For Those Who Dont Feel Right Auto Deducting Coupons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My dd works for cvs. And she told me so watching today. Now before I say this, remember all stores are not the same. So who knows if this happens at all stores. But I think it probably is. We were talking about auto deducting coupons. And how when it happens she says to a customer " oh it auto deducts". They then reply " oh you are not going to adjust it". She says no.
Now do you know why? She tells me the manager fills all of those coupons out. And she fills them out for whatever the Max amount on coupon says. She has been working at cvs since she could work. So been doing it a long time.

Just thought I would let you know, that if they adjust the coupon, they are probably pocketing the difference. Me ? I am fine if they adjust it. But ecstatic when they don't. And now I don't feel bad when they don't !!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 PM

RE: For those who dont feel right auto deducting coupons

Spring, spring, spring!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Interesting. Whenever I have had a cashier reduce the amount they have always written the amount in on the spot. I've never had them manually enter it and not fill it out.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Positive Thoughts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have always felt uncomfortable with the auto deduct or not. It feels like it wrong for them to not adjust it down, but now....well humm, thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to SJRoth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM

wildmaninstl has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazel View Post
Interesting. Whenever I have had a cashier reduce the amount they have always written the amount in on the spot. I've never had them manually enter it and not fill it out.
Same here
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wildmaninstl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM

guera185 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!guera185 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!guera185 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!guera185 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!guera185 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!guera185 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!guera185 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
This used to bother me a too, but I've heard this exact same thing from several different places. If they're going to get max. value for the Q, no reason it shouldn't be applied to my cart.

Cashiers at a couple of my stores have told me that they've been specifically instructed not to adjust down the Qs when they AD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guera185 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!chrisnsal has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
It seems grocery stores right the amount down. But for the most part I don't see drug stores doing so. But that's just my view. But they are the only ones I have seen do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisnsal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
well this is not always true if they dont auto deduct the amount for me I ALWAYS watch to see if they write the amount in the box right in front of me. My CVS will NOT auto deduct anytime. So I never figure it in my planning. So no suprises when it comes down to doing any deals for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1coupondawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Loving Football Season!

My Mood/Status:
tresositos has posted more than 400 great deals!tresositos has posted more than 400 great deals!tresositos has posted more than 400 great deals!tresositos has posted more than 400 great deals!tresositos has posted more than 400 great deals!
I used the first Digiorno coupons at Target. when they auto-deducted, the cashier called the manager over and she told her to adjust it down. I (nicely) said "Target gets reimbursed for the maximum value." Her reply? "We know that." If the manufacturer is going to reimburse for max value, it should go to the customer. I didn't void the transaction or anything, but I used my new Digiorno and Advil Qs today at CVS instead, for that reason.
(DS13)
(DD8) and
(DD6)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tresositos For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM

AFC Forum Leader for CVS

My Mood/Status:
missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!missdanalu has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I hate to throw around the F word but how can a store claim they sold a product for $7.01 when it was actually only $5?

Anyways, that's between the store and the manufacturer. AFC site Admins have said auto deduction is fine so that's what we use as the basis for match ups and such.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to missdanalu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Spring, spring, spring!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresositos
I used the first Digiorno coupons at Target. when they auto-deducted, the cashier called the manager over and she told her to adjust it down. I (nicely) said "Target gets reimbursed for the maximum value." Her reply? "We know that." If the manufacturer is going to reimburse for max value, it should go to the customer. I didn't void the transaction or anything, but I used my new Digiorno and Advil Qs today at CVS instead, for that reason.
"We know that." Whooooaaaaa! So the manager just admitted to defrauding Digiorno! She admitted knowing she will get the max value despite charging the customer less. To be very unladylike, that takes balls! I would have called corporate about that. If Digiorno knew, I bet they could fight Target about what they will reimburse them.

Positive Thoughts

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by missdanalu
I hate to throw around the F word but how can a store claim they sold a product for $7.01 when it was actually only $5?

Anyways, that's between the store and the manufacturer. AFC site Admins have said auto deduction is fine so that's what we use as the basis for match ups and such.
I agree. I just wanted people to know how some of the stores MAY be doing. Like I said I am sure that are not all. But it just makes me feel better that they are getting what they gave me. But I'm like you that is between them. And I know the admin said it was fine. But just wanted the people who might think its wrong , to see what some of the stores might do.
But yes, everyone please do what you feel is right. It's up to everyone to decide what they think is ethical or not. But as for me, knowing that they are getting the money back, makes me personally fell better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisnsal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Spring, spring, spring!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by missdanalu

Lol, our brains were clearly in the same ace when we were posting!

Positive Thoughts

The Following User Says Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM

Spring, spring, spring!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnsal

I agree. I just wanted people to know how some of the stores MAY be doing. Like I said I am sure that are not all. But it just makes me feel better that they are getting what they gave me. But I'm like you that is between them. And I know the admin said it was fine. But just wanted the people who might think its wrong , to see what some of the stores might do.
But yes, everyone please do what you feel is right. It's up to everyone to decide what they think is ethical or not. But as for me, knowing that they are getting the money back, makes me personally fell better.
Another perspective could be that the manufacturer is paying for the store's mistake. The coupon gives a max value, not a set value. Why should the manufacturer pay for the cashiers not ringing correctly? I think it all comes down to training, I certainly don't blame the cashiers. I would rather the stores train their cashiers or pay for the lack of training. Not to be argumentative and I love cvs and 99% of the cashiers, just another perspective.

Positive Thoughts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!shopforfree123 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My store cashier said, they get a letter have to reduce the amount , I know she is lie
The Following User Says Thank You to shopforfree123 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM

bendaline has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!bendaline has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!bendaline has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!bendaline has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!bendaline has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!bendaline has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
My stores always write down the exact price from the receipt prior to the end of the transaction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bendaline For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
If you know a store will reduce the value and are annoyed that they dont fill in the correct price, why dont you just fill in the price yourself. You can always claim that you are trying to be helpful so that they dont need to look it up. Just a suggestion.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!maryccc has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was waiting all day for some cashier to adjust it but not one did!!! They didn't even blink an eye. I feel so much better now knowing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to maryccc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM

paly1 has posted more than 150 good deals!paly1 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Another perspective is if the manufacturers want to protect their value of the coupon they need not compute a maximum value to auto deduct - the register should prompt an amount every time which must be written in the box...

At the moment I am quite happy they don't

Sent from my iPhone using AFullCup
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paly1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
Chase121698 has posted more than 300 great deals!Chase121698 has posted more than 300 great deals!Chase121698 has posted more than 300 great deals!Chase121698 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I have heard this also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chase121698 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
lcdunlea has posted more than 75 good deals!
I have not felt bad about auto deduct, because I know that the store is being reimbursed for the whole amount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcdunlea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM

afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!afiveash has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't really feel bad about it, because IMO correct me if I'm wrong, but why do some coupons autodeduct, some coupons ask for the price and some deduct just the price.

ie.

Unilever/P&G autodeduct full amount.
Good n Natural Bars had a thing pull up for the actual price of the product.
John Frieda coupons deduct the actual coupon amount with nothing be inputted.

It all has to do with the coupon coding I think and if a manufacturer didn't want it to auto deduct, then they should fix that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afiveash For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM

hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
The PX will not auto and they will not let you use overage to purchase other items. They take the $$ and use it for MWR (morale, welfare). They told me that. They won't give me the $$ but they sure do take it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotrodswife For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM

Brandie23

brandierivera23 has posted more than 300 great deals!brandierivera23 has posted more than 300 great deals!brandierivera23 has posted more than 300 great deals!brandierivera23 has posted more than 300 great deals!
My CVS just depends on who is working, my two favorite cashiers always let it auto deduct, but then I get some who adjust it down. I always plan for it too be adjusted down just so I don;t have any surprises.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14
The Following User Says Thank You to brandierivera23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM

Spring, spring, spring!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paly1
Another perspective is if the manufacturers want to protect their value of the coupon they need not compute a maximum value to auto deduct - the register should prompt an amount every time which must be written in the box...

At the moment I am quite happy they don't

Sent from my iPhone using AFullCup
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiveash
I don't really feel bad about it, because IMO correct me if I'm wrong, but why do some coupons autodeduct, some coupons ask for the price and some deduct just the price.

ie.

Unilever/P&G autodeduct full amount.
Good n Natural Bars had a thing pull up for the actual price of the product.
John Frieda coupons deduct the actual coupon amount with nothing be inputted.

It all has to do with the coupon coding I think and if a manufacturer didn't want it to auto deduct, then they should fix that.
These are excellent points. It is a shame a manufacturer would have to code things this way but it obviously can be done. Okay, I slightly take back my initial perspective and give auto deduct responsibility equally to manufacturers and stores!

Positive Thoughts

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM

Grounded for Life

couponing5150 has posted more than 150 good deals!couponing5150 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnsal View Post
It seems grocery stores right the amount down. But for the most part I don't see drug stores doing so. But that's just my view. But they are the only ones I have seen do it.
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Every drug store I shop at enters the amount the Q is scanned for.
The Following User Says Thank You to couponing5150 For This Useful Post: