Don't Buy Milk At Rite Aid.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Gian' Iggle

Tirade has posted more than 100 good deals!Tirade has posted more than 100 good deals!
Don't buy milk at Rite Aid.

I usually purchase milk at my local Rite Aid because they carry a brand that I like and can't easily buy elsewhere. Today (Thursday), all of the gallon jugs were marked with a May 30 (Monday) expiration date. All of the half-gallon jugs were marked June 9, so it's obvious that they had a milk delivery after the May 30 jugs were put on the shelf. I spoke to the manager and was told that they have to keep the milk on the shelf until two days before the expiration date. Two days! I asked the manager who is going to buy a gallon of milk that is set to expire in two days. No response. I asked if this was store policy or corporate policy. The manager did not know. I called up the Rite Aid corporate number about this and was told by the CSR that "someone would get back to me" (during Memorial Day weekend? I'm not going to hold my breath).

So to anyone who purchases perishables at Rite Aid:

DOUBLE CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATES

These stingy ******** don't care if their product goes bad a day or two after you buy it.

P.S. Before someone responds with "You can drink milk past the expiration date": yes, this is true in theory. I say "in theory" because the milk I've purchased at this particular store has gone bad on or 1-2 days after the date on the jug, which indicates that they're either miserly or incompetent when it comes to storing the milk as well. I intend to bring this issue up as well if Rite Aid decides to contact me.

Last edited by Tirade; 05-26-2011 at 02:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tirade For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM

RE: Don't buy milk at Rite Aid.

feeling so blessed!!

My Mood/Status:
londymommy has posted more than 200 great deals!londymommy has posted more than 200 great deals!londymommy has posted more than 200 great deals!
Yea even when I worked at Walgreens I NEVER bought the milk there, unless I was using it that day and the grocery store was close. I don't buy milk from drug stores.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and mommy to DD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM

My Mood/Status:
hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I buy all my milk at riteaid. Its almost $1 cheaper shelf price then my local store plus I get my 20% off so that makes it another .60 cheaper. I always check the dates but I have only had problems with it one time when the date was good but the milk inside was spoiled smelling and Ive had that problem with milk from other stores too. I think its a great reminder to always check dates of perishables at drug stores especially since they dont sell as much. But I wouldnt say dont buy milk there I only buy milk there it saves me $1.60 a gallon and we go thru several gallons a week. I just wish they carried skim milk here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbaqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Many times "expiration" dated are sell by dates, not use by dates.
Yesterday I was at my grocery store and they had some chicken drumsticks on "special" at half price. The "expiration" date was 5/26. The chicken is fine, I froze it and will use it later. The store just can't keep it in a refrigerator cooler anymore.

I understand what you are saying. But milk today is very different from milk a decade ago. It's ultra-pasteurized - the process of killing just about any and all living organisms in it. Whereas milk used to actually spoil after 2-3 hours out of the refrigerator, this new milk doesn't, and can stay in the fridge for a while after the "expiration" date. have you seen those single serve milk cartons for sale at the stores, usually in a pack of 6? That milk does not need to be refrigerated at all before opening (Horizon Organic and Organic Valley brands come to mind). M2C.

If you don't feel comfortable then by all means don't buy it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dannae7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
So a better title would be check the expiration date....Some houses can easily go thruogh a gallon of milk in two days.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coupid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM

leYGar has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leYGar has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leYGar has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leYGar has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leYGar has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leYGar has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I usually purchase milk at my local Rite Aid because they carry a brand that I like and can't easily buy elsewhere. Today (Thursday), all of the gallon jugs were marked with a May 30 (Monday) expiration date. All of the half-gallon jugs were marked June 9, so it's obvious that they had a milk delivery after the May 30 jugs were put on the shelf. I spoke to the manager and was told that they have to keep the milk on the shelf until two days before the expiration date. Two days! I asked the manager who is going to buy a gallon of milk that is set to expire in two days. No response. I asked if this was store policy or corporate policy. The manager did not know. I called up the Rite Aid corporate number about this and was told by the CSR that "someone would get back to me" (during Memorial Day weekend? I'm not going to hold my breath).

So to anyone who purchases perishables at Rite Aid:

DOUBLE CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATES

These stingy ******** don't care if their product goes bad a day or two after you buy it.

P.S. Before someone responds with "You can drink milk past the expiration date": yes, this is true in theory. I say "in theory" because the milk I've purchased at this particular store has gone bad on or 1-2 days after the date on the jug, which indicates that they're either miserly or incompetent when it comes to storing the milk as well. I intend to bring this issue up as well if Rite Aid decides to contact me.
You can drink milk past the expiration date!!!

Adoptive father to a huge stockpile of goodies

ISO a bad woman!!
The Following User Says Thank You to leYGar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Isn't that actually a "sell by" date, though? Milk is usually good 7 days or so past the date from what I've seen.

And by the way, the reason those particular "organic" milks can sit out for forever is because literally everything bad - AND BENEFICIAL - for you is killed off. I wouldn't drink it.

Last edited by veriria; 05-26-2011 at 03:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to veriria For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 03:12 PM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
i find milk at local grocery stores with just a few days left too. i always check milk dates before i buy anywhere, i like milk and bread to be fresh. i'm sure that your rite aid's milk is not always that close to exp date so i wouldn't stop buying there altogether. i love the 20% off milk price. milk is almost as bad as gas prices.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM

knamm3 has posted more than 25 good deals
I also buy all my milk at Rite Aid with my discount its always cheaper than the grocery stores. At my local store I'm not the only one that has this figured out as every Sunday afternoon they are out of milk!! So no worries about dates here.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!
is it in the ad? b/c if it is pm at wm . thats my logic on everything
The Following User Says Thank You to TraciBarnes23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM

I HAVE A FEVER AND THE ONLY CURE IS MORE COUPONS!

My Mood/Status:
danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
i am sorry this happened to you but i am not sure i see it as a huge deal...i always look at the exp date before i buy something like that, and i have seen close exp dates at the grocery store too it does stink but it is not yet exp. so what would they do with it?

With that being said our family goes through a gallon a day and so that is prob. why i don't think it is a big deal, but i do know people that don't go through a gallon a week
The Following User Says Thank You to danielephant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!arcosta81 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Practically any drug store/grocery store/mass merchandiser keeps milk on the shelf until the day before it "expires". The vendors won't pull the milk until they absolutely have to. Why pull the milk and throw it away when someone might use it? I don't mind buying it close to the date if I'm planning on using it soon. I make alot of pudding when my milk is about to expire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arcosta81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM

My Mood/Status:
kitchen-klutter has posted more than 1 good deal
It also depends on the type of milk you are buying. Whole and 2% can spoil very quickly, 1% and especially non fat last much, much longer.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Getting settled in my new house!

My Mood/Status:
armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!armywife80 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We can easily go through a gallon of milk in 2 days in my house. Even if it expires it is good for a few days after the date. We drink it all the time after the date and we are fine I don't think it's that big of a deal but that's just me. I just wouldn't buy it there anymore if I were you or ask if you can have a discount since it is close to expiration.
SAHM to DS(7)

and DS(5)

Last edited by armywife80; 05-26-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriria
Isn't that actually a "sell by" date, though? Milk is usually good 7 days or so past the date from what I've seen.

And by the way, the reason those particular "organic" milks can sit out for forever is because literally everything bad - AND BENEFICIAL - for you is killed off. I wouldn't drink it.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. And it's not just "organic" milks, conventional too.

Quote:
It's ultra-pasteurized - the process of killing just about any and all living organisms in it.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
mccrearya has posted more than 400 great deals!mccrearya has posted more than 400 great deals!mccrearya has posted more than 400 great deals!mccrearya has posted more than 400 great deals!mccrearya has posted more than 400 great deals!
Rite Aid sells the hormone free milk that my grocery store does not. Plus 20% off...great deal!! I always look at exp dates, even in the grocery stores
The Following User Says Thank You to mccrearya For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM

JUST MARRIED!!!!
Happy mom of 3 teenagers and an 11 yr old

2014 YTD Savings: $4000
My Mood/Status:
sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sle061276 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
it wouldnt matter to me these kids go through a gallon every couple of days so it doesnt matter if it is a couple of days from the sell by date it will get drank before that date anyway but if it was just for one person or a household that doesnt go through it like crazy i can see where that would be a problem
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!babyrn has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I buy all my milk at RA since the price is great! I always check the expiration dates and try to get one from the back. I remember years ago, my mom would go to the local Wags and ask the manager if she could buy the milk expiring that day for 1.00. She did this all the time!
, 3 year old DS
, and 1 year old DD
Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannae7 View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I said. And it's not just "organic" milks, conventional too.
Yes.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Gian' Iggle

Tirade has posted more than 100 good deals!Tirade has posted more than 100 good deals!
To all of the people telling me not to worry about the expiration date: please read my original post. I already explained that this particular store has a problem with milk going bad on or very close to the expiration date. Again, please read the full post before commenting. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcosta81 View Post
Practically any drug store/grocery store/mass merchandiser keeps milk on the shelf until the day before it "expires". The vendors won't pull the milk until they absolutely have to. Why pull the milk and throw it away when someone might use it? I don't mind buying it close to the date if I'm planning on using it soon. I make alot of pudding when my milk is about to expire.
I've never seen any store leave milk out that close to the expiration date in all of my years of purchasing milk. And in any case, this store had fresher milk available--why not put a few of the fresh jugs in the back for people who need it to last past Monday? They lost at least one sale because of their stinginess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife80 View Post
We can easily go through a gallon of milk in 2 days in my house. Even if it expires it is good for a few days after the date. We drink it all the time after the date and we are fine I don't think it's that big of a deal but that's just me. I just wouldn't buy it there anymore if I were you or ask if you can have a discount since it is close to expiration.
Good idea with the discount!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 PM

My Mood/Status:
Southernkygal has posted more than 300 great deals!Southernkygal has posted more than 300 great deals!Southernkygal has posted more than 300 great deals!Southernkygal has posted more than 300 great deals!
I always buy milk from my local rite aid stores - its cheaper with my 20% discount than any other store in my area. Luckily the dates always have at least a week or longer as an expiration date, sometimes more than that. Ive never had a problem with it spoiling.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM

AminehDestin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!AminehDestin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!AminehDestin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!AminehDestin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!AminehDestin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!AminehDestin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post

I've never seen any store leave milk out that close to the expiration date in all of my years of purchasing milk. And in any case, this store had fresher milk available--why not put a few of the fresh jugs in the back for people who need it to last past Monday? They lost at least one sale because of their stinginess.
Just a personal note here, if your store is anything like it is here, it isn't up to the store. Milk is delivered by a vendor and they choose what comes in and what goes out. The name brand milk, they'll pull if it's going out of date before they will be back (we get a delivery 2X a week) but the "off brand" we mark down 2 days before the sale by date and then take out of the coolers on that date and poor it out. It isn't stinginess, or just not wanting to carry any with longer expiration dates. Simply a service provided by an outside vendor that we just happen to sale. I don't know if this is true throughout the company, but it could be an explanation for you based on my experience working at RA.
The Following User Says Thank You to AminehDestin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
Countrychickenmom has posted more than 25 good deals
I'm new here, so this may sound like a stupid question but how do you get 20% off milk?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 PM

VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Sorry if this sounds rude, but I don't see why you're freaking out and why you felt the need to post a "don't but milk at RA" thread. A general rule of thumb is to check the exp on perishables. If the date doesn't work for you, don't buy it, simple as that.

If we were to go by your theory that a store is horrible because they leave milk on the shelf 2 days before exp, then you'd also have to post "don't buy milk at albertsons", "don't buy milk at Safeway", "don't buy milk at Fred Meyer", and "don't buy milk at whole foods" threads... Because all of these stores do the same things. A 2 day expiration wouldnt work for my family either, so i simply wouldn't buy it.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Niddi has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I buy milk at Rite Aid all the time and I don't mind getting the ones that expire in 2 days. They mark them down (if there is any left) and my experience has been that they stay good for about 5 days past expiration. I just plan to make cream soup, pudding and yogurt the weeks I catch one on markdown.