Why Do People Complain About Having No Money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Why do people complain about having no money?

This is by far one of the most annoying pet peeves to me. When I hear people can not buy things for their children or say they are "broke", but yet they have no problem paying for their toys it drives me nuts!! We went through a rough patch many years ago when we both were laid off at the same time. We cancelled the cable, cell phone, THE INTERNET, and traded in my car for a used one. I never complained about not having money because there are so many people that REALLY have no money.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM

RE: Why do people complain about having no money?

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nattsgirl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yea. Sometimes when I hear myself talking about how I have no money, which I don't have a lot, but I DO have what I need to get by with some extra on the way, I feel horrible knowing there are many less unfortunate people out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rasha
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In love with my knight and shinning armor, Natt
parents to our fishy baby, TK
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nattsgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 09:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I guess if you look you can always find someone worse off than yourself.......I think sometimes people tend to have different priorities or are willing to make certain sacrafices.

Frugalista mom to:
DD(12),
DS(9),
DD(8), Twin Girls (7)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4my5kds For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Spending too much time on afc to finish my...

My Mood/Status:
cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I wouldn't begrudge anyone on here the internet. We all know that the money we save by learning on here more than pays for the internet everymonth. Dh is unemployed right now, but between savings on everything under the sun, surreys and needing it for selling our home to do a MAJOR downsizing and moving accross the country, it is a NEED for us right now.

I completely understand what you are saying though. I know plenty of people at work who are on all kinds of assistance (yes, they are working and everyone needs some sort of help every now and then) but they drive nicer cars than even our managers, go out partying all of the time and one in particular took her tax "return" (how is it a return if you don't pay any taxes to begin with? topic for another thread.........) and went on a cruise for 10 days. Must be nice to live it up on our tax paying dime. Although dh is unemployed, we have payed more taxes than alot of people earn EVERY year since we have been married. What's a tax return !

The joys of being responsible.........

And please don't flame me, I know there are plenty of good, honest, hardworking people who are broke......I have been one of them.............but we all make choices and choose how we react to the situations that life throws our way. As my mom always says. There is nothing wrong with being poor, only something wrong with having a poor attitude and not trying to change your situation. She grew up poor and so did we when we were very young. My parents killed themselves to get us out of it. While we were never "rich," we had what we needed and little extras.

I hope everyone who is going through hard times right now, gets through them and soon. I have a little pitty party every now and then, but it doesn't do any good to stay there, so I try to get out of it asap and move on to the next thing that will help.

Didn't mean to highjack your thread. I feel your pain.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
my4psinapod has posted more than 150 good deals!my4psinapod has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cundiff2001 View Post
I wouldn't begrudge anyone on here the internet. We all know that the money we save by learning on here more than pays for the internet everymonth. Dh is unemployed right now, but between savings on everything under the sun, surreys and needing it for selling our home to do a MAJOR downsizing and moving accross the country, it is a NEED for us right now.

I completely understand what you are saying though. I know plenty of people at work who are on all kinds of assistance (yes, they are working and everyone needs some sort of help every now and then) but they drive nicer cars than even our managers, go out partying all of the time and one in particular took her tax "return" (how is it a return if you don't pay any taxes to begin with? topic for another thread.........) and went on a cruise for 10 days. Must be nice to live it up on our tax paying dime. Although dh is unemployed, we have payed more taxes than alot of people earn EVERY year since we have been married. What's a tax return !

The joys of being responsible.........

And please don't flame me, I know there are plenty of good, honest, hardworking people who are broke......I have been one of them.............but we all make choices and choose how we react to the situations that life throws our way. As my mom always says. There is nothing wrong with being poor, only something wrong with having a poor attitude and not trying to change your situation. She grew up poor and so did we when we were very young. My parents killed themselves to get us out of it. While we were never "rich," we had what we needed and little extras.

I hope everyone who is going through hard times right now, gets through them and soon. I have a little pitty party every now and then, but it doesn't do any good to stay there, so I try to get out of it asap and move on to the next thing that will help.

Didn't mean to highjack your thread. I feel your pain.
just as she said about the hijacking your post!
I so understand where you are coming from also. Yes I have the our funds are low flu but we also are currently in the process of rebuilding our finances ourself. My DH had a great job delivered fuel worked 12-16 hours a day (no I am not lying we'd go at least 2 days without seeing each other) was offered a great position then all of a sudden bam they filed bankruptcy and shut down the local division.Yes I work but I figured my check would only cover rent and both car payments after that what else was left was gas money to get me back and fourth to work. I was ready to let go of a car,move into a 2 bedroom,get rid of everything we didn't need and keep the basics. We made the ultimate sacrafice and DH went back OTR as much as it pains us to be apart we see no other way.He looked day and night went to many possible jobs and nothing. Yes it's only been 6 months but we saved our selves and the one major support we got was from here all the learning I have recieved on savings.

We also have a friend who was still working when DH lost his job but there shortly after lost his. He has been looking but do to his wifes strict restrictions cannot land a job. She requires that he work only days and have weekends off.I tried helping him get a job where I work he would have had to work nights and weekends this was a no go. My DH offered to team with him OTR but she refused and now they are living out of their car with their 3 yo. I offered them my DD room till they could get back on their feet but she is to good for that. They went on all the assistance they could get just to make it. I found them a 3bdrm apt rent free all they had to do was clean apts for 20 hrs a week but she was worried about losing the assistance and didn't like the location. She can't get a job because she has never worked so they have decided to move cross country with no place to stay to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

I do wish them luck but I am also thinking with her guidelines on him landing a job they we take a long time to rebuild what they lituarly lost. I feel at this point she needs to let him work where he can at what ever is offered. I was getting tired of always hearing the pitty me stories from them as I feeel why are you asking me for help when you refuse to help yourselves.
, Angela 12
, & Alexis 2
. MY DH is an OTR Driver and I am a corrections officer
. I am addicted to coupons! I think saving is my major weakness!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to my4psinapod For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!gltkar has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
maybe not the same exact topic but it made me think...

Its pathetic when a young 20 something male or female (appears able bodied and satisfactorily dressed and groomed) stands outside Walmart or Target smoking cigarettes and drinking a 20 oz cola
- and then panhandling----"hey lady can you spare some change?"
Sorry for the rant

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gltkar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 AM

My Mood/Status:
KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!KPEM has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
OH I am so glad it is not just me. The big fancy car or truck thing is the one that bothers me the most!! I drive a KIA because I can't afford a Toyota. Over the years I have known someone that has told me they may be losing their home and yet they are on their 3rd $40,000 car! Trust me I could have alot more but I do not complain.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KPEM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 AM

Proud Member of the Stockpile Mafia

My Mood/Status:
sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I know that I am sometimes guilty of complaining about "no money"....but for stupid stuff, vacations, extras, stuff like that. I then try to tell myself look at what you really do have...the important stuff. Healthy/Happy family...a Beautiful home...Food on the table, $ for bills...a Huge stockpile that was mostly FREE ()etc. I think we all have days that we wish we have more, that is only natural. My big pet peeve is people that buy themselves EVERYTHING and their kids have nothing...clothes that don't fit them, etc... AARRGHH!! Drives me nuts, but I see it all the time at my kids schools.
and Daughters
And owner of the most Beautifulest

and
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sleepyshopper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 AM

is busy, busy, busy!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
childofsolitude has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!childofsolitude has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!childofsolitude has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!childofsolitude has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!childofsolitude has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!childofsolitude has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I think people who complain they don't have money aren't trying hard enough. I make much less than most people and I'm still able to save 25% of my paychecks every month. If you truly consider yourself "broke", do something to fix your situation! If you're a SAHM, try to add some income to your husband's by selling some stuff on ebay. How about getting rid of that 600 channel cable package? STOP GOING OUT TO EAT SO DARN MUCH! I hate to sound mean but I have no sympathy for people who complain so much about not having money but do nothing to fix it. I know times are hard and layoffs do happen. I have a coworker whose husband was laid off. He recently went in in for an interview to work in my store's deli department. As my coworker would say "It's not what we wanted, but it's a paycheck". You do what you have to in order to get by.
live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to childofsolitude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 AM

I HAVE A FEVER AND THE ONLY CURE IS MORE COUPONS!

My Mood/Status:
danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
It kills me to see people like that buying beer or ciggys...no offense to anyone, but WOW if you don't have money to get what your kids need, WHAT IN THE WORLD are these people thinking getting a 24 pack and a carton of marb. reds!?

That is what KILLS me!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to danielephant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 AM

entropygirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!entropygirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!entropygirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!entropygirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!entropygirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!entropygirl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I always frame what I say to my son from the standpoint of SAVING MONEY. I never said I'm broke, even when I was poor, instead I just say no or explain why it's not a good decision. If you spend more on toys there's less for food and vice versa. Instead of buying fast food out, we eat before we leave the house or I bring snacks. Little things add up. This goes across the board, every toy and item of clothing gets the same scrutiny. He laughed when I admitted that I'm stingy because he knows it's true! I think that no matter how much money you have, you should be careful with it.

When I was poor I complained about it to my friends a lot because it's stressful and you have to find some release, but not in front of my son. Then again, I was trying very hard and couldn't even spend $5 on a movie and was living on someone's couch. Can you complain if you're genuinely making that effort?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to entropygirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 AM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielephant View Post
It kills me to see people like that buying beer or ciggys...no offense to anyone, but WOW if you don't have money to get what your kids need, WHAT IN THE WORLD are these people thinking getting a 24 pack and a carton of marb. reds!?

That is what KILLS me!

I know what you mean, when I worked in Oncology we had an assistance program for our patients in need....food, meds, clothing, ALL provided by the people who worked in the department who already gave so much, emotionally, physicially, but still cared to go the extra mile.

We would have families that didn't have anything to eat in the house, so we would load up the groceries, carry out to the car, and there on the seat, 4 cartons of cigs, 2 cases of beer, etc. Now, I know that quitting smoking is one of the hardest things there is to do but if your kids don't have FOOD I think I could manage.......So, no flames from me girl!

I am so far behind I think I'm First!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
AND, at our house, we aren't hurting, our 401K took a beating, DH took a job that is 3 hrs away to be near his dad who was terminally ill that paid 1/2 of what he made before. My DD is 10, so when she comes home asking for the overpriced clothes, or whatever I tell her that Dad and I decided 3 years ago that the economy was heading south so we CUT back on everything and choose to spend our money on other things, whether it be to help family members in need (Who all seem to fall into the eating out, smoking, spend more than we make category and have been CUT OFF), help people in our community that are in need, send boxes to the soldiers each week. It is a lesson that I hope she is learning.

I am so far behind I think I'm First!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM

baby it's cold outside
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Momma D has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My sister in law has recently started complaining about being broke...Let's see he's an attorney and she's in sales they make about 150k a year...They upgraded to a new house because she was having a baby...4 bedroom instead of 3 for one kid...drives a bmw lease, he has a new truck, and spent more on a bday cake for my nephews first birthday than I spend a week on groceries. .

Lifes about choices. Our choices often dictate what our life will be like. Granted there are some things that are unavoidable. (My dh is in the building industry. He had no control over the nosedive in building) But we decided I'd stay home with the kids and sometimes it is very difficult to make ends meet and we are "broke". But only in the unimportant stuff, we have EVERYTHING we need and more.

wife of Tim
Mom to Brendan (22)
Luke (8)
& Emily (3)
and ...Domino
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Momma D For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 AM

Loving the sunshine

My Mood/Status:
moochelle has posted more than 200 great deals!moochelle has posted more than 200 great deals!moochelle has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gltkar View Post
Its pathetic when a young 20 something male or female (appears able bodied and satisfactorily dressed and groomed) stands outside Walmart or Target smoking cigarettes and drinking a 20 oz cola
- and then panhandling----"hey lady can you spare some change?"
Sorry for the rant
I think this is when you say, "No I don't but I will gladly get you a application while I am in there." LOL
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moochelle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 AM

LauraG has posted more than 5 good deals
All I can say is "Wow".
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I guess I can sympathize with both sides. I do think smokers are wasting money, but I feel sorry for people losing their jobs and their homes.

We don't really know about other people's real lives and finances. Like PP said, they are maybe just worried and blowing off some steam.

My family is not broke but we worry about money a lot. I'm not sure how much I verbalize it. We are average people, an accountant and a teacher, with average incomes.

Someone might look in our garage and say 'Look they have a Lexus and a BMW - how can they worry about money and yet drive these expensive vehicles?" What they might not know is... both vehicles are 10 years old. We got both vehicles USED and paid for both in full before we ever had kids. (I hope the cars hold up because there's no way we could swing a car payment right now - Daycare costs are killing us!) Our cars have paid off in reliability and good mileage vs some cheaper Suburbans, pickup trucks, and other vehicles.

Situations can change. People could have a high-paying job and buy their car and home on the expectation they will continue working. Then comes an illness, a job-loss, twins, etc. Some act quickly, get lucky, ... some don't. In this economy it's not so simple as selling the larger house or the more expensive car. Many are 'upside-down' in loans, and not too many people are buying.

We are lucky enough to be employed now, but if one of us lost our job, our life savings would quickly disappear and we would be in the same boat as many out there complaining.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 AM

nickle and diming my way to being debt free

My Mood/Status:
jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I hear ya...but sometimes I do feel like I have no money and want to cry and whine a little..
but here I sit with NO cable tv, dial up internet (which is a NEED because it saves me tons of $...thanks to you all ), we NEVER eat out unless it's a treat from someone else but maybe once a year at most, I have seen like..less than 5 movies in a theatre in my life!, I haven't bought clothes for myself in YEARS unless you count the $3 bag sale at our local Thrift Shop (I buy clearance clothes and good yard sale clothes for my kids so they do look nice for cheap) , I cut their hair (badly sometimes..) and I haven't been to a beauty shop/salon...hmm...since I was in high school! (yikes), my car is old and the paint is peeling (badly)...my dh smokes but 3 years ago changed to rolling his own every morning before work for under $10 a month, we cancelled our trash service and recycle, burn and use a friends, the list goes on and on....

BUT
I love my home, my kids and my dh....I get to stay home and raise my children (a luxury some cannot do when they want to) I eat enough (too much at times) and I have a HUGE stockpile and it's always growing...

I do want to complain sometimes especially when like you all said you see people taking vacations or driving in nice cars, eating out, etc....so I may pity party a little but I always pull myself up and dust myself off and look at my kids and know that I am making their world better by being frugal

So cheers to all you hardworking, money saving AFCer's thanks for that little pick-me-up every time I log on!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jeanettebr For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
sspunk has posted more than 300 great deals!sspunk has posted more than 300 great deals!sspunk has posted more than 300 great deals!sspunk has posted more than 300 great deals!
I wish I could remember how much Ice Cream I scooped, or Gasoline I pumped, or shelves I stocked, or Burgers I cooked ...... AND was glad that I had the job. Not very many jobs are below your dignity if it means feeding your kids. I know, I've been there.

steve
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sspunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 PM

ready set...ready to coupon

My Mood/Status:
Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Jess has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with sspunk 100%. I have always believed if you are down you need pick yourself up and move on-esp if you have kids!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM

in Oklahoma!!!! :)

My Mood/Status:
blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!blessedgirl has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
This is a confession never personally make. I do not want it to come true.
The Following User Says Thank You to blessedgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 04:25 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!superk has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have found there are different levels of not having money. The attorney I work for claims he lives check to check. He doesn't...honestly. He makes well over $150,000 a year. His kids go to private school, his wife stays home, he has a million dollar home, they both have brand new cars every three years that are expensive and on top of it all go on vacation at least every three months whether a quick trip to wisconsin dells or a 10 day mediterrainian cruise. He feels he should have more in his 401, which he should, so he thinks he has no money.

my dh and I started out with absolutely nothing and have worked our way up a bit. We were both kicked out of at a young age (16, 17) we had an appt and worked full time while we were trying to finish high school. We lived off credit cards and then spent years trying to pay those off. I don't want to say we don't have any money as I have a small, very small amount in a savings account, but we are smart with our money and that I believe is the key.

Kim
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to superk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I went over to my sitter's house early this week and unfortunately had to tell her we are placing both our boys in a local preschool full-time. We feel that it will help both boys academically and socially, though it was so nice having them close to me while they were small.

I will miss going to visit them on my lunch hour (I'll come here to AFC instead) but it is best for them, and will save us money because we'll get 5 days for the same price as 4 and we'll be able to take a tax deduction at the end of the year.

Of course our sitter complained that she depends on that money (she has a full-time job at WalMart as well) ... yet her DH smokes 2.5 packs a day, bought a brand-new car last year at sticker price, she gets acrylic nails at a salon every 2 weeks, and they have a professional service mowing their lawn.

It is very hard not to say,
"Why don't your two boys (ages 21 and 20 and neither works or goes to school right now) or your husband mow the lawn for awhile?"
"Why didn't you use any of the coupons I gave you for stop-smoking aids?"
"Painting your own nails is free!" (basically - you'd need polish which you can get B1G1 at CVS)
"Why didn't you want to trade coupons all those times I offered?" (I know this answer - you did not want to spend $1.50 for the Sunday paper because you 'can't afford it'.)

Don't judge others, I'm telling myself...
Don't judge others...
Don't judge others...
Don't judge others...
Don't judge others...
I think I am going to have to tell myself this a lot over the next few days!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 AM

My Mood/Status:
Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jewelfaerie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've tried to maintain perspective, although sometimes I do feel broke. Earlier this week I had $1 in my checking acct (til Friday!) BUT I had a Wags GC with $20 to get me through LOL.

I'm anal about my budget and see that the future is brighter, but that's also assuming that I still have a job. I just found out today that my boss is 6 months behind on the rent (to the tune of about ten grand) and behind on his IRS payments. I wonder if the doors will be open much longer...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jewelfaerie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
Please do not get me wrong! I was not talking about people that really are struggling and doing their best. I am talking about the people with the garden service, the bottled water delivery, and two new cars who say things like "looks like the kids are not getting alot this birthday or Christmas"! Yikes it drives me crazy when people have no priorities. I have made alot of money and had the high bills to go along with it and then lost alot of money all at once. But I never jipped our kids before I jipped myself. I think the beer, cigs, and dining out, are perfect examples as is the internet for people not using it to save money. I have a "friend" who is always complaining broke and does not make a heck of alot of money but her hubby always drives a $40,000 truck...go figure...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KPEM For This Useful Post: