I Walked Out Of Target Without Paying For $100 In Merch.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
First trimester blues...er....pukes.
My coupon binder has a shoulder strap.

My Mood/Status:
Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Target I walked out of Target without paying for $100 in merch.

I am terrbile at estimating my bill, I really need to bring my calculator. So when my cart FULL of stuff came to only $60 I didn't think twice. I just thought I got some great deals.

All my coupon stuff plus lots of Thomas the Tank engine on clearance (using my extra pay this month to buy christmas and birthday). I was expecting my bill pre -coupons to be well over $200, it was only $123.00 (then $60 after coupons)

I was beating myself up for adding in my head incorrectly. The cashier had to manually punch in some of the coupons (That should have set off a red flag, but it didn't, I just pulled the merch out of the bag if she said "did you buy two of these?")
I get home, start putting all my stuff away...oh no!

The cashier skipped all the toys on clearence, four bottles of soft scrub, two boxes of hair dye, toothpaste and some masking tape.

I grabed my calculator and did some quick math from prices I remembered and the marked clearance prices, I walked out of Target with out paying for almost $100 worth of merch. I called the store, the customer service lady told me that she can't make me pay for the stuff since I already took it home and it wasn't my fault, but I just have to. I love my Target and I want to come back.

How does this work with the coupons? She already took the money off manually, so I owe Target the full price right? So lets say that a toothpaste was $2.75 and I had a $1/1 coupons, she didn't scan the item but took the coupons, I owe Target the full $2.75?
I did make it known that I was unhappy that I will have to make a second trip, and it will have to be on my lunch break no less.

Also, how much trouble will this cashier get in, oh no!

In other news, there are a ton of toys on clearance, Christmas is only 6 months away people!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Mommy to Nathan 11-23-09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I owe you a Trader Rating, please forgive me: my brain needs a memory upgrade. Please remind me.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beth12891 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 PM

RE: I walked out of Target without paying for $100 in merch.

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I would feel the same way. Even though you didn't intentionally do anything wrong, you'll feel better making it right. I also understand the hesitation because you don't want the cashier to get in trouble, but at the same time it sounds like this person needs, at the very least, some more extensive training. Can you imagine if this is happening with other people who aren't as honest as you are?

The first thing I would do is sit down and figure out if all my coupons went through. Once you establish that, and know exactly which items you were charged for, you'll know what to take back to the store with you. And assuming that all of your coupons were processed, yes, you'll owe the full total of all the missing items. Oh, and I would take it all back to customer service and ask for the manager. (I think they're called STL's? Store Team Leader or something like that.) That way you can explain the entire situation and let them decide how to handle it.

It does seem like a hassle, but I applaud you for doing the right thing! (And who knows, maybe the manager will offer you a discount for your trouble? )
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BargainMama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
tina67young has posted more than 10 good deals
You already got the savings for the things you would have used a coupon for anyway, so no, you should not have to pay full price, they can adjust it so you're paying the price you would have paid with the coupon...does that make sense? You should only be paying the price it would have been AFTER the coupon. Besides, they SHOULD give you an additional discount for being honest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tina67young For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Lift while you climb
Aldi Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Good for you for being so honest! I bet they look at you funny when you go back. Some people try to sneak out that much stuff so they don't have to pay, and you're bringing it back so you can!

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM

I've been Elfed!

My Mood/Status:
shelychris has posted more than 100 good deals!shelychris has posted more than 100 good deals!
I would think that you would pay full price UNLESS a coupon didn't scan. Otherwise, the coupon value was already deducted from the total you paid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelychris For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddictqc has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainMama View Post
I would feel the same way. Even though you didn't intentionally do anything wrong, you'll feel better making it right. I also understand the hesitation because you don't want the cashier to get in trouble, but at the same time it sounds like this person needs, at the very least, some more extensive training. Can you imagine if this is happening with other people who aren't as honest as you are?

The first thing I would do is sit down and figure out if all my coupons went through. Once you establish that, and know exactly which items you were charged for, you'll know what to take back to the store with you. And assuming that all of your coupons were processed, yes, you'll owe the full total of all the missing items. Oh, and I would take it all back to customer service and ask for the manager. (I think they're called STL's? Store Team Leader or something like that.) That way you can explain the entire situation and let them decide how to handle it.

It does seem like a hassle, but I applaud you for doing the right thing! (And who knows, maybe the manager will offer you a discount for your trouble? )
i agree! It is a good idea to go back but definately go through your receipt well first. I would also make sure they know that it is a huge inconvenience for you to make that trip back when you didn't even make an error, they did. Good for you doing the right thing!

Danisha wife to Bryce
mommy to Tyler, 6
Bryson, 2
and Ayden born 7/16/11!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to couponaddictqc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainMama has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
The way I understood it is that the coupons were already taken off, so that would mean the items that didn't scan should be charged at full price. (Unless the manager decides to offer a discount.)

For example if the transaction looked like this (I'm just making stuff up here):
Poptarts $2.65
Diapers $8.99
Jeans $14.99
= $26.63
Poptart coupons - $1
Diaper coupon - $2
Toothpaste coupon - $1
Softscrub coupon - $2.50
Total oop = $20.13

So if you already got credit for the toothpaste and softscrub coupon, you would pay the full price for those items. You don't subtract those coupons again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BargainMama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Glad you called and offered to pay the difference, I look at it a little differently- I have been on the other side of the stick at Target more times than I can count, where I have been overcharged for items due to all my coupons not coming off correctly. Only to go to the service desk to be treated like I am the one doing something wrong.... While they submit my coupons to get full re-imbursement from the manufacture. Managemant at store level is not helpful, corporate gives the same line to everyone who calls about the issue, the issue just goes on and on.... Target cheats their couponing customers all across America and they profit from us... They need to fix their messed up computer software and conduct their store in an honest manner, then I would feel bad about the mistake they made with giving you $100 worth of merchandise for free, IMO,Sorry - I will get off my soapbox now.

I just saw your location, we shop in the same area and I have had many issues at the Elyria store in regards to coupons. The last being about 6 months ago with the schick hydro razor and john frieda q's not coming off right I ended up after 2 hrs at the service desk and two calls to corporate walking out with my missed coupon total of $53 being put on a Target giftcard , even though I paid with my debit card, something about the transaction had not posted, Every time I shop in there I have issues... Amherst used to be better but the last time I was there about two months ago-coupons still were not coming off correctly either. I do not feel the stores around us are well managed.

Frugalista mom to:
DD(12),
DS(9),
DD(8), Twin Girls (7)

Last edited by 4my5kds; 07-05-2011 at 10:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4my5kds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM

back in the game
coupaholic

My Mood/Status:
ltlmissg has posted more than 5 good deals
if your poptarts are $2.65 and they took your $1 q off you would only pay $1.65 not the full price. if you pay full price you will not only be paying to much but they already have your q that you won't get back and already used. it will be like you are paying them back the q and paying full price.
The Following User Says Thank You to ltlmissg For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmissg View Post
if your poptarts are $2.65 and they took your $1 q off you would only pay $1.65 not the full price. if you pay full price you will not only be paying to much but they already have your q that you won't get back and already used. it will be like you are paying them back the q and paying full price.
Okay the poptarts were my example, I really don't know what all she bought, but the analogy works so I'm going to keep with it. In this situation, you pay the full $2.65 because you already got the $1 poptart coupon taken off your purchase. It was just attached to the wrong item.

If you go to a store and they only scan half your stuff, but they scan all of your coupons, you still owe the money for the other half of the stuff. Nothing's being returned or exchanged so no coupon value is lost.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BargainMama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 AM

My Mood/Status:
Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!Beth12891 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Thanks everyone.
She scanned all my coupons or punched them in manually, so I guess that I do owe them the full price.
4my5kids: This is the first time I have had trouble at the Elyria store, I can't drive all the way out to Amherst, its just not worth the gas since the Target is less than 3 miles from me. Sorry they give you such a hard time :-(

If I owe you a Trader Rating, please forgive me: my brain needs a memory upgrade. Please remind me.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
How on Earth would a cashier miss that much stuff?!?! I could see a couple of skipped items in a large transaction but anything more and I would assume it is done purposefully. She should be reprimanded.

Target is one of those places where I just cannot seem to figure out my OOP before I get to the register. Oftentimes something wont scan right and only take off part of the coupon. Usually (if I catch it at the register) I just have them take off the item and get the coupon back. Then we just do it as a separate transaction and it works. If I dont catch it at the register, then I have to decide if it is worth the time at CS (usually one person working and long lines). Most of the time it isnt. So in the rare instance that something scans wrong in my favor, I usually keep quiet. I dont have an actual tally but I really think the balance is in Target's favor. But, without question, if I were in your shoes I would be heading back to Target to pay the difference...there is no way the balance is off by that much (in my situation)!

I once had a heck of a time at Kmart doing a return of merchandise. I was buying a stack of rugs and told the cashier I had X amount. When I got home I realized I had X amount plus one. Headed back to return the extra one and after two cashiers and three managers I finally got them to take the rug back and not give me any money for it. Since that was all my error, I figured I deserved the hassle. Now I am never *helpful* at the register by telling them how many I have. They have to count or scan each one!
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
Update:
I was lucky enough to have no lines at the CS, the same person I talked to on the phone last night, and the manager near by. The total amount came to $116. They gave me $7 off the transaction (not sure how they came up with that number ) so I payed $109. They were super nice and kept thanking me.
The manager seems to think that the cashier rang up my items, rang something twice, and instead of voiding one item she voided all items, then kept on ringing.
So now me and Target are square.

Last edited by Beth12891; 07-06-2011 at 01:49 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beth12891 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for the update!
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
Tine Herd has posted more than 200 great deals!Tine Herd has posted more than 200 great deals!Tine Herd has posted more than 200 great deals!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Koupon Karma will smile on you for doing the right thing.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
lilrdmandy has posted more than 200 great deals!lilrdmandy has posted more than 200 great deals!lilrdmandy has posted more than 200 great deals!
wow only 7? They should have given you like 20% off!
The Following User Says Thank You to lilrdmandy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
Josanne has posted more than 150 good deals!Josanne has posted more than 150 good deals!
Yeah. You took the trouble to return $100 worth of goods that they GAVE to you in error, making a second trip and on your own time, and they thought that was worth $7? I'd have given you a $20 gift card and sent you flowers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josanne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM

addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!addairme has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
How do you miss scanning the toys, soft scrub, hair dye, toothpaste and masking tape?

This is an example of what I think you said happened:

correct transaction
clearance toy $8.74
clearance toy $3.74
soft scrub $2.99
soft scrub $2.99
soft scrub bogo MQ $(2.99)
hair dye $5.99
hair dye MQ $(1.00)
toothpaste $2.99
toothpaste MQ $(0.75)
masking tape $1.99
other items purchase $9.99
totals $34.68

actual transaction
clearance toy
clearance toy
soft scrub
soft scrub
hair dye
hair dye MQ $(1.00)
toothpaste
toothpaste MQ $(0.75)
masking tape
total $5.25

what is now due
clearance toy $8.74
clearance toy $3.74
soft scrub $2.99
soft scrub $2.99
soft scrub bogo MQ
hair dye $5.99
hair dye MQ
toothpaste $2.99
toothpaste MQ
masking tape $1.99
totals $39.42

Last edited by addairme; 07-06-2011 at 07:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to addairme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by addairme View Post
How do you miss scanning the toys, soft scrub, hair dye, toothpaste and masking tape?

This is an example of what I think you said happened:

correct transaction
clearance toy $8.74
clearance toy $3.74
soft scrub $2.99
soft scrub $2.99
hair dye $5.99
hair dye MQ $(1.00)
toothpaste $2.99
toothpaste MQ $(0.75)
masking tape $1.99
totals $34.68

actual transaction
clearance toy
clearance toy
soft scrub
soft scrub
hair dye
hair dye MQ $(1.00)
toothpaste
toothpaste MQ $(0.75)
masking tape
total $5.25

what is now due
clearance toy $8.74
clearance toy $3.74
soft scrub $2.99
soft scrub $2.99
soft scrub bogo MQ
hair dye $5.99
hair dye MQ
toothpaste $2.99
toothpaste MQ
masking tape $1.99
totals $39.42
Something like that. From my understanding the cashier DID ring up the items, but she rang one of my items twice right in the middle of my transaction. But she hit the wrong button and voided the first half of the transaction. This was most likely when I was unloading my coupons and sorting them out so I didn't catch it.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 PM

RobAlister has posted more than 25 good deals
At the risk of sounding "immoral" I would've celebrated. But that's just me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobAlister For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 PM

monalis35023 has posted more than 150 good deals!monalis35023 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAlister
Yeah I feel horrible admitting it but I probably would've had the same reaction as you.
The Following User Says Thank You to monalis35023 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
akatty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!akatty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!akatty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!akatty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!akatty1 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I bet your gas was more than $7. I would have asked for them to at least cover that cost. No good deed shall go unpunished!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAlister View Post
To be perfectly honest, if it had just been one item I would have thought of this as Retail karma.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beth12891 For This Useful Post: