No More $1.00 Ground Turkey... Eek!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Meijer is no longer my happy place. :(

My Mood/Status:
IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Unhappy No More $1.00 Ground Turkey... eek!

Was at WalMart tonight and went to my normal freezer area where they have the $1 packs of ground turkey in the meat department (the ones that came in italian or taco flavored)......... They were gone!

In there place were name brand $1.98 a pound packs! I'm sooo disappointed! I don't even care about the nutritional differences between ground beef and ground turkey, my thing was the price...... getting ground meat at $1 per pound really helped me stay on track and I didn't even need coupons for it so I could get as many as I wanted.

I talked with another woman and she said she hadn't found them at a few of the other stores nearby either.... Anyone else finding these anymore? They were just there a week or two ago; I'm just disappointed!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyMom For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM

RE: No More $1.00 Ground Turkey... eek!

I'm Snoopy Dancing My Way To Sales And Deals!

My Mood/Status:
iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMom
Was at WalMart tonight and went to my normal freezer area where they have the $1 packs of ground turkey in the meat department (the ones that came in italian or taco flavored)......... They were gone!

In there place were name brand $1.98 a pound packs! I'm sooo disappointed! I don't even care about the nutritional differences between ground beef and ground turkey, my thing was the price...... getting ground meat at $1 per pound really helped me stay on track and I didn't even need coupons for it so I could get as many as I wanted.

I talked with another woman and she said she hadn't found them at a few of the other stores nearby either.... Anyone else finding these anymore? They were just there a week or two ago; I'm just disappointed!
Do you live near a Save-A-Lot? They sell ground turkey for $1/lb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvadoption For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Havn't seen these in a while here in Kansas City either. We do have a supply in the freezer which we thaw and mix with ground beef for spaghetti, meatloaf and sloppy joes. Makes the beef stretch alot further.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittycatinkc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!IndyMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvadoption View Post
Do you live near a Save-A-Lot? They sell ground turkey for $1/lb.
I'll have to check the save-a-lot. I've never been there but I know they have those store's in Indianapolis,,,, I'll have to go stock up! Are they the same italian or taco flavored ones or are they plain turkey? eithers fine with me!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycatinkc View Post
Havn't seen these in a while here in Kansas City either. We do have a supply in the freezer which we thaw and mix with ground beef for spaghetti, meatloaf and sloppy joes. Makes the beef stretch alot further.
That's what I do too. If I'm really low then I'll just make it as is, but most of the time I'll come home and mix 2 parts turkey to 1 part beef and separate it into bags and label taco or italian on the packs. My DH tells me not to buy the turkey because he doesn't like it but he has no clue that I've been doing this for almost 2 years now. I honestly think the italian one makes my meatloaf and meatballs taste better, and when mixed in pasta sauce I cannot tell any difference. Def awesome for stretching the meat budget!

Last edited by IndyMom; 09-21-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IndyMom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
The butcher at my store told me that Walmart is no longer carrying Jennie-O because someone died from eating it? So until they work out a new contract with a new supplier there won't be any ground turkey.

Please don't criticize me for posting this - I have no idea if any of it is true. Just passing along information I heard.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missdanalu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!iluvadoption has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMom View Post
I'll have to check the save-a-lot. I've never been there but I know they have those store's in Indianapolis,,,, I'll have to go stock up! Are they the same italian or taco flavored ones or are they plain turkey? eithers fine with me!
I buy the plain turkey, so I do not know if they sell the flavored varieties, but it has been $1/lb for years and is always in stock. Hopefully the stores in your area sell it too.

I substituted it for ground beef in a recipe without telling my kids and they didn't even notice, , so now it is all I use!

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
They stopped carrying it at my Walmart, too. I'm really bummed about it as well
Stay-at-Home Mommy to Andrielle (5 years) and Grayden (3 years)

Positive Thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominochic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by missdanalu View Post
The butcher at my store told me that Walmart is no longer carrying Jennie-O because someone died from eating it? So until they work out a new contract with a new supplier there won't be any ground turkey.

Please don't criticize me for posting this - I have no idea if any of it is true. Just passing along information I heard.
You are correct, there was a recall on ground turkey issued on 9/11.

Arkansas Firm Recalls Ground Turkey Products Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination

Fortunately, the ground turkey sold by Save-A-Lot (in my area) was not among those affected.

Last edited by iluvadoption; 09-21-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
melaynen has posted more than 10 good deals
I have never seen Any ground turkey for $1 anything. The cheapest I have found was $2.50. Interesting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melaynen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvadoption

Arkansas Firm Recalls Ground Turkey Products Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination

Fortunately, the ground turkey sold by Save-A-Lot (in my area) was not among those affected.
Thanks the butcher couldn't believe that I hadn't heard about it. We don't watch the news much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaynen
I have never seen Any ground turkey for $1 anything. The cheapest I have found was $2.50. Interesting
Ditto! But it's still less expensive than the 93/7 so I like to use it.

I never thought to mix the two. That's an interesting idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to missdanalu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 AM

roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvadoption View Post

The recall doesn't include Jennie-O turkey in it - were those products not affected? And if not, then why did the stores stop carrying them?

Friends don't let friends pay retail

I'm a member of @CoffeemateUSA Brew Crew
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
The $1/lb ground turkey is often kept in one of the freezer cases and not with the fresh ground turkey / beef. It usually comes in a tube like the ground sausage does. HTH

Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
I just did a little more research, and found that in April of 2011, there was a recall of certain Jenny-O turkey products. This recall is in addition, and not related to, the recall in my pp.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Even...ease/index.asp

Fortunately, there are plenty of ground turkey distributers whose products were not involved in either recall.

Last edited by iluvadoption; 09-23-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Loving all the good deals lately :)

My Mood/Status:
ptangel2008 has posted more than 300 great deals!ptangel2008 has posted more than 300 great deals!ptangel2008 has posted more than 300 great deals!ptangel2008 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I don't use the $1 ground Turkey because it's not really "ground" it's pasty and mechanically separated meat. Yuck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptangel2008 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptangel2008
I don't use the $1 ground Turkey because it's not really "ground" it's pasty and mechanically separated meat. Yuck.
In some cases perhaps, but not all.

Like all food there are variations between brands and how it is processed.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
as of about 3 weeks ago Jennie-O was at my Walmart but it was $1.75, i was so upset; it is normally $1. i only bought 3 rolls. Bc of that price I would normally buy like 5 or more at a time, not any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to courtneydmartin21 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 06:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
I hope they get some in stock soon. Still none at my WM. And I hate paying almost $4.00/lb for the 93/7 ground beef.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
Sweetbegonia has posted more than 25 good deals
There were some about two weeks ago at my walmart but I haven't seen them since. The space where they are supposed to be has even been replaced.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 AM

yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
In LV we have tons of Hispanic markets with cheap meats to PM with. Its easy because they'll list the fat content like 85/15, 93/7 etc... if you're successful you can score under $2/lb for ground beef knowing you PM correctly.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM

My Mood/Status:
mkozan has posted more than 50 good deals
My store also got rid of the Jennie-O rolls. They now have Perdue ground turkey rolls for $1.98/lb.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:22 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have never seen a Jennie-O turkey roll.
We always had (in WB PA) the 1.98 perdue roll.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 AM

2014 YTD Savings: $11000
My Mood/Status:
rdhtwn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rdhtwn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rdhtwn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rdhtwn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rdhtwn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rdhtwn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rdhtwn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
What section of the freezer are the rolls of turkey in?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhtwn View Post
What section of the freezer are the rolls of turkey in?
They were in the middle freezer aisle, also where the corndogs and taquitos are located.
The Following User Says Thank You to courtneydmartin21 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Mommyof3src
Wish Arkansas here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMom View Post

We don't have it either... I used it for EVERYTHING... kinda upset about it... looked all over the place here and NOPE nada.