Trial Size Vs Travel Size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Question Trial size vs Travel size

Would you say that the travel size items are the same as trial size?

Last night at Target I purchased 1 single bar of Olay soap labeled "travel size" for .97. I used the $1 off any one Olay body wash, or bar Q from the P&G insert. The Q stated "excludes trial size). The register said "item not found" and the cashier just pushed it through--no question.

I am a pretty honest person and started having coupon guilt.

What are your thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kolowicz For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM

RE: Trial size vs Travel size

Yay for spring!
Full price? What's that??

My Mood/Status:
courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Hmmm to me, they're the same thing, but in some stores, there's a trial size section and a travel size section. I wouldn't worry about it this time, but I personally don't use Qs that exclude trial sizes on travel. They're usually the exact same size as trial. JMO though!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to courtne21 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM

ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
For all intents and purposes, I think the "travel" and "trial" are interchangeable in megastores like Target or WM. Technically you're not purchasing a "trial" size, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it really makes you feel bad, in the future just save your Qs for deals on the full size items. I personally only buy trial/travel size when there are absolutely no exclusions and if I can't use the Q on anything else. I live in a shared apartment so there's limited space for my stuff
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashleyl310 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
This has been a big debate forever. I also don't use the coupons in the travel size. But, I know it's been said that a "trial size" is just a few and a "travel size" is something small but larger than trial, made for packing, etc.

This make sense in some ways. The bar of soap the OP is talking about is a pretty good size. I think the small soaps like in hotels to be more of a trial size.

Colgate has two sizes of toothpaste that are in the travel section. One is very small and one is about medium in size. So is one "trial size" and one "travel size"? Don't know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcrobertsd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Yay for spring!

My Mood/Status:
courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!courtne21 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
mcrobertsd brings up a good point about travel sizes being made for packing- with new flying rules and sizes, travel size could be very different from trial size. I think it's dependent on the product and your own discretion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 PM

wants to go to target
Thank you Captain Obvious!

My Mood/Status:
tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I had a difficult time with this when I first started couponing. Target had clearanced their travel sized aquafresh to $1.25 and I had a $1 TQ and a $1 MFQ which gave pretty good overage. They both excluded trial size. I looked in the trial section and saw the itty bitty toothpastes they considered trial and compared it to the travel. The travel size was only like 1 oz smaller than the huge regular aquafresh. The Q's didn't beep or anything but I did start to feel guilty. I then talked to the manager and she said that the coupons were valid for this item. Maybe try talking to your store manager?
Daisy 7/14/10
and one
in heaven 12/14/07-12/18-07
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tinkadink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Yay for spring!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkadink View Post
I had a difficult time with this when I first started couponing. Target had clearanced their travel sized aquafresh to $1.25 and I had a $1 TQ and a $1 MFQ which gave pretty good overage. They both excluded trial size. I looked in the trial section and saw the itty bitty toothpastes they considered trial and compared it to the travel. The travel size was only like 1 oz smaller than the huge regular aquafresh. The Q's didn't beep or anything but I did start to feel guilty. I then talked to the manager and she said that the coupons were valid for this item. Maybe try talking to your store manager?
Good point. And BTW, your new picture is soooooooooooooooo good- what a cutie!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM

wants to go to target
Thank you Captain Obvious!

My Mood/Status:
tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tinkadink has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtne21 View Post
Good point. And BTW, your new picture is soooooooooooooooo good- what a cutie!!!!!!
Thanks! He just seemed so photogenic lately I couldn't help myself
Daisy 7/14/10
and one
in heaven 12/14/07-12/18-07
Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 PM

ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ashleyl310 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Yeah, these are all great points. I think this one really depends on how you feel about it. If you can get a decent deal, that's awesome, you might as well try, but at the same time I'm not sure if I'd put the effort into arguing the travel vs. trial size if a cashier was giving me a really hard time about it. Any thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to ashleyl310 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Yay for spring!

My Mood/Status:
Definitely agree- it is NOT worth arguing with a cashier or manager, especially if it's a store you shop at often. Flying under the radar seems to be the best strategy for us couponers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to courtne21 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM

is thankful for holidays that bring family home

My Mood/Status:
brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think trial and travel size are 2 different things, but this is really an issue of how the coupon is coded by the manufacturer

if they are coded the same by mfg and differently than the full size product, it will beep and you may have argument with cashier
-
- - Brook6 - -
-
-
- -

> - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - >
-
Old 02-25-2010, 02:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kolowicz has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
My first thought was they were different and went ahead and got it. If the cashier said something, I wouldn't have argued. The thought just popped into my head when I saw the screen with the item not found warning-- which we get so often.

I agree on "flying under the radar" is a good practice.

thanks for everyone's input
Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 PM

luckiest_dw has posted more than 400 great deals!luckiest_dw has posted more than 400 great deals!luckiest_dw has posted more than 400 great deals!luckiest_dw has posted more than 400 great deals!luckiest_dw has posted more than 400 great deals!
FWIW~The 'item not found' warning pops up all the time for me at Target even when I'm clearly buying the product listed on the coupon.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
godiva99 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!godiva99 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!godiva99 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!godiva99 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!godiva99 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!godiva99 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!godiva99 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I personally don't use a Q with exclusions in the travel/trial size area. However, if it's somewhere else and just an individual item or smaller version, I would try. The only time I've done this was with the Gillette Q for $3 deo. They had the .5 on sale for $1.99 and it was with the other deods and in a box, so I didn't think this was considered either one. No problems getting them.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Loves A Great Deal!

My Mood/Status:
Slegos has posted more than 400 great deals!Slegos has posted more than 400 great deals!Slegos has posted more than 400 great deals!Slegos has posted more than 400 great deals!Slegos has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brook6 View Post
I think trial and travel size are 2 different things, but this is really an issue of how the coupon is coded by the manufacturer

if they are coded the same by mfg and differently than the full size product, it will beep and you may have argument with cashier

i agree, i believe they are two different things. The words trial and travel have 2 different meanings. It's the perception/interpretation of the cashier that will make a difference. Just use your best judgment, sounds like you already are. I love to hear about honest shoppers, it's the few not so honest that make it hard for the masses to use q's.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 AM

My Mood/Status:
mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mcrobertsd has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I had a $1/1 off of Renu Contact Solution. In the travel section, there is one for $1.49. On the box it says "bottle fits airline regulations" or something to that effect. Anyways, I bought it. The coupon stated not to be used on trial size. To ME, since the box was making a point of stating this bottle could be brought on an airplane, this was "travel size". The coupon DID beep (as alot of coupons do, regardless of what they say), but I didn't feel guilty about using it. JMO
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM

trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Funny you posted this - because I had about 4 of these in my cart the other day, ready to purchase. Nowhere on the soap did it say Trial Size (or Travel Size, either, as I recall)- but it was in the Travel section. I took the soap over to where the regular packs of the Olay soap were and noticed this size was slightly smaller than a regular bar (I thought these were full size bars). They were 3.xx oz vs 4.xx oz. So that gave me pause and I decided these may have been intended to be more like a Trial Size-- so I didn't purchase them. I wasn't certain and am also a "fly under the radar" kinda' gal- so didn't want potential problems. BUT- I didn't think about Trial vs Travel-- interesting thought. It DOES seem the Travel sizes are bigger than the Trial.

Anyway-- I don't think you did anything wrong- we all have these thoughts! We want to get the best deal we can legitimately!!!! So- even if what you did WAS wrong (and I'm not saying it was)- it was completely inadvertant. I wouldn't dwell on it- but if you didn't feel "good" about it, then you know not to do it again. I think it's sort of a gray area- but I'm willing to bet Target has no trouble getting reimbursed... it's whether or not you feel it was the intended use by the mfr!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 PM

My Mood/Status:
You are right that the bars of soap not being labeled whether it is a "trial" or "travel" size. I only figured out it was travel because the shelf tag said so.

I guess I need to decide if I'm going to try it again. I have about 4 more of these coupons that will expire on 2/28. This does make for Free Soap.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 AM

w00pidyd00 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!w00pidyd00 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!w00pidyd00 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!w00pidyd00 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!w00pidyd00 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!w00pidyd00 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I don't see anything wrong with using the coupon for travel sized items. Generally, travel sized items are bigger than trial sized, so I think that makes it okay.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:27 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well I think if its a full sized bar of soap.. game on.

I'm not terribly sure of the difference between trial and travel, unless its clearly marked for travel or trial.

Here everything is in a section about __ big with no labels. I steer clear of it most of the time.

The one exception-- those tissue pocket packs. I can't tell you how many arguments I have had with people (not store workers or anything) over the fact that these are NOT trial sized! They are made to fit in your pocket, specifically with that intent by the manu.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2010, 07:06 AM

aei050609 has posted more than 75 good deals!
The coupon from the 2/14 redplum is pretty much the same thing except it only excludes the 30 ml size(lotion). I have not used the one that expires today on them but I guess that is just my personal take on the coupon. And between decembers olay q and the one 2 weeks ago i have 50+ bars so i am not really in need
Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
Well, after all the input from my lovely AFC friends, I went back to a different Target with my remaining coupons for the olay soap. I purchased a few other items as well. The cashier took a double look at the coupon and soap and said I couldn't use it because it excluded "trial" size. Since on the register it printed as travel, I asked "It says "Travel". Is it the same thing as Trial size?" She pulled a mgr over and asked her. "Yes, it's the same" she says. Cashier says "do you still want them". "No Thank-you", I reply and take my coupons back.

Not going to argue the point. Guess it is still a grey area. I 'll just wait for the next FREE bar of soap which is probably right around the corner.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:57 PM

trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!trudibeth77 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolowicz View Post
Not going to argue the point. Guess it is still a grey area. I 'll just wait for the next FREE bar of soap which is probably right around the corner.
EXACTLY! Who wants their picture in the break room for the cashiers to throw darts at?!?!? I always joke with cashiers (as I'm handing over a stack of q's) that I KNOW they have my pic in the back.... LOL

But seriously-- it's not worth the drama/ argument over a stinkin' bar of soap. There will be plenty more good deals!!! I think you did the right thing! That's the reason I haven't even tried it-- I felt it was a "gray" enough area that I wanted to avoid the potential hassle. Not that anyone's wrong for using it-- but someone else put it best when she said it's best to "fly under the radar"!!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aei050609 View Post
The coupon from the 2/14 redplum is pretty much the same thing except it only excludes the 30 ml size(lotion). I have not used the one that expires today on them but I guess that is just my personal take on the coupon. And between decembers olay q and the one 2 weeks ago i have 50+ bars so i am not really in need
Whoa-- where'd you get the 50 bars? I just stocked dh up on Dove Men+ Care at Target (like 100 bars!), but haven't seen any super awesome deals for me. Apparently I missed something with the Olay!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM

is reorganizing her stockpile room to make room for more!

My Mood/Status:
DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DakotaMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I believe that Trial means 1-4 uses, so a trial (like those packets of face cream you get in the avon catalogs). Travel is a week or better...meaning travel is bigger.