Is Anyone Else Having Problems With Coupon Printer + Viruses?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM

RE: Is anyone else having problems with coupon printer + viruses?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!Crittlelee has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbuoy View Post
Thanks everyone,
I am so sorry to hear that a lot of you are having problems, too!
My computer person did the he ran filehippo, did the CCleaner.
I used to have Ad-ware, SpyBot,
CleanUp and
Malwarebytes installed but this last time he took all this out and downloaded (free download) ADVANCED SYSTEMCARE. He mentioned this is a new and better download.
This seemed to take the place of all of the above (besides AVG).
Various computer techs have told me that Norton adds to problems, not helps, that AVG is better (and it's free).

Another tidbit he told me that makes a lot of sense is to NEVER have your computer "remember" your passwords. Put them in every time manually.
There is software out there now that a savvy (and bad)computer person can hack into your computer remotely, grab your IP address and literally rip off all your passwords!:eek 2:
Darn, all we want are a few coupons!!Sheesh!
Hang in there!
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this...I personally never save my passwords, just for my sake, so I don't end up forgetting them after a bit of time, In fear that someday I'll clear them and have no idea what my login is.

However, as far as hacking into your computer and stealing your passwords, in most cases you would literally have to download the software to allow them in, Or have them sitting right at your computer. A person having your IP address doesn't really mean anything, You can find anyones IP address just by looking at email. I just wanted to reply to this so you aren't so scared of it

I've always been a firm believer of using AVAST, They have free downloads and trials, I just re download every few months, though I think there is a full fee edition somewhere.

Now, As for my boyfriend, who is some form of a computer genius with many degrees, he always tells me to use AVG if I'm going to use anything. Hes the type that doesn't use anything on his computer because he knows how to monitor it himself, and fix anything that could come up.

I've always used Internet explorer, but a lot of the time even that can be a problem, Admittedly, I've infected his computer a couple of times, and not even realized how, because I never clicked anything bad, and never downloaded anything. He suggests to everyone that you use mozilla firefox, with an ad block feature. This browser is a lot safer than the others out there. Feel free to save your passwords, and run scans every few days or so, and you should be fine. Never download anything that pops up if you're not sure what it is.

I hope that helped a couple of people. =)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crittlelee For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 PM

The Holidays??? Oh no!

My Mood/Status:
lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lallyy has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've found lately that some of the sites I print from ask me to download the coupon printer where other sites have no problem printing qs for me. Is it the Coupon Printer for Windows? There must be two kind of printing programs. When it asks me to download the printer and I attempt to, it just takes me back to the same page telling me to download it. I just put Trend Micro on my computer and I'm wondering if it's blocking it and if so why not the other one. I can't print any of the ones from SmartSource. Anyway, I love my Trend Micro. My DH and my DS are both computer wizzes and both use it on their computers. Now I use it. Much better than McAfee or some of the others I use. Mine scans and repairs daily.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
"I've had this problem twice.Recently I have been installing the printer when needed,and then unistall it when I'm done.So far so good. "

So, is this going to work, install, print coupons, then uninstall right away? (I am so missing my coupon printer but figure getting the tech in is more money spent than the Q savings).
If anyone can answer this question, I would be forever grateful!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to glowbuoy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM

May you believe in the Risen Christ as Saviour
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Specifically WHAT coupon printer are you all speaking of. coupons.com, smartsource.com, redplum.com, and the FLIP printer are different because you have to download a different one for each source. Is there a coupon printing "printer" that is specifically bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
We love Him because He first loved us. I John 4:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Who among us would ask our children for a loan,
so we could spend money we do not have, on things we do not need?" Gov. Jindal
Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!glowbuoy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
The coupon printer is:
couponprinter exe, which is a binary file and is from
http://download1.coupons.com
Let's say you click on a link for $1.00 off Scalpion. First it says"YOUR COUPONS ARE READY", next you install the coupon printer and then you get your coupons along with (for some of us anyway) some viruses.
Hope that helps?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!
I scanned my computer this morning(with the free stopzilla download trial) and it said I have Search Hijacker.H (does anyone know *** this is? apparently its cutting off my searched even to find out what it is. is "all" it does just screw up my searching?

also it came back with the coupons.com stuff, it looked like the files associated with it(as in couponprinter.exe and the 5 or so registry files it creates which are how it keeps track of what you have printed..................................) i dont really know what to think about the coupon printer, imo they are saying it is spyware because it logs what you have printed(to limit you) i guess hopefully thats all they are logging..?? stopzilla also showed me some cookies which seemed harmless to me, but I dont remember if it labeled them viruses or not.

Last edited by carisal; 01-22-2010 at 06:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carisal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM

crecian has posted more than 50 good deals
it is considered malware

A Search Hijacker is a software application that takes control of your browser's default search engine. The search results may not necessarily be the best fit as those usually come from paid advertisements, as issued to you by the Hijacker authors. Search hijackers prevent you from changing your browser's default search engine, and they tend to slow down PC performance.

and it is apparently hard to remove because it reinstalls itself with each start up...at least that is what I just read online.
The Following User Says Thank You to crecian For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!carisal has posted more than 300 great deals!
well I couldnt delete it with the trial of stopzilla(have to buy it for I think 29.99?) and I downloaded the free AVG which is supposed to be a fully open trial - AVG found nothing at all.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 AM

~FORGIVENESS~
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
My brother is a data security analyst. He fixed my computer recently (last week ) because of a terrible virus that basically wiped out the darn thing. Anyway, I now have AVG the free version and i also use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. I USED to have McAfee and use microsoft explorer as my browser. Honestly, in the 10 years i had this computer I never got a virus. Within the last 3 months i got 3 and as i said....the last one wiped out my computer. I lost alot of stuff. Oh....did i mention that i started using the coupon printer back in November. What a coincidence. Now i just ask my friends and family that print them out to give me their extras.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to busylizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbuoy View Post
"I've had this problem twice.Recently I have been installing the printer when needed,and then unistall it when I'm done.So far so good. "

So, is this going to work, install, print coupons, then uninstall right away? (I am so missing my coupon printer but figure getting the tech in is more money spent than the Q savings).
If anyone can answer this question, I would be forever grateful!!!!
uninstall for the coupons.exe does not uninstall everything. it leaves several registry keys on the computer. they are pretty well hidden. I don't know if deleting those would mess anything else up, KWIM? like I said, stopzilla found them and flagged them as a risk....

does anyone know how to manually remove the " search hijacker.h " stuff? (there should be a way but like I said because of it my searches are not returning anything useful) or know of a freebie download that will remove it? I really don't have money to spend on any of this stuff right now, especially if it isnt going to do anything about it... I'm pretty annoyed right now that AVG didn't even see it.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!GrannyGodley has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I recently had a terrible virus/malware get in my computer and had to go to Geek Squad for cleanup. The virus parked my McAfee and I couldn't do anything. They didn't give me a clue as to how to prevent it other than frequent scans and keeping my updates current on browsers and protection. Cost: $200 less a AAA 20% discount - so I paid $160 to clean it up.

I really don't think it was coupon.com that did it as I have used it for quite awhile. I think I must have clicked an ad or something that opened a door to let the boogy-man in. Who knows? I know I can't afford this type of cash-flow problem, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrannyGodley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
happypat35 has posted more than 200 great deals!happypat35 has posted more than 200 great deals!happypat35 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Train3

Quote:
Originally Posted by One800mom View Post
Spybot Search and Destroy is free, and recommended by my 'computer guy' brother. Some viruses will disable any virus software you have. That happened to me a couple weeks ago. I also have McAfee, it's just ok.
I ran spybot and it detected that the coupon printer had viruses-nine. I removed the coupon printer, got rid of comodo and added avg and reloaded the coupon printer again-so far, no problems. I had this same problem before about two years ago.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM

mastre has posted more than 25 good deals
So I typed in the search for ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE and I have a few choices. Do you think it matters or as long as it is the advnced system care it is ok?
One of them said ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE FREE/WINDOWSXP/VISTA/7 or ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE Registry Pro.
Sorry I am scared I will pick the wrong one to download.
Thanks to any one who has advice on which one is the right one!
Karla
Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM

I had to take my computer to some one to fix and that was about 3 months ago. He said that all he wanted me to keep updated was the newest AVG. So I have been trying to do that. Also it cost me 160.00 to get him to remove what ever he removed. I love saving money with all these coupons but it will not do much good if a few times a year we have to take it in and spend that much to fix the problem!!
Also I wish I had a boyfriend or hubby that was savvy with these problems !
Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Ok I downloaded the AVG 9.0 free download and I get it all done and it tells me I need a newer download! What does that mean? I feel like I just went around in a circle for the last hour or so!
Does anyone know why it would say that?
Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
Mastre, that's weird. I recently upgraded AVG 8.5 to 9. I think 9 is the newest, maybe turn your computer off and then restart...
Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Thank you! I will try that tomorrow. Maybe if I go to sleep and quit messing with it it will fix itself by morning!!! I will down load what you sent me glowbuoy. I really appreciate that!
The Following User Says Thank You to mastre For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
JJ33 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Lots of advice here. I use Norton and I like it. I agree with hairwiz. Install the coupon printer when needed and then uninstall it. It doesn't take as long as it does to get rid of a virus.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM

I got rid of alot of spy ware and it did say that the coupon printer was infected.
I got rid of it and then reinstalled it. It seems to be working just find right now. I know that when I deleted the coupon printer I am not even deleting every thing that goes with the coupon printer so it makes me wonder what difference it makes when I just turn around and download it all over again. Don't know?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!julieleaps has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by busylizzy View Post
My brother is a data security analyst. He fixed my computer recently (last week ) because of a terrible virus that basically wiped out the darn thing. Anyway, I now have AVG the free version and i also use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. I USED to have McAfee and use microsoft explorer as my browser. Honestly, in the 10 years i had this computer I never got a virus. Within the last 3 months i got 3 and as i said....the last one wiped out my computer. I lost alot of stuff. Oh....did i mention that i started using the coupon printer back in November. What a coincidence. Now i just ask my friends and family that print them out to give me their extras.
This whole thread is freaking me out, but busylizzy, your post sounds alot like what I have been experiencing for about 3 weeks now! My laptop is freezing up, and a few times, my hard drive could not be found - argh! Scary stuff! I was able to recover it, but still....one of these days it will be gone for good.

Funny, I just started couponing again AND I have McAffee and use Explorer.

I guess I will be making some changes....
Old 01-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastre View Post
I got rid of alot of spy ware and it did say that the coupon printer was infected.
I got rid of it and then reinstalled it. It seems to be working just find right now. I know that when I deleted the coupon printer I am not even deleting every thing that goes with the coupon printer so it makes me wonder what difference it makes when I just turn around and download it all over again. Don't know?
In reference to the "red" in your post, you can "delete" by clicking the icon or "program." HOWEVER, if you use uninstall it should more thoroughly get rid of all the stuff connected with the program you wish to delete or throw away. Now I don't pretend to be a geek or anything of that nature. This is simply what I have been told by the past by IT administrators.

Go to CONTROL PANEL and then to ADD/INSTALL PROGRAMS. Select and get rid of what you want.

And, please, feel free to double check this post with someone more savvy than I.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Thank you GrannyGodley for your advice! I did uninstall it from the add/remove in the control panel. So it must be all deleted then. That is great!
I guess Idon't know where you mean I can get rid of the red in the post. I don't know why it is red! What icon should I click on? Sorry I am certainly not a "geek" altho I really wish I was alot of the time!!!
Thanks
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM

:-)
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Lately I have a lot of viruses on my computer. It is VERY annoying! The only things I "download" are coupons. My Virus program found 3 more viruses today. One attached itself to the boot whatever thingy and can't be deleted b/c since it was detected this darn thing shut down both of my Anti virus programs! I can't access them AT ALL, ugh

I am gonna try to work my magic tonight, though if it doesn't work I'll probably bring my computer to some PC guru to get it fixed.

Very aggravating

Do you want to become an AFC Forum Leader?

Openings and requirements can be found
!

Last edited by TJ_2008; 01-27-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 PM

I HAVE A FEVER AND THE ONLY CURE IS MORE COUPONS!

My Mood/Status:
danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
yep we do too...hate that...and i would be so very sad about getting rid of my printers
Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
My McAfee and the MalWare program I have have both picked up trojans, etc. in the past few days. Not a good sign. The GeekGremelins are busy.