Penny Clearance Items... Lets Talk. YMMV

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 AM

RE: Penny clearance items... lets talk. YMMV

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Clipping to go Camping!

My Mood/Status:
cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonAssassin View Post
District manager called me today. I'm getting a $10 GC. I had to keep the hubby from snatching the phone away. The DM was loud enough that hubby could hear him across the room without it being on speaker phone and wasn't exactly the nicest person about penny items. However, he will allow the stores to sell them again. So yay!!!
Which state are you in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The 2014 Nashville area Entertainment Coupon Book is here! --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 AM

My Mood/Status:
realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
District manager called me today. I'm getting a $10 GC. I had to keep the hubby from snatching the phone away. The DM was loud enough that hubby could hear him across the room without it being on speaker phone and wasn't exactly the nicest person about penny items. However, he will allow the stores to sell them again. So yay!!!
happy for you and hoping for some great shopping to come your way : )
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!realsweety has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciBarnes23 View Post
I've hit the mother load if its pennied out tomorrow. I'm going first thing to see. I found a store with a ton of stuff and I left it tonight in hopes that its a Penny in the morning. Oh lord jesus! Ill be in heaven!! Decorative boxes and baskets galore.
I will cross my fingers and I will be thinking good thoughts for a trouble free checkout for you : )
Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
MoonAssassin has posted more than 200 great deals!MoonAssassin has posted more than 200 great deals!MoonAssassin has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwymer
Which state are you in?
Georgia.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 AM

Clipping to go Camping!

My Mood/Status:
cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!cwymer has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Georgia.
Okay, thank you. I'm in Tennessee so I suppose it is a different DM. I have only had one store limit me to 1 penny item.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM

My Mood/Status:
susantoyota has posted more than 150 good deals!susantoyota has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by susantoyota View Post
Originally Posted by lin_swan
I don't know if it's on the list, but I found a Disney princess table and chairs that stack into a castle that is also a penny. The store had this and the Toy Store one, and the cashier refused to sell them to me. I called customer service, and set up a 3 way call with the store. He resolved it immediately, and I as able to buy them. It was a big ordeal though because my phone wouldn't work in the store. I feel guilty for getting the girl in trouble, but they should really know their own store policy.

I saw a Disney table and chairs that stack into a rocket, some kind of Spiderman tent, and a CARS video game up on a top shelf. Seemed as if they had been there a while. Anyone know if they are ringing up for a penny?
I went back last night and got 2 sets of the Toy Story 'Rocket' table with chairs and the CARS video game. The table and chair sets originally retailed for $50 (price on the box) and the CARS video game for $40 (price on the box). The Spiderman tent rang up at $10 and I put it back. The young man at the checkout was so nice, said they weren't supposed to sell the penny items, didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned the SOP in the DG Manual. He seemed to get a kick out of what I was getting (I donate my bounty to the kids (foster) that we serve and came out to get my cart after I finished loading the table/chair sets into my toyota.

Still waiting on a call back from the DM re: the Disney Pillow Pets at the other DG store
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM

My Mood/Status:
ashleynottingham1 has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybug12
I recently found:

A ton of amazing value items

9 Disney Pillow Pets (all my nieces and nephews will have a christmas gift unlike last year!)

9 cuddlees

2 forever lazy

4 Highschool Musical games

7 Total Workout Kits

2 Wii Boxing Gloves

1 Golden Tee Golf

Altogether I bought over 400 penny items in two days at 12 different dollar general stores. I only had a problem out of one manager who refused to sell me the items in my carts after he watched me like a hawk throughout the whole store like I was gonna steal the xbox and wii items in my cart. He asked if I planned on buying a bunch of the games in my cart (like I was being all suspicious). I said yes I am for a penny a piece. He said those arent a penny. I said yes they are. He scanned them and of course they were ringing up a penny. I told him that I'd already talked to corp. about the issue and that they assured me Dollar General would sell me whatever I had in my cart. He called his boss four times and still refused. I told him then I'd call corp. because there was no way I was leaving without my items. He asked me what number I had. He dialed it as I read it off to him. They told him to sell me the items I had in my cart and to look through the store and pull the rest.

I plan to revisit a few of these stores again tomorrow to look for some of the other things I have seen mentioned here. This is the only way that everyone in my family would get anything for Christmas from us because I have three small children of my own and can't normally afford to buy anyone anything after I shop for them. So this is truly a blessing to us to be able to do this. Hopefully I have enough left over to donate to my child's school after Christmas.

I'm Kelli, btw. I've been lurking here and studying these pages for about three weeks. I decided it was finally time to come out of hiding and say hi :-D
Good Job Kelli!! I feel that I'm in the same boat as you! I have four small children and a full time stay at home mommy! All of these penny items make nice little gifts! Whether a birthday present, Christmas gift, or just a nice little surprise for the little ones for doing something worth being rewarded for!! Welcome to the DG Penny Hunters Club!! Lol!!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM

My Mood/Status:
MoonAssassin has posted more than 200 great deals!MoonAssassin has posted more than 200 great deals!MoonAssassin has posted more than 200 great deals!
Visited the DG in the next town over while I was visiting today. I found the mother load! However, the said that the reason all the penny items were together on the shelf was because they had already cleared them and couldn't sell them to me. They did give me 3 of the pillow pets and my 90% off items.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 AM

mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losingitagain

I am in Wisconsin. It probably isn't that your stores don't "participate" but more they are "doing their job." Your stores are like mine. I rarely find these penny items because my employees pull everything they are supposed to pull so penny items aren't on the floor The only way you will probably find anything is if something is accidentally left behind. I found one pillow pet on a top shelf with two that aren't pennied out; I had to pull down the whole box off the top shelf to look at the back of the box and find that they missed the full sized pillow pet. If store employees are doing what they are supposed to (pull the discontinued items off the shelf) you won't find what others are finding. I usually find things when I travel out of the state of Wisconsin.
What part of WI? I've found it to be the same by me!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 AM

ceehatch has posted more than 25 good deals
One thing everyone needs to remember ... ALL DG's HAVE to allow you to purchase everything in your carts! They CAN NOT limit you they CAN NOT refuse you! I personally, never call DM's. I go straight to the top. DM's will refuse cause it could get them in trouble if their stores are not pulling the items. They don't want that so they usually won't act according to SOP.
Never leave the store without your haul 9 times outta 10 you won't get it back. Step to the side, call Corporate at this # 1-615-845-4000. Press 8 for a CSR, they always answer, even on weekends and at night. They will explain to clerk and clear everything up. It may take a while, usually not, but be prepared.
HTH

Last edited by ceehatch; 08-20-2013 at 10:33 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ceehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceehatch
One thing everyone needs to remember ... ALL DG's HAVE to allow you to purchase everything in your carts! They CAN NOT limit you they CAN NOT refuse you! I personally, never call DM's. I go straight to the top. DM's will refuse cause it could get them in trouble if their stores are not pulling the items. They don't want that so they usually won't act according to SOP.
Never leave the store without your haul 9 times outta 10 you won't get it back. Step to the side, call Corporate at this # 1-615-845-4000. Press 8 for a CSR, they always answer, even on weekends and at night. They will explain to clerk and clear everything up. It may take a while, usually not, but be prepared.
HTH
Good information! Thank you!
The only reason I didn't call this time was I asked what they were going to do with the stuff and they said they donate it to ***** church who gives to needy families. This is only the second DG I've found that does this!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!
IF that's what they do it..... my friend who works for dg doing inventory says 9 times out of 10 they throw it away out of laziness
Old 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM

mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mjlajl has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadiloveslife

Yeah to find the penny items to donate to my classroom
Are you a teacher? How did you get them to donate the items to you?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM

Gray2724 has posted more than 25 good deals
Tried 2 stores today (my first penny hunt) and they were both busts.

Store #1 I found:
Slushee cups that rang up for $9
One caterpillar hooded blanket without a tag (cashier offered it to me for $2, I passed)
Bobbi tights with a pink star for $4

Store #2 i found a whole aisle of the green box amazing buys, home decor and misc. odds and ends (foam stickers, lint brush, microfiber towels, kitchen utensils, etc.) that were supposed to be purple dot 90% off. Still not a penny but that would have been fine with me. Well, none of them rang up for more than 25% off and part of it turns out was green dot items. The amazing buys don't have dots so they were stocking to their 25% off guns. Oh well, no luck in N. TX. I might try a store near my mom when I go to see her.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM

mommybug12 has posted more than 25 good deals
Found some more penny items today! So lad all the stores I go to are up to date on their policy.

I got:

8 gray dot boys shirts

6 or 7 amazing value items

Another Golden Tee golf game

Another Cuddlee

And a Barbie Gift set toy with a price tag on the front that says $10. It has bubble bath and a toy hair dryer and bows in it.

I also price checked a few items just to see what they rang up but no luck with that! Still did pretty good considering I thought I already wiped them all out.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM

My Mood/Status:
yadiloveslife has posted more than 100 good deals!yadiloveslife has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlajl

Are you a teacher? How did you get them to donate the items to you?
I brought a note to them from my campus asking them for donations on school letter head
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM

kreed2312 has posted more than 150 good deals!kreed2312 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:

I brought a note to them from my campus asking them for donations on school letter head
So how did your day go today?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:

That's awesome I do occupational therapy with special needs students in schools I wonder if I could get them to donate their stuff to us.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM

My Mood/Status:
yadiloveslife has posted more than 100 good deals!yadiloveslife has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed2312

So how did your day go today?
I am exhausted.. Stopped by and they said to come tomorrow and they would let me walk around
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlajl

That's awesome I do occupational therapy with special needs students in schools I wonder if I could get them to donate their stuff to us.
Yeah you would just need a letter from the company asking for donations.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Ok i went to today and i hit the jack pot... i had 2 carts full of stuff...from amazing value ( 4 shelves full of amazing value, couldn't believe my eyes..., work out thingy for wii, 4 amazing oven gloves(as seen on Tv), 5 perfect Bra, forever lazy, 10 t-shirts, 2 cars, 3 Bling thingy's. Was told today that email was sent out to stores to sell all penny items that people bring to register. But 1 manager didn't get the memo but cashier did. They were all really nice . It was so easy...will post picture soon of my finds..
The Following User Says Thank You to iCoupn4That For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 06:35 PM

My Mood/Status:
bella_4624_19 has posted more than 100 good deals!bella_4624_19 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I know most people are only looking to spend low oop but DG does have decent deals on regular priced stuff too. I only say this cause that is how I hide all my penny stuff. I buy soda, chips, and other snacks and I have not had a person question my penny stuff. But I also have the luck of having a store who doesn't care if I buy only penny stuff. We all know they are supposed to sell it to you but I don't have it in me to fight over stuff sometimes. So when I find a store with a lot of penny items, I go ahead and buy some stuff to kinda mix in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bella_4624_19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!iCoupn4That has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCoupn4That View Post
Ok i went to today and i hit the jack pot... i had 2 carts full of stuff...from amazing value ( 4 shelves full of amazing value, couldn't believe my eyes..., work out thingy for wii, 4 amazing oven gloves(as seen on Tv), 5 perfect Bra, forever lazy, 10 t-shirts, 2 cars, 3 Bling thingy's. Was told today that email was sent out to stores to sell all penny items that people bring to register. But 1 manager didn't get the memo but cashier did. They were all really nice . It was so easy...will post picture soon of my finds..
Hope i did this right. I'm trying to upload the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penny haul.jpg (21.2 KB, 142 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to iCoupn4That For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Clipping to go Camping!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCoupn4That View Post
Good for you!!!! I am so jealous! Can't wait until I see your pictures.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Clipping to go Camping!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_4624_19 View Post
I know most people are only looking to spend low oop but DG does have decent deals on regular priced stuff too. I only say this cause that is how I hide all my penny stuff. I buy soda, chips, and other snacks and I have not had a person question my penny stuff. But I also have the luck of having a store who doesn't care if I buy only penny stuff. We all know they are supposed to sell it to you but I don't have it in me to fight over stuff sometimes. So when I find a store with a lot of penny items, I go ahead and buy some stuff to kinda mix in.
It does seem to make it easier, I at least get a coke and DH gets chips. Last night I got a couple of amazing values items I found, a forever cuddlee and a coke for $1.14. The cashier was, "like wow im going shopping with y'all". So ive had a few to question the low total.

The Following User Says Thank You to cwymer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread