Couponing Class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 AM

RE: couponing class

Thankful for AFC and all my coupon buddies!!

My Mood/Status:
Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Isn't it a blessing that we are able to give things that are so useful to folks but it costs us just pennies on the dollar??!!
I am really interested in trying to find a way to profit from teaching a class. I am a military wife and I live in a town where about 70% of the residents are either military or retired military. It would be worth it for someone to pay $10 to come to my class. They would save that on their first trip out, right? I just don't know how to kick it off....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoppinglizzard For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 AM

Enjoying today!!

My Mood/Status:
couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
With the ecomony in the shape it is in. I think it is important to show anyone who ask how we shop with Q's and get alot of stuff free or cheap!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to couponmama62 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 06:15 AM

Enjoying today!!

My Mood/Status:
couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We send out coupons to the military base. I personally do not think you should charge to teach someone how to use coupons. Alot of people would not fork out the money right now to take a class. I know if someone said to me they were charging to teach me, and they learned from someone else (free) that's just not right. Sorry this is just how i feel.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:48 AM

loves Kroger!

My Mood/Status:
hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hoddie3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by couponmama62 View Post
We send out coupons to the military base. I personally do not think you should charge to teach someone how to use coupons. Alot of people would not fork out the money right now to take a class. I know if someone said to me they were charging to teach me, and they learned from someone else (free) that's just not right. Sorry this is just how i feel.

I agree. AFC doesn't charge us to be here, so why should we charge someone else?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD-5
DD-4 DS-3 DD- 19 months and DD- 5 months
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoddie3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 08:54 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

momto8kiddos has posted more than 50 good deals
Why I Charge for My Workshop

I don't understand why some feel that it is wrong to ask someone to pay for a class on couponing. I charge for my workshops. And here are my reasons for charging a fee:

1. A significant percentage of people will not value the information if they do not have to pay for it. Sad but true.

2. Charging for the class weeds out the people who will not benefit from the information. That way my time is not wasted. Most people want to save money but are not willing to put the effort forth to use coupons. Ive read this over and over on posts from people who have tried to teach their friends and family for free. People who have to pay for the information are more likely to be serious about it and willing to actually do it.

3. A significant percentage of people do not learn well from reading (as in this forum) and need or prefer a live person teaching them. We are all wired differently. The people who have successfully learned how to save boo-coo bucks from this site (or others) are probably visual learners. Audio and kinetic (hands-on) learners learn much better from a live workshop.

4. Expertise is worth money! There are plenty of teachers who get paid to teach what they learned on their own - photography, sewing, drawing, computer basics, labor techniques, basic auto repair, parenting, Microsoft Excel, medical transcription, cooking, conflict resolution. The list goes on and on. Just take a look at your local Adult & Continuing Education classes. Id venture to say that at least half of them you could teach yourself by reading about it.

5. Time is money. With 10 kids and a business Im busy. I cant give my time away for free.

6. I need the money! Nuf said on that.

If you choose to teach classes for free, more power to you! I charge for my classes and feel perfectly justified in doing so.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to momto8kiddos For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Enjoying today!!

My Mood/Status:
Not charging for something you know how to do, is like giving a blessing for those who need it the most!! It's like asking a friend for a recipe without them charging you for it. Like i said it's just how i feel. I too have kids, and help with a business, so i understand that point, but we teach coupon classes for FREE to help those in need. As far as teachers charging for classes well, it's up to the student to do their part. Anyone can teach, but the best teacher i had taught from the heart!! For FREE!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 AM

too busy
Crack Head Couponer

My Mood/Status:
jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jeanmpt has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
One of my co-workers was SUPER excited on Wednesday when the grocery ad's came out about the HT triples. Then realized she didn't have any coupons.

So, I told her on Monday that I would sit down with her and we would have couponing 101! I also told her that I would help stock her up on coupons - I have WAY too many right now!

Missing my Girlie Girl
and Hank
who are at the Rainbow Bridge.

IVDSO: Purina Dog Food Weight Circles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeanmpt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 10:26 AM

wants you to come bid on my auction!

My Mood/Status:
bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Since I had to go back to work I was sad that I wouldn't have the time to coupon anymore and blah blah blah, but one day I was looking for a coworker and another one told me that she was somewhere clipping coupons and I about peed I was so excited that someone else did it! So I talked to her and she told me that another lady here was the CVS queen and so I had to find out more. come to find out she was good at CVS but not the queen. (I hold that title) hehe, but I have been "teaching" and sharing my coupons with her now for a while and just started with another one! I have a lot of coupons myself so I don't mind giving out a few and I am at work anyway so it is all Work time.

I am glad that when I get a good deal I have AFC, the friend that brought me here and now two others ladies to tell about my deals as my DH doesn't want to hear it.

I think it is ok to charge for a coupon class, but there are many people that think it isn't and too each their own!

I thought about being a personal shopper, then thought why would someone pay me to do what they can already do on their own, but I know there is an opportunity there!

sorry so long.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bargainshopper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM

Enjoying today!!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmpt View Post
One of my co-workers was SUPER excited on Wednesday when the grocery ad's came out about the HT triples. Then realized she didn't have any coupons.

So, I told her on Monday that I would sit down with her and we would have couponing 101! I also told her that I would help stock her up on coupons - I have WAY too many right now!
That is so great of you to do that for her!!! That's what i'm talking about...helping each other for FREE!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to couponmama62 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2009, 08:25 AM

is waiting for warmer weather

My Mood/Status:
cmonnens has posted more than 10 good deals
I am gonna start sending rebates to their houses. Good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmonnens For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Go Penguins!

My Mood/Status:
mommalee93 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mommalee93 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mommalee93 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mommalee93 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mommalee93 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mommalee93 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mommalee93 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Here is my thought on the learning to coupon/ paying to learn to coupon issue. Anyone can get on a computer and go to a search engine and type in coupon and come up with a million different sites that are free and learn to coupon. Yet they don't for whatever reason. maybe because they don't realize what is out there. I didn't I stumbled right into the best thing that has ever happened to me and my family. Yet other people try and try to learn and can't by reading. If I am going to take my time away from my family to teach someone what I know then yes it is going to cost something. I refer people here all the time, those people don't have time or don't understand and want more individual attention than yes I have done my part towards the free bit.
who fell in
. They got a
had a
and then a
and a
makes 3!!. The end!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mommalee93 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 AM

IWannaSaveBucks2 has posted more than 25 good deals
If a close friend or relative asks me something about coupons or a sale, I help them. I often call and nag the crap out of them until they actually get off their butts and go to the store to "do the deal" BUT there is no way I am going to spend hours upon hours with people I don't even know and teach them everything I do for free... sorry... I don't teach people to knit for free at community ED and I don't teach people CPR for free and I'm not teaching them THIS for free... if they can read and do it on their own, I'll send them here... but the time they save and the info they gain is worth what they spend... and I agree that when someone INVESTS something, they value the information more... so pay me a little and save a ton...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IWannaSaveBucks2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 PM

is smiling

My Mood/Status:
tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tripletsnthree6 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I can guarentee that if I taught someone what I know they can easily save $20 in the first 30 days. I think that is an apropriate fee. I OFTEN teach for free. Our society can be pretty silly about this, but sometimes when we make a small financial investment such as $20 some of us will pay closer attention and take something with them they can use for that $20.

There are many that I have taught for free, and will continue to do so but I strongly support anyone charging!

17yr boy
8yr boy
2yr girl
18month boy boy boy

Lovin The Coupons
Old 02-21-2009, 02:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
drf987 has posted more than 25 good deals
I just received a catalog in the mail from our area community college. They are offering a 3 hr "workshop", charging $12 to sign up. I'm really tempted to go just to see how it's run, the suggestions and ideas, etc. Could end up being worth $12. Though, on second thought, I can save my $12 and just stay on AFC for 3 hrs! Bet I get more out of that!!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 PM

too blessed to be stressed

My Mood/Status:
catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!catch22 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think it is like paying a Tutor

I don't think it is wrong to charge a reasonable fee for a class. You have to take time to prepare, make hand outs, etc. Your time has to be worth something.

Also, the ones that don't think it is fair....because people could learn it for free...well, I think you could say that about any subject. Say sewing, you take classes and pay because it is easier and quicker to learn from somone who knows. They break it down into steps that you can understand and master. Same with algebra. I could read a textbook or watch a video (which I would probably have to pay for) but this takes more time and you struggle. In a classroom situation you can take the time to explain things that are unclear to people and they get their answers right then and there. You can help the ones that need it explained a different way. You go to classes to learn about gardening, how to play bridge, exercise, etc and you pay a fee. Why should learning about couponing be different? If people wanted to sit in front of a computer and search and read and learn, they could. There is nothing wrong with that. But if they choose to go to a class, I think they should pay the teacher for her time and experience. I think most people would look at it as an investment. They are going and getting knowledge that will help them save money. Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Thankful for AFC and all my coupon buddies!!

My Mood/Status:
Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Shoppinglizzard has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have taught MANY people how to coupon FOR FREE and I don't think it would be any less 'from the heart' if I did charge.

I look at it like this, the economy is bad for all of us. I have reduced my work hours in less than half because
A) I had to give up my self employment thanks to the weak new construction economy
B) My husband leaves for a 1 year tour in Afghanistan in a few months and my kids will need one parent around a bit more
If I charged for a class I don't think I'd be looked at as selfish. I would think that there would be many greatful people who outside of a classroom enviroment may not pick up on the coupon world.
I disagree with your comparison, couponmama, that charging for coupon advice is like charging for a recipe. For one, recipe books are sold in stores which shows a demand for them. Second if someone randomly asked for advice I wouldn't tell them to come to my class without giving advice but instead I would help them with their question and direct them to my class for further tips.
To each his own.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Shoppinglizzard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
amyers12345 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amyers12345 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amyers12345 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amyers12345 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amyers12345 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amyers12345 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have tried to keep out of this...

I charge for classes, and rightfully so. I have to pay for copies, spend my time researching, and make the handouts.

Although I use AFC occasionally, most of it does not apply to our area. I have done almost all of my learning by trial and error.

You would not believe the time I spend preparing for the classes. I also provide my email address and try to answer each one. Sometimes I have 200-300 emails a day. I also have a website that I had to pay a designer for.

I cannot afford to rent a place, spend 50 hours a week, make copies, drive 45 minutes each way to give the classes, just to teach everyone how to buy all the stuff before I get there.

I also taught myself to play piano, but I charge for lessons. I didn't work very hard at it to spend my time just giving it away.

I have become a victim of the economy and lost a very high paying job. My classes have helped many, many people. I tried to juggle both for a while, and was not able to keep up with the follow-up the way I should. If I didn't charge, I would have to go back to work, and would be unable to help those who need it the most.
The Following User Says Thank You to amyers12345 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
grocerymama has posted more than 100 good deals!grocerymama has posted more than 100 good deals!
I charge for my grocery classes I teach. If people take what they learn from me, they will more than make up that difference within a week of grocery shopping. I also have to rent out a space so I need to cover the cost.
I also sell my curriculum and charge for that as well. I put a lot of time into it and it's not a huge cost, especially since others are making money from it.
If friends and family ask for help, I help them for free as much as I can. The biggest reason I charge is to cover the material and space cost.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Just Cheeky

My Mood/Status:
Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Cuponqueeny has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I too charge for my class
I charge $10 which I think personally is ok.
I give them all a coupon wallet full of coupons, 2 complete inserts, goodie bags and we do door prizes/game prizes. My class is 2 hours and I agree, it is time consuming and the cost of renting a place.

I have also taught many for free. Those are mainly coupon type workshops.

I'm working on getting us a sticky for this forum and a place to put all the outlines etc...
Great job everyone!

Coupon Chick

www.DivineSavings.com
Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Luvsaving has posted more than 5 good deals
I love being able to help others save $$. I am always having people stop me in the store. It is fun to hand them a coupon and help them save during these hard economic times.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
coolcrewsavings has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuponqueeny View Post
I too charge for my class
I charge $10 which I think personally is ok.
I give them all a coupon wallet full of coupons, 2 complete inserts, goodie bags and we do door prizes/game prizes. My class is 2 hours and I agree, it is time consuming and the cost of renting a place.

I have also taught many for free. Those are mainly coupon type workshops.

I'm working on getting us a sticky for this forum and a place to put all the outlines etc...
Great job everyone!
I personally think asking for $10 for your class is a deal, they get all the extras included. But I can see others point of view for doing it for free. Some people $10 is like asking for $100. I think each person has to look at the given situation.

I know I would help others for free, but I am new at all this and don't feel I have enough information to charge. I think the biggest thing is what is right with your soul...comes down to the principle of pay it forward...which I think alot of us here on AFC do.

Mom of 3 DS
Old 03-01-2009, 05:38 AM

My Mood/Status:
drf987 has posted more than 25 good deals
I agree that each situation is different. If I were just offering a class, advertising, etc to the general public, I think charging a fee is absolutely appropriate. If I were asked to give a class for, say, the local women's shelter, or a similar organization, I may donate my time & materials. I would think of it as another donation-an extension of what I already donate to this type of group. But every person and every situation is different. For some people, teaching couponing classes contributes to their income. Most of us don't offer to go to work for free! I say " YOU GO!!" to anyone who helps others learn to save, for a fee or free!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 PM

My Mood/Status:
mzsyd has posted more than 75 good deals!
I think that for some of us it's a obession because it gives us that "rush." Like everything else out there I think that most people even if they know the game would not be interested, while few will become addicts like me. .
Old 04-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Mrs.B621 has posted more than 50 good deals
Wow, how awesome is that?!?! I don't like the competition either!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
randmfox has posted more than 150 good deals!randmfox has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppinglizzard View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have taught MANY people how to coupon FOR FREE and I don't think it would be any less 'from the heart' if I did charge.

I look at it like this, the economy is bad for all of us. I have reduced my work hours in less than half because
A) I had to give up my self employment thanks to the weak new construction economy
B) My husband leaves for a 1 year tour in Afghanistan in a few months and my kids will need one parent around a bit more
If I charged for a class I don't think I'd be looked at as selfish. I would think that there would be many greatful people who outside of a classroom enviroment may not pick up on the coupon world.
I disagree with your comparison, couponmama, that charging for coupon advice is like charging for a recipe. For one, recipe books are sold in stores which shows a demand for them. Second if someone randomly asked for advice I wouldn't tell them to come to my class without giving advice but instead I would help them with their question and direct them to my class for further tips.
To each his own.....

Hey....I need some help!!! I am putting together my first coupon class here at our church in Louisiana (thanks to you and Jenni). But I don't want to be all coupon-hard-core!!!! What is it that you do when you start a class, or what are the basics you feel you like to cover??

Thanks for your help!!!!!