Bugs Invaded My Unopened Barilla Spaghetti Box!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

redwhiteblue501 has posted more than 200 great deals!redwhiteblue501 has posted more than 200 great deals!redwhiteblue501 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Bugs invaded my unopened Barilla spaghetti box!!

A few months ago I found Barilla whole grain spaghetti at my regular Target. I was so excited to find them I purchased 2 boxes.

Last weekend we decided to have pasta for dinner so I took a box out of the shelf and opened it. I pour them out into the pot, only to find 10+ tiny black bugs came out the box with pasta and drowned (or cooked) in the boiling water. YUCK!!!!!!

I checked my other unopened box and found the same kind of bugs and they made that box their home!!! DOUBLE YUCK!!!

Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 PM

RE: Bugs invaded my unopened Barilla spaghetti box!!

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarprincess has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I would definitely be e-mailing the company they will probably send you coupons for free ones
Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 PM

is saving money!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!HappyGal has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
They were prob grain weevils they are common in pasta, cereal, flour etc.. but once you've got one box of food infested you will prob have more. The only real way to avoid this is to freeze or refrigerate as much as you can.

sorry this happened. at least you didn't eat it first!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
tbrown has posted more than 150 good deals!tbrown has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue501 View Post
A few months ago I found Barilla whole grain spaghetti at my regular Target. I was so excited to find them I purchased 2 boxes.

Last weekend we decided to have pasta for dinner so I took a box out of the shelf and opened it. I pour them out into the pot, only to find 10+ tiny black bugs came out the box with pasta and drowned (or cooked) in the boiling water. YUCK!!!!!!

I checked my other unopened box and found the same kind of bugs and they made that box their home!!! DOUBLE YUCK!!!

So sorry for you. I had this happen to me way back in 1995 (feels like yesterday) with Western Family mac & cheese. Only I ate some, my hubby discovered the bugs after I ate. EWWWWW.
Definatly call or email the company. I did not know what to do being pretty young and dumb. I called the store but they offered nothing. Good luck.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DS
Also
Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 AM

Loves to get people to laugh

rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rntg83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would call or email the company also, did you save the UPC's? Sometimes that helps. Tell them that BOTH boxes were like that. They want to keep your business, so they SHOULD send you some free coupons.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:06 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We've been dealing with pantry moths (ugh!) and haven't been able to determine where exactly they came from; however, in my research on pantry infestations, I've found that the bugs can make their way into the boxes/packaging anywhere along the route. This means they could have entered at the grocery store and not at the manufacturer. I'd just be a little leery of sticking it all on the manufacturer because it may have been out of their control.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 AM

Happy New Year!
Rockin' Coupon Mom (& Wife!)

My Mood/Status:
GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
All I've got to say is ICK!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:56 AM

Looking for Tupperware Book Party/Online Hosts!

My Mood/Status:
TuppermomCT has posted more than 400 great deals!TuppermomCT has posted more than 400 great deals!TuppermomCT has posted more than 400 great deals!TuppermomCT has posted more than 400 great deals!TuppermomCT has posted more than 400 great deals!
This has happened to everyone, at least once in their lifetime. Now, I'm not making a sales pitch, but if you put your dry goods in air-tight containers (Tupperware modular mates, some sets are on sale until Oct 24th) this shouldn't happen. The bugs are attracted to the glue in the box.

I'm offering anyone who places an order thru me a 10% discount. Right now there are several sets of MM on sale up to 60% off. There are different sizes, shapes. If you don't know what's the best for you, pm me with what you buy on a reg basis and I can tell you which is best for your needs.

RBARB Welcome Page

Robyn

Robyn ~ Proud mommy to Olivia and Abigail & wife to Robert

Tupperware Fundraisers* Parties* Bridal* New Home Registries* Contact me for MORE details!
of Tupperware!

ISO Luvs $2.50/1 pack q's!
The Following User Says Thank You to TuppermomCT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 AM

is addicted to AFC!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cheepmomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by targetaddict View Post
We've been dealing with pantry moths (ugh!) and haven't been able to determine where exactly they came from; however, in my research on pantry infestations, I've found that the bugs can make their way into the boxes/packaging anywhere along the route. This means they could have entered at the grocery store and not at the manufacturer. I'd just be a little leery of sticking it all on the manufacturer because it may have been out of their control.

I've had the moths happen too, and it turned out they were coming from an unopened box of pasta.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM

Just moved TX to OR, learning to q all over again!

My Mood/Status:
charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!charlie54933 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Yuck Yuck and double YUCK!!!
. RIP precious Charlie dog
(7/23/2000-1/12/2010)
Old 10-16-2008, 07:01 AM

Time flies!

My Mood/Status:
Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Nerthy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yuck!

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616),

Hear no evil, See no evil and Say no evil.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
jenshot1 has posted more than 300 great deals!jenshot1 has posted more than 300 great deals!jenshot1 has posted more than 300 great deals!jenshot1 has posted more than 300 great deals!
That gives me the crawlies!!! Eekkkkkk
, mother
, superhero
Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
It happened to me once with a box of hamburger helper. To this day I can't eat hamburger helpr anymore, even when it's free.

I know how to use scissors; give me free stuff!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 PM

my sweet blessings has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!my sweet blessings has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!my sweet blessings has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!my sweet blessings has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!my sweet blessings has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!my sweet blessings has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
yuck.... I'd go check other boxes and make sure there arent any more infesting other food.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 PM

hoping Kmart has some good deals.

mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
They were prob grain weevils they are common in pasta, cereal, flour etc.. but once you've got one box of food infested you will prob have more. The only real way to avoid this is to freeze or refrigerate as much as you can.

sorry this happened. at least you didn't eat it first!
Or as I learned about 20 yrs. ago, put your dry grain products in Rubbermaid, Tupperware, etc. This solved my problem really quick. Spent big bucks on the Tupperware modular mates, they had just come out. & yes, I still have them & love them!

OK folks, this will sound strange, but 60 minutes several yrs. ago did a story on grain bugs. & you can check this out @ the FDA site: by the FDA's standards, a set amount of bugs are allowed in a certain amount of dry grain as it is processed. Which means that most of them do not die, they multiply. & happens just as it did to the OPer: pour the box of pasta into the boling water, & the bogs float to the top.

R.N.
AND
AND In Store Coupon

Avatar Pic is Eben Ice Caves, a few miles from my house.

Last edited by mbpnursy; 10-17-2008 at 09:05 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbpnursy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 PM

hoping Kmart has some good deals.

mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mbpnursy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuppermomCT View Post
This has happened to everyone, at least once in their lifetime. Now, I'm not making a sales pitch, but if you put your dry goods in air-tight containers (Tupperware modular mates, some sets are on sale until Oct 24th) this shouldn't happen. The bugs are attracted to the glue in the box.

I'm offering anyone who places an order thru me a 10% discount. Right now there are several sets of MM on sale up to 60% off. There are different sizes, shapes. If you don't know what's the best for you, pm me with what you buy on a reg basis and I can tell you which is best for your needs.

RBARB Welcome Page

Robyn
Ditto. See my post.

R.N.
AND
AND In Store Coupon

Avatar Pic is Eben Ice Caves, a few miles from my house.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:34 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I learned my lesson years ago - every box of pasta, rice or cereal is opened when I get home from the store. Pour contents into gallon size ziplock bags. Tear top of box off and tape it to outside of bag - also any cooking instructions if necessary. No more bugs in my stuff. Also note I buy the bags at BJ's using coupons of course.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:42 PM

cleaning, the task that never ends.
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!onlymadaresane has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
You guys have me flipping a bit here...isn't cereal ok because it's in a plastic bag on the inside? And the new HH we've been getting has pasta in bags on the inside as well...

Pasta I understand. Nothing between it and the box. We store everything down in our basement and haven't had any issues so far, but it's making me leary!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:37 PM

SalemCat has posted more than 1 good deal
A few facts:

#1 Grain and Rice Weevils are in there right from the Factory. They are extremely tiny until hatched and are nearly impossible to avoid entirely. You will often discover them in SEALED plastic bags of rice. The factory could irradiate the food, but many people are unnecessarily nervous about irradiated food. In Europe irradiated food is common and accepted.

#2 Grain and Rice Weevils are entirely harmless. They actually add protein to the food. They will float when you boil and are easy to skim off.

#3 We Americans should be very, very thankful for what we have. But most are not. Throughout history our Ancestors were quite glad to have any food at all. If they saw us tossing perfectly good food away because of a few weevils they would be horrified. In fact, most of the World TODAY would be equally horrified, and would eat that rice or pasta, weevils and all, in a heartbeat.

#4 Despite this, I too throw away weevil-infested food. I am a spoiled American and pray I can remain spoiled forever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SalemCat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM

working
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!tookerdl has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
not to freak any one but anyone ever read The Jungle?? its about meat and whats "ok" to put in the package- just as scary as the whole bugs being ok as posted above
Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 AM

aknox79 has posted more than 5 good deals
Last year I had stocked up on Rice A Roni and I was cooking a box and noticed little bugs floating on the top and crawling on the side of the bowl. I called the company and they asked me how many did I purchase and they sent me that many coupons. I could use the coupons on different products also, which worked out better.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM

tired

My Mood/Status:
tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yucko

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Ghandi
Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jaybeza has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Oh my gosh! I stocked up on the Meijer free pasta this summer, and have recently been checking into all of this investation stuff hoping to avoid the same fate! My only option was to get those huge air tight bags, and freeze it. I feel so much better now! Hope everything works out well for you in the end!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
andrea2289 has posted more than 200 great deals!andrea2289 has posted more than 200 great deals!andrea2289 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Just wanted to add to this. I am coming off a horrible pantry moth infestation. It has been a complete nightmare.

I had just done a HUGE grocery shopping at Kroger. Before coupons it was $292 and after coupons, my total was $113 and it was almost all pantry items. I had over 20 boxes of Chex and Fiber One Cereal boxes alone. About a week later I noticed an excess of moths flying around. I had never even freakin heard of a panty moth before this.

Turns out, the nest (you'll know it when you find it) was box of Kashi Crunch I had bought at Walmart about a week prior. They had gotten into 99% of my food. They had even laid cocoons up under the lids of my jarred food, almost every box of pasta, rice and cereal had live moths and/or cocoons in them. I threw away EVERYTHING except canned goods. Between the loss of food, and money spent on traps and professional exterminating, this has cost me well over $400 and my kitchen was a disaster for 2 weeks.

I recently was at the same Walmart I bought the cereal and saw Pantry Moths flying around in the cereal aisle. I told the manager and I sent a Customer Feedback Email to corporate. Bottom line: If there are live moths flying around then they clearly have an infestation of their own.

I have learned that freezing kills moths and weevils. The exterminator said I should put all flour/sugar/grain products in the freezer for 48 hours when I bring them home and then store in airtight containers (as previous posters suggested).

The only good thing is that I had done so well at Kroger that week, I only lost $113 plus what I already had. I can't imagine if I hadn't used coupons and had actually spent the $292 before coupon total! Now I am paranoid and still have a hard time eating cereal
The Following User Says Thank You to andrea2289 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Just wanted to add that in my online research I've found that the pests are able to get into boxes and bags so ziploc bags aren't really a solution, unfortunately. The only thing that seems to be foolproof is airtight food storage containers.