Early Activation Conflict

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 02:39 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!
Early Activation conflict

Yesterday, I felt like getting some shampoo. I had to go to 2 different stores (in search of an increasingly elusive L'Oreal hair treatment) to do the deals.

I had some coupons from CVS and there were some ECB deals.

So, in the first store, I bought 3 Garnier, since I had a Redbox machine Q for $5/$10 Garnier Haircare and it was too good to pass up.
So those were $10.79 (2/$7 & 1/$3.79)
I used one $4/2 MQ. Got back $2 ECB for buying 2 Garnier shampoos.
In the same transaction, because I had a $4/$18 Shampoo Redbox Q, I also bought 2 L'Oreal Elvive shampoo & conditioner for $8, using a $4/2 MQ.

Total was $18.79 and the manager pushed through the Redbox Qs when the second one beeped. But I realized I needed another $7 to get the $5 ECB deal on the L'Oreal, so I figured I'd go to another CVS and see if I could get the treatment that I wanted.

I go to the second store, buy one L'oreal shampoo and one Elvive Treatment (they didn't have the one I wanted, so I figured I'd try this one). total is $4.25 + $5.99 = $10.24. I use two MQs, one $2/1 shampoo and a $2.50/1 treatment ip. Total OOP is $6.24 and sales tax. (Also an ibotta deal on the Elvive treatment, too, but that's tangential). After all this, NO ECBs print.

I pull my receipt out from the other store and say, what's up with this? It says clearly on the receipt that I needed to spend $7 to complete the deal. So why didn't the ECBs print, given I bought over $10? They don't get it either, but force print an ECB for the deal. I get the $5 ECB for buying $15 in L'Oreal. Then, later, I see that, lower on the second receipt, it shows that I've spent $10.24 toward the next week's ECB deal. So what happened was that I was on some weird time cusp of the two weeks' identical ECB sales and the second purchase got credited to the next week's transaction.

I've never had that happen before but, in effect, having the forced ECB resulted in me being credited for both weeks with the second purchase in that I was able to complete the first ECB deal and am more than 2/3 of the way finished with the second.

Has anything like that happened to any of you?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zippy2u For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM

RE: Early Activation conflict

hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hereimagain has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Yes, it not unusual. That's what happens after the early activation if the price is the same both weeks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hereimagain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 11:53 PM

zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!zippy2u has posted more than 400 great deals!
Thanks. It's good to know of this for future reference, as I've been shopping Sat. evenings a lot lately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zippy2u For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 PM

monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!monkeystyle has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Zippy2u, I too was unaware of the time cusp in regards to the current ad and early ad activation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Early activation can be advantageous or something that messes you up. Generally non 24 stores EA around 4 pm Saturday but they dont have to do so. The best way to know if EA has happened is to price something at the RM that is on sale "next week" but not on sale for the current week. If you are shopping Saturday late afternoons/ evenings, its a really good idea to price check something to make sure you know what deals you will get.

EA means BOTH ads will be active, you will get the "better deal" for each item you purchase. The register calculates the better deal strictly by the price that the item rings up, ECBs are not taken into consideration calculating the best deal. I.e., if an item is priced $3 with a $3 ECB this week but on sale next week for $2.50, you will get the $2.50 pricing and no ECB. If an ECB prints will always follow which pricing deal the register thinks is better.

If the item is priced the same both weeks, the ECB deal always follows next weeks offer.

I think those are the EA basics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 03:55 PM

Thanks, monkeydawn. That clarifies things a lot. I was sort of oblivious and thought the EA wouldn't kick in until 6 p.m. Being on the West Coast, there's a 3 hour time lag, and given CVS was based out of Rhode Island, I guess they determine things by EST.

At any rate, I'll complete the deal for this week and enjoy the $7 overlap.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 PM

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
You are very welcome.

AFAIK it isn't like there is some master EA switch, it's determined at the store level. In some cases I am sure the District manager weighs in an well. There was one CVS when I was in NY that liked to jump the gun. I think it was barely 3pm sometimes when they switched over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Now that you mention it. This has happened before. I go to two CVS stores that are barely 5 minutes apart. One is much smaller, and often I'll have to go to the larger one to complete a ECB deal. Twice, I've had this problem not for a continuing deal, but for the same week's ECB deal, and always when I go from the smaller to the larger store. It very well may have something to do with timing. I suspect the larger store has EA kick in much earlier than the smaller one so that by the time I get to the larger store, it's wiped the slate clean from the prior week and is operating on the next week's schedule.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
Just to clarify, EA doesnt remove all the current weeks deals. It means both ads are active but each item will only have one active deal, the "better" of the two deals (decided by price only).

EA can be a wonderful time to shop but it does really take planning.

The bright side is CS used to be very good about granting ECBs for current week deals that were completed after EA forced a deal to stop tracking. I havent heard otherwise so I would expect that to still be the case if your local store wont do a force print for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post: