What Do You Now Make That You Used To Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM

RE: What do you now make that you used to buy?

night owl :)

My Mood/Status:
sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I was also planning to try some canning this fall once tomatoes hit rock bottom prices. I did plant 8 tomatoes in my garden but we had to abandon them since we discovered our new adopted cat was using the veggie garden as a litter box! We have plans to restore the soil come late fall though and keep her out next yr.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4 (NIV)
The Following User Says Thank You to sugarloaf10 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:43 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerblindluck View Post
I personally love reading through the dollarstretcher site. =)
Heck yeah, and the Tightwad Gazette! Lots of good tips.

As for the original post, I have a hard time making my own mixes but maybe I will slowly regain that need to mix my own dry goods. My first thought is where would I store all those jars?

But I would certainly love to learn how to make my own cleaning supplies. I have asthma and most of what's out there sends me straight to my inhaler because the chemicals are so strong.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
Alexther has posted more than 200 great deals!Alexther has posted more than 200 great deals!Alexther has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri4sl View Post
Hmmm. The one and only thing I've ever made myself was pasta sauce and it was awful ! I am also in awe of all of you that can make all of these amazing products! I'm envious
I tryed it too, pasta sauce and it came out terrible LOL
Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Grounded for Life

rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachellynn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerblindluck View Post
I believe they are on sale at Hyvee this week.
Also jars you use year after year. So an initial investment is all you take.
I find it cheaper to can many things than to buy them at the store. Especially if you grow your own ( which we do).

You can also find canning jars at thrift stores and yard sales, for a dime or a quarter.

The only ingredients you buy from the store are things like pectin, sugar and vinegar, all of which you can buy in bulk and isn't as costly as you would think.

And like other's have mentioned, it's about the QUALITY of the food, and the wholesome nature about it. No dyes, no GMO's, no HCFC, just good stuff.

Last edited by rachellynn; 06-20-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM

Supporting Member

jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I made homemade cereal this weekend! Bran flakes and homemade "Cracklin oat bran".

I'm trying to avoid non-organic/GMOs/refined sugar and have also read that the extrusion process used to make boxed cereal removes a lot of nutrients. Not sure how true that is as I only found mention of it on a few blogs but the other reasons are enough for me.