Will This Work For The Almay Sale?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 08:35 PM
PRAY THAT I GET ORGANIZED PLEASE!
Lovin' the deals and AFC especially!

My Mood/Status:
little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!
Will this work for the Almay sale?

I am totally new to CVS shopping, so please bear with me if this is totally basic to most of you.

I want to purchase Almay cosmetics with the BOGO 50% off sale combined with the $4/1 insert coupons from this past Sunday's paper. I also happen to have a $5/15 cosmetic purchase from the CVS coupon center.

Would this work?
Buy 6 Almay Shadow Softies eye shadows, 3 @ $4.99 regular price, and 3 @ $2.50 (half off).
Use 6 $4/1 Almay cosmetic manuf coupons:

$4.99
$2.50
$4.99
$2.50
$4.99
$2.50
-------
$22.47
- 24.00 Almay coupons
--------
-$1.53
This brings the total to -$1.53 (not considering tax). I'd then like to use my $5/15 CVS coupon to bring the total to -$6.53. If I buy items to absorb the overage, will it work? I've read that YMMV as far as adjusting the coupons down. Also, should I hand the coupons over in a certain order?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 PM

RE: Will this work for the Almay sale?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
ellover06 has posted more than 200 great deals!ellover06 has posted more than 200 great deals!ellover06 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by little.chickadee View Post
I am totally new to CVS shopping, so please bear with me if this is totally basic to most of you.

I want to purchase Almay cosmetics with the BOGO 50% off sale combined with the $4/1 insert coupons from this past Sunday's paper. I also happen to have a $5/15 cosmetic purchase from the CVS coupon center.

Would this work?

Buy 6 Almay Shadow Softies eye shadows, 3 @ $4.99 regular price, and 3 @ $2.50 (half off).
Use 6 $4/1 Almay cosmetic manuf coupons:

$4.99
$2.50
$4.99
$2.50
$4.99
$2.50
-------
$22.47
- 24.00 Almay coupons
--------
-$1.53

This brings the total to -$1.53 (not considering tax). I'd then like to use my $5/15 CVS coupon to bring the total to -$6.53. If I buy items to absorb the overage, will it work? I've read that YMMV as far as adjusting the coupons down. Also, should I hand the coupons over in a certain order?

Thanks in advance!
I feel like it totally depends on the cashier. But for sure hand any cvs coupons over first always good luck I might do this as well
The Following User Says Thank You to ellover06 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Per policy, you shouldn't get overage. However, in practice it's likely you will get the overage from the 5/15. I would expect the last Almay coupon to be reduced so that your Almay total is $0. Overage from mfr coupons that doesn't apply to like products is very rare, I've seen it twice I think. Almay has not allowed for overage in the past so I would not expect it.

As far as what to hand over first from the registers perspective it won't matter. The cvs coupons will process last no matter what order you hand them over. From the perspective of the cashier, she could deny the 5/15 if you total dips below 15 before she scans it but the register would accept it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!little.chickadee has posted more than 300 great deals!
Thank you both so much for answering. I'll try it Wednesday and I'll report back.

Wish me luck!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by little.chickadee
Thank you both so much for answering. I'll try it Wednesday and I'll report back. Wish me luck!
Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 PM

couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by little.chickadee View Post
Thank you both so much for answering. I'll try it Wednesday and I'll report back.

Wish me luck!
This is definitely a YMMV scenario. My cashier (who is also a shift manager) always asks me to let her know if I will get overage with MFQ. I do not know the process but this is the order in which she does things. First, she processes all the CVS coupons & I do mean all, CRT's, printables and ECB. Next, she scans MFQ's until it beeps. Then she does something miraculous on the register (it has something to with the way she totals) and scans until the rest of my coupons are used. The overage goes towards the tax and the receipt will show a negative subtotal or pre-tax total.

The lat time I had this happen was with NYC make-up. They were BOGO50% and produced ECB's. I only paid .67 cent tax. My subtotal was -5.xx. Never forget a mind-blowing deal. I wish I knew where the receipt was or how she did it!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to couponb1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
Okay... promised I'd report back tonight and I'm sorry it's so late but I JUST got home from leaving this morning. BUSY GIRL!

Since the store was closing in ten minutes when I got there, I tried to hurry and put several different scenarios together after looking at the different makeup I wanted. I can't think when I'm stressed, so I had to limit myself to one transaction for tonight.

Here's what I did.

Bought:

(1) Almay Smart Shade Mousse makeup @ $14.79
(1) Almay Smart Shade Loose Finishing powder @ $6.24 (50% off of $12.49)
(1) Almay Shadow Softie @ $4.99
(1) Almay Shadow Softie @ $2.49 (50% off of $4.99)
(1) greeting card @ $4.99
----------------------------------
Products = $33.50

Used:

(4) Almay Manuf cpns @ $4/1
(1) CVS makeup cpn @ $5/15
-----------------------------
Coupons = $21.00

Subtotal was $12.50
Tax was $2.00

OOP = $14.50 (70% savings)

How did I do? SERIOUSLY. Meaning the scenario the way I did it, bearing in mind that I plan to buy more (see below). If there was a better way or if I really screwed up (and look stupid), please be honest. I'm a total newbie couponing at CVS and it is extremely confusing to me when it seems to come so naturally to others. I've used the CVS scenario spreadsheet (WOW... what a help!) and I've read about the different ways to save money there. It's the scenarios I have trouble with. Do you actually have to sit down for however long and figure things all different ways to save the most money? That's why I'm always so afraid to shop there. The times I have shopped there, I've cost myself a fortune because I didn't know what I was doing.

I'd like to get several additional items, at least and most certainly the other 10 colors of the Shadow Softies @ $4.99 (regular) and some makeup remover wipes @ $6.29 (regular) while they're BOGO 50% off. I'm trying to figure out if I need to add an item/s to my trxn because so often the subtotal (before coupons) comes to $14.98 and I have these $5/15 coupons to use. Do you think they'd take it if I were $.02 short? (Maybe I could give them my two cents worth to makeup the difference? Sorry... couldn't help myself!) Or do you think it would it be YMMV?

I really, really appreciate you guys. Thanks in advance and again, please don't be afraid to "constructively critique" (LOL) what I did.

Last edited by little.chickadee; 04-15-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 PM

couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!couponb1991 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Just one woman's opinion. I never by Almay when ECB's are not attached. It makes the deals a little more tedious BUT I get the most bang for my buck. Granted my store takes all expireds for 30 days, so I can do that! If they didn't I probably would regroup.

Imo, u did good. Most people's goal is to get ECB and roll them from week to week. After awhile you will already be able to figure out what is a good deal to buy each week. You will also know what u will only get if u get it free or if provides overage (oral products being #1 on that list!).

Nobody started out as a pro! I didn't Sooooooo much money in the beginning that I cringe @the thought now!

Last edited by couponb1991; 04-15-2015 at 08:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to couponb1991 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 AM

My Mood/Status:
If you wanted/ needed those items now, you did great. You spent less than you would have at the box stores, that is a win.

FYI, the register will accept $/$$ coupons at 98% the value, so you can use them if your total is $14.98. Sometimes the coupons arent correctly programmed and the register will reject the $/$$ coupon but, if that is the case, then the register would reject if you hit the $$ as well BUT the cashier may say that you not hitting the $$ is the reason and refuse the coupon. If that happens,I just ask to void the trxn and put the stuff back or try to come up with a better scenario. Most times (around here) cashier will just put it through.

I rarely plan out full scenarios. I used to but different pricing and stock issues would wreck my scenario almost every time so I stopped. What I do is list all the deals I am interested in with price, less coupons, pay price, what I get back in ECB. if there are a lot of items on my list I make a new list from most MMer to least. Then I go to the store and see what they have (I gather the items in my cart as I go). Then I look at what ECBs I am spending and see what deals fit in the best, again adding in the higher MMer deals first. I try to grow my ECBs almost every time I go to CVS so that when I need something I can just use my extra ECBs to buy those items HOWEVER I have an established stockpile and dont need to stock up on many things ever at anything other than the item's rock bottom price.

When I started out I would get as many items as I could at FREE or MMer (taking tax I have to pay into consideration). If I would soon be needing an item and I saw it at a lower price than I had ever gotten it before I would buy enough to get me through 3-6 months, figuring that the longer I was doing this the better prices I would get. If I urgently needed an item, I would buy 1 or as few as I needed to buy to secure the best deal in that current week. Many people keep price books and it is a great idea, especially when you are new. This way you know what the best price that you've ever seen is and you will also start to see patterns in when certain items are a better deal.

For this particular trxn what I would have done (since you indicate you have more 5/15 coupons) is add another 2 softies. Then you could have used another 2 $2 Almay coupons and another $5/15 coupon. You subtotal would have been $6.98. If you didnt know that you could use another $/$$ coupon in this trxn then I would suggest reading the 101 sub forum as there are a lot of little tips there for people that are new to CVS.

The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post: