Why Do Some People Think They Have To Nitpick And Scrutinize Everything Someone Else

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
why do some people think they have to nitpick and scrutinize everything someone else

posts. I understand if you think they made some bad transactions with improper coupon usage etc, but you could always pm them if your criticism is truly constructive. You could also just post a question about their post. I don't think the point here is to laud it over people and sometimes nastily pick apart everything someone posts. Sometimes people have even been wrongly accused. Sometimes criticism is constructive and sometimes destructive. It's all in how it's done. I am just noticing a trend and it's just not cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It is what it is.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to couponcrazee For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM

RE: why do some people think they have to nitpick and scrutinize everything someone else

DawnMarie

My Mood/Status:
thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
some people may not realize they are coming off the way others may see it. It is sometimes hard to tell the tone of a comment, being that we are just seeing words. With that being said, yes, some people are just rude and feel the need to tell people what they are doing wrong, or what they did wrong, others are truly just trying to help.

Take into consideration, the OP is opening themself up for good and bad comments, no matter what it is that they are posting. We can only hope that everyone will be friendly and considerate to other members' feelings and thoughts.

maybe you could try to comment on something you feel that is/was handled improperly in your eyes, to help ease some frustration. In some cases, they OP and those who comment may not even see it as you did, and not be bothered in the slightest.

Hope you have a great day, and a great weekend!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thaprecious1x For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 AM

RE: why do some people think they have to nitpick and scrutinize everything someone else

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Sorry if people are being harsh. Many times I believe folks are concerned about newbies seeing posts with questionable or even improper coupon usage and thinking it's okay. And that's the impression they will get if everyone just posts "great job," etc., so they post about usage they find questionable in order to let people know that the usage may not be entirely appropriate. PMing someone wouldn't do any good in that case, KWIM?

Last edited by Kayline; 10-08-2010 at 09:28 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kayline For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 AM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I see your point OP and it is valid. HOWEVER, there are cases when the mistake should be discussed openly so that others will not follow.

Example, one says, I was able to use X coupon from Y source and got all my items free with overage. Poster shares source of the coupons since many are interested to do the same deal. BUT it turns out, the coupon is NOT good for the item on sale where she got the overage.

For me, this kind of posts should be discussed OPENLY saying that it wasn't the right coupon for the product. That is not rude to say that. Now, if someone says, "You're a thief for doing that since that is the wrong coupon to use!" That is outright rude and hurtful not considering if it was a case that OP is just starting and does not know.

Thread starts heading south when the OP becomes defensive and say, "cashier took it and it didn't beep at the register! I will continue to do it my way" That is when most members will take offense and say in different tones that IT DOES NOT MEAN TRXN IS OKAY JUST BECAUSE REGISTER TOOK IT.

Can anyone stop people if they continue to do shady things even when they're told it is outright wrong? NO, but it is not right to let the discussion continue and make it appear it is okay at the cashier and store's expense. We complain about stores when they treat us like thieves, we should also make sure we give them no reason to call us such.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!couponcrazee has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I am all for discussing deals, but we all know sometimes people are just plain rude and come off accusing folks without giving the discussion part a chance. Newbies may not share because of this also. I just feel we could be kinder that's all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It is what it is.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to couponcrazee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Don't hate what you can't imitate.
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
It's not just with posts about improper coupon usage it's kindness, PERIOD! When I first joined this forum a year ago, everyone was super friendly and helpful and I loved it here. Fast forward to now. People are just downright rude. Finding a helping hand/friendliness is hard to come by. I cannot tell you how many questions I see someone ask and they go unanswered. Have we ever stopped to think that this is why we see improper coupon usage? If someone that literally has no clue is asking a question and no one answers they may think in their mind that if there were a problem with what the proposed, someone would have spoke up. No, it's not a good assumption to make but if you've posted asking for advice and no one responds...who else are you to turn to but to go out into the coupon world yourself and give it a go?!?

I have personally had people PM me asking for help and being super grateful when I provide it. In fact, I just had a user send me an RAOK of a raincheck + 12 coupons for some oatmeal I wanted but wasn't able to acquire. She said it was because I was always so helpful with scenarios and questions.

I think that there is an overall greed with people these days. I think it's partially due to the economy. I understand everyone is hard up these days but have we forgotten that it's always more satisfying to give to others and that what we put into the world is what we will get back from it? I will be the first to admit that I used to have the mindset, "Every man for himself," but I have changed my outlook on things.

When we picture a couponer, the stereotype is a middle-aged woman with children, right? What about elderly people that are on fixed incomes that choose to use coupons to make their money go farther? What about college students who are attending full time and working to try to make enough money to stay afloat? What about a young single mother who just had a baby? Would you really feel right leaving them in the dark?

Sorry to go off on my own little rant here, but I follow what the OP said. We need to all be more kind and giving. Whether it be with goods or just simple advice. Yes, some people need to be corrected but there is a right way and there is a wrong way. And if someone makes a post and then receives huge criticism for it, do you really think they're going to want to keep posting? Everyone is important here and all of us together is what makes this forum function.

Last edited by missteena; 10-10-2010 at 03:02 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to missteena For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Proud 501st & Rebel Legion Member
Star Wars fan

My Mood/Status:
miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!miralys has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have to agree, there is a right way and a wrong way to discuss things. It's called constructive criticism for a reason.

For the most part, I see people who are still helpful here and I am very grateful. This is still one of the most positive boards I visit. I would hope we can all agree to keep it that way
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miralys For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Excited for 2011 Savings!

My Mood/Status:
maryclayton10 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!maryclayton10 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!maryclayton10 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!maryclayton10 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!maryclayton10 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!maryclayton10 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!maryclayton10 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by missteena View Post
It's not just with posts about improper coupon usage it's kindness, PERIOD! When I first joined this forum a year ago, everyone was super friendly and helpful and I loved it here. Fast forward to now. People are just downright rude. Finding a helping hand/friendliness is hard to come by. I cannot tell you how many questions I see someone ask and they go unanswered. Have we ever stopped to think that this is why we see improper coupon usage? If someone that literally has no clue is asking a question and no one answers they may think in their mind that if there were a problem with what the proposed, someone would have spoke up. No, it's not a good assumption to make but if you've posted asking for advice and no one responds...who else are you to turn to but to go out into the coupon world yourself and give it a go?!?

I have personally had people PM me asking for help and being super grateful when I provide it. In fact, I just had a user send me an RAOK of a raincheck + 12 coupons for some oatmeal I wanted but wasn't able to acquire. She said it was because I was always so helpful with scenarios and questions.

I think that there is an overall greed with people these days. I think it's partially due to the economy. I understand everyone is hard up these days but have we forgotten that it's always more satisfying to give to others and that what we put into the world is what we will get back from it? I will be the first to admit that I used to have the mindset, "Every man for himself," but I have changed my outlook on things.

When we picture a couponer, the stereotype is a middle-aged woman with children, right? What about elderly people that are on fixed incomes that choose to use coupons to make their money go farther? What about college students who are attending full time and working to try to make enough money to stay afloat? What about a young single mother who just had a baby? Would you really feel right leaving them in the dark?

Sorry to go off on my own little rant here, but I follow what the OP said. We need to all be more kind and giving. Whether it be with goods or just simple advice. Yes, some people need to be corrected but there is a right way and there is a wrong way. And if someone makes a post and then receives huge criticism for it, do you really think they're going to want to keep posting? Everyone is important here and all of us together is what makes this forum function.
I agree 100%. Instead of assuming (we all know what happens when we do that ), we should point out improper coupon usage, but it a nice way, with the assumption that it was an honest mistake.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maryclayton10 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 PM

rainy days are perfect for coupon organizing

My Mood/Status:
gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!gasper77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by missteena View Post

I too have noticed this and well said ..I have many a post go unanswered or only 1....
, baby girlie~ 4 years
, mama's boy~3 years

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gasper77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM

is wishing my son would listen to me!!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryclayton10 View Post
I agree 100%. Instead of assuming (we all know what happens when we do that ), we should point out improper coupon usage, but it a nice way, with the assumption that it was an honest mistake.
You can be as nice as you want to point out improper usage and people will still fight to break the rules, even when they see it in writing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Devins mom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Lfwh has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have been fortunate enough to have not experienced any rude comments here at AFC. It's been a very friendly and supportive place. But one area that I don't quite understand is the lack of thanking a lot of times. It's not so much for the number of thanks, but I may post or start a couple of threads and then not know if someone read them and responded.

If one is given a thank you then it shows up in the Reputations and you can see who responded. I've posted threads that I didn't bother to check because I didn't know anyone had responded, or I may check it weeks later and see that someone did comment but I didn't check back and had no idea that there were any replies. For me, the "Thanks" are just a way of keeping track of the threads.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Thomas Paine 12/23/1776
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lfwh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
BreaMarie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!BreaMarie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!BreaMarie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!BreaMarie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!BreaMarie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!BreaMarie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!BreaMarie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfwh View Post
I have been fortunate enough to have not experienced any rude comments here at AFC. It's been a very friendly and supportive place. But one area that I don't quite understand is the lack of thanking a lot of times. It's not so much for the number of thanks, but I may post or start a couple of threads and then not know if someone read them and responded.

If one is given a thank you then it shows up in the Reputations and you can see who responded. I've posted threads that I didn't bother to check because I didn't know anyone had responded, or I may check it weeks later and see that someone did comment but I didn't check back and had no idea that there were any replies. For me, the "Thanks" are just a way of keeping track of the threads.
Any thread that you've started or responded to will show up in your subscribed threads (which you can see by clicking on the reputations tab), even if no one thanks you for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BreaMarie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Meow

My Mood/Status:
endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaprecious1x View Post
some people may not realize they are coming off the way others may see it. It is sometimes hard to tell the tone of a comment, being that we are just seeing words. With that being said, yes, some people are just rude and feel the need to tell people what they are doing wrong, or what they did wrong, others are truly just trying to help.

Take into consideration, the OP is opening themself up for good and bad comments, no matter what it is that they are posting. We can only hope that everyone will be friendly and considerate to other members' feelings and thoughts.

maybe you could try to comment on something you feel that is/was handled improperly in your eyes, to help ease some frustration. In some cases, they OP and those who comment may not even see it as you did, and not be bothered in the slightest.

Hope you have a great day, and a great weekend!
I couldn't of said it any better, and everyone else you also have great points.

I haven't experienced any rudeness myself or seen any.

Cat Lover.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endlesoul For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have always found most everyone on here very positive and helpful. This is my favorite couponing site. I hope things get better for you.

ISO .55/1 or 1.00/2 2lt q.s (Especially for Sunkist products)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vegas1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
Lol. I am having a great time here at afc. I was just pointing out something that i hope is not becoming a trend. Thanks for all your imput. Seems we all agree that common courtesy and respect is the best policy.

It is what it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to couponcrazee For This Useful Post: