What Frugal Thing Did You Do Today?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 PM

RE: What frugal thing did you do today?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have been taking some new meds that cause stomach upset. I knew all those free boxes of Zantac from the past couple of years would come in handy!

Have been shuffling my prescriptions around between stores to get $25 gift cards.

If you shop at Safeway, they have been pumping out lots of CATS lately. Free pint of Halo ice cream (+ $1 Ibotta makes it a money maker). Also CATS for $2 off O Organic Chicken or Open Nature Chicken - we often have marked down packages or ask the butcher to make up a small pkg. for you.

We are trying to take advantage of the extra summertime gas rewards.

I have been buying the discounted gift cards that the grocery stores offer for Father's Day, etc. Our offers are usually Buy $100 Visa or M.C. and get $10 off your order. Even with the processing fee of $5.95, that still gives me 4.05 % extra spending power. It is hard enough to find 4.05% on money that you are saving, let alone on money that you intend to spend! I also get 1.00% for purchasing the card with a rewards VISA.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 12:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!HFeathers has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
-Did not have any taco seasoning envelopes on hand (what kind of couponer am I?!?! Hahaha) so decided to try a recipe from pinterest with some spices I had on hand. It actually was pretty good and I used it for tacos last week and added it to some ground turkey yesterday!

-made some rice/taco bowls with the leftovers from last night so I already have 3 lunches prepared for the upcoming work week

-walked to a couple of yard sales in the neighborhood yesterday and found a nice Nike sweatshirt for DD for the fall. $2!!

-DS has completed the first section of his summer library reading program so I'll take him this week to redeem a reward.

-made popsicles out of the free True Lemon packets I picked up at Target last month.

-both kids were playing out back today with a moon sand set that a friend handed down to us. While doing so, picked some strawberries out of the garden as a snack

-been saving a little paper and ink by adding manufacturer coupons onto my walgreens and jewel osco reward card instead of printing

-scored an awesome money-maker at jewel last week. Free Zico coconut water with the MyMixx app. Then redeemed for a $3.50 ibotta rebate! I usually pass on the weekend freebies cause they always seem like something random that we won't use or I can't locate it at the store or they are already sold out. When I figured out the money making deal I practically ran to the car!

-Windows open all weekend

-DH filled up the car for me this morning on the way to his haircut as he was passing the only shell that I can redeem my fuel rewards at in our town. Saved .20/gallon so paid just $1.99/gallon to fill it up. That should last about 2 weeks!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Saved about $60 today. I luv my kitchen counter space and I also luv my radio. Our Sony under the cabinet was getting rough for receiving FM. Did some research and after about 10 min of taking it down and letting the wire loose it works like a charm again. My hubby is awesome ( he did the work )
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 06:22 AM

pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I mentioned in a post above about transferring prescriptions ... yesterday I transferred a prescription to QFC and asked about a transfer reward. To my surprise, they gave me a coupon for $75 in free groceries! Apparently a new Pharmacy promo that they just started. It never hurts to ask in a friendly and polite way!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Finally got myself to our National Park that is located right in the middle of the city. Went down to get my Lifetime National Parks Pass for the $10 Senior rate. $10 pass covers you and the others in your car at any National Park. Valid for the rest of your life. Can be obtained at any National Park, or I think you can do it online for $20.

Many years ago I did a lot of coupon trading so I kept a couple of hundred dollars in a Paypal account. I no longer need or use the account, so transferred the funds to my checking account.

Stocked up on 4th of July sales for meat for the freezer ... flat iron steaks, wild salmon, and pork tenderloin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 03:49 PM

smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I haven't seen as many different meat coupons this summer as I have in the past few years so saving money on gas because I'm not hitting all the stores #1 looking for more coupons and #2 looking for smaller packages of meat. (This summer so far, all we've seen are $1/1 meat and $2/2 pork)
And because there haven't been many coupons, we've been eating from the freezers - which is a good thing however, they are starting to get bare. We only have 2 hams left in the chest deep freeze. Once we cook those up this weekend, I'm either going to turn it off or fill it up with ziplock bags of ice. Everyone in the house (except me) play some sort of sport and they all take a cooler with them when going out to the fields. I hate that everyone stops at the gas station and pays $1.50-2.00 for a bag of ice every weekend. We've got another month - month & half for summer/fall sports and hopefully by then we will see more meat qs and I can start filling it back up with meats. (fingers are crossed)

There are still an abundance of Fresh Produce / Fruit coupons out so grab a couple everytime I'm at the store and use them for our weekly needs for dinners - potatoes, salad, lettuce, corn on cob, etc.

We ended up getting another puppy (around 1yr old). We think he's part Great Dane because of how big he is. We rescued him from a kennel/shelter and ended up getting him for free. He's already got his shots and has been fixed. We got him home and discovered that he likes to jump fences (not really jump so much as just hops right on over them like its nothing ). Hubby found wood fence panels on craigslist for free. It's not enough to go around our whole yard (2 acres) so we are going to block off part of the yard - gives the dog plenty of room to run around and play with us and gives us the piece of mind that he can't get out and get hit. (hubs and I are both overly paranoid of that happening again). We still have to buy the posts and something other stuff. Hubby is taking off part of this week to dig and get started on getting the new fence up.

My favorite time of the year is the start of school supply season. (I'm not afraid to admit that I am weird like that. ) I'm normally hitting Walmart for $0.20 1 subject notebook the first weekend of the season, hitting Office Max & Staples every single week, ordering coupons on line to get free pens.... I live for school supply season even though everyone in the family reminds me that we don't have anyone in school that needs these items. This year, I have sat it out. No coupons have been ordered, I walked right by the supplies at Walmart and I haven't set foot in an office supply store. I have gotten some of my favorite 1 subject notebooks but I have picked them up at the grocery store since they are cheaper there than Walmart. My justification - we were completely out from last year so I need to stock up for the year! I just can't quit those notebooks.

When I'm out and about I have a horrible habit of stopping at McD's or Sonic and getting $1 coke. I have bottles of water at home that I can take for free but I just need something other than water. I have started making pitchers of Lemonade and filling up the empty water bottles and having them in the fridge. That way I can just grab a bottle and go. It's been working pretty well.

We still have about 10 cases of water that we got for free earlier this summer from a promotion one of our grocery stores was doing. Through-out the 3 months they were doing it, we got around 40 cases of water. (everytime the Royals got a save, the next day you got a free case of water with your grocery store card - I have a card, my daughter has a card and my mom has a card and we got a case every single time.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smaustin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 PM

smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!smaustin has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Hy-Vee had 5lbs of potatoes on sale for $2.50 with $0.0 fuel saver. Used 2.00 off 2.00 coupon and got 20 lbs. Paid $2.00 oop but got $0.20 gas which = $4.00 in gas so making money on potatoes. Cooked them up and made mashed potatoes and froze them. Hoping they turn out yummy.

Worked from home all last week so saved a full tank of gas - which is good since gas is now $2.40 a gal. Thankfully I filled up before gas prices rose.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smaustin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Conductor of blinkies and tearpad train
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
where did you get coupon for potatoes
The Following User Says Thank You to elvis fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 04:32 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
this week Hy-vee they have .88 per lb for russet potatoes

Last edited by elvis fan; 08-30-2017 at 04:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elvis fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis fan View Post
where did you get coupon for potatoes
They are on an alcohol display in the produce Dept. There are 2 different ones....one is from a wine company and one is from a beer co.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170831_091543.jpg (172.5 KB, 9 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smaustin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:44 PM

Was at Hy-Vee this morning picking up buns. As I was walking out I saw a display for trial boxes of Tampax tampons. They were $1 but you got back $0.10 in gas on each one. $0.10 x 20 gals =$2.00. I bought 30 boxes. Paid $30 + tax and got $60 in gas. I called my mom who stopped and got 20 boxes. Called my daughter who got 15 boxes. Tried talking the twins (21 year old boys) into going and getting some but neither would do it. Will stop by tomorrow and pick up more - when we left they still had at least 100 more.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:46 PM

My mom bought new furniture for her house at the lake so the family drove to the store, picked up the furniture and delivered it - then loaded up the old furniture and took it back to her house for free trash pickup. She looked into delivery from the store however the salesman told her it would cost around $400 because of how far away her house is - she bought us all lunch and gas in the trucks and we provided the hard labor.

Spent most of the day Monday meal prepping for the week. Hubby cooked up 2 pork butts that we shredded for pulled pork sandwiches and I put them in individual serving size portions in Ziploc bags. Hyvee had hamburger buns for $0.68 so bought a few packages and wrapped them individually to freeze. Quick, easy and yummy meal for all of us to grab for lunches at work during the next few weeks.

Defrosted and ate the mashed potatoes I made last week and they were delish. Hyvee has potatoes on sale again so might stop by and get 10+ more lbs sometime this week. I'm starting to panic that the produce coupons will run out soon so want to make sure I am set for the winter months.

My Hyvee had Kraft sliced cheese (16ct) marked down to $1 a pkg (exp date is 2018). I bought 10 pkgs and used a coupon for $2 off $10 in cheese. (tearpad by beer company) Popped them all into the freezer. Hubby grills burgers A LOT so these slices will get used pretty quickly. Probably should have bought more - o'well.

Trying to give up coke however water every single day is killing me. All Hyvee's in my area have had a big tub of CountryTime lemonade mix for $6.99-7.99 almost the entire summer. Was thinking about going and buying a few however was dragging my feet about doing it (the debate in my head is: is it really better than drinking my coke?). My Hyvee put a notice on their facebook page that they had them marked down to $3.99. I went and bought 4 and to my surprise a $1 off any grocery catalina printed.

While at Hyvee found a single $3 off $3 meat tearpad coupon blowing in the parking lot. Went into the store and found an Ice coupon and Watermelon coupon tearpad but no meat coupon. Thankful to have found the one.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:28 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Smaustin - I am curious about these frozen mashed potatoes. Do you make them as if you were going to serve them then - salt, pepper, butter - or do you quit along the way? How long can you freeze them? Lastly have you done it with sweet potatoes?

TIA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock View Post
Smaustin - I am curious about these frozen mashed potatoes. Do you make them as if you were going to serve them then - salt, pepper, butter - or do you quit along the way? How long can you freeze them? Lastly have you done it with sweet potatoes?

TIA
I made them like we normally would to eat now - milk, butter, salt and pepper. Waited til they cooled and then put in containers. Microwaved them to heat up and hubby added a touch more milk and butter. Not sure how long they can last in freezer. We don't eat sweet potatoes so can't answer that question - sorry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smaustin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 11:31 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thank you. I'm thinking it might be helpful around the holidays, poor hubby has to cook it all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 PM

CVS came to our market about 2 years ago and I can't resist all the Pantene shampoo that I get for nearly free. Since I don't like it for my hair, I use it as bodywash instead.

Free eggs at Safeway with store coupon

Been getting some great clearance prices lately...
Sonicare replacement heads - 5 pack for $10 (Kroger)
Bath soap - 4 pack for $1.47 or $.37 per bar (Safeway)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 AM

If you live in the Pacific NW, Bartell is one of our local drug store chains. In their ad through next Saturday they are selling selected $50 gift cards for $40 with save $10 instantly in ad coupon. Gift cards included are: Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack, Lowes, Starbucks, Bed Bath and Beyond, REI, Dominoes Pizza, Petco, and XBOX.

We always buy a few of the Lowes and Nordstrom to keep on hand.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 AM

Was out shopping with my mom yesterday and we stopped into a new pizza shop. With the receipt we got a coupon to give an online review, print off review and bring back to the shop with the coupon and get a free small pizza on our next visit.

A grocery store close by posted on their facebook that bananas were $0.19 a lb. This store is one that has the produce / fruit coupon so stocked up on bananas. I was chopping them up to freeze for smoothies and my dog was right there by me wanting a bite. I googled to see if they were safe for him and found that bananas are an ok treat. So instead of smoothies, chopped them up and froze for puppy training treats. A whole lot cheaper than the treats we had been buying.

Won a free lb of pasta from Hyvee from using my Hyvee perks card. First time I've ever won anything from them just for swiping my card. Yay.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smaustin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 PM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Free Red Robin birthday burger & I had enough debit card points(took me 3 years to get enough points) to buy a $25 red robin gift card, so a totally free meal for DH & I including tax and tip.

Also have a free $21 steak dinner at Black Angus, free steak/shrimp dinner at Golden Corral, a free entrée at Bonefish Grill, and a Grand Slam at Denny's. Will at least have two.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM

Happy Birthday Zo!
The Following User Says Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:

TIA
I make and freeze mashed potatoes too. Make them as usual, freeze them in plastic freezer containers, put a little plastic wrap on top of them and push the wrap all the way down so it sits on the surface of the potatoes, then put the lid on. Mine stay in the freezer at least 3-4 mos.

I buy a 10 lb bag of potatoes in the fall when they are on sale for $.99. 10 lbs is way too much for the 2 of us, so I save out a few for baking, and then make a big batch of mashed to freeze.

I've never done it with sweet potatoes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Happy Birthday Nowpoints! Mine is next week.

PMR are you saying 10# lasts you all winter?

I'm going to try freezing next week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 04:14 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Happy Birthday Zo
The Following User Says Thank You to elvis fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Happy Birthday Nowpoints! Mine is next week.

PMR are you saying 10# lasts you all winter?

I'm going to try freezing next week.

I'm not sure how long 10 lbs really lasts us. We are more likely to eat them as baked potatoes. I store the bag in the basement where it is cool. Once I start to notice what is left of them getting softer, I take what's left, about 5 lbs, and make mashers for the freezer. We also eat pasta as side dishes and rice.

Years ago when we got our big freezer, I went to the frozen section at the grocery store for inspiration. I figured for the most part, anything you could buy from the frozen section you could freeze well at home.

Besides mashed potatoes - we freeze milk, butter, margarine, bread, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, chili, casseroles, cheese, coffee, bacon, lunch meat, etc.

It's nice to buy it at a stockup price and have it right there to use when you need it. Saves a lot of trips to the grocery store. Sorry, I could go on and on about how much I love my freezer!

Happy Birthday, next week, Goddessofflubbock!

Last edited by pmr; 09-15-2017 at 08:40 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 PM

More frugal decisions today!

We and all of my sisters and their extended families have agreed on no gifts for Christmas this year, AND we have decided this will be the best Christmas ever! So much time saved. Less stress and more relaxation. We are all adults now with the exceptions of 2 babies. None of us need anything, in fact some of us are trying to downsize

We have all had busy years and are ready to just have a holiday of fun!