How Can You Tell A Good Meat Deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:39 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Coupon Prince

My Mood/Status:
themaineevent has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!themaineevent has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!themaineevent has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!themaineevent has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!themaineevent has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!themaineevent has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!themaineevent has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
How can you tell a good meat deal?

I was just wondering, since theyre hardly ever coupons for meat, how can you tell what is a good deal on meat products? I always go to meat and seafood and get confused on wether I should get meat thats packaged or order it from the meat counter next to it. I live by myself but I love to have meat for dinner. I shop at Kroger alot and they always have so and so meat say so and so a pound and I can never tell if its a good deal. Or should I just wait until they have markdowns?

Same thing with the deli, is it cheaper to buy the deli cheese and meat or buy the packaged one?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to themaineevent For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 AM

RE: How can you tell a good meat deal?

My Mood/Status:
kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!kimbra923 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I usually get my meat at kroger also and I always look for the managers specials...for my store, they usually mark them down mid-morning. I never know what exact $/pound is good for meat but I know I'm saving a little when I do this instead of buying at full price!

I usually get pre-packaged lunchmeat because there are more coupons out there for it then for deli meat and when paired with a sale, I usually get it cheaper. And again, even better if on manager's special but I only get it if I know I can use it within a couple days!

HTH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimbra923 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 AM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Even if WM ad matches meat prices, I still choose to buy meat at a small family owned grocery store. The best deal I found is getting to know the butcher. He can mark down prices up to 50% off or more depending on sale by X date and he also makes small packages for me if I have $2 meat winetags that I can use for each package. I got to know him through his wife, who I gave coupons previously, not knowing her DH is the store's butcher. Win-win for both of us, she learned how to coupon from me and I am getting meat deals with or without coupons. Every now and then, I also share meat rebate forms with her and made her even more grateful. The store wins because I don't ad match their meat prices and buy meat ONLY from them.

I suggest making friends with the butcher. You may be surprised if they agree to mark down prices of packages that have to be sold that day. Worse thing they can say is NO, but its worth asking.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 07:25 AM

My Mood/Status:
mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mommy1224 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
i do markdown mostly.... unless there is a sale.... now 2 years ago i would have never dreamed of buying markdowns...until one of my friends pointed out that they are not always on the verge of going bad right then and there
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Matt Kenseth - my new favorite driver!
Join the Welcome Wagon!

My Mood/Status:
DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I go back and forth regarding the deli vs. shelf meat for sandwiches. For me, I will only eat, say one turkey sandwich a week. If I buy the packaged meat, I usually end up throwing some away because I don't get to it in time and/or forget to freeze what I don't use that day. For me, in the long run, I save money by only purchasing 1/3 pound of meat from the deli (obviously I prefer to buy the deli meat special of the week since it is cheaper).

As for other types of meat, it varies so much especially with all the different types of cuts out there. I usually only buy what is on sale that week or like others, dicounted/markdown. We have so much of our own meat though through hunting and cousins being pig farmers, that I don't buy very much from the store to really know what is the "going" price.
and to be considered for the Buddy and/or Welcome Wagon Team!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DebB831 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 AM

WAR EAGLE!!!!
So many coupons....so little time

My Mood/Status:
mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mrshorn1975 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Like the posts above, I too buy markdown meats. I usually shop at Schnucks b/c they mark the meat down to 50-75% off. What's funny is the sticker says 25% but if you really do the math between the original price and the markdown it's usually 50-75% off. Yesterday I got 2-4lb packages of Boneless skinless chicken for $4 ea (reg. $9.80 - sticker said 25% off.....NOT!!!), 2-3.5LB packages of 80% lean ground beef for $3.xx, 1 package of round steaks (9 steaks total) for $3.xx, 1 package of chicken thighs for $1.80 and my total was around $24 with tax (I think, don't hold me to that exactly). I also shop Kroger but by the time I get there someone else has bought all the markdown meat, I'm competing with a couple of other couponers in the area (we are all friends, I'm just picking on them!!!) I did run into a young lady who goes in half with her friend and they buy a cow and have it slaughtered. I forgot how much it cost her but she said that 1/2 of a cow would last her family of 3 almost 8 months or more if they ate at home every night. This is just a thought since you said you loved meat for dinner!!!
HTH!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
My Kroger has mgrs. specials on beef every Friday. I buy family packs of meat, divide
into servings, wrap, and freeze in Ziplock or Hefty freezer bags.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cathyw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I buy at prices that I like.

Beef- I try not to spend more than $1 per pound of meat. I usually stock up when I can get great deals at Super Target with coupons and sales.

Chicken- I'm pretty happy when I can get boneless skinless breasts for around $2 per pound. Whole chickens I buy at around $1 per pound.

Pork- Around $2 per pound in regular grocery stores- though I have discovered that you can get a huge pork loin at Sam's Club or Costco for ~$1.87 per pound!

Like everybody else said- buy markdowns, manager's specials, etc. As long as you cook it or freeze it within 24-72 hours of purchase you are good to go.

As far as lunch meat/cheese- whatever works best for you. I buy packaged lunch meat and deli cheese because it is the best value for what I use.
I was an "extreme couponer" before that phrase existed on TV. I just called myself the the crazy coupon lady! I got out of the game for a few years because I was working too much, but I got to live off of my stockpile (still haven't bought toiletries). Now I'm unemployed and trying to get back in the game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katt42saves For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 AM

ride_on has posted more than 400 great deals!ride_on has posted more than 400 great deals!ride_on has posted more than 400 great deals!ride_on has posted more than 400 great deals!ride_on has posted more than 400 great deals!
Best way to "know" if its a good deal, is start keeping a price book on the cuts you prefer to eat, and look at all the store ads, even if you don't shop there. Within only 2-3 weeks, between the various stores, you quickly find out what's a good "sale" price for various types.

I have found that the markdowned meat is not always as good a deal as the specials. Its better than "full" price, but usually not as good as the loss leader price....but I look anyway, since sometimes it is better!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ride_on For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 AM

My Mood/Status:
Noel123 has posted more than 50 good deals
I buy deli meat when I have a coupon or it's on sale, then divide it into servings, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Freezes well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noel123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2010, 05:41 AM

leidig32 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leidig32 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leidig32 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leidig32 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leidig32 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!leidig32 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I don't mess around with the meat. I go to the local butcher shop. If I buy 5 lbs of burger I get 50 cents of per pound. I get the 95 lean so it is already expensive but if you cook with the 95 lean then go to the 73 lean you would never eat the cheap stuff again! Same with steaks, I like the tenderloin...once again very expensive. The less expensive stuff is way too fattie...I have to say when the tenderloin is on sale I do stock up.
Lunch meat I buy what I have a coupon for unless there is a cheaper sale on another product.
I'm sure I was not much help
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leidig32 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 AM

Trying to figure it out... :)

My Mood/Status:
kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!kate2348 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Also, getting overage from coupons that are higher value than the price of the item can help you bring your meat cost down. Meat is pretty much the only thing I buy with overage. For instance, cans of tomatoes are on sale for 5 for $4 = 80 cents each. I have two coupons for $1 off can of tomatoes. I now have 40 cents overage that I have to use so I buy meat which gives me 40 cents off the meat. This also works really well with the dented boxes of food you sometimes see on Manager's Special. For instance, a Macaroni Grill box was fairly demolished but contents inside were fine. It was 50 cents, but I had a $1 off Q = 50 cents of overage!

It's not a lot, but if you shop wisely, actively search out overage coupons and pair it with mgr's special meat, you can do pretty well.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
btw, for those with Tyson plants in their state, if you get to know plant employees, check with them if they can avail of super cheap Tyson "rejects". In our area, they can avail of chicken legs/thighs fryers @ 10 lb boxes for $2; chicken breast 10 lbs for $5. Nothing wrong with them except for not being right size/wrong cut/whatever and these are sold only to employees. I met one who can't store them in her freezer anymore so she offered them to me at cost in exchange for stockpile shampoo/cond/mouthwash/razors. That is a great barter to me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 PM

The Holidays??? Oh no!

My Mood/Status:
lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmamabear View Post
btw, for those with Tyson plants in their state, if you get to know plant employees, check with them if they can avail of super cheap Tyson "rejects". In our area, they can avail of chicken legs/thighs fryers @ 10 lb boxes for $2; chicken breast 10 lbs for $5. Nothing wrong with them except for not being right size/wrong cut/whatever and these are sold only to employees. I met one who can't store them in her freezer anymore so she offered them to me at cost in exchange for stockpile shampoo/cond/mouthwash/razors. That is a great barter to me
What an awesome idea. No meat or poultry plants here but I'll keep that concept in mind. I guess it might work with any food plant. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 PM

living on my stockpile and buying the rest at...

My Mood/Status:
freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I have access to Costco and I am finding that they have great quality and prices. I use their price as my price to beat on the meat we buy. I don't have a complete price book yet, but this is my new money saving mission. I have been stalking the markdowns at Kroger and Tom Thumb and have been able to beat Costco, but not by much. I am still not good at it yet. I have a Foodsaver and a deep freeze, so I get it packaged up as soon as I get home. I have also resolved to write the price per pound on the package to help me remember what I paid.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM

living on my stockpile and buying the rest at...

My Mood/Status:
freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!freegroceries4me has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Forgot to add- I have been looking for verything I can on this subject and I stumbled on a company called Restaurant Depot. They only sell to people with a business license and they sell at wholesale prices. From what I can tell, their pricing is same or better than costco. I don't have any type of business license, so I haven't checked it out. But you have to buy in bulk.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!priscillamylove has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I like to get a lot of my meat at Super Target & use the coupons that they put on the meat (typically meat that needs to be used/frozen within the next day or two).
I also use overage, as mentioned above, to bring now my meat costs.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 AM

My Mood/Status:
michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I try not to spend more than $1/# for chicken, $1.50/# for pork/beef...I buy lunch meat already packaged so I can use qs to make it cheaper than deli lunch meat...HTH!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
before I forget, those who live in states where meat, poultry, seafood rebates are valid without purchasing wine/beer,

make sure to look for rebate forms in other states if you don't have them in your state. Tons of beer/wine rebates for meat are available, ya'll just have to find them. Some states require purchase of wine/beer while there are many that don't.

just for submitting rebates, you will soon realize how much $$ comes back to you in a year.