How To Be More Frugal When Buying Meat

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Super mom of 5

My Mood/Status:
mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommamerri has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Caution how to be more frugal when buying meat

I am looking for more tips on how to be more frugal when buying meat. Other than the obvious like: buying it on sale or when its marked down. I just learned that you can buy top round or bottom round and have the butcher send it through the tenderizer to make cube steaks. I am wondering what other cuts if meat is it possible to buy and have it turned into something else, rather than paying for it already done and spending more money.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Amedeus (3)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Jasiah

Central Area Kroger shopper
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommamerri For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM

RE: how to be more frugal when buying meat

MichiganMama9607 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MichiganMama9607 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MichiganMama9607 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MichiganMama9607 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MichiganMama9607 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MichiganMama9607 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I always buy beef roasts when they are bogo and cut them into cubes myself for beef stew meat.stew meat is expensive if you buy it already cut into cubes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MichiganMama9607 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thank you, this is helpful. I am a vegetarian, and my husband has been fine with that for years. But now my kids are getting older and like meat once in a while i need to cook more of it. I can hardly look at it to shop for it. I have started to make beef stew and pot roast in the last year for the first time, and the family inhales it. Any tips are welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to SJRoth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 02:29 PM

It's the stuff that dreams are made of....

My Mood/Status:
noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I buy any kind of beef when it's on sale and use it in the crockpot. The crockpot works wonders on almost any meat!

In the past I've been able to buy in bulk (for my store that was 40+ lbs) and get a discount. Ask your store(s) next time you are there and see what they might offer.

Along the lines of bulk...we have a Costco membership that is used for very selective food items. There is a Costco business center on the other side of town that stocks different items geared toward restaurants and such. One of the things we buy there is gyro meat. It is good quality and about $3/lb. this is a nice treat and much cheaper than going out for gyros.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRoth
Thank you, this is helpful. I am a vegetarian, and my husband has been fine with that for years. But now my kids are getting older and like meat once in a while i need to cook more of it. I can hardly look at it to shop for it. I have started to make beef stew and pot roast in the last year for the first time, and the family inhales it. Any tips are welcome.
I am not a vegetarian and hate shopping for meat...the meat dept. turns my stomach. Once it's home I have no problem looking at it or handling it. I have to do all my meat shopping in bulk to cut down on the # of times I have to go in that section.
Hormel always has good qs and is usually on sale at my store so I stock up on preseasoned shoulder (done this way especially for the crockpot) and pork loins that can be cooked whole or sliced into chops.
For beef, I buy the cheapest steak per lb. Cook and slice on a diagonal to add to salads, wraps, sandwiches, etc... As long as it's seasoned and cooked well my family doesn't care what "type" of steak it is. Going for steak and cheese? Buy deli roast beef instead... Much cheaper and cooks up in minutes.
Keep an eye out for buy this get $xx of meat deals... You can score marked down meats nearly free with these.
Look for "family packs" that contain several cuts of meat... Stop & shop does these usually with a roast and either stew meat or steaks. They are cheaper than purchasing them individually and you can separate them at home.
I have also found that S&S Italian sausage links don't sell very well so you can always score those cheap. Don't be deterred by the "spicy" or the funky flavored blends... They really skimp on the flavorings. Cut them open and roll into balls to toss in a fry pan and you have meatballs in under 5 mins.
If I find a good deal on ground beef/turkey I buy as much as I can. I brown some to freeze so it cuts down on cook time later. I also make up salisbury steaks and meatloaves, mass bake and freeze for future meals. Spending a chunk when it's $1.99 prevents you from ever having to pay $3.99 (not even sure how anyone thinks thus price is a deal)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snowhite For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM

husband out of work 11 months...freaking out!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
price out whatever is on sale at your local stores so you know that whole chicken is lowest price at X, burger at X, roasts, etc..whatever your family eats...that said..be mindful of the healthy cuts..does me no good to buy something that is half fat but cheap if we want to eat meat protein and lean...fat is just calories..so my burger is diet lean/4% fat lauras when I can find it, pork tenderloins, occasional steaks, chicken breasts when they are on sale, whole chickens...fish...tilapia, salmon fillets, shrimp...I go for whatever is leanest, wild caught,etc..and then eat a serving size..meaning 3-4 oz for an adult, children less..we don't eat entire plates of steak for instance..we might have a nice salmon fillet with veggies and brown rice...or something like hawaiian haystacks (a chicken gravy over rice with a ton of toppings)..so yes, we are eating meat but they aren't always the main focus. When I cook burger type things (ie, tacos, spaghetti, chili) I will add part reconstituted textured vegetable protein or cooked lentils to extend the flavor and have similar texture...Over the course of a week we have one or two vegetarian dishes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmaspickle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 PM

My Mood/Status:
pjfrn has posted more than 200 great deals!pjfrn has posted more than 200 great deals!pjfrn has posted more than 200 great deals!
I make my own sausage. I buy pork butt on sale grind it up and add my own seasoning. A lot less fat when you make your own. At least you know what your getting by making your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjfrn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 AM

Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Snowhite has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmaspickle
price out whatever is on sale at your local stores so you know that whole chicken is lowest price at X, burger at X, roasts, etc..whatever your family eats...that said..be mindful of the healthy cuts..does me no good to buy something that is half fat but cheap if we want to eat meat protein and lean...fat is just calories..so my burger is diet lean/4% fat lauras when I can find it, pork tenderloins, occasional steaks, chicken breasts when they are on sale, whole chickens...fish...tilapia, salmon fillets, shrimp...I go for whatever is leanest, wild caught,etc..and then eat a serving size..meaning 3-4 oz for an adult, children less..we don't eat entire plates of steak for instance..we might have a nice salmon fillet with veggies and brown rice...or something like hawaiian haystacks (a chicken gravy over rice with a ton of toppings)..so yes, we are eating meat but they aren't always the main focus. When I cook burger type things (ie, tacos, spaghetti, chili) I will add part reconstituted textured vegetable protein or cooked lentils to extend the flavor and have similar texture...Over the course of a week we have one or two vegetarian dishes.
I have a problem doing smaller portions. Between Hubby and 2 teenagers, they always want more. I can cut it up and get away with smaller portions (hehe some visual trickery)... Like slicing a steak, adding boiled eggs and chick peas and using it as salad toppers.. But if I was to just give them the steak with the salad on the side they would complain. Love the tvp idea. Now that its warming up and I exhausted my chicken cutlets stock, I will be adding more fish. The fish market next door has fish caught daily and like to try them all. If you see a great price on a fish that you do not know how to prepare, ask the guy/gal behind the counter... They usually know quick and easy recipes... And also inquire when certain types will be cheapest. If they know you are looking for a bargain they can hold stuff aside for you. Smaller markets are more customer conscience than grocery chains. If your lucky enough to live near a port, watch to see a truck pulling one of the smaller fishing boats on trailers into your market... you know the cost of fish is going to drop that day. More stock means a drop to keep the freshness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snowhite For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
grayspinner has posted more than 75 good deals!
Things we do:

- my hubby hunts and that helps a LOT Wonderful free-range, grass fed, junk free meat in the freezer each year. He's also a chef and has fantastic butchering skills.

- use wine tag coupons for meat & buy small packages during coupon events and get the good stuff

- if you see a roast or other large hunk at a great price, you can have a butcher grind it for you (or grind it yourself - we have a kitchenmaid mixer & the meat grinder attachment).

- Make your own sausage - you don't need casing even, just grind some pork, flavor it & use it as pizza topping/meatballs/ground sausage in pasta dishes
The Following User Says Thank You to grayspinner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!xmaspickle has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
snowhite...I will mention my husband started as a meat and potatoes type of guy..but the reality that we don't NEED that much protein, an emphasis on meat isn't the healthiest of diet, plus all the info about too many hormones, ecoli, etc...we've worked our way around to a more balanced diet...my husband is 6'6'', daughter it 6', and sons 6'1 and 6' 3"...plus an assortment of boyscouts, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc..ranging from 18 to 26..they EAT! round out with lots of veggies, whole grains..quinoa pilafs with nuts, beans, brown rice, etc can fill them right up...my kids are all very active..two danced ballet for 12 years, they run competitively, bike, ski, scuba..you name it...they arent' feeling none too weakened by a 3 oz serving..
The Following User Says Thank You to xmaspickle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM

ISO LOTION ACTUALS TRADES
Piffin' Princess

My Mood/Status:
Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
In reality some of us DO need that much meat. I nearly died being a vegan. I HAVE TO HAVE more protein than your family eats in a week. Why? The allergist blames my corn allergies on GMO products. I can't even be in the same room with corn and wheat.

Back to the OT. There are often pork coupons floating around. Several of the past few weeks worth of inserts had q's for pork. Plus there was an IP this month too. I still have a few.

Latino/Asian markets sell vac packed meat at good prices. I get PRIME beef at the local Latino market that is out of this world. I spend $50 for something that would cost $200 if bought in pieces. I might have already posted in this thread some of these things but when I see people espousing more grains I like to point out some of us are obligatory carnivores.

Finally, I save money in other places. I bought a $65 prime rib this week. I got it for $30. I'd rather never wash my hair again than live like I am right now because 80% of my body is covered by a rash caused by wheat and corn. So I'd rather never spend another dime on shampoo, makeup and even clothes if I could live one more day without pain. So what I save elsewhere goes into my meat purchases. Sometimes, somethings are just worth it.

Oh I forgot my little commune got a free 12.19lb ham and a 7.19lb turkey breast from shoprite points. legally we could have done this four times as there are four households in our little group but we use two shoprite cards only. The total saved was about $40. Free meat just for shopping there. The ham served three all week and the first round of scraps I make this green bean and potato soupish thing and then the hock with scraps goes into a pot for pintos and ham. Then the bone gets baked again, splashed with vinegar and simmered into stock until the bones crumble. So that Ham that was FREE makes like 20 meals. The Turkey Breast will be eaten as a meal, then lettuce sammies (lettuce for bread) then turkey soup, then turkey stock. We opted for just the breast as we are all out of freezer space . I believe many stores were doing similar promotions this time of year. They also do it for tday and xmas and sometimes something free like ribs for BBQ season. So if you are kind loyal to a store you can get free meat.

Last edited by Darkfire; 03-27-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: forgot the free meat we just got doh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM

getting in my groove

My Mood/Status:
courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I'm doing some research on this topic and i found this. Some interesting tips.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/gro...ey_on_Meat.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to courtney3636 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM

getting in my groove

My Mood/Status:
courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!courtney3636 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I like the idea of stretching it too. Adding pinto beans to taco meat. I also add milk to eggs when I'm cooking for a larger crowd or I'm low on eggs and I have starving kids. Anyone else have ideas on stretching?
The Following User Says Thank You to courtney3636 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
stretching it??? don't have a chunk of meat on the side of veggies and potatoes as frequently...mix it up...sometimes we have a meat crazy over rice, potatoes, in a bun, in a soup, in a stew, in a casserole, etc... then say a 4 person serving can be stretched to 6...when I make meatloaf for example it will have extra veggies shredded and added (onions, peppers, carrots)..I only buy organic, extra lean like Laura's lean beef, only pork tenderloin or loing..the top quality lean stuff..not fat..tonight we had lovely salmon fillets (only wild and copper river if I can get it..I won't buy farm raised where the fish are forced to live in their own excrement (lived near too many fish hatcheries and farms)...my son laid the salmon on a rice pilaf..with steamed fresh snap peas...

we try to serve a vegetarian dish of some sort at least once a week (we have a veghead neighbor that stops by)..one of our favorites is a soy sizzler..basically a little meat looking patty made of soaked soybeans (I buy organic bean in 50lb bags from a local health food coop)..it only take 1/2 cup beans, with an egg, oats, veggies, spices and then fried up in olive oil..you can serve with tartar, ketchup, whatever your fav sauce is...
we do things like red beans and rice..has lots of peppers, veggies, okra, mixed beans, tomatoes and then any kind of sausage, chopped meats or seafood...we have a local store that occasionally has great prices on jumbo shrimp...I'll buy 20 lbs at a time and pack in smaller freezer bags..

if I'm low on eggs I'll make an overnight french toast where you mix more milk..like 4 cups milk (and I'll juice that up with whey protein, powdered milk, cream, whatever you have on hand) with 6 eggs..and spices (cinnamon,nutmeg, vanilla), sweetener..honey, maple syrup (the real stuff...we don't do the fake), sugar..and then let soak in a baking pan over night..then bake at 350 for half hour or so until all the way cooked...or make omelets with lots of parts...sometimes leftovers..and whatever is in the veggie drawer...
The Following User Says Thank You to xmaspickle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM

getting in my groove

My Mood/Status:
Overnight French toast sounds yummy!!!!

I also add shredded carrots to my hamburger meat when I make spaghetti. It adds bulk to it. Sometimes baby carrots won't get eaten and I originally did it so it wouldn't be wasted. I was surprised at how much more it made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to courtney3636 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Climb the stairs of life and never look back.....

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Try thinking of dinners using less meat and use eggs, beans, and smaller portions of meat. Scotch eggs, Swedish crepes, salmon cakes (made from the canned kind) salmon noodle casserole, Spanish rice & beans w/red sauce, chili, stir frys, breakfast for dinner w/ breakfast sausage, pancakes & eggs or poached eggs over toast. I love making pasta w/just sauce and love adding tons of black olives, peppers, roasted jar peppers, mushrooms & onions.
Pierogis! Salad with tuna or egg salad or grilled chicken, I make a lot of Mexican pizza use more beans and left over chili w/cheese and use canned chicken I find on sale w coupons and cat deals for quesadillas w salsa cheese and beans. Also, check your local butcher or grocery meat packages, they usually offer great deals and have 5 or 6 packages to choose from. Around here they start from $30 to $90, and will substitute one thing like kielbasa for hotdogs, or Hamburg for stew meat.

A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." Clive James
Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"

Last edited by marnimae; 03-27-2013 at 05:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to marnimae For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM

hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I buy pork roast instead of beef. When its cooked with potatoes and carrots it tastes the same and some times I can get it for $1.00 a pound. I started using tofu in Lazana (sp) and cut back to 1 lb of meat. The texture is like cottage cheese so its perfect. Ground chicken is cheaper then turkey sometimes with the same amount of fat. This year my BIL got us a deer. My sister hates venison so I traded her stockpile items for it. Find out when your stores marks down meat. Some have certain days of the week. We do beans and rice and potato soup for meatless meals. We do meatless meal one day a week. My kids love chicken legs and we love breast so I do the fresh take with those.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotrodswife For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM

hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I also add mushrooms to my meat if I get them marked down. They freeze well if they are sautéed first.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotrodswife For This Useful Post: