Explaining Target Receipts...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
HBMommy has posted more than 100 good deals!HBMommy has posted more than 100 good deals!
Explaining Target Receipts...

Please help me break it down! Why are they so hard to read??? I went in today and took advantage of the $5 gift card offer they have when you purchase (3) packages of select Huggies/Pampers diapers or training pants.

I purchased a lot of items today, so it's not easy for me to break it down to verify all is well. Long story short, I purchased (3) Pampers and (3) Pull ups. I received two $5 gift cards just like the promotion says but I also used coupons for each of these 6 items and this is where I'm lost.

As the cashier was scanning my q's I physically watched the coupon amount show up on the screen, but I wasn't paying attention to the total. For the Pull-ups this is what my receipt says:

----SPECIAL PROMOTION----
PULL UPS $8.99
MFR CPN $2.00-
Refund Value $7.32
PULL UPS $8.99
MFR CPN $2.00-
Refund Value $7.32
PULL UPS $8.99
MFR CPN $2.00-
Refund Value $7.32
GIFT CARDS $5.00

Package Subtotal: $31.97
Giftcard FREE $5.00-
Package Total $26.97

So if the Pull Ups were on sale at $8.99 each and I used (3) $2 MFR Coupons then that should have brought them down to $6.99 each, correct? So my Pkg sub should have been $20.97, not $26.97 like it states. I know that the Refund Value of each item listed ($7.32 is because of the $5 they gave me in gift cards).

My Pampers breakdown is the same, those were $1.50q's but everything for that promotion is listed the same amounts as the Pull Ups... it just doesn't make sense.

There are no coupons listed at the bottom of my receipt either.

Can someone please explain this to me?!
The Following User Says Thank You to HBMommy For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM

RE: Explaining Target Receipts...

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think the question is, did you actually pay the $26.97 indicated, or was the correct amount of money taken off the total?

Believe me, I think everyone hates Target's receipts...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM

lets go BLUES!
Um... I don't think I have a q for that...

My Mood/Status:
mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mgreen23 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Well the $26.97 doesn't take into account the coupons... so like pp said, it totally depends on the total of your entire bill. Just from this it looks like the coupons attached to the items though, just if you return them they won't deduct that coupons.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM

My Mood/Status:
HBMommy has posted more than 100 good deals!HBMommy has posted more than 100 good deals!
See, this is the confusion! My bill was $103, and I bought lots of groceries, etc. I guess I can go in and add it all up to see, but my total savings shows doesn't take into account the amount of coupons I presented (I keep track of the AMOUNT of money I'm using in coupons, since Target has a way of messing with ya)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 AM

My Mood/Status:
Or I suppose, I can go back in and do another transaction with just the three diaper items, three coupons and see what happens..
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM

rlkim1974 has posted more than 300 great deals!rlkim1974 has posted more than 300 great deals!rlkim1974 has posted more than 300 great deals!rlkim1974 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I have had this exact situation come up before. The whole sub total/total thing seems to just be poorly implemented FYI thing. When I actually added up all of my items and the coupons then my total was the same that I paid. I would get a piece of paper and write everything down as it should be, add it up and see if that is what you actually paid.

PS - I see now that you have LOTS of other items! Adding it up might not be possible. Well, mine was a few weeks ago but it did come out "right" if you know what I mean

Last edited by rlkim1974; 01-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
smurfgirl13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smurfgirl13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smurfgirl13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smurfgirl13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smurfgirl13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smurfgirl13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smurfgirl13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I actually kind of like Target's receipts, which I know is weird. I like that the coupon attaches to the item right under it instead of at the end (well, when they attach correctly). It helps me double check that all my coupons are on there w/o having to remember what they were all supposed to be.

Anyway, I think you're fine HBMommy- as another poster said, the $26.97 doesn't include your coupons in the package total. It's $8.99 x 3. If you were to return these and you returned all three packages AND the gift card, you should get $26.97 back (Target keeps your coupons, so they should give you full cash back... of course, doing this on purpose/regularly is NOT a good idea. not saying you would, of course, just a CYA on my part, if you will).

I (and I think others in the Target forum) would recommend splitting up your purchases if you're buying a lot and/or using a lot of coupons. It can be a pain, but it makes it easier to make sure you're getting the full discount you should. If you can, you might buy the diapers first, and then do your grocery shopping (and then you can use the GCs)-- I know it's not always possible if you have kids to go pick up (or you have them with you!), etc. I rarely do more than two transactions, but I don't think it would surprise many Target employees that you did a GC deal first and then bought your groceries. HTH!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If my post was helpful, please click the button!
----------------------------->
Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM

: )
Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
The sale price of the Pull ups were 8.99 and there is a $5 GC offer wyb 3, right? It means 1.67 value was assigned per pack coming from the "free" GC. In the event there's a problem with the item and you are returning them, you only get the 7.32 plus tax, instead of 8.99 full sale price. This makes it easier to compute how much the return value is if there were multiple items required to earn a GC. In this case 1.67 x 3 = 5.01, value of the GC earned.

Target receipts may be a little hard to decipher but it makes a lot of sense as to refund value when there is a GC offer attached to buying the items. I noticed that if you don't buy enough to earn a GC and no TQ was used, they just list the MQ but that doesn't affect the full refund value.

It matters to me how they enter MQs, that at times don't scan for whatever reasons. I don't allow them to put my MQs as store coupons. In case there is a problem with the items, the register will now read that the MQs I used as TQs, therefore, they will not give me credit for them since they are "store" Qs

ISO: Enfamil/Enfagrow homemailer checks, recently expired okay. PM to trade. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 PM

butterfly has posted more than 100 good deals!butterfly has posted more than 100 good deals!
I had the same problem with another giftcard promo and have to say it was a p.i.t.a. getting my refund of the coupons. I had to deal with to checkers at customer service to make them realize the register did not subtotal amount correctly. Looking at your receipt the $6 manuf. cpns. were not taken off properly. Your subtotal should have come to 25.97 (including the $5.00 gift card). Let us know what happens.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM

My Mood/Status:
I went and did a separate transaction today... again, a completely different price! So, I went to CS & asked them to explain to me... come to find out SOME money was taken off but not ALL of the coupon money. I truly still don't know what happened, but I took my $3.50 in cash and will (from now on) do separate transactions.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM

is thankful for AFC

My Mood/Status:
Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!Econo-shopper has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMommy View Post
I went and did a separate transaction today... again, a completely different price! So, I went to CS & asked them to explain to me... come to find out SOME money was taken off but not ALL of the coupon money. I truly still don't know what happened, but I took my $3.50 in cash and will (from now on) do separate transactions.
Whoa, are you serious? So.......the Target receipt mystery is that only some of the Q's or partial amounts are coming off. Hmmm. I thought they were resolving this sort of thing. Next time, I will be vigilant about recording all prices and coupons and making sure it comes off. I'm so glad you got your money! thanks for posting this!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 AM

Laughter116 has posted more than 1 good deal
Here's how I'm reading it...

$8.99 x 3 = $26.97 (I don't know where the $31.97 comes from)
Minus $6.00 coupons, = 20.97
Minus $5.00 GC, = 15.97

What was the total that you paid?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM

Feels like this yr is flying by

My Mood/Status:
xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!xxnellie146xx has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think Target doesn't want people to figure out their receipts!
The Following User Says Thank You to xxnellie146xx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughter116 View Post
Here's how I'm reading it...

$8.99 x 3 = $26.97 (I don't know where the $31.97 comes from)
The 31.97 comes from 26.97 + the $5 gift card, which right under they took the cost of the GC off so came back to 26.97.

They always "charge" you for the gift card (so the register can activate it) but then take the amount off the receipt so you aren't actually paying money for it.

Quote:
Minus $6.00 coupons, = 20.97
Minus $5.00 GC, = 15.97

What was the total that you paid?
The $5 gift card would be coming off twice in your total so that is incorrect. They already took it off once (the 31.97 - 5).

Last edited by savcoupon; 02-03-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
kayleen_longworth has posted more than 25 good deals
I hate Target receipts too. I went last night, and only two or three of the 15+ q's attached to the items I was buying. The rest were just listed down below everything before the subtotal. Makes it really hard to see if prices were entered correctly or not when the cashier has to push other buttons to make them go through.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM

My Mood/Status:
kayleen_longworth has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnellie146xx View Post
I think Target doesn't want people to figure out their receipts!
I agree!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 AM

But if they "charge" you for it, and only take it off once... Then you're not actually getting anything off your bill.
I don't see that the OP had taken a gift card home with her? I thought she paid by using one.
If she did take a GC home, then it should be $20.97 like she said. And she has a gift card to use. Am I missing something here?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Does that read as testy? It's not meant to be, I'm really just trying to figure this all out!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
But if they "charge" you for it, and only take it off once... Then you're not actually getting anything off your bill.
I don't see that the OP had taken a gift card home with her? I thought she paid by using one.
If she did take a GC home, then it should be $20.97 like she said. And she has a gift card to use. Am I missing something here?
You can't use the gift card you earned from the deal on the same transaction, it has to be used on a future transaction.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM

OK, that makes sense. So long story short, she overpaid by $6. The amount of the coupons.