Membership Discounts At Costco?

Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 PM

RE: Membership discounts at Costco?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Coupon Fanatic

FullCupSoup has posted more than 1 good deal
i'm still not in yet. i keep such odd hours, and i'm kinda disorganized.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 PM

Coupon Fanatic

i'm a member

after thinking about it, i decided to take a shot at it for a year. i go to the eden prairie, MN, location, primarily.

a couple of notes: as mentioned months ago, i'm a single male who doesn't buy in volume like families would. i asked for a membership for Xmas and my brother's family got me one. so even though i didn't spend the $50, i still think of it as a $50 investment. i started my membership in early february, so i'm less than 2 months in.

i upgraded to the executive. it's an additional $50, but they gave me a $25 cash card that day for signing up, and if i don't earn a $50 rebate on my purchases at the end of my one year, they'll automatically credit me $50, i was told. therefore there's no risk, only reward...and i'm making at least $25 on the deal, so that knocks down the investment on my membership to $25. (no, i didn't give the $25 to my brother.)

milk is cheap right now, a lot cheaper than it had been the past couple of years, even so, i still get great savings at costco. i just wish they had better milk jugs! i drink a fair amount, so i buy two gallons when i go, and i'm typically saving $1/gallon. that alone will save me at least $20 in a year.

i buy eggs and cheese there a lot. that saves me money since i freeze some of it for later use. i don't have a huge freezer, but i make room for cheese. incredible how much i save on cheese via costco. i'll use more, sure, but it's nice to not feel like cheese is a luxury. yes, i have a modest income. i wish i was single and raking in $50K/year and didn't have to bargain hunt when i shopped, although i probably still would if i get a big raise tomorrow.

i have used costco to save on gas a few times already. when i see gas prices going up around town, costco doesn't increase until at least a day later, so if i get to costco that day i can save a few dollars if i am filling up. they don't take most credit cards, but they do take my wells fargo visa debit card, so that works. i can't charge my gas to my super america mastercard and earn super america points, but that's life.

the executive membership grants me a second card for anyone i wish. i gave it to my mom, and she'll use it some. i assume i earn credit on her purchases, but i don't know. doesn't matter.

eden prairie has no liquor sales, as i suspected, because the city has a monopoly on liquor sales. three cheers for antiquated MN liquor laws.

i haven't made that one purchase that saves me $50, but i am certain i will in the coming months. my friend wants to buy new luggage of some sort. (she's a flight attendant, and others have told her costco has good deals on luggage.) if she ends up buying it through costco, i will have done her a huge favor, and she's a good friend, so that's worth a ton to me. there was a halfway decent 3-piece set on sale in march for like $70, but she decided to wait.

so even for a single guy like me who spends less and less as i get poorer and poorer (thank god i still have a job), costco makes a lot of sense for me.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM

JEP has posted more than 200 great deals!JEP has posted more than 200 great deals!JEP has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmush View Post
so does costco have one day passes for people to check them out?
If your Costco has a Pharmacy,just tell the door guard your going to the Pharmacy.
You don't have to be a member to get prescrip drugs and Yes most are cheaper.

Once in you can wonder and look anywhere you want,Just can't Purchase.

That's how I scooped out COSTCO before Joining
Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Full Cup Soup - try their brand of paper towels - they are much better and cheaper than bounty. I am single and just stick them in a closet and take them out as I need them. Also if you use the compact fluorescent lamps they have good prices on those also. HTH
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Coupon Fanatic

thanx 4 the suggestion

i use so few paper towels on a monthly basis that i'm not sure if it's worth it to me to buy a year's worth of paper towels. (my apartment is a bit cramped, although i'd find space if i had to.)

i did buy the kirkland brand toilet paper, which is a better value than what costco offers on name brand t.p. -- i'm not a big fan of the fact that you get 36 rolls that are individually wrapped, but it seems to be as good, if not better than any offer i can find at the grocery store or target.

i found their price for waffles is better than i can ever get on sale, so i bought a box of 60 not so long ago....that's a little more than i care to cram in my freezer at one time, but i eat them if i have them, usually 4 in a day, so it won't take that long before i'm down to one pack of 10.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YvetteL has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
FCS- you will get a credit on what your second card holder purchases as well.

And i am with you on the cheese!!!! Their mozzarella (the double 'logs' of the fresh stuff), is the same price for TWO as it is in local stores for ONE.
The Following User Says Thank You to YvetteL For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Needs to get to CVS already!
Yay! I can use expired grocery qs!!

My Mood/Status:
Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I didn't read a lot of the thread but thought I'd say that around here there has been a membership special that expires tomorrow!

The regular membership is 50. but you get a $10 gift card. The executive membership is $100 and you get $20 in gift cards.

I chose the executive, and here's why. You also get 2% of all your purchases back in a check at the end of your first membership year. AND they GUARANTEE that you will get $50 dollars back. If you haven't spent enough over the year to get $50 then you take your check in to customer service and they make up the difference, and you receive a total of $50. That clinched it for me, that brings the actual cost of membership to $30.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 AM

VentiChai has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCupSoup View Post
... I upgraded to the executive. it's an additional $50, but they gave me a $25 cash card that day for signing up, and if i don't earn a $50 rebate on my purchases at the end of my one year, they'll automatically credit me $50 ....
We shop at Costco 3-4 times per month. We also upgraded to the executive membership. While waiting in line to pay, a costco employee scanned our card to see how much we had spent YTD to see if it was worthwhile for us to upgrade. We did upgrade and only had to pay $7.86 for our renewal membership after the $92.14 cash back we received. We don't spend a ton (mostly produce, some dairy and a few frozen thing) and avoid most of the gotta-have-it stuff.

You could also have a friend who is a Costco member buy you a Costco cash card which can be used without having a membership. They will have to reload it for you as you have to be a member to do this.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:12 PM

My Mood/Status:
sheila802 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Amex sent out a "coupon" for a free costco membership. You have to call and register your card, buy a membership on your amex, then buy something that day and amex will refund your $50.00 membership fee.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Aaron (7)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rachel (6)
and Jason (11 months)

Tags
membership