Fixing Up The House...

Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Fixing up the house...

So, we bought a fixer upper, and are on a tight budget. I was wondering if anyone have any ideas on how to do it? Perhaps stores that repurpose items? Or sell items with slight defects... I am at a loss as to what these stores are called to be honest. My alien-side is poking through I guess.

Does Lowes, Home Depot, Menards or any other store have something I've missed?

We're looking to (eventually) replace all interior doors, some, if not all windows, new flooring, and so forth.

(and could not decide wether to put it here or frugal living )

Wife, mother, organizer, chef.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM

RE: Fixing up the house...

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
if you have a PO nearby, they have Lowe's moving packets that contain 10% off Lowe's purchase up to $5000 x10/15 there's also other Lowe's discount cards if you have Discover cards. we got $10 off $50 and $25 off $250 purchase. All these discounts stack up to huge amounts if you have a big project.

discounts up to $500 can pay for the sales tax, if you have to pay sales tax in your area.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!
You might look at online auctions, not eBay. Try to find those site where cities and government entities get rid of their old equipment, etc. I was looking on a site a couple of weeks ago, here in TX and one city was selling a bunch of wood. I opened the page with the auction details and it was enough hardwood flooring to re-do floors in a moderately sized home. I think bidding was all they way up to $100.00. The bad thing - you have to drive to these locations and haul it off. I bought a great treadmill, big one like the gyms have for $20 and a piano for $35. If you have the time to look (not an emergency repair), you can find some great deals.

You might also check with some local realtors if they know of any homes that are going to be demolished. A lot of those around here really don't need to be torn down, someone just has other plans for the property and wants to get rid of the house fast. They usually let people take what they need before it'd demolished - most of the time totally free.

Good luck with your renovations!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM

HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!
On Craigslist a lot of people/contractors have things left over from their projects and give for free or really cheap. I got paint I love for $10 5 gallon drums, I got 3, love it, more than I need, but wasn't sure...fantastic buy. People get the wrong color etc....Also post on freecycle. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to HaleyK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 PM

HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!HaleyK has posted more than 400 great deals!
Also bought some flooring on Craigslist....
The Following User Says Thank You to HaleyK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!LilBlossom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrandi View Post
You might look at online auctions, not eBay. Try to find those site where cities and government entities get rid of their old equipment, etc. I was looking on a site a couple of weeks ago, here in TX and one city was selling a bunch of wood. I opened the page with the auction details and it was enough hardwood flooring to re-do floors in a moderately sized home. I think bidding was all they way up to $100.00. The bad thing - you have to drive to these locations and haul it off. I bought a great treadmill, big one like the gyms have for $20 and a piano for $35. If you have the time to look (not an emergency repair), you can find some great deals.

You might also check with some local realtors if they know of any homes that are going to be demolished. A lot of those around here really don't need to be torn down, someone just has other plans for the property and wants to get rid of the house fast. They usually let people take what they need before it'd demolished - most of the time totally free.

Good luck with your renovations!
What would you call those online auction sites? I'm the google queen in the household, but I sometimes flake out with my English...

Wife, mother, organizer, chef.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

My Mood/Status:
foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
GDA

Check out Habitat for Humanities' site for their ReStore shop. This is where builders, decorating centers, people, etc. from all across the country donate new and "gently used" building products, home decor items, plumbing, etc. for resell and at deep discounts. There are locations all across the USA.

We brought granite countertops recently for a project at our farm.

Web site is below--

Habitat for Humanity Int'l (Habitat's site/info. Click on the ReStore tab/link).

Hope this helps.

Foodie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foodie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

: )

My Mood/Status:
blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!blueflowers has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Check out this link:

http://www.habitatstoreonline.com/
and this one
Environmental Initiative: Habitat ReStores -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

It is for ReStore which is a part of Habitat for Humanity. I've heard they have reasonable prices. They take donated building supplies and resell them to provide funding for their charitable building projects.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
duranik has posted more than 150 good deals!duranik has posted more than 150 good deals!
If you do a Google search for salvage stores in your area, you might come up with something. There are people that gut buildings before they are torn down and salvage anything sellable. You can get some unique things there.
The Following User Says Thank You to duranik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 PM

flaminmom has posted more than 400 great deals!flaminmom has posted more than 400 great deals!flaminmom has posted more than 400 great deals!flaminmom has posted more than 400 great deals!flaminmom has posted more than 400 great deals!
My sister and her husband shop for damaged items at lowes and home depot that are really discounted. For example, they bought a $400 bath vanity that had been damaged on the backside . It was just pressed wood in that area so they replaced it. They only paid $40 for it so they got it for a steal
The Following User Says Thank You to flaminmom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!Minky1011 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Craigslist, Habitat for Humanity stores (if your area has them), Thrift Stores and Clearance at Home Depot or Lowes. We did our basement on a very tight budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minky1011 For This Useful Post: