I Wanna Save Big!! Money Saving Tips, Please!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Looking to set a savings record
Saving for a car

My Mood/Status:
mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!
I wanna save big!! Money saving tips, please!!

I keep reading about wonderful people saving tons of money shopping and even though I try the best I have ever done is 40%. And the only way I did that was by using $10/50 that I recieved from my baby bucks (shoprite). The problem is that I don't get these all of the time, so I am stuck saving about 20%. I work hard to gather q's for what I use. I would love to get some tips from some of the people who do really well regularly. I can shop at Pathmark, Acme, Shoprite and Superfresh, Target, CVS, Walmart and Walgreens. Help me to develop a plan to save more money. Thank you all in advance for all of your tips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Binders are the best.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM

RE: I wanna save big!! Money saving tips, please!!

is waiting for her DS to visit 3/27
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Does any of your grocery store's double or triple Q's? There is a 5/20 out for tomorrow on Wag's. Check out the thread on that and you can pick up some good ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to lifeworthliving For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM

Saving for a car

My Mood/Status:
mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!mommyhope has posted more than 300 great deals!
All of my grocery stores double coupons everyday.

Binders are the best.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM

tired

My Mood/Status:
tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!tootsie roll has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Though it will take some work initially, I would make a list of the price you pay for items you purchase every week, and try to find the store that has the best price on that item.

I do most of my grocery shopping at Super Walmart, but I know the prices of the items I normally purchase there (yogurt, butter, bread, etc).

Some stores will have sales that may look like a great deal, but I always figure in coupons and doubling / tripling to see if the final cost is less than what I pay at WM with a coupon.

For instance, I buy 2 half-gallons of Silk soy milk a week. I pay 2.86 for it at Walmart (or .61 after the 2.25 manu printable). Target has a printable silk soy milk q and I can use it along with the 2.25 manu printable. Target sells it for 2.99, but after subtracting 2.75, I can get it for .24. Anytime I go to Target while the T silk coupon is valid, I will be sure to pick some up.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Ghandi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tootsie roll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM

is out shopping
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!tripindog has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Be sure to factor in the fact that you are shopping at other stores. Say you bought the Colgate toothpaste this week at CVS. It was $2.99, and let's say you had the $1.50 printable coupon, then got back $2 in ECB, so it was free. Well, now that you got free toothpaste, you won't have to buy it at the grocery store. So, when you're figuring out how much you saved at ShopRite, remember you also saved $3 that's not on your receipt because you didn't buy toothpaste. If you combine ALL your shopping trips and savings, not just what is on one receipt, you will see better savings and that will make you feel better.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripindog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2008, 12:41 PM

Saving for a car

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripindog View Post
Be sure to factor in the fact that you are shopping at other stores. Say you bought the Colgate toothpaste this week at CVS. It was $2.99, and let's say you had the $1.50 printable coupon, then got back $2 in ECB, so it was free. Well, now that you got free toothpaste, you won't have to buy it at the grocery store. So, when you're figuring out how much you saved at ShopRite, remember you also saved $3 that's not on your receipt because you didn't buy toothpaste. If you combine ALL your shopping trips and savings, not just what is on one receipt, you will see better savings and that will make you feel better.
Great idea!! I never would have thought about that. And boy did I clean up the other day at CVS!

Binders are the best.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I always look at the ad for the grocery store online or in print and match my coupons. Remember when something is buy 1 get 1 free you can use 2 1.00 (or whatever amount the coupon is for) off or 1 $2.00 off any 2 products. I used to forget that.

I know how to use scissors; give me free stuff!
The Following User Says Thank You to armympwife For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM

mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mtalk has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyhope View Post
All of my grocery stores double coupons everyday.
That's amazing! Are their prices somewhat higher then? The only store we have that doubles in sometimes Rainbow, with very picky rules... I can't imagine doubling all the time!
The Following User Says Thank You to mtalk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM

is trying to figure out the "new" AFC.
Addicted to Couponing

My Mood/Status:
scrollic has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!scrollic has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!scrollic has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!scrollic has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!scrollic has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!scrollic has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!scrollic has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I tend to buy toiletries (ie. toliet paper, paper towels, health and beauty products) at CVS and WAGS because of their promotions. I just can't seem to find good deals on that stuff at the grocery store. I often stick to just groceries when I shop at Publix. Maybe some day we will be able to have double/triple coupons.

SAHM to Jacob, Jenna, and Nathan
The Following User Says Thank You to scrollic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 PM

Couponing Since 05!
Coupon Addict & Lovin It!

My Mood/Status:
applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
You are very lucky you get to double everyday! Thats a real gift.

Just keep working at it. Even saving 20% every trip you make can save you hundreds or thousands a year!

[b]Wife to Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to applerama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2008, 02:06 PM

AFC Star Member

fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!fluffkin79 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
For me anyways, there are 2 kinds of shopping trips. When I go out to take advantage of great sales/coupons I can save huge %'s. On those trips I am usually just adding to my stockpile, often with products and brands that I would not buy if not for the deal. My goal on these trips is $0.01 OOP - cashiers sometimes get flustered if you go negative!

Then there is the other kind of shopping. The kind I do once a week where I check our cupboards and see what we need to get through the week. This is when I buy produce, bread, milk and other stuff that we need, sale or no. Of course I try to plan meals around sales, coupons and what we have in the cupboards and freezer, but we need what we need - sale or no. I am usually lucky to save 25% on that trip.

But when you put them together I spend less now, and get more, than before I started deal shopping. And the more I add to my stockpile, the less I have to spend at the grocery store. For example, this week I spent $20 on groceries for my family of 5. All we needed was rice, bread, fresh fruit and veggies, milk, and the fish sticks that the kids begged for (had them at at friend's house and now love them, ). Everything else for this week's meals will come out of the stockpile. Before I started couponing I spent about $100 every week.
The Following User Says Thank You to fluffkin79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffkin79 View Post
For me anyways, there are 2 kinds of shopping trips. When I go out to take advantage of great sales/coupons I can save huge %'s. On those trips I am usually just adding to my stockpile, often with products and brands that I would not buy if not for the deal. My goal on these trips is $0.01 OOP - cashiers sometimes get flustered if you go negative!

Then there is the other kind of shopping. The kind I do once a week where I check our cupboards and see what we need to get through the week. This is when I buy produce, bread, milk and other stuff that we need, sale or no. Of course I try to plan meals around sales, coupons and what we have in the cupboards and freezer, but we need what we need - sale or no. I am usually lucky to save 25% on that trip.

But when you put them together I spend less now, and get more, than before I started deal shopping. And the more I add to my stockpile, the less I have to spend at the grocery store. For example, this week I spent $20 on groceries for my family of 5. All we needed was rice, bread, fresh fruit and veggies, milk, and the fish sticks that the kids begged for (had them at at friend's house and now love them, ). Everything else for this week's meals will come out of the stockpile. Before I started couponing I spent about $100 every week.
I was going to say something similar about there being 2 different kinds of shopping trips. I don't usually post when I go out for our needs shopping because it's just not that exciting (percentage wise).

I used to struggle with this too. I would think "so-so saves 80% on a basket full of groceries." When I said this I was picturing a basket full of produce, meat, HBA, condiments, etc But now I understand these are usually more stockpiling trips.

For instance, this morning I went to the grocery store (which doubles everything up to $1.00). I bought chicken breasts, Lawry's marinade, kool-aid, american cheese slices, milk, peaches, a roast dinner thingy (pre-cooked roast that you just heat and eat), and eggs. I had around 55% savings on that trip. This was a mix of needs shopping that I didn't want to run to another store for and stocking up (marinade and cheese was the stocking up part).

I could have absolutely gone to the store this morning and filled a cart with Lawry's marinade (which was free after coupons) and had a tremendous savings percentage. But sadly, marinade alone does not a meal make!

I hope that makes sense! Good question!

Linz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM

is searching for deals on AFC!
AFC User

My Mood/Status:
MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MaxxMe has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yep, stockpiling is your friend. Whatever you can load up on that you get dirt cheap now, is something you won't be paying more for later on. I've found getting my hands on extra coupons for items we use lots of is EXTREMELY cost effective. Some are lucky enough to be able to dumpster dive or hit recycling centers, but that isn't an option here for me. Sooner or later, you'll end up just filling in holes in your stockpile for your weeks shopping along with meat, produce and dairy. I rarely spend over $50-$60 a week now, and used to spend way over $200.

I find I get my best deals on BOGO items in the grocery stores that can be combined with coupons, if that helps any.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaxxMe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Saving for a car

My Mood/Status:
The things that you ladies have shared make a big difference and a lot of sense. Now I feel a lot better about the trips that I am making.

Binders are the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommyhope For This Useful Post:

Tags
big, money, save, saving, tips, wanna