Giant Eagle -- Too Expensive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Lil Leprechaun has posted more than 75 good deals!
Giant Eagle -- Too Expensive?

Why do YOU shop at Giant Eagle?
Everyone I talk to seems to say, "Giant Eagle is the most expensive store..." I used to think that years ago, but I think they have really come down in price on a lot of things and are comparable to most stores, especially if you are doubling coupons. So, thought I'd ask some fellow AFC'ers to see why you shop there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Leprechaun For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM

RE: Giant Eagle -- Too Expensive?

2014 YTD Savings: $572.09
bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
before I started couponing I wouldn't have dared shop at giant eagle. I don't think it's so much that their prices have come down but the prices everywhere else have gone up. We have a discount store here called Marc's. They used to be, without a doubt, the cheapest place to shop. But now their prices are the same as Giant Eagle sale prices and with double coupons it makes Giant Eagle cheaper for sure. But our Marc's does not sell meat.
Produce at Giant Eagle is always expensive though. So if you don't have time to get your produce at another store then the extra money you spend on produce might just eat up all the savings you would have anyway.
If you don't have multiple coupons then yes Giant Eagles prices are ridiculous. I see families like mine there all the time spending 200-300 for a weeks worth of groceries. Spending that much would just kill our budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mom to Billy 10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lilly 7
and benjamin 4 year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bidahune For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I shop GE only for sale items.
The Following User Says Thank You to cathyw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 AM

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyw View Post
me too

I go through the ad each week and only buy the products that I can get for super cheap or free (this week is salad dressing and butter) ~ otherwise I don't shop GE ~ we eat alot of organic and/or produce ~ Giant Eagle's organic prices are too high and the stores around my area have horrible produce. I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. I fill in with freebies from Target & Giant Eagle ~ and I buy my meat at the local mom and pop farmer's market.

~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngieP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM

beemerphile1 has posted more than 200 great deals!beemerphile1 has posted more than 200 great deals!beemerphile1 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I don't consider them expensive.

I shop there for convenience, double Qs, quality, cleanliness, and selection. I also shop a couple other stores on occasion but GE was our primary choice even before couponing.

GE is only about one and a half miles from my house and I feel they are superior to all the others within say five miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to beemerphile1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Sandy M has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have shopped at GE forever. Most of what I buy is the sale items with double coupons but if there is something that I need which doesn't have a coupon or doesn't usually go on sale, I get that type of thing with my 20% off trip.
Their produce might be more expensive but at the store I go to, it is beautiful. I have tried going to other stores but their produce usually looks like it is ready for the compost bin.
Their meat is more expensive, but once again it is nicer than the other stores in our area and I buy it on sale or with food perks and freeze it.
I am so familiar with the lay out of the store that my grocery list is written accordingly and very seldom do I need to search for an item. That certainly speeds up the shopping trip.
I can't imagine shopping at a store other than GE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy M For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM

KPSimon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!KPSimon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!KPSimon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!KPSimon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!KPSimon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!KPSimon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I don't consider them expensive at all...although I prefer other stores. I often find the produce and meat less desireable at Giant Eagle than at other stores. That's just me though!
The Following User Says Thank You to KPSimon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM

2014 YTD Savings: $572.09
bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!bidahune has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Maybe I'm just getting old but I'm shocked that anyone would not consider giant eagle expensive. I remember when mac & cheese was .50 a box now it's more than $1 regular price. And cereal wow cereal is soooo expensive for the shelf price now. Even when it's on sale I can barely stand to buy it. I mean it can't cost that much to make the stuff. must just be advertising we pay for. Produce prices are awful. Baby carrots for example are 1.50 other places here they are .99 Same with apples etc.

If I had to pay shelf price for Giant Eagle products I would never dream of going there.

Mom to Billy 10

Lilly 7
and benjamin 4 year
The Following User Says Thank You to bidahune For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
angjimtac has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angjimtac has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angjimtac has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angjimtac has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angjimtac has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angjimtac has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I think GE's prices are ridiculous on certain items but "OK" on others. Their produce is insane, I can go to Rulli Bros (just down the street from GE) and literally pay half or less for the same items. I have lots of grocery stores nearby but GE is the only one that has organics & more specialty type items so I tend to do a lot of my shopping there. Trader Joes is awesome but over an hour drive. There are a few Sparkle markets & IGA stores in the area and their prices are horrible. I will buy a few things at Aldi or at the "discount stores" but do a lot of my shopping at GE b/c I can get better quality and just about everything I need in one place.
The Following User Says Thank You to angjimtac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
slcjward has posted more than 200 great deals!slcjward has posted more than 200 great deals!slcjward has posted more than 200 great deals!
I would never have shopped at GE except that used to work for W-mart and did my shopping there. But, since quitting my job and going back to school GE is closer and if I watch for the sales and only buy what I need and use q's then I can do ok there. Last month I did all my shopping at GE and I spent less than 380 I think for a family of 5. But, like this week since there really isn't much that I want or need I can just use what I have bought from the previous month. I actually spent more money shopping at W-mart than I do GE. Plus I get fuel perks and that helps when my hubby has a 75 Chevy Blazer that I nicknamed "Guzzler" since it gets poor gas mileage but it can go anywhere in the snow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slcjward For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Proud Member of the Stockpile Mafia

My Mood/Status:
sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!sleepyshopper has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
1 reason I shop GE is because they are (atleast mine) the most coupon friendliest grocery store I have ever shopped at (accpets as many q's as I have, no limits, accpets IP's, Accepts, Frees, accepts high $ q's, etc..., etc..).....Also they ALWAYS have what I am looking for instock, the store is always CLEAN, everyone is friendly/helpful. I am a very happy GE shopper.
and Daughters
And owner of the most Beautifulest

and
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepyshopper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 03:19 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!javaaddict has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyw View Post
Me too! I use it to supplement my other shopping.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM

My Mood/Status:
kywymy has posted more than 400 great deals!kywymy has posted more than 400 great deals!kywymy has posted more than 400 great deals!kywymy has posted more than 400 great deals!kywymy has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaaddict View Post
Me too! I use it to supplement my other shopping.
Me three. I have about as much store loyalty as I have brand loyalty. None.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kywymy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
ajmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ajmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ajmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ajmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ajmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ajmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ajmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Use it for sale items, double coupons, and their meat is better than walmart
Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!originalsixx has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've shopped GE for years, mostly because it is the closest grocery store to my house. Since I have starting couponing, I still shop there for coupon deals/sales, and I buy my weekly grocery essentials there - meat, produce, dairy and bread. I do think they are higher priced than some other stores but hate WM and other than the essential stuff previously mentioned, I really don't buy much else..
The Following User Says Thank You to originalsixx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Frugally Minded

ayenbe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ayenbe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ayenbe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ayenbe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ayenbe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ayenbe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I listen to my coupons and ads... I buy what they want me to buy, when they want me to buy it, and where they want me to buy it. I have a Giant Eagle, Kroger, Meijer, Walmart and Target all within 3 miles of home (and all nearly on top of each other). I cherry pick the deals and make the most out of our hard earned dollars. I buy essentials (milk, meat, fresh fruit and veg) wherever they are most economical.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 PM

: )

My Mood/Status:
blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!

couldn't have said it better, ayenbe
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM

AnnaInOhio has posted more than 10 good deals
I think their prices are way too expensive as well and only shop there for sale items that match with coupons... I do have to say they are very very good about letting you use as many coupons as you want and I like the fuel perks plan though since I don't shop there regularly I don't get as many as I could. Funny.. they sent me a survey to complete the other day, haven't had time to look it over yet but apparently they are watching and trying to improve.

Anna
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnaInOhio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM

Lil Leprechaun has posted more than 75 good deals!
Thanks for all of your replies! I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area and GE is right up the street from my house. Other stores are a couple of miles. I have been shopping at GE my whole life and I'm always checking out prices of things at other stores, but I don't find the other stores to be that much cheaper. However, I do know there are a few other stores I can check out and maye try to do a weekly shopping trip there to save additional money. I'm really trying to save my family money this year on food and every day products so that we can pay down some debt, so I'm always up for suggestions!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 AM

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but in our area this week Giant Eagle has Land O Lakes tubs of butter, the kind with olive oil 7 oz. size 4/$5 equals out to $1.25 each and there were coupons in last Sundays paper for 40 cents off doubled makes it 45 cents each, I'm on my way to stock up here in a few minutes. I also have a cpl. cpns. from a cpl. weeks back for 50 cents off, dbl. makes those 25 cents each, darn wish I'd saved more of those instead of giving them away.

Anna
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Don't hate what you can't imitate.
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've found some good deals @ GE. I would not dare buy anything regular price there without a coupon, though! The ones around here have huge issues with keeping stock. I am not sure if they just get hit with shelf clearers or if there are just a lot of Q shoppers that like GE but it's very difficult for me to find the deals anymore. And since I don't see their ad scans way in advance like I can with the other stores I shop at, it's hard to order Q's and get them in time to take advantage of the sales before everyone else wipes them out. (My GE won't write RC's for OYNO deals either. ) My GE shopping has greatly decreased because of all this.

It was kind of funny I was looking over my receipt the other night and on the bottom where it gives your 12 month savings, mine looked like this:

fuelperks savings....$30.xx
weekly savings.....$600.xx
coupon savings....$1,200.xx

Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM

Dance

O.k. I tried looking on the cheat sheet for abbreviations.. but I can't find RC's, what's a RC?

I don't know if we're on the same wavelength but have you asked them for and now my mind has went blank, the little pieces of paper they write out for you to bring back in when the item is available. Too much shopping today, sorry. And I hear you on the being stocked, today was the first day of the new sale and they only had about 30 Land O Lakes butter tubs (again the ones with canola or olive oil). And yes, I did leave some for the next person. They also have the Mentos Gum in the rolls for 89 cents not a sale price item, with the coupons from Sundays paper they were FREE!! Doing the Happy Dance here
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

My Mood/Status:
GaryInOhio has posted more than 200 great deals!GaryInOhio has posted more than 200 great deals!GaryInOhio has posted more than 200 great deals!
Raincheck

Thanks for the headsup on the Mentos - - I'll grab a couple when I'm there tonight!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Don't hate what you can't imitate.
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missteena has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaInOhio View Post
O.k. I tried looking on the cheat sheet for abbreviations.. but I can't find RC's, what's a RC?

I don't know if we're on the same wavelength but have you asked them for and now my mind has went blank, the little pieces of paper they write out for you to bring back in when the item is available. Too much shopping today, sorry. And I hear you on the being stocked, today was the first day of the new sale and they only had about 30 Land O Lakes butter tubs (again the ones with canola or olive oil). And yes, I did leave some for the next person. They also have the Mentos Gum in the rolls for 89 cents not a sale price item, with the coupons from Sundays paper they were FREE!! Doing the Happy Dance here
LOL. We're talking about the same thing. RC = raincheck.

And the problem is, most of the deals I am after involved OYNO and they will not write a raincheck to reflect the OYNO deal so basically they will only write it for sale price, which in turn, blows the whole deal.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM

beemerphile1 has posted more than 200 great deals!beemerphile1 has posted more than 200 great deals!beemerphile1 has posted more than 200 great deals!
For those that have stated that GE is too expensive, where do you shop that is less expensive in your opinion?