Email From Safeway Sr Attny On Free Policy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!
Free Email from Safeway Sr Attny on Free Policy

I am brand new to your service as of today and am still trying to figure out the various abbreviations, but am still having a ball!

The only major grocery store here on the coast is a Safeway.
I can't tell you how many times I've found their "promotions" didn't work after I have checked out and/or sale items still ringing up at regular price.
Probably 2 out of 3 shopping trips this happens to me!
So after being made to wait another 10-15 min for the manager to once again refund the overcharges-I seached online to see what agency oversees grocery stores and ended up Emailing a complaint into the Department of Justice in my state.
They forwarded my complaint to Safeway legal staff-who sent me an Email saying that they are sorry, implied it was just a fluke and offered me a $25 gift certificate. I Emailed this senior counsel back telling him I saw the problem as ongoing and not just the occasional human error one would expect. I also told him it was odd that sale prices seemed to end promptly end but that they do begin with the same level of accuracy and that it was my belief that Safeway stood to profit by "occasional" errors.

The Email below is his response back.
What surprised me the most was the part of his response below that I put in bold.
My question for all of you is- has it been your experience that when an item has rung up incorrectly at a Safeway- that you were given that item for free?
Because that has never happened a single time to me at my local Safeway. According to him-it is the policy of all Safeway Stores. Thank you!

Thank you for your reply. I will be mailing out your gift card in today's mail and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and resolve your complaint.
Although I think you overly generalize regarding those issues that are not a part of your personal experience, I agree this is a disturbing matter if you are overcharged on some item you attempt to purchase every time you shop at Safeway. Our data, based on government pricing accuracy inspections, shows that we undercharge customers as often, if not more, than we overcharge on sale and other items we sell in our stores. This fact certainly does not support the view that Safeway is engaged in a deliberate plan to bilk customers and illegally increase profits as you suggest in your email.

Obviously, we do not receive the same degree of customer concern when the pricing error is in the customer's favor as when it is not. To encourage customers to bring pricing errors to our attention so that they can be corrected immediately, it is Safeway's policy that if an item scans differently than the posted or advertised price, the customer is to receive the incorrectly priced item for free. If there are more than one of the same item (for example, five cans of soup incorrectly priced), the first one of the items is free and the remaining items are to be charged at the correct price. I agree that this approach sometime puts an unfair burden on the customer to ensure that our pricing is accurate and correct. However, I assure you that we strive to maintain accurate pricing, not only because it is the law, but because it is our reputation and good standing with customers like you that is impacted most when our systems do not work properly. As a result, I encourage you to bring any pricing errors you discover to the attention of store management. You will receive your free item and we will know that a pricing discrepancy exist that we must address. The reality is that because of the electronic nature of our pricing systems, errors and discrepancies will from time to time unfortunately occur.
Again, thank you for bring this matter to our attention. Should you encounter any similar or related problems in the future, please let us know and we will do our best to address problems.
Sincerely,
Bill Harris
Senior Corporate Counsel
Ph: 925.467.3700 | Fax: 925.467.3214 | Mobile: 925.588-9974

william.harris@safeway.com
[/font]
[/size]
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 PM

RE: Email from Safeway Sr Attny on Free Policy

is plotting.....
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Whoa- you may have found one of the only persons at Corporate with the power to do anything about our complaints! BTW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freezingjsalyers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Bad Girl

onlycocacola has posted more than 75 good deals!
My store was hit or miss with getting the mismarked item free. However with the issues I've been having and calling CS about, my store always gives me mismarked items free. My store knows that I know SW policies better then they do!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onlycocacola For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 AM

Learning the value of free or almost free...

K C has posted more than 100 good deals!K C has posted more than 100 good deals!
Heck, I had no idea they even had a free policy!! THANKS!!! And welcome to the best board on the internet!! :-D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to K C For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 08:25 AM

loves my little girl!

My Mood/Status:
sblevesh has posted more than 400 great deals!sblevesh has posted more than 400 great deals!sblevesh has posted more than 400 great deals!sblevesh has posted more than 400 great deals!sblevesh has posted more than 400 great deals!
I did know about that policy. I've never run into the problem though. They just posted the Q policy online. Perhaps that could be added as well! Thanks for the post and welcome!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Happily learning the ropes of coupons !

My Mood/Status:
gr8qponer has posted more than 50 good deals
Good info, thanks for sharing. I will make a copy of your post & put it with my Safeway stuff "just in case".
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
recessionista has posted more than 400 great deals!recessionista has posted more than 400 great deals!recessionista has posted more than 400 great deals!recessionista has posted more than 400 great deals!recessionista has posted more than 400 great deals!
I might be going against the grain here but...I almost feel as though I have a PERSONAL relationship with my SW! Maybe I'm out to lunch though,

So, I'm not ready to play hardball with them over things like this. I truly feel like they are friends of mine. Hopefully not just a misguided romantic feeling I get from saving so much $! HAHA! I KNOW lots of people there, go to Starbucks there, in the end I really enjoy them and know they're trying hard to instill loyalty. It's my neighborhood store and a mutual feeling of benefit between us. I KNOW they are a corporate giant but I see them as people too though and don't think my particular SW has a grand conspiracy going to swindle me. I think they are like me..."Doing the best they can with what they've got!" as my mom would say! LOL!

That being said...Way to go on being proactive in the handling of your situation! When I feel I've been wronged I'm not one to lay down and take it. I can get crazy when I'm wronged! However, I DO feel like I usually have the upper hand with my SW since I often times shop there for FREE

Last edited by recessionista; 05-08-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Translation from ebonics to engilsh! LMAO! So many funny typos if you caught them!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to recessionista For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM

is plotting.....
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!freezingjsalyers has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think with Safeway the stores seem to be all one way or all the other. I have heard about stores that are WONDERFUL to couponers and others that are just AWEFUL....there doesn't seem to be a happy medium and I believe it all depends on the store manager since he/she has so much power with regards to coupon usage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to freezingjsalyers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 06:03 PM

oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!oregonsand has posted more than 400 great deals!
Some more thoughts??

I totally concur the managers and most of the clerks are just wonderful at my store also. They get just as frustrated as I do when the promo $10 doesn't print out or the items aren't ringing up correctly. Because they are the ones that have to take time to go back and re-ring the sale. I never saw these problems as being an individual store problem.

This site has many comments from people trying to get their $10 LV Promo coupon.Why didn't Safeway's marketing exec's take care of the problem when it came to their attention? Why isn't the Catalina company communicating with Safeway to say "Hey some of your white tags are wrong" ?. My store manager said the LV coupons not printing out "has been a common problem since it started". Folks, once a company is aware that they have a problem but don't take the steps to fix it- then that promotion became deceptive advertising, plain and simple.

Think about it-Safeway had staff to create a list, staff to create white sale tags from that list and then staff to place those tags the sale tags under the merchandise. But during this entire process-they didn't have a single person to actually check the main list against the list for the white tags? Do you really think Safeway doesn't have computer availability to cross reference those two lists within seconds if they wanted to? So now people on this site are having to spend their precious time calling an 800 number, asked to prove they bought $30 worth of the "right items". Then they have to wait days/weeks to get the $10 they should have received at time of purchase. Am I alone in thinking that if instead of no coupon printing-that if the computer had malfunctioned and was printing out two $10 coupons -that Safeway execs wouldn't have had that error immediately straightened out?

Safeway Corp will only take accuracy and consistency in coupon shopping, promotions, and sale prices if when people are collectively willing to hold them accountable. I don't believe in "grand" conspiracies either. The clerks and managers may be wonderful people but way up the chain there may be those in charge who are not so consumer friendly and whom are more likely primarily focused on the increasing the profit margin. Serious coupon shoppers are probably not their favorite people. And I do think we are naive as consumers if we don't stop to think that companies stand to profit when a sale price doesn't ring up or when a promo coupon doesn't print out.

We don't have double coupons in our area-so to keep my grocery bill low-I depend on combining sale prices & manufacturer coupons and promotions. I don't need to tell you the time and commitment it takes to bargain shop. So at the very least, my expectation is that Safeway take the steps necessary to ensure they are holding up their end of the bargain by simple making sure what they charge me and promise me matches their advertisements. It's called being honest. I don't think that is too much to ask.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oregonsand For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 PM

thegoddessnicole has posted more than 75 good deals!
I have the same problem at my store. I am not exagerrating when I say something usually rings up wrong(overpriced) 2 out of 3 times. I have to check my receipt before i leave now, its so bad. I knew about that policy but thought they must have done away with it because they always just refund the difference now. I moved away for awhile and wasn't shopping there. I wish they would have known their own policy a week ago, when i bought the huggies on promo for 19.99 and they rang 26.99! They only gave me back 7.00, which didn't include tax but i didn't say anything. Its time consuming waiting in line for them, then they stare at your receipt, then they walk to the aisle the item is in and check the tag, then get their calculator out... Whew!! time is money. they should give it to us for free for wasting our time!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thegoddessnicole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 AM

is smiling

My Mood/Status:
tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
this is great!

17yr boy
8yr boy
2yr girl
18month boy boy boy

Lovin The Coupons
The Following User Says Thank You to tripletsnthree6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
TERRIANN has posted more than 25 good deals
That has been the policy at my Safeway for years, it's the same with Albertson's. The store rarely/never <b>offers</b> this remedy, HOWEVER if you ask for it they honor it. This is if the advertised price (in the sale ad, online or the marked shelf price) does not match what the register rings up when the item is scanned.

On occasion I have had a checker insist on giving me the item for free IF I catch it scanning wrong at the checkout- very hard to do now with the way full prices are rung up then Club Card reductions are applied at the end. If I get home and find an error then bring my receipt back for a refund next time (which I always do if the error is more 50 cents or so) the manager or person at the service desk is often pissy about it and I have been treated a little rudely on occasion- just for requesting the overcharge amt refunded, not asking for the item free!

I agree that Safeway is a neighbor and friend to me, I have been shopping at my neighborhood store since the very day they opened almost 10 years ago and other local Safeways before that. I was one of the first customers in Oregon to get a Club Card, got mine at the Seaside store eons ago. I get great deals there, I routinely save over 50% on my groceries, get free air miles, free Starbucks and deli sandwiches, discounted gas- I save a lot of money at my Safeway. But when they give me grief over my coupons, overcharge me or neglect to scan all my coupons correctly I get on the phone with 1-800-Safeway and it ALWAYS gets resolved immediately, professionally and politely.

It would never occur to me to contact the Dept of Justice to resolve my Safeway issues for me. I don't believe that Safeway is conspiring to overcharge either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TERRIANN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2009, 02:47 AM

They just installed 4 automated checkout counters at our Safeway. They make coupon shopping SO much easier. I watch as I am scanning to make sure the sale price rings up correctly. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with BOGO and promos -for that you normally need to see the receipt. Since I scan my own coupons-I am able to scan multiples. There is only one checker to help w/all 4 checkstands and they're usually too busy to stand there and argue about coupons.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I have no problem if any of you want to print out a copy of the Mr. Harris's Email of 4/29/09 to keep with you to show your Safeway manager if they are unwilling to give you the item for free. Also ask them to contact Mr. Harris if they need to verify the policy. I am guessing once the store manager sees his Email-that they will give you the item for free. If they are still being stinkers, by all means-then please phone Mr. Harris yourself.

If Mr. Harris starts hearing from consumers in different cities/states that this is happening in a lot of stores and is an ongoing problem-then perhaps he will put 2 & 2 together and realize that in today's computer age-people with similar negative experiences are crossing paths online.

Consumers electronically now have the ability to collectively put pressure on a company to honor their commitments if the right amount of pressure is applied to the right place. I doubt any Corporate Office would want to risk an investigation being opened by the Federal Trade Commission and/or the Department of Justice for something they would have resolved if it had only been brought to their attention. But store managers and mid-management are notorious for not wanting to make waves or be the bearer of bad news to their bosses-so some consumer complaints simply never reach corporate level. Especially if the problem is as a result of someone not doing a very good job of training the clerks/managers. So let's hope that Mr. Harris will take whatever steps are necessary for management to be able to educate the various checkers/store managers about this policy for those who weren't already aware of it ....and remind those who may have forgotten.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oregonsand For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2009, 03:38 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
pcomsec has posted more than 300 great deals!pcomsec has posted more than 300 great deals!pcomsec has posted more than 300 great deals!pcomsec has posted more than 300 great deals!
Most of the grocery stores in my area have this policy. HOWEVER, usually the checker does not say "oh it rang wrong, you get it free", you have to mention to them that "oh, don't I get that free now b/c it rang up incorrectly?" and then they say "oh, yeah". And my hubby wonders why (when he goes shopping with me) that I watch the check out process like a hawk and "ssshhh" him if he tries to talk to me during it!!!!!

But he's proud as punch when he sees how much I save. In the beginning he used to b*tch about using coupons, but now he will proudly brag to his friends how well I do. And after finding this site, I'm going to do even better!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pcomsec For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 AM

jcadysmom has posted more than 75 good deals!
I just had to deal with this at my Safeway outside Boulder, CO on Mother's day. I specifically said to the the manager on duty (who looked about 20 years old) that it was my understanding that Safeway's policy is to refund the price of the item. He said "oh no, that policy was ended some time ago". I said so if I call corporate they are going to say that their policy is to only refund the difference. He said yes. I said so that puts the burden on me to monitor whether or not Safeway overcharges and the only thing I get if I find an overprice is the difference?

Of course I didn't have the email printed out with me. I'll deal with it tomorrow when the real manager is at the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcadysmom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Just moved TX to OR, learning to q all over again!

My Mood/Status:
charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Yep, I knew that and have taken advantage of it a few times. It's printed on the bottom of their flyers in tinsey print. I've got good eyes.
. RIP precious Charlie dog
(7/23/2000-1/12/2010)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie54933 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM

jcadysmom has posted more than 75 good deals!
I'll have to go get one of their flyers and my reading glasses and take it to the manager today. I can understand a clerk maybe not knowing the guarantee, but the manager should know. Not to mention that our sales run Tuesday -Tuesday and I bought the item on Sunday, which meant that for 5 days their registers were overcharging customers!
The Following User Says Thank You to jcadysmom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Loving the Deals

My Mood/Status:
Goodasgold has posted more than 400 great deals!Goodasgold has posted more than 400 great deals!Goodasgold has posted more than 400 great deals!Goodasgold has posted more than 400 great deals!Goodasgold has posted more than 400 great deals!
Thanks for sharing.

Up until last week, I've always received items free if they rang up wrong. The CSR told me that she was misinformed as well until her manager addressed the policy, which is only the regular mismarked shelf sticker price will be free. Any advertised sale item will be adjusted accordingly. I guess, I'll have to dispute that next time as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodasgold For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!HaroldS has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
What "fliers" are you talking about? Those in-store ads? Would love to know instead of carrying around that lawyer's letter. Actually, I can't recall being overchared at our SW.
Our local Kroger (Fry's) gives the first item free, but you have to ask. Their produce section is notorious for not inputting the specials in the computer. But we have to stand in line at CS to get it adjusted - unfortunately where they also sell lottery tickets and money orders.
If you have a Fresh & Easy, where you do your own checking out, every scanned wrong price is given free.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
waterchick has posted more than 400 great deals!waterchick has posted more than 400 great deals!waterchick has posted more than 400 great deals!waterchick has posted more than 400 great deals!waterchick has posted more than 400 great deals!
I would have to agree with your experience of being mis-charged. I've had quite a number of transactions where items rung up incorrectly. I *usually* came back the following day and the CS person would refund the difference. Then, about 3 weeks ago, I was mis-charged for some Nestle Cookie Dough. I took the receipt back the next morning and the store manager happened to be running the desk. He gave me $4+ back and I was like, "huh?". He told me it was the policy to always refund 100% of the price if it doesn't ring up correctly.

I can't tell you how many times other people in his store just gave me the difference. A bit frustrating to learn this after the fact. My DH kept saying I should have been refunded 100% of the pricec (but I was too chicken to say anything). His point was that I'm having to drive back and forth to get my refunded "difference". Now I know their policy & scrutinize every receipt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waterchick For This Useful Post: