New Coupon Policy At CVS Prevents Overage?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 PM
attempting to catch up with coupons

2014 YTD Savings: $1886.38
My Mood/Status:
jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Question New Coupon Policy at CVS prevents Overage?!?

I have just read somewhere that CVS' new coupon policy has wording to the effect that any coupon for more than the item costs, will be adjusted down to the cost of that item. Does that mean no more overage or MMs????

Could someone please confirm this?

I wish I could remember where I saw this, but my brain is tired.

Always willing to trade for WL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwo For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM

RE: New Coupon Policy at CVS prevents Overage?!?

plotting the next trip
Just Me

My Mood/Status:
Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My local CVS stores have never allowed overage, unless it was a fluke by mistake. I beleive their policy has always been not to allow overage but I know it happens. At mine the register usually automatically adjusts the q down and if prompted for a price the cashier will put in the appropriate price. The only MM's I have ever had at CVS are with ecb's which hasn't changed... just like the airwick deal going on this week. $4.99 each buy 4 $19.96 use 4 $4/1 coupons pay $3.96 and get a $10 ecb.. so still giving out MM's hth
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's and 2
's
The Following User Says Thank You to Hadsgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Honestly I don't understand why any store would allow overage. It seems like it encourages a few extreme individuals to go over the deep end.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tothepointe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 11:22 PM

fortheloveofthecoupons has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadsgirl
My local CVS stores have never allowed overage, unless it was a fluke by mistake. I beleive their policy has always been not to allow overage but I know it happens. At mine the register usually automatically adjusts the q down and if prompted for a price the cashier will put in the appropriate price. The only MM's I have ever had at CVS are with ecb's which hasn't changed... just like the airwick deal going on this week. $4.99 each buy 4 $19.96 use 4 $4/1 coupons pay $3.96 and get a $10 ecb.. so still giving out MM's hth
Thank you for being an awesome person and stating the truth! Cvs does not give overages unless it is a fluke or the stupidest cashier ever. Here in MD we never get overages
The Following User Says Thank You to fortheloveofthecoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Mine used to, but quit last year. Now the coupon is automatically adjusted down. As Hadsgirl said, now MMs can be had only in combination with ECB deals, not because of Q overage.
The Following User Says Thank You to andreana01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM

plotting the next trip
Just Me

My Mood/Status:
Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Hadsgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothepointe View Post
Honestly I don't understand why any store would allow overage. It seems like it encourages a few extreme individuals to go over the deep end.
I think you are right. Maybe it would work if they limited the amount of overage or something.. I have no problem with some overage and I think it's wonderful, but you are right some will take it to huge extremes which throws up red flags for the store I'm sure.
's and 2
's
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM

SBW1027 has posted more than 150 good deals!SBW1027 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofthecoupons View Post
Thank you for being an awesome person and stating the truth! Cvs does not give overages unless it is a fluke or the stupidest cashier ever. Here in MD we never get overages
I got an overage (in MD) the other week with diapers. I received a magic red box Q for free diapers. They were on sale for $8.99, but the register took off $12.99 (the regular price).
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 AM

My Mood/Status:
jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jwo has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I wasn't meaning to upset anyone here....I was just asking if this was a new coupon policy because in the CVS forum there is often reference to MMs and others talking about getting overage with this deal or that deal. If I have a coupon for more than the item, my CVS always took off the amount of the coupon, so sometimes there was a bit of overage, but nothing like what extreme couponers would go after. Usually just a few cents, to a dollar. My CVS also takes expired ECBs too, but there was also something in this new policy about that too, so I may lose that privilege as well.

Let me make myself clear -- I am not an extreme couponer, out to make a fast buck, or clear the shelves of everything. In fact, I think extreme couponers have done more harm than good. I think that is why so many stores are adjusting their coupon policies. The excesses of a few are making all of us couponers pay.

Last edited by jwo; 09-14-2011 at 09:27 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
Here is the link: https://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvsconten...uponpolicy.pdf

Maybe it isn't new but the article that referenced it said it was.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo View Post
My CVS also takes expired ECBs too, but there was also something in this new policy about that too, so I may lose that privilege as well.
Yikes. I would hate that. I have gotten used to the expired ECBs. It's usually only by a few days, but it helps if it slips my mind to check the date.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tothepointe has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreana01 View Post
Yikes. I would hate that. I have gotten used to the expired ECBs. It's usually only by a few days, but it helps if it slips my mind to check the date.
I have a little spreadsheet in which I track my savings and I enter my ECB's into that. When I use my ECB I highlight when I've used. Them I have a secondary sheet that tallys how many outstanding ECBs, RR and other catalina style rewards I have at any give time. The total right now is something like $52

The Following User Says Thank You to tothepointe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
CVS's policy has always been to not allow overage. If the value of a coupon exceeds the value of an item & the register does not automatically adjust the value of the coupon down, then the cashier is to manually adjust the coupon.

That said, there are certain circumstances where overage seems to go through. Coupons from the Red Machine often go through for the max value rather than the actual item's value. Also, if you have a single coupon that has a value greater than a single item, but have two of the exact same items that the coupon will apply to then often the excess will go through with no beeps. (For example, you have a coupon for $2 off 1 Shampoo. Shampoo costs $1.50. If you try to use the $2 coupon it will beep for excess value. If you have two shampoos, it might not beep - this is why the Lumene deal was working for almost everyone, there was enough Lumene in every order to cover all the coupons). It doesn't always work like that, and it's not really supposed to so it's not something one can plan on doing. In either of those situations, the rule is that they should all be adjusted down, but that's not how it always happens.

In regards to expired ECBs, store managers can choose to accept expired ECBs and other CVS coupons as a customer appreciation type gesture. The general rule has always been that they are not accepted, but some stores will do it. Those that always have probably will continue to do so.

As far as legit MMs without overage, those are easily had at CVS with items that offer ECBs back that are close to or equal to the value of the item on sale, then combine with a coupon. Example, Shampoo is on sale for $3 with $3ECB back. You have a coupon for $2 off 1 Shampoo. You pay $1 OOP, receive $3 ECB back. You have "made" two bucks.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robbo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!coffeewench has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yep, what Robbo said. They've never technically allowed overage. Some registers allow it, some cashiers allow it, but really, it's always been their policy and it should NEVER be counted on--always a thank your lucky stars kind of thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeewench For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Shop-a-holic

My Mood/Status:
CouponNewbies has posted more than 75 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo
I wasn't meaning to upset anyone here....I was just asking if this was a new coupon policy because in the CVS forum there is often reference to MMs and others talking about getting overage with this deal or that deal. If I have a coupon for more than the item, my CVS always took off the amount of the coupon, so sometimes there was a bit of overage, but nothing like what extreme couponers would go after. Usually just a few cents, to a dollar. My CVS also takes expired ECBs too, but there was also something in this new policy about that too, so I may lose that privilege as well.

Let me make myself clear -- I am not an extreme couponer, out to make a fast buck, or clear the shelves of everything. In fact, I think extreme couponers have done more harm than good. I think that is why so many stores are adjusting their coupon policies. The excesses of a few are making all of us couponers pay.
You said my friend! in Las Vegas the "extreme" part has gotten way out of hand! I had a lady push my baby strolled to get at a sale item!
I never had that type of issue b4 the show hit the air but that show also makes me sick to my stomach.
I have a wonderful cvs & they take exp Qs and go above & beyond to make my shopping trip a great one
I do not however like that the q gets adjusted down when they get full value on it from what I'm to understand. But like any good relationship there are trade offs! So I live with it & keep shopping :c)
Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 AM

FSOT BOGO Qs

lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Just out of curiosity, does your cashier insist on scanning your card before ringing up your purchases?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!anixon2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lululu888 View Post
Just out of curiosity, does your cashier insist on scanning your card before ringing up your purchases?
Yes, mine always have...I do believe it is policy and plus you have to have the card on some items to get the price. So, if you don't scan the card before the item is entered you may not get the price you expected to pay. My cvs store has always allowed overage on coupons as long as you are buying something that will absorb said overage. The way my store is looking at it is that they are increasing their sales by doing so. They also don't view it as overage if they are not paying anything. As they put it they don't care how you pay for a transaction as long as the coupons are legit then they aren't losing anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to anixon2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM

FSOT BOGO Qs

lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lululu888 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anixon2 View Post
if you don't scan the card before the item is entered you may not get the price you expected to pay.
This is not true.

As long as you scan your card "during" the process of checking out, you will get the sale price. It doesn't have to be "before" ringing up purchases.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM

FSOT BOGO Qs

I'm not sure about whether it's a policy or not to have your card scanned first before ringing up your purchases.

I think it's more whether it's a policy of that particular store or not. Some SMs are strictly by the book. So I wouldn't push it if your cashier insists on scanning the card first as they may be instructed to do so.

Most of the time if the card is scanned later, the overage wouldn't be an issue as long as you have something else to absorb it or it may even apply to the tax (again, ymmv as policy seems to vary per store.) Some exceptions may apply due to the coding of the MQ, but that's a totally different issue.

Last edited by lululu888; 09-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM

FSOT BOGO Qs

I have one shift manager who totally loves to scan your card at the very last moment after everything including all coupons are scanned. She said that way you get the full effect of how much savings you get with the card as you watch your total literally shrinks in front of your eyes on the little monitor.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM

FSOT BOGO Qs

Quote:
My cvs store has always allowed overage on coupons as long as you are buying something that will absorb said overage. The way my store is looking at it is that they are increasing their sales by doing so. They also don't view it as overage if they are not paying anything. As they put it they don't care how you pay for a transaction as long as the coupons are legit then they aren't losing anything.
As a customer, I totally agree that's the way they should interpret it.

As a store, legally they will be reimbursed the full amount of the MQs redeemed plus handling fees.

But, as a MFR, do they want to pay for the MQ (a marketing cost to them) on top of sales incentives to the store? with the increasing redemption rate of the MQs, I can totally understand why they are pushing for no overage policy to be enforced.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
If overages causes people to buy things for the sake of buying them rather than for an item they want or will use then I can see why the manufacturer wouldn't want overages to be paid even if they pay the full value of the coupon.

The whole point of a coupon is to modify the price of an item to a price point the consumer is willing to pay to try a new item and hopefully become brand loyal. Overages don't always achieve. Some stores like WM use overages as marketing point for their store but once they have your business they wont offer it anymore

Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM

MSing for another luxury trip :)
Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I understand why manufacturers would frown on the overage issue IF they are paying for OTHER items that are not produced by their company. It is understandable why they would disagree to that. Now if the retailer can tell them that they will allow the overage to be applied ONLY to items produced by that company, they may agree to it knowing there's still a sale made for their other products. That may be impossible in cases where customer would like to apply their overage(s) to food items and the mfr only produces health and beauty items.

What I see that is fair for both shopper and retailer is for cashier to CANCEL the barcode of the MQ and write the sale price on the coupon. The coupon will then have to be processed manually @ the clearinghouse, thereby getting paid ONLY the sale price of the item and no overage/cash back is given. The shopper doesn't feel ripped off saying the retailer is raking add'l profits from their coupons.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
This is going to be a very unpopular opinion but it comes from on who is both a couponer and a daughter of a former small supermarket owner.

I don't understand why customer should expect to get any overage, why they should expect their item to be more than free. This acting on the assumption that their coupons are legal tender the same as cash they are not. They are a promise for a specific $ discount off a specific product. It is not say $1 to spend on item x and then spend the change on anything else you like.

It is a rare situation when the value of a coupon is more than the value of an item when you consider how most coupons are used. Supermarkets are not rolling in the dough from redeeming millions of coupons for their full value.

If too many people protest not getting overage then the supermarkets will simply say ok thats fine. No using coupons that are more than the items value which mean alot more people will miss out.

If you want overage you always have the choice to redeem your coupons at an establishment that allows it.

For me free is fine enough. I get overage occasionally. Don't mind it and it does make me a little happy but I wouldn't purposely seek it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to tothepointe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2011, 03:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Yes, mine always have...I do believe it is policy and plus you have to have the card on some items to get the price. So, if you don't scan the card before the item is entered you may not get the price you expected to pay. My cvs store has always allowed overage on coupons as long as you are buying something that will absorb said overage. The way my store is looking at it is that they are increasing their sales by doing so. They also don't view it as overage if they are not paying anything. As they put it they don't care how you pay for a transaction as long as the coupons are legit then they aren't losing anything.
Yep, me too. They always scan my card first. But the total doesn't take off the card discounts until last. I think my situation is as Robbo described. My overage comes from using ECBs and coupons. So maybe my store doesn't technically allow overage, but there is an "overage" with the resulting ECB added in.

I don't count on overage when I go shopping, but at stores where I know I have gotten overage (whichever way) before, it's nice to have that bonus. I'm not greedy, but I do appreciate any extra money I can save during these tough times.