My First Dumpster Dive!

Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Katanagari has posted more than 25 good deals
My first dumpster dive!

I crawled around in a dumpster today! I have to come here to celebrate, because my family would freak out if they knew.

We have a few recycling centers in my city that have special paper dumpsters, so I didn't have to get messy, other than ink all over my fingers! The first one I went to on Sunday morning...I was too chicken to get in, because the dumpster is in the parking lot of a strip mall and there's a ton of traffic. There was one opening to the dumpster that had paper piled up within reach, so I just reached in and rummaged around for anything in arm's reach. I got about five inserts that way (actually seven, but two of them were way expired).

When I checked the second recycling site on the other end of town, I found that it was in a nice private area with no one around...SO I CLIMBED IN. It was scary, but fun too! Luckily no one tried to dump anything while I was in there, but a lady walked past and looked at me right as I was climbing out. I just gave her a big smile and said hi. LOL!

I ended up with quite a few coupons, and it was actually fun. I can't wait to go again! Now I just have to sneak a big pile of scrambled inserts into the house without anyone seeing...
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Katanagari For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM

RE: My first dumpster dive!

Couponing Since 05!
Coupon Addict & Lovin It!

My Mood/Status:
applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
haha I can just imagine you climbing out and a horrified lady haha

Good Score with finding inserts!

"Mom" to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jonnie & Jennie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to applerama For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Hey do what you have to. Too bad it's illegal in my town (although I doubt I would get caught). My stepmom used to dive @ walgreens for products that were discontinued, etc and then they just started leaving all the stuff in front of the dumpster and then she's take what she want and throw the rest in. Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elle13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM

is excited to see the sun !!!

My Mood/Status:
CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CHERYL S has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM

mom2patrick has posted more than 10 good deals
good score on inserts. I wish there was a recycle bin near me
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Awesome! I wish I could do that! I don't know where a recycling CENTER is around here. I know some bins at the fire stations but I was recently told they've put up cameras for illegal dumping of trash and they're all on or right off of main roads.
, Gavin
, and Adell
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM

paigepotts has posted more than 10 good deals
Great Work!!! Got to LOVE dumpster diving!!! My kids argue about who is gonna get in.. But becareful I got stuck in one awhile back at my work now they have a ladder in there for me!!! haha
The Following User Says Thank You to paigepotts For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 PM

If you are looking for a recycling dumpster I teach and all our schools have one...
Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 AM

This is me when a find a great coupon

My Mood/Status:
coupiez4me has posted more than 300 great deals!coupiez4me has posted more than 300 great deals!coupiez4me has posted more than 300 great deals!coupiez4me has posted more than 300 great deals!
Sounds fun I always love reading these.I went to RA the other day and there was a lady with one of those reachy grab things,and when I was checking out she was returning the items she had just found in the dupster.Pepto, ect.They asked her for the reciept but she just kept saying something in spanish and everyone was asking if anyone spoke spanish,so the mgr said just give her a refund...They would have died if they knew she just got them out of thier own dumpster..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coupiez4me For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!savcoupon has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupiez4me View Post
Sounds fun I always love reading these.I went to RA the other day and there was a lady with one of those reachy grab things,and when I was checking out she was returning the items she had just found in the dupster.Pepto, ect.They asked her for the reciept but she just kept saying something in spanish and everyone was asking if anyone spoke spanish,so the mgr said just give her a refund...They would have died if they knew she just got them out of thier own dumpster..
I can't believe you didn't say anything.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 AM

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I kinda miss dumpster diving I used to go late at night to store's dumsters and find some neat-o things, excepting a lot of stores have switched to the automatic dumpsters where they send in their garbage through a tube inside of the store, and it all gets put into an automatic compactor type of thing instead of a regular dumpster.

Since I bought my house I've thought of going walking around early on trash day to see what interesting things my neighbors may be throwing away, but then I chicken out because a) I don't want to walk alone and I don't think my husband would been too keen on going with and b) everyone has alleyways that the garbage cans are set out in.

But anyways good job!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 AM

prettyday25 has posted more than 10 good deals
That's crazy that lady was returning items!! Maybe they should mark their items they throw away or something. I get my inserts because all of the schools have recycling bins for paper. I would never have the guts to get into one. My mom found a dead dog in one. Ahh! I just grab what I can and even then I'm nervous someone will walk up and confront me.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM

to do list... to do list...
Book Nerd in love with Coupons!

My Mood/Status:
ERonica1 has posted more than 10 good deals
I want to do this so much but I just haven't gotten up the nerve yet. Maybe I need to find someone to go with me as a lookout!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!kaedeebug has posted more than 400 great deals!
my hubby has scored big at a local store remodeling. Brand new carpet pieces, chairs, doors, mirrors. now i don't know what we will do with it all but pretty cool stuff.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM

melissa829
I live in a pretty big neighborhood where all the houses have individual recycling bins. I Think I might have to walk around and have a look in them!! I just hope I don't get caught!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
amber90 has posted more than 50 good deals
Last week I called my local paper and they told me that their recycle dumpster was inside the building. The lady I spoke with told me I could go in and get the inserts I wanted, after they threw away the papers. I called this morning to double check on it and this lady said that I couldn't do that.....

Where else could I call around town to find out if they recycle the newspapers or how do I find out where they end up?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 AM

My Mood/Status:
becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!becky80 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are usually recycle bins at Albertsons and WalMart if you have any in your area. Our newspaper place lets us dig through the recycle bins behind the building. We go every Monday and score big time!
The Following User Says Thank You to becky80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 03:10 PM

to do list... to do list...
Book Nerd in love with Coupons!

My Mood/Status:
ERonica1 has posted more than 10 good deals
great idea, Melissa!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Recyle bins are normally behind churches,schools and sometimes at Kroger too
Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM

syanew has posted more than 200 great deals!syanew has posted more than 200 great deals!syanew has posted more than 200 great deals!
I keep thinking I may go on a dive but I haven't worked up the courage yet.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I haven't been dumpster diving but have been a look out..,, Wendy's had a promotion a few years back - turn in coupons from cups & get a free airline ticket. So.... I sent my bf in - well - a kid (wendy's worker) comes out to bring garbage and I do not know how to warn bf - the kid (wendy's worker) comes out of garbage and goes into the store. 5 minutes later he comes back out with another worker and food. It was dark bf was in black clothes etc. They thought he was looking for food! So he gets all the cups - gets back in his Mercedes(irony but that is the kind of car he had) and we drive off with his free food and enough cups for 8 free airline tickets!!!
We were washing cups and cutting the coupons out for 2 days - but for 8 free airline tickets - worth and we never laughed so hard!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuse71cuse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM

dshops has posted more than 1 good deal
Way to go! It sounds so exciting and the rewards will be worth it!!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM

melissa829
Ok. So I took a walk around my neighborhood last night because today is recycling day. No luck! I might get up the courage to head to some newspaper recycling locations next week..
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
adrka has posted more than 1 good deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katanagari View Post
I crawled around in a dumpster today! I have to come here to celebrate, because my family would freak out if they knew.

We have a few recycling centers in my city that have special paper dumpsters, so I didn't have to get messy, other than ink all over my fingers! The first one I went to on Sunday morning...I was too chicken to get in, because the dumpster is in the parking lot of a strip mall and there's a ton of traffic. There was one opening to the dumpster that had paper piled up within reach, so I just reached in and rummaged around for anything in arm's reach. I got about five inserts that way (actually seven, but two of them were way expired).

When I checked the second recycling site on the other end of town, I found that it was in a nice private area with no one around...SO I CLIMBED IN. It was scary, but fun too! Luckily no one tried to dump anything while I was in there, but a lady walked past and looked at me right as I was climbing out. I just gave her a big smile and said hi. LOL!

I ended up with quite a few coupons, and it was actually fun. I can't wait to go again! Now I just have to sneak a big pile of scrambled inserts into the house without anyone seeing...
hehehe sounds like a lot of fun... i wonder what the lady was thinking when she saw you LOL

adrka
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 PM

Misseye69 has posted more than 5 good deals
I must say these are a lot of great stores, and i'm hoping to learn anything i can from this site, so thanks everyone. I'm a mom of two and trying to save every penny i can. But anyway, one day i was drvining in the back of the local staples and there was these carts with tons of there damaged stuff. Well i ended up going back a few times that night. I got about 50 really great pens, tons of paper, 60 blank cd, markers and a lot of lil thinks. I guess if a package is open or missing a few things, they wont sell it.

Tags
dumpster