Using Our Food Saver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Glad to save mucho mullah!

My Mood/Status:
Onetiggerroo has posted more than 75 good deals!
Talking Using our Food Saver

We have worn out the old Food Saver, and just purchased a new one! Woohoo! I like the features on the new model and it is much easier to use. It even has a bag cutter feature! We grow our own garden, and this year I have filled up a small deep freeze (3X3X4) with all of our garden veggies. Our larger (6 ft) deep freezer, is used for meats, and other larger items. Using the Air-tight Freezer bags, is a great way to prolong the life of your frozen foods and veggies. We purchase a large quanity of them at Sam's Club, for about $40.00 and the bags will last us through out the year, and well into next year.

What I have found is that my foods don't get freezer burns, and actually taste much fresher.

Some of the things I have found to make bagging easier:

Fried Green Tomatoes-I cut my tomatoes into slices, bread and then lay out on a cookie sheet. I freeze them, then I bag them up. You can do the same thing with Squash and Okra, or any other veggie you would normally bread.

Bell peppers, onions and celery, can all be chopped or sliced and put into portions in the freezer bags. It sure saves on wasted veggies that are not going to be used right away. We also do this with fruits, such as melon, bananas and berries.

Tomatoes- I par-boil to remove the skins, and then cut up the tomatoes and cook them in the recipe that I am using that day. After the tomatoes cool, I place them in small plastic containers and set on cookie sheets in the freezer. Once they are frozen, I simply run water over the bottom of the container, to release the tomatoes and bag them up. I also use this method, to freeze left over homemade soups.

Beans, corn and veggie items that need to be blanced first, are blanched and then drained. I can then bag them and freeze.

Meats- I ususally make sure that the meats are washed and well drained. I add whatever seasoning for the meals I have planned, and bag up portion sized meals. Hamburger, I usually put in 1 lb, 3 lb, and indivdual patties.

Hope this helps someone.

My life belongs to JESUS!

JESUS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Onetiggerroo For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 AM

RE: Using our Food Saver

coupons are our friends!

My Mood/Status:
justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I LOVE MY FOOD SAVE, TOO! If you've made a casserole or something squishy like lasagna. cut and freeze single servings first. Just overnight or a couple of hours, then quickly get them into those freezer bags. You can freeze fresh fruit on a cookie sheet, then put into bags and seal for freshness. Stock? Freeze it into ice cube trays, then vacuum seal it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AFC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justfluffyme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 AM

wants to save more $$$
I have the right to remain silent, not the ability

My Mood/Status:
Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cheri has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I Want One!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 AM

coupons are our friends!

My Mood/Status:
justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!justfluffyme has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Kohl's, Target, WM, etc. has them
AFC
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!
yeah I got one for Christmas last yr; I squish soft foods with it; it doesnt have a whole lot of features But I do love it
My family is addicted to garlic bread so I got a few loafs of italian bread on clearance & made my own & putit in the freezer in portions for 1 meal; otherwise they would eat it all in one sitting
LOL

& Kohl's by me is having sales on the foodsavers ALL THE TIME
MIL even says it's cheaper to get the bags etc there when there is a sale

mama to DS1
&DS2
married to
at heart
Old 12-19-2008, 01:58 PM

is not a happy camper
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!foggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I absolutely love my food saver. My children call it "The Moo Machine" because it sounds like a cow to them.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:28 PM

missyh has posted more than 1 good deal
I used mine all the time until it broke. It was a sad sad day.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:44 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
i love my food saver also, got mine 2 years ago clearanced at walmart for $20.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmpaula For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 AM

is happy dtabridal.com is up!
Shopperella

My Mood/Status:
Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Mavourneen has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
*sigh*

I need to be better about using mine. I get a little lazy on it sometimes. It is an older model, and not as user friendly as the newer ones.
It takes about 6 hands to get a bag really well sealed. Last time I checked, God only gave me 2 hands...:laugh:

Resolved: 2009 - the year Mav and her Food Saver became friends.

: Proud Mom of Carson (8) , Tae Kwon Do enthusiast and all around great kid!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!cheryllsm has posted more than 400 great deals!
Mav, I didn't use mine for about 6 months; it's just lately I got fed UP w/ DH wasting so much food by it spoiling. Plus there was some great sales on chix breast here & by my folks place.
From another post someplace here I decidedto make some spaghetti sauce & freeze it so I've got 7qts in the crock pot as we speak.

mama to DS1
&DS2
married to
at heart
Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Spending too much time on afc to finish my...

My Mood/Status:
cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!cundiff2001 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I just got one on clearance at Jcpennys for $30! I can't wait to start using it.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 PM

Is it Friday yet?
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tutt26 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I have had mine for quite a few years so its the older version. Still love it none the less. I would like to get one of the newer ones though that you can actually freeze breads and soft items without them squishing. Gonna wait til my old ones bites the dust first.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!CarolynC has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We also store the {don't ever lose} paperwork, back taxes, birth certificates, etc in them. They take up a lot less room that way and all the info is right there together! Put matches in them when you go camping, store rice, dry beans in them and you won't have a bit of a problem with bugs! Any wool sweaters do well stored in them, too!! We are going to try to store some linens & blankets that way, if I can get them rolled up small enough.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarolynC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 AM

My Mood/Status:
dixiedarling has posted more than 300 great deals!dixiedarling has posted more than 300 great deals!dixiedarling has posted more than 300 great deals!dixiedarling has posted more than 300 great deals!
I have a food saver but where do you get the bags cheaply. I feel like I am throwing money away with the bags. I am thinking about getting the jar sealer and buying mason jars and putting chips, cereal, things that get crushed and sealing them to make them last longer. Is that a good idea?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Dance Foodsaver

I love my FS!! Haven't seen this posted, but you CAN reuse the bags!!! I turn them inside out, scrub them well, and RINSE very well. Then let them air dry. Just don't forget to turn them right side out again.

One more thing, when you go to freeze fresh meats, I mix up marinades and pour onto the meat, then seal it and freeze it. It saves so much time when I can just pull it out of the freezer and it's already been marinating!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
pepsi has posted more than 400 great deals!pepsi has posted more than 400 great deals!pepsi has posted more than 400 great deals!pepsi has posted more than 400 great deals!pepsi has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedarling View Post
I have a food saver but where do you get the bags cheaply. I feel like I am throwing money away with the bags. I am thinking about getting the jar sealer and buying mason jars and putting chips, cereal, things that get crushed and sealing them to make them last longer. Is that a good idea?
I would also like to know. Does anyone use the generic bags with the food saver and how well do they work?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 AM

My Mood/Status:
travelingfool has posted more than 100 good deals!travelingfool has posted more than 100 good deals!
I have used several different generic bags over the years. One I liked as well as foodsaver bags but the reason I got them was WalMart was clearancing them out. I had some with mesh panels down the middle- hard to clean, pebbly feeling ones-hard to seal, extra plastic panels down the side - ok, I still have some of those BUT the best are still the foodsaver ones. If you sign up on the foodsaver website they will send you sale emails. The last time I saw a combination of free shipping and a percentage off, i bought the bulk package of rolls. I think it ended up $5/roll. anyway, I use each bag until it is too small to hold a guppie. So, I get my money's worth.
My whine of the day---I used up the last bag of soup fresh vegetables from last year---in last night's soup!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 AM

melissa hale has posted more than 5 good deals
great ideas. thanks.
yes Jesus does rock.
Melissa
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
rsemmel has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rsemmel has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rsemmel has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rsemmel has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rsemmel has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rsemmel has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!rsemmel has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I just got my FS today. I cant wait to use it.
Spencer
& Schuyler
& I cant forget our crazy cat Tigger
Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 PM

flirtykitty has posted more than 10 good deals
My grandmother turned me onto the food saver, she still has her old one (from when I was a kid) and uses it all the time! She's used pretty much every generic bag there is, that's designed the same as the food saver bags--she says she sees no real difference in quality, overall--and she too will make them a bit long to start with, so she can rinse and reuse. So I, too, am a convert... Oh, one other thing that I love about it, that she taught me--when you open a chip bag, bag of veggies, bag of pasta... pretty much any plastic-based bag, really, you can pull out what you're going to use for that serving, then take the plastic, smooth it out, and seal the edge with the food saver. Even chip bags, with the metallic insides, will seal just fine this way! I'll admit we've been kinda creative when opening things, cutting a corner instead of the entire bag, for instance, to make sure that the opening will fit on the sealing surface, but we've never had a problem getting something to reseal (even frozen veggies), and things stay so much fresher that way--no more stale chips!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flirtykitty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 AM

My Mood/Status:
travelingfool has posted more than 100 good deals!travelingfool has posted more than 100 good deals!
Well flirtykitty, they say we are supposed to learn something new every day. You taught me something new for today. I had no idea I could put those metallic chip bags on the foodsaver!! And, I have used the foodsaver for years and years! Thanks.