Need All The Tips I Can Get On Buying A New Fridge! (Long)

Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
is feeling very blessed
AFC Smart Shopper

My Mood/Status:
calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Help Sign Need all the tips I can get on buying a new fridge! (Long)

You won't believe what happened at our house last Monday!!

I walked into the house with my kids late Monday afternoon after being out for 3-4hrs to find the whole house filled with a hazy smoke and a foul "burning" odor

I freaked out, thinking that perhaps I had left something on the stove and the place was on fire! I checked the stove... nothing on fire there, ran around the house downstairs then upstairs, looking for an appliance or outlet that may have been on fire.....NOTHING! I opened the windows and doors and turned on the fan to disburse the smoke and smell, but was still freaked out as I couldn't find the source of it!

Decided to call 911 and the fire dept. (god bless 'em!) came out. We had 4 fire trucks come into our tiny little condo complex because they weren't exactly sure how big the emergency was (bystanders found it comical when these huge trucks were trying to exit our complex ), they had all their gas mask gear and heat seeking gear, but found nothing on fire/smoking, it was a real mystery!! The odor was strongest in the kitchen and they even pulled out the fridge to see if anything behind there had started a spark or a fire, but turned up nothing!

We were so freaked out that we still didn’t have an answer as to where the smell was coming from, but followed our noses and found that it was strongest behind the fridge. We figured it had to be coming from there, so we unplugged it for the night, because we still didn’t know what the fumes had been and didn’t want to be “gassed” in our sleep! Tuesday morning we called the manufacturer Whirlpool, and long story short, the technician came today, showed me the part that had been burned through. Replaced the part, then plugged it back in only to find that the compressor had been affected by the burn and was not working. So labor and parts combined would’ve cost us $700+!! Guess we may as well purchase a new one since it's already given us 7 good years!!

I’m off shortly to the PO to get one of those Lowes 10% Qs, and have obtained rebate info on the Internet for Energy Star appliances in our area. We’ll be going shopping later tonight when DH comes home from work, so is there any advice anyone can offer to find the best possible deals on refrigerators right now??
The Following User Says Thank You to calstate_brit For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 02:42 PM

RE: Need all the tips I can get on buying a new fridge! (Long)

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
OMG!! What brand of fridge was this?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bodacious has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We purchased a Whirlpool twenty years ago after buying our home. . . .fridge still works great. . .knock, knock, knock on wood. . . .store has gone out of business where we purchased fridge. . .
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 AM

97 Days Until Daytona 500!
Join the Welcome Wagon!

2015 YTD Savings: $3250
My Mood/Status:
DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Sorry I didn't get a chance to check this last night. I have owned many different brands, and I liked them all. For me, it is all about how the frig is set up. I doubt I will buy a side-by-side again. I just like having more room on a wider shelf in both the fridge and freezer section. I just bought my mom a new fridge that had the freezer on the bottom. I don't think that is for me, but for her, who doesn't use that many frozen items and in her mid-70's doesn't bend as good, the fridge on top was the best option for her. Good luck on finding a good one and glad your house didn't catch on fire. My grandmother had her fridge do that and if it wasn't that my uncle was there when it happened, who knows what might have happened.
and to be considered for the Buddy and/or Welcome Wagon Team!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:03 AM

is feeling very blessed
AFC Smart Shopper

My Mood/Status:
calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!calstate_brit has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodacious View Post
We purchased a Whirlpool twenty years ago after buying our home. . . .fridge still works great. . .knock, knock, knock on wood. . . .store has gone out of business where we purchased fridge. . .
Ours was a Whirlpool too! Doesn't put me off buying another one though. It was not a pleasant experience, but I think just a fluke.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 AM

I love vinegar!
Addicted to Coupons!!!

My Mood/Status:
Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We got a side by side and I kind of regret.. It sure is hard to stockpile pizza in there! However my main concern when we bought it was the size (as I wanted to stockpile but don't have room to put a freezer anywhere), the color (I had to have ALL my appliances matching), the cost of the filter, and the price of the fridge.. Otherwise every other fridge is the same to me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(2)

Tags
home depot, lowes, refrigerator, whirlpool