Gift Card Promo, Possible Deal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:40 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Gift Card promo, possible deal

As I walked into my local Safeway a few days ago I noticed a sign that said Buy any giftcard $50 or more and a bouquet of flowers and get $10 ONYSO (gussing it's a catalina). So here's my idea - buy the cheapest boquet of flowers, use the $3 coupon from the Football coupon book, and get the GC's.

I have to buy a new washer at Home Depot, so I am going to be spending the $$ anyway. I am going to see how much the cheapest bouquet is. If it's only $5 or so, that would be $2 OOP for the flowers after using the $3coupon, then a $10 cat for every $50 Home Depot GC I buy. I am thinking of doing 10 separate transaction at a number of stores. In the end I'd have spent $20 or so on flowers, have $500 worth of giftcards and $100 worth of cats.

Will this work, or am I nuts ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JWULF For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM

RE: Gift Card promo, possible deal

JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!JWULF has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
.....oh, and our paper had a $10/$50 coupon too, so when I go to spend the $10 cats on food etc. I can use that too I think this deal might be really cool...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JWULF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM

is thankful for AFC

My Mood/Status:
Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!
I don't think you're nuts. It sounds like it should work. However, what if they set a limit and it's tracked on your club card? Then it would only work a few times.
And may I ask, where is the sign? Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM

I didn't notice a limit on the sign. It was right inside the double doors on a huge sign. I'm going tomorrow am, so I'll report back with more info, and a pic if possible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JWULF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Alyse.baker has posted more than 1 good deal
Watch out because each gift card has a $4-$5 activation fee, so it might not be worth it
The Following User Says Thank You to Alyse.baker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM

is thankful for AFC

My Mood/Status:
Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!
The Visa, Mastercard and AMEX ones have fees, but do the others, like Home Depot and restaurant ones? I bought a Disneyland gift card around Xmas and I don't think there were any fees involved. I'll have to check next time I go to the store, because this could be a good deal.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM

roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!roxygirlie1021 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I think it would work just fine. I did a similar deal a few years ago when BI-LO was giving out cats for buying gift cards - I think I did $200 in gas cards and ended up with $40 in cats. Worked just fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Friends don't let friends pay retail
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm a member of @CoffeemateUSA Brew Crew
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM

cupcakers has posted more than 50 good deals
Good luck! I bought flowers the other day and the cheapest mixed flower bouquet was $8.99. I could be mistaken but I think the $3 coupon is for mixed flowers only. Tulips are on sale for around $5 but I don't think they count.

I am going to look and see if our Safeway is doing a similar promo. I would happily buy Disney gift cards if they are available. I had planned on doing so before our vacation this summer.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:35 PM

is thankful for AFC

My Mood/Status:
I just checked, it is for mixed flowers only. It also says min. $10 purchase. Hope you can work it somehow!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 PM

AFC Star Member

Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Stingy Diva has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Hmmm. I tired with daffodils, it didn't work. Tried with roses, and one card didn't activate. They punched in a catalina code though, and that took $10 off my order. The fine print on my sign said nothing about what types of flowers did or didn't qualify, just that it had to be a boquet. My mom was thrilled when my son walked into her classroom today with the roses!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 PM

Living, loving, laughing...

My Mood/Status:
stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
So, I got a mixed bouquet for 5.99 after $3q and no cat printed. Customer service gave me a $10 gift card, but when I read the fine print in the ad, it reads to me like you must purchase an ITunes gc as part of the transaction. You could still do a $25 to wherever and $25 to iTunes, but it has to include iTunes. That's the way I read it at least- I may be wrong. It also states no Safeway cards or prepaid credit cards.
The Following User Says Thank You to stacyfout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 PM

cupcakers has posted more than 50 good deals
That is pretty interesting. That whole flower deal seemed pretty shady to me!
The Following User Says Thank You to cupcakers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM

I read the sign 3 times and didn't see a min. price on the flowers. The cashiers had no clue either. I'm stumped.
The Following User Says Thank You to JWULF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Feeding a family of 5+2 for under $50 a week

My Mood/Status:
mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mcgallicher has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I did this today and it worked like a charm! I bought a $5 bouquet of pink carnations and a $50 gift card for Home Depot. I used my $5 Catalina from the "Buy 3 Hallmark Cards and get a free Teddy Bear" deal to pay for the flowers. Total cost was $50.23 and got a $10 catalina!

I read the sign carefully before I picked out my gift card. It says that Safeway gc's, gc's for tickets, and prepaid Debit cards do not count for the offer. I had hoped to get a card for groceries, but I will use the Home Depot card with my $10/$50 Vocalpoint Lowe's coupon (which HD will accept).

The Following User Says Thank You to mcgallicher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Living, loving, laughing...

My Mood/Status:
stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!stacyfout has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Did this one again today!! $25 iTunes, $25 TRU plus mixed bouquet for $8.99. $3 off flowers from JOF book, $5 OYNO from hallmark- right at $51 OOP and got back $10 OYNO and $5 OYNO from the iTunes promo!! Woohoo!!
The Following User Says Thank You to stacyfout For This Useful Post: