I've Got My Coupons Clipped And Sorted...now What?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
at work...heheh...surfing AFC!

My Mood/Status:
nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Help Sign I've got my coupons clipped and sorted...now what?!

I'm starting to get extremely frustrated because I get 20+ inserts a week. I have tons of coupons. They are clipped and ready to go but I feel I end up throwing 95% of them away because they expire before I get to use them. I'm having a hard time finding the deals that match my coupons. Tonight however, I finally worked up the nerve to use the $1 Tide at Target, I only used 5 to 'fly under the radar', the worked fine...didn't beep at all!! I guess my question is, how on earth do i make these coupons work for me!

I have CVS,Rite Aid,Walgreens,Walmart,Target, Food Lion, Harris Teeter and Commisary near me, so i know i have NO EXCUSE for not having an amazing stockpile!

EDITED CVS QUESTION TO AVOID DEBATE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaleb;2 and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alexis; 8.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nene0784 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM

RE: I've got my coupons clipped and sorted...now what?!

hummmmm.......
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
How are you organizing your coupons? Are you bringing your coupons with you everytime you go shopping, or only taking what you need?

The topic of the CVS card is going to start a huge debate. Just to warn you.

I use the binder method with the baseball card holders. I take it with me everytime I shop. You never know when you will come across a great deal, unadvertised special, or clearance.

We all have coupons that expire before we are able to use them. But, have you checked into all of your stores to make sure that none of them take expired coupons? I know your walmart, target, and kmart don't, but some grocery stores do.

Military families over seas can use them also. LINK HERE For that info.

Offer your expired coupons in the AFC trading post, many members here can use them.

Lynda

Last edited by Lynda1811; 07-16-2009 at 07:48 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lynda1811 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nene0784 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I do use the binder,baseball card method. I don't take it everytime. I stopped taking it to walmart especially becuase i'm always accused of stealing...i know, stupid and i should probably stand my ground.

I feel better about the expired coupon thing. When i look at pics and read stories i feel like i'm missing out HUGE!

I deleted my CVS question to avoid a debate. I don't want to burn bridges! Thank you sooooo much!!!!
Kaleb;2 and
Alexis; 8.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nene0784 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM

hummmmm.......
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Lynda1811 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
One thing you shouldn't do is compaire your trips to the store to others here. Especially if you are just starting out.

Most of us have a stockpile and have been doing it for a while. I personally do not consider buying 15 bottles of kraft dressing a shopping trip. To me that is a stockpiling trip.

Everyone has different needs for their families. What I need and use in my house hold, you might not even buy.

Don't rush the savings, and stockpiling. I found out the hard way and over spent big time. I read, read, and read all the stores that I shop, if I see someone is finding something on clearance, I jot it down and then I can be on the look out for it as well.

I know that all stores are different on what is marked down or clearanced, but If we all post what we find, others can look also, and get in on the deal.

If you have any questions, I'm here to help.

Lynda
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lynda1811 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think I read your earlier thread about being accused of stealing a binder at Walmart. How absurd. How about putting a bunch of stickers on there with your phone # so it doesn't look brand new. That is just lame because they have surveillance and would be able to see you walk in with it.

(I don't know what the prob with the cvs card thing is b/c I guess it was deleted...)

Anyhoo, I get 20 plus inserts a week myself, and I organize them in filing cabinets and don't pre-clip them unless I know I am going to be using them. That way I don't waste too much time. However, I do look at them so I have a mental note of what I have.

What you do, is start reading the price matching/sale threads a week early or so so you can get your coupons ready for the upcoming sale. In my personal opinion having too many coupons pre-clipped (unless have a LOT of extra time clip and sort over 20 inserts ) can get overwhelming.

I organize my stacks of inserts by week, so I can easily pull out the stack that corrosponds w/ the sale. The coupon locator will tell you which insert a particular coupon is in. And my coupon folder is organized by store and I have a different slot for different weekly sales/coupons.

(Don't laugh--I have a 1 and a 2 year old and don't have a huge time to organize this!!)

You will need to go thru your coupons every so often and either donate to the military or toss out the exipreds. And, if there are things that you don't personally need but think you could trade for, you might want to look into that too.

Good luck. Everyone has their own system, so you will ultimately have to figure out what system works the best for you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hotmama111 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
i think i do have the problem of rushing. I'm just so darn excited!!! i am so glad i caught on to this now before my little ones are still little and have only been married for 4 years! I guess by the time we've been married for 10 years and the kids are teenagers i should finally get a good grasp on this cou[pning thing! LOL....
Kaleb;2 and
Alexis; 8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nene0784 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 07:59 PM

is thankful for holidays that bring family home

My Mood/Status:
brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
you need to study the ads for the stores when they come out each week and try to match Qs with sales or store Qs for max benefit

start small...maybe a few target items or stores

stockpile doesn't happen overnight, but bit-by-bit
-
- - Brook6 - -
-
-
- -

> - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - >
-
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brook6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Happy Fall Y'all!

My Mood/Status:
Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Couponclipper003 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My recommendation is to always take your binder w/you. You are already ahead of the game by having a binder . Have you tried looking at the store shopping lists? They will show you what is on sale that week at the store and will tell you what the matching coupon combinations are! I use the AFC Shopping Lists a lot . Maybe clipping all your q's is too much. I know it sounds awesome to say they are all clipped but I do have some full inserts that I leave in the front of my binder...sometimes it is easier/quicker to just look at a full uncut insert. Give it some time...you will figure out what works for YOU! Just don't give up or get frustrated. Sounds like you are off to an awesome start!

~ Proud Mommy to Madison & Mason (My M&M's) & Wife to Jeremy ~

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Couponclipper003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 03:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
i feel so much better. You guys are AWESOME!! I just thought I was missing something because I saw pics of people that said "been couping since Nov. 08" and there house is flooded!!! LOL. Ohwell, i really should just calm down...especially since i have over 50 bath buddies,20 toothpaste,16 razors. LOL. I just get so excited!!!!!
Kaleb;2 and
Alexis; 8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nene0784 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 AM

Cheapest Dad (& Mom)

My Mood/Status:
pgree3 has posted more than 75 good deals!
I see alot of posters on this list use the binder/baseball card insert method! I think that is so cool. I never thought of that. I did see the 'whole insert' method on "couponmom", but haven't tried that either. Right now, I clip, put in envelopes, write the name, # of coupons, and exp date (in pencil) on top left hand side and file alphabetically. I store in a 8X11 file box (used to use for recipes). I just load that in a tote w/ all my grocery bags & take it to the store. Mainly, I'm just reusing what I alredy had - WAY too many envelopes!

I have to say, though - I have a big crush on the binder idea! I think I need a binder coupon!

Thanks again for all the ideas and tips. This place is great!

The Cheapest Dad (& Mom) on the Block
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pgree3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
anneh has posted more than 100 good deals!anneh has posted more than 100 good deals!
Nene,
I know how you feel~ I have had to go slowly with the process. Sometimes I have a lot of time to devote to couponing, but when work gets hectic- I can't get as involved with the coupons.
sometimes I wonder when someone posts that there is a coupon on a Tacos box, " why can't I find it when I want the deal?" I guess if I can find just a few deals at a time, then it is worth it to me.
My good deal for today is:
I finally found Bumble bee tuna packets at Target and got all 10 of them, even though i only had 7 coupons. I used the Norelco coupon for $20 off for electric razors today ( the price dropped from $38 to $34.88, so I got it for $14.88) to me it was a great deal, because we have 3 sons and the Oldest(out of house) has even told me- "if you find a good deal on a elec razor- pick me up one! Sometimes the price is relative to what the item is, my sons were so glad this afternoon-when I showed them.
Hopefully, you will feel satisfied with some of the items you get, and will keep plugging away. One day we can share our stock piles too- it just might take longer
Wishing you the best!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anneh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM

nickle and diming my way to being debt free

My Mood/Status:
jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanettebr has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
It really does get easier the longer you do this. I remember when I first started I would get so confused with all the deals and trying to find them in my area...sometimes it was impossible! Once you become familiar with your stores in your area that will start to help too.
I personally don't buy very many newspapers for inserts anymore. When I first started I bought 4 or more but realized very quickly that I wouldn't use half of those Q's! I felt so bad throwing all those Q's away....it felt like I was throwing $$ away! I would either not want the product or not have a deal to use the Q with (I have no stores that double which makes it even harder!)Now I only get 1 newspaper unless there are really good Q's in it....then I might get 1-2 more and just get the rest of my Q's online.

Here's what I do.....I get the ad previews for each store as soon as they are posted here and someone always adds Q's/scenerios to go with the deals....so I either cut the Q's I have, print the ones I can and trade/buy the ones I need online. Since I get the ad preview sometimes a week or two before the sale I have plenty of time to get ready!
I also use a binder to keep all the Q's I do have organized. Start with stores like CVS and WAGS and get their freebies each week and their cheap with Q bargains (find these by reading the threads posted for each week in the CVS and WAGS forums)
Then once you have that mastered move on and add in more stores. I started with WAGS and did that for over a month, added Walmart and have just now added CVS. (next for me is Target and Kmart)

Try not to get overwhelmed! You will start to see patterns in the deals that come up and it will get easier!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeanettebr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
anneh has posted more than 100 good deals!anneh has posted more than 100 good deals!
Jennette,

thanks for tips!
I may PM you for future scenarios to make sure I stay on track, esp with WAGS and CVS.

I went to Walmart today; my hubby had given me a Velveeta cheese coupon he had gotten from work- guess what it was counterfeit. wow, I had no idea!
I am sooooo glad I did not use it at my publix regular market, I would have been more embarassed. I am going to have to tell him what happened when he comes home today from work. He knows how hard i try to save a buck, here and there~

Thanks for encouragement~
Anne
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anneh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM

In the Lord, put your trust...
Shop Till Ya Drop

My Mood/Status:
dreamweaver236 has posted more than 200 great deals!dreamweaver236 has posted more than 200 great deals!dreamweaver236 has posted more than 200 great deals!
the best thing you can do is first off, sit down and get your coupons organized. i've got a binder and have mine sorted by store locations such as vons, target, rite aid, etc. that way i can keep them seperated, organized and easier to find. the other thing i enjoy too is comparing the savings on the coupon to find out each time what they are worth and collect as many as i can. thank goodness for coupons.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreamweaver236 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2009, 09:48 PM

My Mood/Status:
867popcorn5309 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Disclaimer: I didn't read over EVERY post because after the first few they start to blur together. It's late and I'm sleepy. LOL.

I take ALL of my coupons with me when I go shopping. It has saved my butt so many times. The one time I didn't bring it in with me, I luckily had it in the car. I pulled what I thought I needed, but once I got inside, I saw some mouthwash for $1.98 that I had a $1.00 off coupon for!!! I made my brother run outside and grab the binder while I kept shopping. Thank goodness it was there, or I would have missed out on the deal, which was not an advertised special, but instead was an end-cap markdown at Target because they had a slight overstock.

As for getting accused of stealing at Walmart... several people eyed me carrying in a binder, but I always open it and explain to the greeter, and then I keep it in the front part of the cart OPEN, so that way any person who considers stopping me realizes it's just my coupon holder...

As I think several people have said, donate expired coupons to the military bases overseas, if you can.

One thing I find helpful is when I buy the paper, I clip EVERY coupon in the inserts. After I sort through and get what I want, and my mom gets what she wants, then I list all of the ones I won't use on here. I never know what other people might need (I personally don't have a dog, and my mom's dog is old and has limited selection of the food she can eat, so I end the coupon clipping with a LOT of dog food q's, for example. Someone who has a dog but doesn't use a lot of shaving gel may decide to swap me some dog food coupons for the coupons I so desperately need for shaving gel). Swapping is a great tool. For me, I set aside any concealed cash I get to use on either buying an extra paper that week, or to swap for some q's I need on here. In my mind, the CC is no different than getting q's for a trade, and therefore should be used for more saving.

I don't know if any of that helped, but those are my tips.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 867popcorn5309 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Bethtoons has posted more than 200 great deals!Bethtoons has posted more than 200 great deals!Bethtoons has posted more than 200 great deals!
That's kinda just how it works. There are always going to be Qs that expire before the really great sale that would have paired up perfectly comes along. You have to be able to let them go. And there are going to be deals that are so good that the store can't keep up with the demand. It's all just part of playing the game.

You have to decide truly how much time and money and space and energy you're willing to devote to this and try to stay within those boundaries. Some weeks are going to be heavier than others. It's ok to let some deals slide, and it's ok to let Qs expire. And it's ok to go back to the store every day or a couple of times a day if the deal is good enough and you want to "fly under the radar" by not getting 20 or more of something all at one go.

The advice you're getting from the other posters above is sound. Everyone has to start somewhere, and even if you aren't devoting all that much time, energy, and money to it, the stockpile will sometimes just show up without you having really tried to make it happen. (says the person who has brownie mix and cereal and deoderant and shampoo and toothbrushes in her desk at work because there's no place for it to go at home right now)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethtoons For This Useful Post: