Welcome To Crafts!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM

RE: Welcome to Crafts!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
kaybee0624 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kaybee0624 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kaybee0624 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kaybee0624 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kaybee0624 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kaybee0624 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard2010
What immediately comes to my mind....if you sew, this could make smaller blankets, or a great filling for a new quilt.
I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe a new dog bed?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Depending on how worn out the quilt is, would you maybe sew the edges together to make a mock sleeping bag for someone to snuggle in on movie night? Or I thought of the smaller blanket/dog bed that others have suggested. Our house gets so cold that we keep an extra quilt or two near the couch as lap blankets. The one DH uses is pretty worn but he likes it.
Andrew, Mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mallory, Missy, Summer, Boo Dog, Maggie & Slick),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(George),
(Cajun, Sonny, Rooster) and of course many many
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM

My Mood/Status:
kfrankie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kfrankie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kfrankie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kfrankie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kfrankie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kfrankie has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Ways to reuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeane View Post
Any ideas on what a worn out comforter could be used for? I hate to just throw it away. I try to recycle as much as I can. Thanks.
My mom and grandma always put old blankets for the filling in a new quilt so I would think you could use it the same way saving money on batting for your quilt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kfrankie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Ok here's some before and after pics of a gift I upcycled. I had originally gotten these dairy cow planters from my SIL, HATED THEM. I don't decorate in dairy, worked at one, hated it too, so don't know what she was thinking. But anyways, I repainted them and gave them to a friend. The big one I painted to look like a cow her new DH had just bought her and the smaller one is painted in a "brindle" pattern to look like some of her calves she has. She got them Sat, I talked to her yesterday and she LOVED them. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I regifted to her and it cost me next to nothing. (Oh and brindle is simply a combo of red/brown/black hairs).

Hope the pic attachments work......

She actually told me I should get some more of them, paint them and sell at my craft shows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2244.jpg (190.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2245.jpg (185.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2250.jpg (195.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2251.jpg (178.1 KB, 16 views)
Andrew, Mom to
(George),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
The pics worked perfectly. The planters are gorgeous. I find this to be true to many times, one persons trash, is anothers treasure. You did a great job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizard2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM

sheedesignsoriginals has posted more than 50 good deals
The planters look a LOT better after your paint job And I can speak from experience, the EFFORT is such a wonderful gift!
The Following User Says Thank You to sheedesignsoriginals For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM

My Mood/Status:
Thank you!!! I was awful proud off them. But I almost had a disaster, I painted their bodies with acrylic paint and then put eyes on them with a Sharpie Paint marker. Then thought I should spray them with Shellac to help protect them. Well evidently Sharpie Paint Markers don't like Shellac cuz their eyeballs ran all over the place. Looked like a lady who had on non-waterproof mascara and then cried. I wiped off what I could, repainted the white part and then used the Sharpie Paint AFTER the Shellac had dried. But you can't tell anything went wrong, just took extra time.

Got some stuff at the craft store today, gonna make some graduation plaques to sell in town and on etsy. Will post pics.
Andrew, Mom to
(George),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
rbeane has posted more than 75 good deals!
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard2010 View Post
What immediately comes to my mind....if you sew, this could make smaller blankets, or a great filling for a new quilt.
Thanks Wizard2010. Both great ideas. I think I am going to try to use it for the filling on a quilt. Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to rbeane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Wizard2010 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Let us know how it works out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wizard2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybee0624 View Post
I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe a new dog bed?
Great idea! The dog got my daughter's. Why does it seem everything wears out at the same time?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polydoly13 View Post
Depending on how worn out the quilt is, would you maybe sew the edges together to make a mock sleeping bag for someone to snuggle in on movie night? Or I thought of the smaller blanket/dog bed that others have suggested. Our house gets so cold that we keep an extra quilt or two near the couch as lap blankets. The one DH uses is pretty worn but he likes it.
It may be too worn to make a sleeping bag, but I love that idea. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrankie View Post
My mom and grandma always put old blankets for the filling in a new quilt so I would think you could use it the same way saving money on batting for your quilt.
I think this is what it will get used for. Thanks for the idea. My grandmother gave me a quilt top she made several years before she passed. She used to make all of her grandkids quilts for Christmas, but arthritis prevented her from finishing the last ones.
I have had it packed up, (you know, wanting to preserve it), but I am going to get it out and finish it.
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbeane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 AM

My Mood/Status:
martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!martha8994 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Hi, I am Martha, obviously. I love to crochet and scrapbook. I live alone and I have plenty of time to craft IF I could stay off AFC and Facebook. I need to quit it and craft. My sister and I make crochet hats and sell them at craft shows. We do it together to split the cost of the fair fee, gas and hotel if needed. We do well but not well enough to supplement an income. I also have a photographer that I make props for. Right now I am working on some mini scrapbooks to sell at our next show. It is getting warmer and I am afraid hats are not going to sell as well as they did in the fall. So, going to try scrapbooks. I have tried to knit and was not successful. I did some cross stitch and plastic canvas but it just wasnt for me. I can not draw or paint at all. I can sew but it makes me want to curse... I made a quilt and I liked the end result but it was a lot of work. I am planning on making my oldest son a quilt in blue and my youngest son an afghan in dk green, their favorite colors. So, I have lots to do. My goal for tomorrow is to put in 8hrs of crafting. It is after all my "job".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martha8994 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 07:36 AM

summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
hi - i love to make beaded jewelry - i am having fun and would like to sell some next year at a craft show.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summertina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 AM

summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!summertina has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
i just tried a new thing and it is crochet beadwork - anyone do that?
The Following User Says Thank You to summertina For This Useful Post: