To Accept DH's Challenge Or Not To? That Is The Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
To accept DH's challenge or not to? That is the question!

DH is very supportive of my couponing. He loves the fact that we have almost 500 rolls of toilet paper. He likes not having to wonder if he will have peanut butter on any given day. Time isn't an issue for us because I do my shopping while he sleeps. He works midnight shifts and sleeps during the day.

Here's the issue. As he was helping me unload bags from my latest shopping trip, we realized we are on the verge of not being able to close the freezer doors. BOTH freezer doors! I have a side by side refrigerator, so, the freezer on that is small. We also have a huge upright freezer that is, as we say it in the South, slap full!

He said to me in a joling/half-serious manner, "I wonder if you could go without shopping for a month?" Well, I wanted to throw out qualifiers before I accepted his challenge. Do you mean go without buying frozen foods? Could I still get free/cheap deals at Walmart or CVS if they don't go in the fridge or freezer? It would be wasting money if I buy inserts and don't use some of the coupons in them for a whole month? He laughed.

Ahhh...I think I had a mini-panick attack!

Should I prove to him that I can do this? Should I compromise and say no more perishable foods for a month?

Help! :-)
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 PM

RE: To accept DH's challenge or not to? That is the question!

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
It is entirely up to you...but it sounds like you need to forgo the freezer shopping and live out of it for a month, put money back that you save by not shopping...or concentrate on stockpiling pantry items.

You can do it either way! We believe in you! Don't panic yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am so far behind I think I'm First!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!LACECOUPONS has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Go for it no freezer shopping for a month.

There are many forms of death - you can die physically, you can die mentally and you can sadly die from loneliness.

'Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.' -Norman Cousins
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LACECOUPONS For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM

What not to love about a sassy penguin?

My Mood/Status:
Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm not calling you a food hoarder so please don't take it that way, but in an episode of that show a woman had a similar issue and they started pulling things out of her freezers that had expired years ago. So his suggestion might be a very good one for you, if not to just rotate your stock so you dont waste your hard work in spoiled foods. I know in my freezers when they get that full things disappear to only reappear when it's to late. Maybe you could take what you would be spending on those items and buy another freezer or something you really really want!! Good job though!!!

No I'm not one of thoooose couponers!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sassypenguin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Definitely take a break from buying frozen things!

We haven't bought meat other than a few special items since before Christmas . I got a FoodSaver and I have challenged myself to use up all of the things we have in the freezer before I can buy anything new. I can't say I buy much in the way of other things to put in the freezer...other than vegetables and maybe ice cream, , but we aren't buying anything else frozen either.

Each week, I am buying the fresh produce, milk and deli meat/cheese that we need, any really awesome pantry deals, and that is IT.

It is kind of fun to try to use it all up. Tomorrow I am roasting cornish game hens for dinner .
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
If your freezer is full, I'd pass on buying anymore frozen items for now. Maybe spend a day organizing it so you know whats close to expiring. Maybe you could still coupon but possibly for a friend who's freezer needs plumping , or a local food pantry ??
A compromise and you still can coupon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngBuck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassypenguin
I'm not calling you a food hoarder so please don't take it that way, but in an episode of that show a woman had a similar issue and they started pulling things out of her freezers that had expired years ago. So his suggestion might be a very good one for you, if not to just rotate your stock so you dont waste your hard work in spoiled foods. I know in my freezers when they get that full things disappear to only reappear when it's to late. Maybe you could take what you would be spending on those items and buy another freezer or something you really really want!! Good job though!!!

No I'm not one of thoooose couponers!!!
I saw that episode! I don't want to be like that.

I have a lot of butter that was a great price that is taking up quite a bit of space. I also bought several packages of ground Turkey when I found it at a good price.

I think organizing the freezer is a great idea. We certainly don't want to be like the episode of Food Boarders where she had food from the 90's in her freezer.

I will compromise and only buy what we need or, if I buy for my stockpile, nothing can be frozen. If I absolutely can't pass a deal up, I will donate it. (Thinking My Grandma may need a personal shopper....LOL).

Thanks for the input! I'm anxious to see how this goes.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Dont forget March is frozen food month. So get to it now so you lose as little of March as possible!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I LOVE the idea of plumping someone else's freezer....I hadn't thought of that! I do know that I cook out of my freezer alot for folks that are experiencing a need, new baby, someone in the hospital, etc.

Maybe THAT is what I need to do today, it has been so yucky here for the last few days and my arthritis and fibromyalgia are acting up, so cooking from the freezer today.

I didn't know March was frozen food month either! Great to know...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Can't Wait to get to Texas!

My Mood/Status:
jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I would accept his challenge. We are working our way through our freezer because it was full and stuff got pushed to the back and was expired. The same with our pantry- you could not tell what was in it- I emptied it shelf by shelf and found foods that had expired 2-3 years ago.

I subscribe to our local paper so that is only one set of coupons per week and since we are trying to thin out what we have and then concentrate on what we will really use I am refraining from buying other coupons unless it is for something we use a lot of and has a long shelf-life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jibbers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM

listening to the music of the spheres
Buddhist Bon Vivant Pataphysicist!

My Mood/Status:
siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!

With that much food in your freezer, you should be able to go a month without buying frozen food. Easy. I say go for it!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM

My Mood/Status:
bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I say go for it.....I decided I needed to do that and we have been eating out of our stockpile for a month or so....it really is a fun challenge.

Donating to your grandma is a sweet thing to do..I am sure she would appreciate it...you might think also of maybe some of her friends who may need a little help with food. You be surprised at how many older folks don't have enough money to purchase gorceries or they run out of food before the end of the month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bookwormpeg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
Thanks for the ideas! I''m definitely going to give it a shot. I think I'll organize my freezer and pantry Saturday and visit my Grandma on Sunday. Her freezer quit working a couple months ago and she lost everything she had in it. This would be a good way to help her stock her new freezer. I didn't know March was frozen food month. Then I can really stock her freezer for her in March!

I'll let ya know how my freezer cleanout and organization goes! Maybe with pics.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
That would be great...and hey, why not make it interesting, say if you DO go a whole month what is DH willing to contribute as a "reward"? I would go for a pedicure or a massage, or even a foot rub but that is just me....

The Following User Says Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM

My Mood/Status:
, Susuz...DH and I will have to discuss this tonight - minus the pedicure or foot rub!

I have a thing about people touching my feet.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Well, I am sure there is SOMETHING that will motivate you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 05:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Me and my husband just had the same discussion a month ago.we had 2 freezers full of frozen veggies from my couponing and the garden.there wasn't any meat .so I gave my mom enough frozen vegies to last a month and that gave us room for meat.plus I quit couponing for frozen food for a month and been focusing on pantry.now my pantry is half full and so is my moms.I could probably go 3 more weeks without getting any more frozen food.
You can do it! Passing up the deals is a little difficult, but look in your freezer every time you get tempted .
Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Yes, open the doors to your freezer and take a picture. Look at it every time you are tempted to buy more frozen foods!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susuz View Post
I LOVE the idea of plumping someone else's freezer....I hadn't thought of that! I do know that I cook out of my freezer alot for folks that are experiencing a need, new baby, someone in the hospital, etc.

Maybe THAT is what I need to do today, it has been so yucky here for the last few days and my arthritis and fibromyalgia are acting up, so cooking from the freezer today.

I didn't know March was frozen food month either! Great to know...
I wish I could plump my own freezer I haven't gotten the hang of the frozen food deals yet.