Monster House -- Now Available On DVD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 08:04 AM
ISO Expired RR or other $ off catalinas
Minnesota Get Together was the BEST!

My Mood/Status:
Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Monster House -- Now available on DVD

I went to see this movie with my childern and one of my children's friend. I wanted to go see Click, but the friend had already seen it. So we opted for Monster House.

When the show started with this little animated girl singing..lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala (and on and on), I was ready to walk out. She was so annoying. Thankfully she stopped and the animation continued. I am not a huge fan of animated films (other than cartoons) and didn't know that this was one of them.

After the little girl ran home without her bike, the movie got better. It was interested for the kids (10b, 12g, and 12b).

I would strongle suggest not having any children under the age of 6 watch this movie though. We had a family who had 2 children crying because of it being scary (the idiotic family kept the kids there). A house coming to life as a monster and "sucking" them up with a rug is scary for any small child.

All in all (aside from me wanting to smack the parents of the small children), I liked the film.

Anyone else see it with small children who did do ok?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GreatBearMagnus; 10-24-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 08:21 AM

RE: Monster House -- Now available on DVD

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

Angie has posted more than 400 great deals!Angie has posted more than 400 great deals!Angie has posted more than 400 great deals!Angie has posted more than 400 great deals!Angie has posted more than 400 great deals!
My 10 year old seen it and she didn't say anything about it being scary. Guess I will have to ask her more about it.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Kmchamplin has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirls
My 10 year old seen it and she didn't say anything about it being scary. Guess I will have to ask her more about it.
It wouldn't of been scary for the majority of 10 yr olds. It can be for younger kids, who still believe in monsters under the bed or in the closets. The house in this film is posessed and is "alive". It "eats" people, animals and toys. Not something for young kids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:37 AM

AFC Star Member

GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirls
I believe Monster House was probably the most intense movie of the year so far. (I will acknowledge that this is at least in part because of the fact that we haven't had a good horror movie yet this year, but still, this movie is much more than its PG rating implies).

It is more intense than the following list of movies, all of which are from this year: The Omen (2006), The Hills Have Eyes (2006), When a Stranger Calls (2006), and Final Destination 3. And all those movies sucked, whereas Monster House is actually somewhat interesting.

I'm not saying that Monster House is in the same category as the horror movies, I'm just saying that, when all is said and done, it is just as intense as they are ....

I have the remake of "The Wicker Man" on the calendar for Thursday, and I hope that will be the first good horror movie of 2006.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:56 AM

is saying LUV YA to all her AFC chicks.

My Mood/Status:
southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!southerngirl has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
My kids 6 and 8 have put Monster House on the "don't want to see List" just by watching the previews and commercials.

I think the 8yo would watch it but the 6 year old gets a little anxious just watching the preview.

kel- It would have ticked me off too....there is no reason to scare little kids...why take them to the movie if it is just going to scare them?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:18 AM

Gone crazy, be back later

ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!
My 5 year old announced he DID NOT want to see that scary movie the first time we saw the preview, and confirmed it after the second time we saw the preview...wish they had not shown it before Over the Hedge and Cars...while I don't think either of them were rated G, it was for different reasons than Monster House, which I thought looked scary myself!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM

jmonster04 has posted more than 10 good deals
I **** you not, i went to see thte movie"bad santa" remember that? Wel anyway there was a mom and dad who brought their 3 year old to the movie. I ask her what she was thinking. )I am very vocal aabout some things). The lady said "oh she wont understand any of it any way." REally, are some people that stupid? I was appauld!Laura
Old 08-29-2006, 02:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonster04
I **** you not, i went to see thte movie"bad santa" remember that? Wel anyway there was a mom and dad who brought their 3 year old to the movie. I ask her what she was thinking. )I am very vocal aabout some things). The lady said "oh she wont understand any of it any way." REally, are some people that stupid? I was appauld!Laura
I would of told the lady also that she should not of brought in a 3 yr old. They do pick up on things if repeated enough and in that movie everything was repeated. Some people can make kids, but it doesn't mean that they are going to be good parents.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:25 PM

is p!$$ed that I cannot edit my posts...
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Does anyone with young kids have anything to add? My 4 1/2 y/o DS really, really wants to see this. Has seen the preview twice and the commercials several times and has not been scared by them even a little. He truly wants to see it, but I do not want to bring him if it will be too much for him....
Old 09-03-2006, 03:59 PM

AFC Star Member

GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!GreatBearMagnus has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectcokestuff
Does anyone with young kids have anything to add? My 4 1/2 y/o DS really, really wants to see this. Has seen the preview twice and the commercials several times and has not been scared by them even a little. He truly wants to see it, but I do not want to bring him if it will be too much for him....
I saw this movie a while back. I am not bringing my 5yo to see it. But he is a sensitive kid. I wouldn't take the average 7yo to see this. But if your 4 1/2 yo is the type of kid who won't be bothered by things, then so be it. Worst thing that happens is you have to get up and leave .... That's what my neighbor had to do (with her 6yo and 4yo).
Old 09-03-2006, 04:02 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Thanks, I appreciate the honesty
Old 09-03-2006, 06:13 PM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectcokestuff
Just chiming in....
I wouldn't recommend it not matter how 'tough' your 4 yr old is. I have heard from too many people (online and at work and from friends) that this is NOT a movie for any child that age.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
wow, well thanks for the heads up, will take him to see Barnyard instead LOL
Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 PM

AFC Star Member

With all due respect to LSLP, the movie is not evil or even mean-spirited, nor is it grotesque or horrific. It is, however, very intense. And there are a handful of scenes in it which make me wonder how it was able to keep its PG rating. In fact, it is a very good movie, just probably not right for the average 5 yo child.

Barnyard is a decent alternative. And since you have an alternative, you're probably best to go with that ....
Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 PM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBearMagnus
With all due respect to LSLP, the movie is not evil or even mean-spirited, nor is it grotesque or horrific. It is, however, very intense. And there are a handful of scenes in it which make me wonder how it was able to keep its PG rating. In fact, it is a very good movie, just probably not right for the average 5 yo child.
GBM -- I didn't mean to imply it was evil or any of those other adjectives. I haven't seen the movie, so I don't personally know. I just know that there is GREAT talk amongst friends/co-workers/newspaper articles/parenting boards that this movie should've been given a PG-13 rating in order to keep the preschool/K/under 7 or 8 population away. That's all I meant. No offense was taken by your post... just clarifying myself and where my comment came from.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:48 AM

AFC Star Member

Just wanted to bump this up ... "Monster House" is available on DVD beginning today.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 AM

is kickin' it old skool!
Monkey's momma

My Mood/Status:
shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBearMagnus
Just wanted to bump this up ... "Monster House" is available on DVD beginning today.
I'm there!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:23 AM

is kickin' it old skool!
Monkey's momma

My Mood/Status:
shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!shopaholic has posted more than 400 great deals!
True, very true! This was an intense movie that even had my husband on the edge of his seat! The animation was so believable too. At one point, my sons' eyes were so bugged out, I just couldn't resist the temptation to shout "BOO"!! After the slap that I had already expected, we settled back in to enjoy the rest of it, which turned out to have a very unique ending. Two thumbs up for a family night movie if you have kids over 7 or 8 that aren't easily frightened!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 AM

AFC Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopaholic
Two thumbs up for a family night movie if you have kids over 7 or 8 that aren't easily frightened!!
I think that's the best way for kids to watch it!! Good job, shopa!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 PM

AFC Star Member

Just wanting to Bumpity-bump this one up, as this DVD is the "video of the day" or whatever they call it over at familyvideo.com ...

the math is something like $9.98 - $5.00 new member code (NEWMEM96) + $0.99 shipping = $5.97 shipped!

Tags
dvd, house, monster