Percent Off

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2005, 04:57 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Percent off

Time to tune up those brains for holiday shopping. If you are new and have not played brain teasers with us please check out the rules in the sticky thread.
Until last week, Mandy had been putting off the purchase of four major items for her home, waiting for her town's annual bargain days. Each year, the town's four main stores (including Nickels) each send out a coupon for a different percentage discount (10%, 15%, 20%, or 30%) on the purchase of a single item. Can you find the discount that Mandy received on each of her buys, and determine from which store she purchased each item?

Given:

Discounts: 10%, 15%, 20%, 30%
Store Names: Stears, Pal-Mart, Nickels, Dullard's
Appliances: Computer, Dishwasher, Lawnmower, VCR

Clues:

1) The percentage discount Mandy received on her new computer was twice that of the item she bought at Dullard's.
2) The discount on the Stears purchase was ten percentage points lower than the one on the riding lawnmower.
3) The discount on the dishwasher wasn't 15%.
4) Pal-Mart, (which didn't issue the 30% off coupon) isn't the store at which Mandy purchased the VCR.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 05:01 PM

RE: Percent off

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Too easy! Give me a hard one!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:33 PM

Gone crazy, be back later

ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!
Well, since Pal-Mart would NEVER issue any sort of discount coupon on their own, I think it's a trick question!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM

Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjloves2teach
Too easy! Give me a hard one!!!
So, what is the answer smartie???
Old 09-23-2005, 12:25 PM

needs to start clipping
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!queenbear has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
A whole lot of paper and a bottle of wine later I think I have found the answer:

Stears bought the dishwasher at 10% off
Dullards bought the vcr at 15% off
Palmart bought the lawnmower at 20% off
nickels bought the computer 30% off

Please tell me this is right my brain hurts...
Old 09-23-2005, 04:11 PM

Grounded for Life

WAY TO GO!!!!

Answer

Stears -- Dishwasher -- 10%
Pal-Mart -- Lawnmower -- 20%
Nickels -- Computer -- 30%
Dullard's -- VCR -- 15%

**Clue #1: According to this clue, we know that the computer discount couldn't be 10% or 15%. By the same token, the Dullard's discount can't be 20% or 30%. We also know that the computer wasn't bought at Dullard's.
**Clue #2: Here we know that the discount used on the lawnmower can not be 15% because the Stears discount has to be 10 points lower. Nor can it be 10% for the same reason. Which means that the Stears discount can only be 20% or 10%. The lawnmower was also not purchased at Stears.
**Clue #3: This clue is self explanatory. This leaves the VCR as the 15% discount. Which in turn makes the dishwasher the 10% discount.
**Clue #4: Pal-Mart didn't give out the 30%. Marking this off leaves Nickels as the 30% discount holder. The VCR was not bought at Pal-Mart.
*********We know that the Nickels discount was 30%. The only appliances that could be purchased with the 30% discount coupon are the lawnmower and the computer. So we can mark off the dishwasher and the VCR from Nickels. Since we know that the VCR was purchased with the 15% discount coupon, and Stears can not be the issuer of that coupon, the VCR was not purchased at Stears. Which leaves the VCR purchase at Dullard's, which we now know issued the 15% coupon. Now, from clue #1, we know that the computer discount is twice that of Dullard's. We know Dullard's is 15%, so the computer is 30%, and was purchased at Nickles. Marking these off leaves the dishwasher at Stears and the lawnmower at Pal-Mart. We know that the dishwasher is 10%, so we know that Stears is the 10% coupon issuer. This leaves Pal-Mart as the 20% coupon issuer.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:32 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!wendy1214 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbear
A whole lot of paper and a bottle of wine later I think I have found the answer:

Stears bought the dishwasher at 10% off
Dullards bought the vcr at 15% off
Palmart bought the lawnmower at 20% off
nickels bought the computer 30% off

Please tell me this is right my brain hurts...
That's what I got after 2 tries. I used to love these, it took me a while to get back into the thinking mind set!
Wendy