What Frugal Thing Did You Do Today?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 05:17 PM
is realizing how much work cuts into couponing...

NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!NCmom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
What frugal thing did you do today?

Would love to see what others do. I: (1) hung two loads of laundry out to dry, (2) didn't turn on the AC until inside the house was 83, (3) didn't drive to see fireworks even though we wanted to, (4) started painting a free to me dresser for DD with leftover paint from other projects, (5) made homemade cookies, (6) divided and repotted chives (7) transferred flowers that came up by chance from plants from a few years ago into my porch baskets rather than buying flowers, (8) watered flowers using the water in the drip bucket under the air conditioner. What did you do?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM

RE: What frugal thing did you do today?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I did simular things to you 1.) hung two loads of laundry out to dry, (2) didn't drive to see fireworks even though we wanted to, (3) watered flowers using the water from shower heating up. (4) picked strawberries from garden plus pulled weeds(not really frugal but garden is) (5)cooking dinner on barbque as not to heat up house including cooking corn in their husk so no need for foil, also used free marinade from Safeway when bought steaks there (6) played dice games with company instead of going to movie. (7)will watch movie checked out from library for free tonight,(8) clipped coupons
plus proably 50 other things hahahah

Would love to see what others do. I: (1) hung two loads of laundry out to dry, (2) didn't turn on the AC until inside the house was 83, (3) didn't drive to see fireworks even though we wanted to, (4) started painting a free to me dresser for DD with leftover paint from other projects, (5) made homemade cookies, (6) divided and repotted chives (7) transferred flowers that came up by chance from plants from a few years ago into my porch baskets rather than buying flowers, (8) watered flowers using the water in the drip bucket under the air conditioner. What did you do?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pilothillcoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
Jennie K has posted more than 400 great deals!Jennie K has posted more than 400 great deals!Jennie K has posted more than 400 great deals!Jennie K has posted more than 400 great deals!Jennie K has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmom View Post
You had a much more productive and frugal day than I did LOL. Today I organized my stockpile (my 3rd floor grocery store LOL), cut out all the Cars 2 codes from the Kelloggs boxes ($35 worth in $5 cards!), and picked lettuce and spinach from my garden for a fresh salad with dinner.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jennie K For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 PM

VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!VitaLuna has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Hmmm... Not much! I watered my tomatoes and basil (not frugal in itself, but yummy garden tomatoes are cheaper than the store!), walked to the beach instead of driving or taking the bus, took drinks from home with us and got our food to go (to a beach bench) instead of dining in (saved on drinks and a tip), and went through my mini-pantry and freezer to figure out what meals I could make this week out of what I have and minimal extras. I also washed out our reusable produce bags (love those things!)

Ir'll be great to hear what everyone else has to say!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
goldielocs has posted more than 25 good deals
Lets see...

1. I cut off lights in the whole house repeatedly and let the sun shine
2. I cut paper that had been printed on one side in half for notes/ memos
3. I dehydrated some bananas that were almost brown
4. I made some homemade coconut milk icecream that cost 1.08 OPP instead of buying the container for almost $4

That's all I can think of...
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to goldielocs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 12:43 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I found some old cabinets in our machine shop, so I took the doors off of it, so now it just looks like a huge shelving unit...still gotta get help to carry it out and clean it up. I cleaned out our other shop to make room for the shelves, hung clothes on the clothes line, got a trailer full of scrap metal out of the machine shop...taking that to recycle in the morning. We also had to put a lamb down today, so I made lamb and rice for dinner. That's all I can think of right now.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CarrieM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 AM

LetaB has posted more than 200 great deals!LetaB has posted more than 200 great deals!LetaB has posted more than 200 great deals!
-Packaged up the granola I made yesterday

-Got my cheese curds pressed, into molds and drying

-Hung two loads of laundry, about to do number three

-Drank coffee from yesterday instead of making new- refrigerated, iced, milk, sugar, YUM

-Ordered $100 worth of food for under $50 from SHARE

-Used slave labor in form of 13 year old
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to LetaB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
jennrn915 has posted more than 400 great deals!jennrn915 has posted more than 400 great deals!jennrn915 has posted more than 400 great deals!jennrn915 has posted more than 400 great deals!jennrn915 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Cooked two meals in the time I would have spent cooking one.
Didn't go to Rite Aid even though I wanted to.
Played Wii and watched dvds instead of paying for entertainment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jenn: wife to Pastor Leo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mom to Amani
and Alyssa:
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jennrn915 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I fried squash for about 2 hours and put in the freezer.
Got fresh green beans and cooked enough for 2 meals.
Got squash, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes from garden.
On Sunday, I cooked enough ribs to put 3 packs in the freezer.
Stayed home and saved on gas.
Clipped lots and lots of coupons, .
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wizard2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 AM

It's good to be back!
Too busy for coupons? NEVER!

My Mood/Status:
Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldielocs
Lets see...

1. I cut off lights in the whole house repeatedly and let the sun shine
2. I cut paper that had been printed on one side in half for notes/ memos
3. I dehydrated some bananas that were almost brown
4. I made some homemade coconut milk icecream that cost 1.08 OPP instead of buying the container for almost $4

That's all I can think of...
I am so tired of having bananas go to waste! Seems lime they turn brown faster when it's hot. How do you dehydrate them!? I would love to learn that. And then what do you do with them? Is it like dried fruit?

Sent from my iPhone
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shashahx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 01:46 AM

It's good to be back!
Too busy for coupons? NEVER!

My Mood/Status:
Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Shashahx has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
You are all very inspiring and I could learn alot! About the most frugal thing I do right now is save my paper from printing coupons for scratch paper!

We also used some cardboard boxes (flat rate boxes from auctions) for bebe gun targets and I used a cardboard box that came with flowers to store some stuff in. I'm not very creative but now that I found this thread - maybe I'll be able to see some great ideas!!

Sent from my iPhone
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shashahx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM

LetaB has posted more than 200 great deals!LetaB has posted more than 200 great deals!LetaB has posted more than 200 great deals!
Walked downtown instead of driving.

Bartered bulk purchase organic oats for my herd share.

Bartered homemade yogurt for hand milled soap.

Made yet more yogurt to sate the ravenous hordes.

Made lotion and detangling hair rinse.

Hung two loads of laundry.

Decluttered to clear out a makeup case (to use for OTC meds) instead of buying one.

Found a new, very cheap mascara that is the bomb- Mineral Infused by e.l.f. It's $3 per tube. The only mascara I've ever used that's better than this is Definicils, which is $20/tube. The e.l.f. stuff is as good as Badgal or Diorshow (which are also $20/tube).

Paid DSS to Shop Vac out the van, instead of driving to the car wash and pumping in at least $5 in quarters.

Made a $13 gamble on Lucas Transmission Treatment instead of having our transmission rebuilt for $700.

Used microfiber towels instead of paper towels to clean.

Saved laundry water for watering the garden.

Last edited by LetaB; 07-06-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LetaB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!
So far today...
1) Haven't turned on a/c even though it is 85 here.

2) Cleaned house with vinager or cleaners that hubby brings home for free.

3) Took dinner from freezer to grill rather than run to store to buy cold cuts.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 PM

wait a second, I might have a coupon for that!
Looking for my other flip flop!

My Mood/Status:
ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Made my own work breakfast and lunch from home as to not purchase take-out.

Obtained two $10 off $40 coupons for my local grocery from "public" newspapers available for all to read at a local shop (left several for others!)

Drove my hybrid to work without AC totally on the battery, so no gas used!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Momma Bear

My Mood/Status:
Wendytww has posted more than 150 good deals!Wendytww has posted more than 150 good deals!
I did something weird and frugal in a round-about way. We have paid all of our credit cards off and have no desire to build up debt again. We do want the cards to continue to be active since we will need a good credit rating in a few years when we buy a new house. So I set up 2 reoccurring payments to bill to 2 different credit cards and set up an automatic payment from my bill pay to pay them a week after they bill. How is this frugal? Now I can put my cards in the safe so I am not tempted to use them to overspend and they will still show as an active account when determining our debt to open credit ratio.

I thought it was pretty clever, !

My kids eat ORGANIC....if you count DIRT and GRASS!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Wendytww For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM

Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Breakfast was home-canned veggie soup from last year's garden.
Worked out at home (pushups, crunches, dumbbells and ankle weights) - no gym fee.
Rode the bike to the bank and the produce market instead of driving.
Worked in the garden (mulching with free craigslist mulch to save on watering)
Made yogurt (healthier than HFCS yogurts)
Hand stone-ground (no electricity) some rye and wheat (got both free) and am making bread.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jakejake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Showered used towel for 2nd day (saves on laundry) used water from shower heating up to water porch flowers, Made eggs (got from neighbor) for family for breakfast . Put egg shells in garden to help compost and keep slug population down. Put left over fruit in Tupperware instead of Ziploc. Put watermelon rind in compost. Packed leftovers for lunch for work (used produce bags instead of Ziploc), Closed all blinds to keep heat out. Came home cleaned out freezer to inventory what was in there. will make menu with what I have. Made french dip with left over steak and rolls from 4th. To beat the heat made fruit smoothie from strawberries from garden and banana that were in freezer (had spots no one will eat them when they get spots, so peel and put in freezer use in shakes works great) and juice bought on sale. plans for evening weed garden for a short while than cut coupons while watching a movie rented from library for free.Look at ads to see what's on sale tomorow.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pilothillcoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Jakejake has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilothillcoupons View Post
Put watermelon rind in compost.
I came across an interesting recipe for watermelon rinds recently - haven't tried it yet, but I liked that it was treated like a regular veggie, not pickled or sweetened to death: Watermelon Rind Salad (Moroccan Inspired)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jakejake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 07:35 PM

Frugal Finder

My Mood/Status:
Ginger Lea has posted more than 100 good deals!Ginger Lea has posted more than 100 good deals!
I am happy I found this thread. I was thinking yesterday and also today in regards to a thread called "Frugal Funnies". Did not know what everyone would think. There are some incidents where I have tried to be frugal that have backfired, humor is always good.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ginger Lea For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM

tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I watered my tomato plants (volunteer plants from peels/seeds I threw back into my planter last year). My volunteers look as good, if not better than, the plants I bought this year. I plant my "garden" in flower beds beside the house.

Froze some bananas that were about to go bad. I'll use these for banana bread or my DS's favorite cake - Banana Sour Cream.

Brought home scrap paper from work for kids to draw on/me to make notes on

Save water from hand washing/fruit washing in kitchen to water plants with.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tcsmom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 PM

My Mood/Status:
SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Wow what wonderful ideas! You all make me want to do more frugal things I did a couple things,not today but this week and last. We made jam for the first time with the plums from our tree. And Monday my son and I tie-dyed t-shirts red,white and blue for the 4th. Of course used coupons for all our supplies, even for the jam! You all are great, keep it up!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SJRoth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Grounded for Life

conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!conniel18848 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I didnt do much today. packed some canned stockpile in boxes i got yesterday.
yesterday found some good marked down items i had qs for.
last week i did great a friend called to see if i knew anyone needing carpets answer yes mom.
He gave me 2 full rolls a brown shag and a biege low shag he got free from a carpet store that wanted it hauled away because the roof leaked and the first 2 feet on the rolls got damp. theres enough to do moms whole house except kitchen she likes tile there. The bad parts now i have to install it.
found a used gas tank for my car that got a leak when i bottommed out on bad roads thanks to gas drilling destroying my world.
saved me $300.00 and moms carpeting saved at least $1,000.00 some great shopping trips yesterday. I think i saved around $1,500.00 this week so im happy.
I cant hang clothes out because of the dust from the gas well right behind my house.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to conniel18848 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
Rheston has posted more than 25 good deals
Frugal Funnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lea View Post
I am happy I found this thread. I was thinking yesterday and also today in regards to a thread called "Frugal Funnies". Did not know what everyone would think. There are some incidents where I have tried to be frugal that have backfired, humor is always good.
I love this idea. God knows I've had alot of backfires that my friends/family have had a chance to laugh at. I need all the laughs I can get lately, so please share.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rheston For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Trying to be a Proverbs 31 woman

My Mood/Status:
brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Wow, I feel so extravagant! Lol!
, Colton
, & Reagan
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brieclark For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM

gokstate has posted more than 25 good deals
Wow, my day wasn't very frugal compared to the lists above! I did "swiffer" the whole house with microfiber cloths and mopped with my reuseable mop and a spray bottle filled with water and vinegar. But my real savings was waxing my own eyebrows instead of going to the local salon like I used to every other week. I finally broke down and bought a professional waxing pot and supplies and it paid for itself within the first two months.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gokstate For This Useful Post: