Is It Illegal To Sell Items Bought With A Coupon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

jenniferdun has posted more than 75 good deals!
Is it illegal to sell items bought with a coupon

We are moving and I posted about 20 items I had left that wouldn't fit in the boxes on our local city for sale site and asked $1 each. Mostly shaving cream and razors. Anyway this lady went off on how it was illegal to sell anything you bought with a coupon and gave me a link to some website. Then she went off on how bad of a couponer I was and crap for reselling items I used a coupon for. Seriously she doesn't even know me or why I'm selling stuff. I know there are lots of people who set up at trade days and sell their stock. The lady is a new couponer who is charging for couponing classes in the town over. She has said herself on the site she's only been couponing a couple months. I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew if it was illegal or not. The site she gave me didn't say there was a law against it just said coupons are not made for setting up store in your garage.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to jenniferdun For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM

RE: Is it illegal to sell items bought with a coupon

dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
No its not illegal because you bought those items legally and are intitled to do what you want with them! If you were selling stuff you stole then thats illegal. Some people think its wrong to sell your stockpile because they think you should just give things away if you have too much. I dont think its wrong because you are still helping people save money. If I get a can of shaving cream for .50 that is normally $4, I feel it is very helpful to sell it to someone for $1 and save them time and money!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dianak9938 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 AM

My name is Valerie. Feel free to call me Val.

My Mood/Status:
xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!
I dunno what that woman's problem was. You're not doing anything wrong, and I sincerely doubt you're doing anything illegal. She was just pissed off because you're clearly better at couponing than she is.

Like DianaK9938 said, you bought those items legally and you can do whatever you want with them.

Out of curiosity, what's the website she gave you?
The Following User Says Thank You to xpikch3rxframex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpikch3rxframex View Post
I dunno what that woman's problem was. You're not doing anything wrong, and I sincerely doubt you're doing anything illegal. She was just pissed off because you're clearly better at couponing than she is.

Like DianaK9938 said, you bought those items legally and you can do whatever you want with them.

Out of curiosity, what's the website she gave you?
It was coupon information corporation
Coupon Information Corporation: Frequently Asked Questions
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM

: )
Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Illegal? I don't think so as long as one acquired the items legitimately regardless of mode of payment whether strictly in coupons, CC/DC/cash. Otherwise, if one sells stolen goods, then they are considered a fence.

I didn't read info from CIC link above regarding reselling items bought with coupons, my personal stand on this is that not everything stated in that website coming from the head is factual; when in doubt, the best thing we can do is seek legal advice on the matter. I have read articles where the head admitted their org is not a law enforcement agency when asked why they cannot run after those who use coupons fraudulently.

JMO.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I know P&G coupons say you can't use their coupons if you plan to resell the product, but that's pretty much all I know about this topic.

I don't know how they would find out if your reselling, unless you got so huge that everyone in the world would know
The Following User Says Thank You to Remy3188 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
afaik, even if P&G or any mfr for that matter, puts in their coupons that it is illegal to resell items bought with coupons, it does not make it a law. Therefore, if a private individual chooses to violate such terms whether voluntarily or involuntarily, they cannot be charged with violation of a law.

I know most, if not all manufacturers, put these terms in their coupons: void if sold/traded. But can retailers tell if coupons being redeemed were sold/traded? Will retailers add to cashier's job description to question people where/how they got the coupons they are redeeming at stores? IOW, those terms are hardly enforceable. Sure, they can run after 'suspected' violators, but will they?

I'm not a lawyer nor a student of law. These are just my 2 cents.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Denise Wood has posted more than 100 good deals!Denise Wood has posted more than 100 good deals!
joshmamabear-Nicely put!
Jenniferdun- If she doesn't stop harassing you, you are also able to send her a "cease and desist" letter.
Im sure that will shut her up!
Good Luck. Stand your ground! and don't let some "Know it all" think she can tell you what's right and wrong. Read about it, do your homework then tell her where she can stick her opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Denise Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 PM

dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I lived in an apartment for 6 years, 2 of those years I did couponing. When my small corner of the bedroom stockpile was full I started putting things in boxes since I knew we were soon to buy a house and id have a whole stockpile room. Well when we finally moved and unpacked I realized how much stuff I actually had. Thats after giving away probably 75% off my stuff. We planned on a yardsale after we moved in since we couldnt have one before living in an apartment. So I put my overflow in the yardsale and made over 2K in 2 weekends. I never purchased items with coupons with the intent to sell but was very thankful for the extra money since we just bought a house we needed a lot of stuff, more than I expected! We got the kids a swingset and a shed for my hubby
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dianak9938 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Some people have nothing better to do than to try and put down others, once you legally buy it from a store the product is yours, do you know how many pizza places, Chinese restaurants, small food shops & store owners, go into Walmart when they have the 24 packs of soda on sale for $5 use a $1 q then sell them in their actual place of business for $1 making a $20 profit per case!!

Also you mean to tell me this woman in her life never sold a shirt on eBay, pair of shoes, well if she used a % off Q its still using a coupon, tell her to mind her own business, and continue with her classes than maybe she'll be as good as you one day that should tick her off hahahah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Miguel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:09 PM

Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferdun View Post
We are moving and I posted about 20 items I had left that wouldn't fit in the boxes on our local city for sale site and asked $1 each. Mostly shaving cream and razors. Anyway this lady went off on how it was illegal to sell anything you bought with a coupon did you tell her you got items free with coupons? or else, how did she know? and gave me a link to some website. Then she went off on how bad of a couponer I was and crap for reselling items I used a coupon for. I sense envy here. did she turn green while she was talking? Seriously she doesn't even know me or why I'm selling stuff. you could've just given her a 'say what now?' look I know there are lots of people who set up at trade days and sell their stock. The lady is a new couponer who is charging for couponing classes in the town over. if she makes $ off coupons via paid couponing seminars, she should follow principle of live and let live. case of pot calling kettle black? She has said herself on the site she's only been couponing a couple months. I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew if it was illegal or not. it is best to check with a lawyer for your peace of mind. The site she gave me didn't say there was a law against it just said coupons are not made for setting up store in your garage.
Thanks
Don't accept as facts everything you read online; when in doubt about legalities, consult a lawyer or a student of law. JMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
Lionessavc has posted more than 25 good deals
I wish somebody would come tell me what do with something I spent so much time and energy finding the deal, clipping the coupons, and going to the store for said deal. I don't do well with these kind of people at all. Plus people do this all the time at flea markets. I don't have nearly enough of a stockpile to sell but if I wanted to, I would. I'm sorry this happened to you. Has anybody seen the movie the Big Lebowski??? I would have told her, "Well like, that is your Opinion man."
The Following User Says Thank You to Lionessavc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:36 PM

I never said I used coupons . Just posted the items and how much i wanted for each. She just went off on the post that she knew these were gotten free with coupons and it was illegal. I eventually deleted the post since most had sold and she was starting to scare people who said they wanted to buy some items.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
buslady has posted more than 100 good deals!buslady has posted more than 100 good deals!
Maybe she is just jealous ...she didn't get an awesome deal on what your were selling. After all
who is she the coupon police??
Old 09-05-2013, 04:26 PM

My name is Valerie. Feel free to call me Val.

My Mood/Status:
xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!xpikch3rxframex has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
I never said I used coupons . Just posted the items and how much i wanted for each. She just went off on the post that she knew these were gotten free with coupons and it was illegal. I eventually deleted the post since most had sold and she was starting to scare people who said they wanted to buy some items.
How would she have even known that? o_o Do you have a stalker?

That's what it is. She's so jealous of your mad coupon skillz that she's stalking you and trying to make you look bad so that people will give her money to go to her (probably flawed) coupon classes.

Haters gonna hate. You just keep on being awesome at what you do. Let her be mad, it's her problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to xpikch3rxframex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
so this wasn't a face to face encounter but like an online yard sale?

If I was in such situation, I wouldn't even validate her statements. She can talk to herself or IF it is my thread and there's a moderator, I'd report the woman asap. In our local bargain group, those are considered trolls and soon as they are reported, the mod deletes their posts or they are banned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM

kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!
You own the product. It's yours and you can do with it what you please. That CIC link did not say anything about reselling products bought with coupons by the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalderete For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 AM

Running A Spooky Swap See Sig 4 Details
Piffin' Princess

2014 YTD Savings: $22478
My Mood/Status:
Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Darkfire has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
CIC has an agenda and says it's not very nice ethically to sell things you got with a coupon. If you sell through a store and pay taxes you end up paying taxes three times in some cases. So the deal is this. Everyone is in business, they do not offer us coupons to have us make money they want us to spend more money. NOT LESS. I spent a lot of time researching this topic because I run an ebay business and my DH is about to open our second home based business. We do everything above ground. I sell here and PIF and even to neighbors but they pay me to shop. There seems to be a grey area about tax evasion if you sell face to face. After all even a barter is something uncle sam wants his cut of and should be reported. BUT even with a yardsale taxes were paid once so it makes no sense to me. Since I do not sell face to face I kinda skimmed those laws but think the woman is just jealous as others have said....Cuz the first place I am going if I got something free is ebay to see if I can sell it for a profit.

Conductor of the
Train. Clicky link for details! ALWAYS accepting new riders!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darkfire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 12:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Be very careful with ebay though, primarily paypal because that will also include transactions made from here......

Paypals guidelines WILL report you to the IRS under 2 circumstances.......

1. You make over 20K
2. You have 200 transactions, so if you sell 200 things the IRS is going to be notified even if you just made $100

They will give them a total of how much you received, to top it off if your not listed as a business through eBay you can not claim business expenses on the income, also to prove what you paid for stuff they will require receipts or that can not be a write off on it and will be considered 100% profit.

Items add up quickly sad enough, so just beware of that stupid little snafu!!
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
which makes us
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
redpal has posted more than 25 good deals
If you couldn't sell things you buy with coupons then what about the clothes we buy at kohls with rewards or their percent off coupon wear once and then put in our garage sale or bought it on clearance it didn't fit but didn't take it back but placed in our yard sale. In other words any thing you purchase becomes your property to do with it what you want. This could soooo become a slippery slope. But I figure if I bought it and paid tax on it then it's mine to resale or giveaway
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM

~0)
Walmart Wild Forum Leader

2014 YTD Savings: $10200
My Mood/Status:
ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Garage sales and yard sales can be taxable in some locations. The assumption with most yard sales/garage sales is you will be selling the items at a loss, not a gain. There is no tax collectible on a loss; however, gains are taxable! And, if you want to give it away free, then you are considered to be incurring a loss.

The typical guidelines are you must file for a permit to have a garage sale or yard sale. The permit allows you to host what some places refer to as a non-recurring sale OR casual sale OR occasional sale. If you regularly SELL items for a gain, then you are IN BUSINESS, and subject to federal taxes, possibly even state and/or city taxes. Each locale/state gets to determine what makes a sale a casual or non-recurring sale vs. a regular seller.

For example, the City of Dallas, TX has an Occasional Sale Ordinance that is a $15 fee permit. You are allowed to receive this permit twice a year. Anything more than that you are in violation of city ordinances. This 2x a year is standard for most occasional sale ordinances.

The site you would visit would be your state tax department and local city or county ordinances. And, yes I am an expert in business laws and e-commerce sites. This is one of the things that regularly comes up as a small business tax complication.

Questions then:
Is it a loss?
If loss, not taxable. STOP!
No, it is a gain. PROCEED.
Is it considered an occasional sale [2x a year or less]?
Occasional sale, not taxable. Make sure you get your permit if you need it. STOP!
Wait, I sell stuff more frequently. PROCEED.
Is the items you are selling used or new and unopened?
If used, not taxable. STOP!
If new and unopened, sorry, you probably owe taxes. You may need to report the income earned as hobby income or obtain a small business license. Check with your local city, county, state, and federal guidelines about small businesses and hobby income.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReuschHome For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 PM

My Mood/Status:
las357s has posted more than 400 great deals!las357s has posted more than 400 great deals!las357s has posted more than 400 great deals!las357s has posted more than 400 great deals!las357s has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
We are moving and I posted about 20 items I had left that wouldn't fit in the boxes on our local city for sale site and asked $1 each. Mostly shaving cream and razors. Anyway this lady went off on how it was illegal to sell anything you bought with a coupon and gave me a link to some website. Then she went off on how bad of a couponer I was and crap for reselling items I used a coupon for. Seriously she doesn't even know me or why I'm selling stuff. I know there are lots of people who set up at trade days and sell their stock. The lady is a new couponer who is charging for couponing classes in the town over. She has said herself on the site she's only been couponing a couple months. I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew if it was illegal or not. The site she gave me didn't say there was a law against it just said coupons are not made for setting up store in your garage.
Thanks
I join local groups on facebook and have had alot of luck selling my stockpile there!
The Following User Says Thank You to las357s For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!todd74 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Im reading over alot of information here. I think we need to stop reading into "so called laws" etc. The IRS allows for income up to a certain dollar amount per year, (I think its 3K, but dont quote me on that), with out having to claim it on our taxes.

I wouldnt be worried about breaking the law concerning the selling of your stock piles or the IRS, unless those who are selling their stuff run to the IRS bragging about it, there is not going to be any issues.

JMO
Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
I agree.... The only thing you want to worry about is selling on sites that do report you to the IRS because then a messy audit will go into play and then they try to hang you with that thing called interest lmao
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I am with Dinak, Never have I bought anything with intent to sell using coupons, just found myself with more than we as a family of 7 and giving stuff away than could possibly ever be used up. The 4 or 5 hr. Community Yard sale I participated in this year paid for some desperately needed car repairs. And I was Thankful for it. I have steered clear of the facebook groups other than reading what others have posted and there is just wayyy too much drama for me to feel comfortable on these sights. If it is mine and I legally bought it one way or another it is mine to do with what I want. JMHO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barracuda For This Useful Post: