How Long After Expiration Date On Unopened Medicine Is Good For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Kchil1223 has posted more than 300 great deals!Kchil1223 has posted more than 300 great deals!Kchil1223 has posted more than 300 great deals!Kchil1223 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Question how long after expiration date on unopened medicine is good for

i have some unopened nyquil expiring 4/10...how long will this keep...or for that matter any off the shelf medicines...thanks in advance...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kchil1223 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM

RE: how long after expiration date on unopened medicine is good for

Finally some warmer weather!
Cub Foods & Coborn's Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have used stuff a few months past date. It kind of depends on what it is too. I don't believe a Tylenol automatically goes bad the day after the expiration date on the container. I do believe that it looses its power over time, so I am sure they have it set ahead of the time when that would really happen to the medicine. I guess for me a rule of thumb is a few months, if it is just OTC and you are using it to take away pain, etc. not something that you have to take for a reason. JMO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DebB831 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM

keep on smyelin!

My Mood/Status:
bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Deb is exactly right. It loses effectiveness after the date, it doesn't go bad. We have used it for a good 6 months after the date and it still works just fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bette For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM

life in the fast lane...

My Mood/Status:
lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lizajanesteele has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Google this...but I just read an article that the FDA did a study for the military that extends shelf life out on most things by 15 years if unopened! It's all marketing folks!!! I read articles in 3 diff places! You can DEFINITELY use it more than a year or 2 after for cold meds...even the manufacturers said that they just can't keep testing beyond that b/c it's not cost effective for them. Well the FDA did and DOES keep doing it for the military to save them $$ and to keep them from having to throw out billions of $$ in prescription and OTC drugs. (I was personally looking to see if I could take some expired antibiotics...and this is what I found.)

This was also confirmed by the Johns Hopkins Website (well part of it anyway) b/c of the same study they've now extended the expiration dates for Cipro, penicillin, and some other drugs by a few years. HTH

-------------

The same thing goes for almost all meds...I'm not saying all meds have an extension of 15years...I'm saying we can take them a LOT longer than the expiration date!! You should google the FDA/military study and check it out.
, WAY over-scheduled!
~~~~~

Mom to sweet & sassy 6 yo DD
, 8 yo DS
, 9 1/2 yo DS
, 10 1/2 yo DS
, & married to hardworking DH who wants us to
enough so he can have a break from
and get his license to
!

Last edited by lizajanesteele; 08-02-2010 at 02:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizajanesteele For This Useful Post: