Courtroom Brainteaser

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Courtroom brainteaser

I found this one and it is pretty cool, IMO. Hope you enjoy:

You live on an island where there are only two kinds of people: the ones who always tell the truth (truth tellers) and those who always lie (liars). You are accused of crime and brought before the court, where you are allowed to speak only one sentence in your defense. What do you say in each of the following situations?

1) If you were a liar (the court does not know that) and you were innocent. And it is an established fact that a liar committed the crime.
2) Same situation as above, but you are the one who committed the crime.
3) If you were a truth teller (the court does not know that) and you were innocent. And it is an established fact that a truth teller committed the crime.
4) If you were innocent and it is an established fact that the crime was not committed by a “normal” person. Normal people are that new immigrant group who sometimes lie and sometimes speak the truth. What sentence, no matter whether you were a truth teller, liar, or normal, can prove your innocence?

BTW, I do have the answer and can post if wanted/needed. ENJOY!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM

RE: Courtroom brainteaser

RoseColoredGlasses has posted more than 10 good deals
??? I don't really understand it???
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseColoredGlasses View Post
??? I don't really understand it???
You are just supposed to figure out what you would say in the four situations IF you lived somewhere that there are only either liars or truth-tellers.
I know...maybe a little weird, but aren't most riddles/brainteasers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 AM

RoseColoredGlasses has posted more than 10 good deals
Oh I thought I had to think of one sentence that would be the answer to ALL of the questions. Thanks for the clarification, Ill have to start thinking!
The Following User Says Thank You to RoseColoredGlasses For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseColoredGlasses View Post
Oh I thought I had to think of one sentence that would be the answer to ALL of the questions. Thanks for the clarification, Ill have to start thinking!
OH...sorry! No, one for each...Now I see why you were confused.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
OK...warning you that I am about to post the answer...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
So...if you want to figure it out on your own...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 AM

My Mood/Status:
you should stop scrolling down the page...

My Mood/Status:
Although, if you think you know the answer and want to check...

My Mood/Status:
Or just want the answer...

My Mood/Status:
Then....Keep scrolling...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:42 AM

My Mood/Status:
1. "I did it – I am guilty."

2. There is no such sentence.

3. "I am innocent."

4. "Either I am an honestant and innocent, or I am a liar and guilty." = "I am either an innocent honestant, or a guilty liar." The court could think this way:
A. If he is an honestant, then his statement is true and he is innocent.

B. If he is a liar, then his statement is a lie and he is neither an innocent honestant nor a guilty liar. This means that he is an innocent liar.

C. If he is normal, then he is innocent since a normal man couldn’t have done that.

If you got this all right, I am very impressed...I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around it.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM

Savin Money Momma

My Mood/Status:
thebestthings has posted more than 25 good deals
wow Good one

Tami,mom to Emily