Do You TEACH "couponing" ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 11:13 AM

RE: Do you TEACH "couponing" ?

I love couponing!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
myhoagie02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!myhoagie02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!myhoagie02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!myhoagie02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!myhoagie02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!myhoagie02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!myhoagie02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I don't teach a class, but in looking through a course catalog I found a couponing class being conducted at my local community college. Most cities have one or more technical schools that hold community courses or continuing ed courses available to the general public.

Check with your local community college and see if they have such courses. If so, see if they have a couponing class. If not, you might want to start there. You'd be able to reach out to a lot more people as they mail out course catalogs to all households in the college's mailing radius.

Good luck and hope it all goes well!

Becky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Mina
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to myhoagie02 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
fredssweetlittlewife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fredssweetlittlewife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fredssweetlittlewife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fredssweetlittlewife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fredssweetlittlewife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fredssweetlittlewife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fredssweetlittlewife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have only been couponing myself since Spring. I have had several requests to teach people. I started sending an email to a few of my friends listing the sales for the week and any deals I plan on making that week. I provide a link to AFC and give all the credit to the hardworking folks who actually do the matchups. My email group has grown from 3 to just over a dozen. I have also started sending photos of my purchases with the date and price included in the photo. I have been taking photos of my good buys since the beginning (not everytime or I'd never have any ice cream!). People constantly stop me in the stores when they see my binder and ask what I do and how I do it. I try to be brief and invite them to send me an email if they want to be added to my email list. I have had people I don't know who have been forwarded an email with a photo contact me in amazement with how many groceries I have purchased for so little.

I have been invited to speak before the high school economics class and will be doing that before the end of the year.

I have taken one friend to the store after helping her do her coupon matchups and plotting out what she plans on buying. We have gone together every week for a month, almost two now. I provide her some extra Qs when she doesn't have them and have gotten some great buys that she found that I'd missed. It has been time consuming to mentor her so closely but she is a dear friend who's husband in in the reserves and they have 3 children and a new home. They really needed to cut down on their costs. Recently another friend has joined us and we are both assisting her. I have let them both know that I can't continue because it takes so much longer with all 3 of us but I will gladly mentor another friend, if needed.

The only class that I am currently planning on teaching is at a low-income housing development that my church has adopted. Once a month we host a block party complete with food, door prizes and games for the kiddos. I have been asked by the organizer if I'd be willing to host a free couponing class. I plan on having two door prizes, one being a food basket filled with stockpiled items (I like the idea of who guesses closest wins as mentioned in an earlier post) and other is a Case-It Binder complete with card holders, tabs and 2 weeks worth of coupons already clipped and filed in addition to a small pair of scissors, calculator and pen. My church would provide the money & I the time to set the binder up. I finally bought a Case-It Binder for myself and paid full price - that's how much I love it!!

Since I have been couponing such a short time I will simply be explaining what I do and how as well as my savings to date (as soon as I calculate it for AFC ). I plan on using a PowerPoint presentation and keep the lecture time to 45 minutes with an additional 30 minutes for Q&A as well as examples for the attendees to view. I don't know how successful it will be but I think it is great to share what I have learned.

Couponing is truely an answered prayer for me and my family and I'd love to show others how to do the same. If I could start a business from this I think that would be great also, I just don't know if it would be classes or selling coupon binders. I have no idea what I would charge for the binder. I have even thought of offering free classes with a binder as a door prize and take orders for others. Again, what to charge for that?

I'm sorry to be so wordy but it is great to put in writing my thoughts with like-minded folks. I would appreciate any feedback on my coupon binder/free class idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredssweetlittlewife For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 PM

~FORGIVENESS~
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!busylizzy has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
these ideas are fantastic ladies!!!! I really have enjoyed reading all these ideas posted! Such brilliant woman!!!!!!! I LOVE AFC!
The Following User Says Thank You to busylizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have not done a class yet but am planning on it. I live in a smaller community and am not originally from here. So my idea is to use the people I do know to get me started with others. Here's how it works:

Class is 15.00 per person
Free for host(plus they get a nice basket from stockpile)
They must have at least 6 other people for class.
If one of those guests decide to host the next party, their next class is free plus they receive the big basket from stockpile.
Hopefully, this will help book more parties.
Just an idea, if you don't know a whole lot of people in your area.

ISO .55/1 or 1.00/2 2lt q.s (Especially for Sunkist products)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vegas1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM

abbiejunesmom has posted more than 75 good deals!
I teach classes, and actually like to have larger ones, rather than the smaller! I have had classes as large as 300 people before! And as small as 12.

I charge $10.00 a person and the host is free.

I go through churches. After my first class, I have pretty much just gone off of word of mouth. I do about 2 classes a month.

I always do the classes for my home church, for free...as a ministry. And I also always offer scholarships if someone can not afford to pay.

I give away 1 recyclable bag (larger size) of stockpile items, 1 coupon organizer, and 2 envies of special coupons to do some of the deals we had discussed.

I use powerpoint, and have an extensive handout that took me 6 months to write. . (What can I say, I am slow!)

I have traveled all over teaching and LOVE IT! I used to teach kindergarten, now I teach coupons. Go figure!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abbiejunesmom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Couponing Since 05!
Coupon Addict & Lovin It!

My Mood/Status:
applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!applerama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm having my first class on the 23rd. I'm charging $10 a person (to pay for my supplies and time putting everything together) and giving away a bunch of goodies. It's in home so no powerpoint.

[b]Wife to Tim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to applerama For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yes it is awkward to charge. Particularly when there is another thread on this site giving away a complete coupon class outline to those who promise not to charge for their classes.

I am teaching my first class, for FREE, to the teachers and parents at my childrens' preschool.

I am finding out it takes a ton of time to figure out my examples, print the flyers and hand-outs, examples, and get myself organized.

To lead a truly satisfying life, we must figure out what our strengths are, and find a way to use our strengths to benefit others. That's how I look at it.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
poormom has posted more than 10 good deals
That's why you charge ..it took me 6 months on my own to figure couponing out ...you are bringing people up to speed in 2 hours. There's nothing akward about it .
The Following User Says Thank You to poormom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 03:26 PM

My Mood/Status:
groceryshopper2010 has posted more than 10 good deals
where do i find the free online classes?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM

16 months and still not out of TP yet!
I love AFC!!

My Mood/Status:
Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Smurfytigger has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by groceryshopper2010 View Post
where do i find the free online classes?
I think what they are talking about is someone in this thread that has a PDF file that they will share with you if you are teaching a class. They will email it to you to use in your class..I remember reading about it earlier in this thread.
My web site below "teaches" how to coupon, as well as just surfing through the forums here on AFC--I think it is by far the best place on the web to get info on "how to" coupon..
good luck--I will help if you need more specifics--just PM me or post here...

Work like you don't need the money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
& Dance like no one is watching.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 PM

I HAVE A FEVER AND THE ONLY CURE IS MORE COUPONS!

My Mood/Status:
danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have one tomarrow
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!shellie_wnj has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I started teaching as a ministry in my church. I just can't see charging for something you can get for free here (JMHO, and I lead them here, too). I wrestle with this for reasons stated in this thread, it takes time to learn, you are giving them all the tools, knowledge you have aquired, etc. But for now I teach for free.
The handouts include local store's coupon policies, a menu plan, a pantry storage inventory sheet, a website listing, and a "quick points" sheet. After that, they have to take notes, I just can't supply them with everything. Plus I know that I personally learn better if I am writing what I am hearing. I hope you end up with a successful venture (whether paid or not!)
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 PM

happy

My Mood/Status:
Juligan has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Juligan has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Juligan has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Juligan has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Juligan has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Juligan has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Juligan has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I, too, have been getting a lot of encouragement from my husband and friends to offer a workshop. I am giving serious consideration to at least offering a workshop at church for free to see how it goes.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

- Great Lakes Region Kroger -
Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
Kelvin has posted more than 200 great deals!Kelvin has posted more than 200 great deals!Kelvin has posted more than 200 great deals!
I am thinking about starting a private coupon tutoring. I have been saving files and information from many sites. Now I have to put them in a presentation and create hand out sheets. I am not sure how long it will take. I hope it won't take 6 months like you did

Any suggestions on this? how many pages of handouts? Your presentation via power points?

I am thinking about charging $20 to $30 per person in avg for a grou of 3 to 5 people. I just want to make sure that each time I go teach a class for 1 to 2 hours, I will book in at least $60 after all costs. I don't think that's too much.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks.