Tightwad-Frugal Support & Low Spend-No Spend_March 2018

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Cashpile Tightwad-Frugal Support & Low Spend-No Spend_March 2018

I wasn't thinking about February being only a 28 day month, so I'm a little bit late getting our March thread posted.

Well, March is upon us and spring is just around the corner.

If you have travel plans or if the Easter Bunny is coming to your house, don't forget Easter is only a month away. Whatever your Easter travel or plans are, I hope you guys saved the money and won't be touching a credit card.

The ground hog was wrong this year, February was a very warm month here, with several record highs, and with lows highs higher than our normal highs. Hopefully, the high winter season heating bills are lower this month. If so, put the remainder of your heating/cooling budget aside for the summer cooling season.

For newbies and lurkers: We welcome newbies and would like to have you join us for March. There are no set rules, you make and follow your own financial rules as well as set your own personal goals. This is not a competition, so don't be over zealous and too aggressive, set personal goals and budgets that you can actually accomplish, but make sure you push forward by not being too lenient or easy on yourself. In other words, make it challenging for you. Each person's circumstances are different, some of us have big families and some of us may be single or empty nesters.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 06:02 AM

RE: Tightwad-Frugal Support & Low Spend-No Spend_March 2018

monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
A man in debt is a man in chains. ~James Lendall Basford (1845–1915), c.1882

He looks the whole world in the face for he owes not any man. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The man who never has money enough to pay his debts, has too much of something else. ~James Lendall Basford (1845–1915), Sparks from the Philosopher's Stone, 1882

Who goeth a borrowing,
Goeth a sorrowing.
~Thomas Tusser

Borrowing is the mother of trouble. ~Hebrew proverb

The greatest enemy of financial well-being is not poverty but debt. ~Kent Nerburn, "Money and Wealth," Letters to My Son: A Father's Wisdom on Manhood, Life, and Love, 1994–1999

The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor. ~Author Unknown
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 AM

Get On The Road To Debt Freedom

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 06:05 AM

Old 03-01-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfred View Post
Yeah, we have a few acres in our front yard.....though the house sits up on a hill and can be seen from the road.....but not seen inside (at night) unless one stops along the side of the road and stares...which would result in three dogs flying thru the pasture, hollering, . And no one can see us in the back....we own the ~20 acres back there, too. We have one neighbor we can see, in our front, right corner, and then the neighbor to our right can see to our barn area from his carport area.

I'd love a house that couldn't be seen from the road....just a driveway. I am always amazed at the amount of cars we have come up our driveway, though....from some guy trying to sell us meat from his truck (ew) to people wanting to pick our pecans to people thinking the cell tower in our neighbor's yard is a radio station....and that it is in our yard, to people just being nosy in general. Lol. Kids and I have hidden in a back room to avoid people before....I get tired of feeling like I have to talk to a complete stranger just because they drove up my driveway! I never asked them to! There are ones that sit in their cars and honk their horns! What?!?! Our dogs scare some people....and my one dog has refused to let some people out of their cars....which is fine by me.....if he is acting like that, I don't want said people to get out! He is very protective, and I trust his judgement of people. I went from living in a townhouse ith neighbors surrounding us, but where only the Jehovah Witnesses and a random tree cutting guy knocked on our door....so maybe 4 visits a yr between the two.....to weekly having someone randomly drive up our driveway. I should start coming onto the porch with a shotgun, !

Oh, and since we are on vacation....our donkey have been getting out of their pasture. Nearly every time we go away for longer than a weekend, we get a call from our neighbors to our far right....that our donkeys are in their yard. Lol. I swear!! The man is just over 80, and his wife said he is putting our donkeys back into our pasture every night! They used to have donkeys, too, so they know they can be naughty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiecoupon13 View Post
Jfred I'm glad your husband set boundaries and knows what your up for and not.
I am to not keen to random ppl coming up to my doors. I posted a no solicitation sign that says..I don't want your candy...magazines..cookies and or free estimates..if I don't know you don't bother me. Lol..........
I don't like people coming to my front door either. Most of the time I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. My backyard is large and very private, but my front yard is not large.

My place sits higher up than the people in front and behind me; but people could see in my front windows if I had them open.

Katie I totally agree, they can keep their school cookies, school fruit, magazines and free estimates. If I wanted an estimate, I would have called them.

Something that is really irritating me is, I'm getting a call from "Heather at Account Services. Nothing is wrong with my credit card, but they will reduce my credit card rate".

Seeing how I don't even own a credit card, I know nothing is wrong with my card, and proves they know nothing about my credit card. I thought about talking to Heather and telling her since I have no credit card, she would have to give me a negative interest rate in order to lower my credit card interest rate.

Last edited by monkeystyle; 03-01-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 AM

~Mothernature~ has posted more than 100 good deals!~Mothernature~ has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
Seeing how I don't even own a credit card, I know nothing is wrong with my card, and proves they know nothing about my credit card. I thought about talking to Heather and telling her since I have no credit card, she would have to give me a negative interest rate in order to lower my credit card interest rate.

I kept two credit cards for two reasons: Zipcar and rental references purposes.

This is the second night I have barely slept . I've been awake from pain all over my body. I need a break from walking to allow my body to rest.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~Mothernature~ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 08:40 AM

Making boxes :o) PM me your list
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nicE2save has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We don't open our door to strangers either, unless we are expecting someone.
In our area we have a lot of con artists that go door to door.
They offer "estimates" of some sort, want to wash your car for you, sell something, need "a can of tuna" to find their lost cat etc.
Our local news and local papers have stories every day about people being victimized in their home by a "stranger" after answering the door for someone they did not know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
We will always
our little
buddy Louis Le Grand (11-28-01 - 07-27-09)

New to
? Get $10 bonus
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nicE2save For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM

Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Monkey thanks for linking March over in Feb I would been lost again.

Finances
Mortgage Paid plus extra whole paymentioned on principal and extra monthly portion on principal
Gas paid
Dh car payment plus addtionAL 5000k down
Paid
Still left
My cell
His cell
Internet
Med bill
Savings for March $50
Electric
Water
Quarterly life in for me and dh

I pUT almost 2000k into savings

Grocery and hh shopping
I'm going to attempt to do envy system again with cash only..
I picked up 2 whole chickens, chicken breast, Turkey roll, Turkey breast, canned fruit dried raisens and 2 loaves bread from my gf yesterday I gave her hbc and laundry soap.
Homeschooling and family stuff
I have been reading to kids several chapters out of my america laura inglases wilder book..we refreshed you tube and Google a few times to explain scarlet fever and a song pa playes on his folder and Nasty nellies behavior..
I just put a whole chicken in crockpot with carrots onion celery salt pepper Parsley potatoes and water.
We have rainy cold weather here and swim tonight.

3/1
No spend 1/10
No drive 0/10
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katiecoupon13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 12:18 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Laurabeadle has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurabeadle has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurabeadle has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurabeadle has posted more than 300 great deals!
Cold and rainy here. I'm going to take a nap and then ill attack the mess I'm my bedroom. I've got until Monday to make room for my new bed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laurabeadle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Katie, I know you want the kiddos to know how to swim....but if it were me....that is such a hard time of day for something like that. And oh, indoor swimming pools are so overwhelmingly loud!! Ugh! Maybe there will be outdoor lessons come summer?

Lol, Monkey, if that is your license plate....I'm gonna honk and wave like crazy if I see you when we drive home! Bwahahahaa! And if it's not you....pray for the person I might be waving at! Bwahahaha! Thanks for starting the new thread....and esp for telling us....cause otherwise Laura would be laughing at me!!

We have a trip the end of march already planned....and the small house we rented was paid for back in sept or oct. We're sharing the place with my inlaws, niece, and nephew. We'll prolly bring most of the food qnd cook there.....though I am planning to drive to Helen GA and getting some german food for at least one meal!!

We have one cc we use....we order alot of our monthly needs online....food, coffee, batteries for the dogs' bark collars, vitamins, etc....and we pay it off every month. We do get cash back on it....not a ton, but it's nice.

We drove thru the mtns of VA today....swoon....I know that I LOVE Virginia....but I always forget just HOW MUCH! DH said to me that driving in the mtns makes him want to try for the VA job, and not the NC one. Lol! I told him I felt the same way! Nc makes sense for us....but our hearts love VA!!!

I had a wee nap. Dd was supposed to sleep but she had a huuuge dr pepper with lunch (thanks, grandparents!), and was wide awake. I had a yummy starbucks mocha before I laid down, but slept anyways, ! Later on we'll head to bil's house for dinner.....his gf is a foodie and cooks to relax, , so tonight should be yummy! Can't wait!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jfred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 03:17 PM

~Mothernature~ has posted more than 100 good deals!~Mothernature~ has posted more than 100 good deals!
Could someone help me please? I thought I figured out how to stop emails when this thread updates. I continue to receive them. How do I stop this?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~Mothernature~ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jfred has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I think you have to unsubscribe to the thread, mothernature?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jfred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 PM

Today was a no spend day.
Today was a no drive day.

For March I have:
1/12 No spend days.
1/00 No drive days.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 04:28 AM

Oh heavens, I'm up early! 6am. Lol. My son bebopped to my bed from his and gave me a chipper good morning and some sugar. We're in a hotel....a CLEAN one, . It's one the company my mil works for owns....she won't stay in a dirty hotel! And heaven help them if her room is gross, !

Last night was prolly my fave night of this whole trip, besides our first night. We all went to bil's and had a good time. Everyone was happy....and giggly....fun family stories were being told. I've been part of the fam for nearly 24 yrs, so I know most of the stories. Shoot, bil was only 4 when I started hanging out with his big brother.....so we pretty much know all the same stories, . It was a good night, and I'm glad we had so much fun. I'm glad mil had 3/4 of her kids, and that she was giggling so much....she needs time to sit and be....and not always do....and time to relax and enjoy! Bil's gf took care of everything, so mom didn't have to. Bless her for that!!

Idk what all we're doing today. It'll prolly be a busy day. We go back to mil's later tonight....then leave first thing tomorrow am. Eek. It's been such a busy vacation....we all need a vacation at home to rest from this one!! We were gonna go hoklme on sun, but dh wants a full day at home before going back to work!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jfred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Katiecoupon13 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Jfred sounds like a wonderful nite. You all needed that.
Well I ended up spending yesterday nite so
3/1
Spend and drive
We got out of swim and it was slushy and last nite snow.so it's soppy slushy messy out some ppl have no power and no school.

We're laying low around here today and tgif.

That's about it I'm tired. Lol
Old 03-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Since I see a few WUCcies here, I am going to ask here...Can someone PM me Didie's (from CVS WUC forum) email addy? We used to coordinate ads and I am curious if she is interested in migrating over to here. I used to have her email address but I think Ive either deleted it or it was on our old Time Warner account which we lost access to when we moved. Please ask her if it's OK/ PM me for my email addy to give to her if you are uncomfortable giving her info out.

Quote:
I don't like people coming to my front door either. Most of the time I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. My backyard is large and very private, but my front yard is not large.
Thank you for starting this thread. There is also an ongoing FRUGAL thread HERE if anyone wants to join in.

If I ever have a home built, I would like to not have a front door...if that is possible. LOL

When we host parties in our backyard, I often leave the door unlocked with a sign to "come on in". Well, I used to anyway. Once I found a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses in the house and then I stopped leaving the sign up.

This year to keep the Girl Scout Cookie interruptions to a minimum I put up a sign letting them know I had all the cookies I needed. It worked really well.

I guess I really like signs.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Hi friends
Relaxing day here we had bad storms from slush and high winds last nite.
The wind actually pulled knocked our flag pole out of post.
Power went out around us but not us thankfully.
Afternoon I went to thrift store I got a few misc toys for kids and books and rubber rain boots for mama half off.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:41 AM

Friday was a spend day.
Friday was a drive day.

$45 at supermarket.

For March I have:
1/12 No spend days.
1/00 No drive days.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mothernature~ View Post

I kept two credit cards for two reasons: Zipcar and rental references purposes.

This is the second night I have barely slept . I've been awake from pain all over my body. I need a break from walking to allow my body to rest.
Not my place to tell you what to do, but you can rent cars, motel rooms, etc. with a debit card.

I have a checking account with a debit card that I keep a limited amount of funds in, and that account has no over draft protection. I use that card for online purchases and my normal day to day shopping.

It will take time for you to build back up your strength. The key will be to push yourself, but not over do it.

Hope you were able to sleep last night.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 10:54 AM

Hi friends happy Saturday

Today was a drive an spend. $77 at aldis. I got diapers and groceries mostly produce and pantry items. Snack type stuff as well.

Ds is asleep for nap...DH phone has not stopped ringing for work..and girls and I are baking brownies .
I feel sleepy but idk if I can nap today.

The slushy frozen stuff is melting sorta..which only means more water around..blah.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Katiecoupon13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Lol, we've had non-stop drive days....tomorrow....tomorrow we hope and pray to have a no drive day! Please!!

We got to inlaws late last night and slept in and took things slowly this am. Everyone is plum wore out! Kids napped a bit before lunch, and I napped a little bit ago. Dh can't nap, he's driving!

We went from the very faintest signs of forsythia bushes starting to bloom in va, to pear trees blooming to cherry trees blooming to the smallest of leaves starting to peek out from branches....and thus far we're only in sc (almost ga, though). We'll spend the next few weeks in a green haze of pollen! Thankfully it shouldn't get to 80* again this next week!! Temps are cooler, yeehaw!!

Ya'll enjoy your weekend!

Mothernature, April is getting here closer and closer! Hope you will get to leave soon!!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jfred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
A man in debt is a man in chains. ~James Lendall Basford (1845–1915), c.1882 He looks the whole world in the face for he owes not any man. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The man who never has money enough to pay his debts, has too much of something else. ~James Lendall Basford (1845–1915), Sparks from the Philosopher's Stone, 1882
Who goeth a borrowing, Goeth a sorrowing.~Thomas Tusser
Borrowing is the mother of trouble. ~Hebrew proverb
The greatest enemy of financial well-being is not poverty but debt. ~Kent Nerburn, "Money and Wealth," Letters to My Son: A Father's Wisdom on Manhood, Life, and Love, 1994–1999
The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor. ~Author Unknown
Thanks monkeystyle!
Enjoy these quotes & the work you do overseeing this thread, embracing the old & new posters, & members who treat each other with respect
Every thread here at AFC that has had that, has lasted a long time.
This one will.

A quote I like that reminds me of you....that you could have written:
"Never let something important become urgent".
Eliyahu Goldratt
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 07:46 PM

Jfred hope you all get rest and can stay warm were back down to freezing yucky stuff
Doesn't help mood that's for sure
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katiecoupon13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 08:58 PM

I've picked up another three pairs of pants shipped for free.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Mothernature~ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:59 PM

Saturday was a no spend day.
Saturday was a no drive day.

For March I have:
2/12 No spend days.
2/00 No drive days.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post: