My Coupons Are Still A Mess

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 06:12 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

klc92201 has posted more than 10 good deals
My coupons are still a mess

I need help with organization. I am looking for another way to organize my coupons. Right now I'm using my binder for printed coupons and just leaving my inserts uncut and write the days on them. I can't find anything. I want them all together and still be able to take them to the store without looking like I'm crazy. Help
The Following User Says Thank You to klc92201 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 AM

RE: My coupons are still a mess

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Each person needs to find their own way of doing things. I started with a little file box when I was a random couponer. Then when I started getting more coupons I outgrew that and used a binder I already had (not zippered). Then moved up to a zippered binder with 1 set of rings. Then used a milk crate to file the inserts uncut (hated it). Then got a zippered binder with 2 sets of rings. But now I use a box method and am comfortable with it. I already had the boxes at home. I use 3 photo storage boxes (Michaels). 1 for food coupons (filed alphabetically) and 2 for non-food (filed by category). I have a subscription to 5 copies of the sunday paper, plus get extra from my newspaper guy, my neighbor that works at an assisted living place, and my mom.
I have a small cancelled check holder that I carry to the stores. It has 13 slots, which I have labelled with all the grocery and drugstores I frequent. When I look at the ad or see a good deal mentioned on here, I pull the coupons and put them in the small binder. That's all I carry into the stores with me. So easy to use.
I keep a large flat rate APO box beside my coupon area to toss the expired coupons into to send to a couponer military family. She pays me back for postage. I fill up that box about every month.
The key for me was to start cutting every coupon. I separate the inserts and match up the pages then cut them all at once. And saving almost all the coupons. You never know when something will end up being free or moneymaker. I donate a lot to the seniors where my parents eat lunch and play bingo.
Hope that helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qrazy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 AM

LOVE AFC!!!

My Mood/Status:
Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I started with a binder until it got too unruly. Then I went to individual folders (red for Target, blue for CVS, yellow for WAGs) until coupons started flying out of them when I opened them or they fell out of the side. So now it's back to a binder for (at least my grocery store) and I keep my inserts uncut in a roller bag so it is easier to get them from my car to the house. I am still not thrilled with how I have them and I've been seriously couponing since mid 2009. Still haven't found my groove, either!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Losingitagain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!emgriffin0229 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I started with the acordian-style folder but quickly grew out of it. Moved onto a shoe box, grew out of that. I'm currently using the filing and binder system. I get about 15+ inserts of each every weekend so cutting up everything doesn't work for me. I try to cut 2-3 inserts of each every week and store then rest un-cut ones in a plastic bin with individual labels (i.e. RP 12/02/11, SS 12/0211, PG/GM 12/02/11) I'm some what anal about organizing things... Left tab folders are for RP, middle tabs are for PG/GM, and right tabs are for SS (told ya). As for my binder, I have 15 categories plus 4-7 sub-categories. I use baseball card holders. I also have a section for FREE's, drugstores, grocery stores all alphabetically with each coupon policy. In addition, I have card holders to hold rainchecks plus a calendar at the very front where i jot down important dates such as RR/ECB exp dates or high value qs exp dates (a life saver, you don't know how many things i've let expire without even noticing...this helps alot). Finally, I printed Price-Books sheets but never really kept up with it. Quite frankly I fell off the wagon for a few months now and gearing up for a comeback starting with the charmin deal at cvs next week. HTH

In a nutshell, there's a way for everyone to keep sane...it takes time to find what works for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emgriffin0229 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Organization has been a constant thorn in my side since I started couponing. I **THINK** (more like PRAY) that I have found what works for me. I started with envelopes. That quickly fell apart (literally). I then went to a small accordian style folder that I quickly outgrew. Next came my binder obsession! I think I bought 6 or 7 binders while on my quest to find the "perfect" one. I never found it, so, I started filing my whole inserts. I never used a coupon while using this method. I did this for 5 months! I went back to a binder but still found it to be soooooooooooo time consuming.

I bought a coupon organizer on Etsy. It is adorable, but, still not big enough. While looking for Christmas gifts at Walmart, I found a Coleman lunchbox for less than $10. This is absolutely perfect for me! I made divider tabs for my categories. My subcategories are pieces of card stock folded in half (so coupons don't end up on the bottom of the bag). Filing coupons goes so much faster this way. I love it.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Oops...sorry for the sideways pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (187.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (194.5 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by cgpother; 12-28-2011 at 07:16 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cgpother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 AM

My Mood/Status:
mindyvolv has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mindyvolv has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mindyvolv has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mindyvolv has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mindyvolv has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!mindyvolv has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpother
Organization has been a constant thorn in my side since I started couponing. I **THINK** (more like PRAY) that I have found what works for me. I started with envelopes. That quickly fell apart (literally). I then went to a small accordian style folder that I quickly outgrew. Next came my binder obsession! I think I bought 6 or 7 binders while on my quest to find the "perfect" one. I never found it, so, I started filing my whole inserts. I never used a coupon while using this method. I did this for 5 months! I went back to a binder but still found it to be soooooooooooo time consuming.

I bought a coupon organizer on Etsy. It is adorable, but, still not big enough. While looking for Christmas gifts at Walmart, I found a Coleman lunchbox for less than $10. This is absolutely perfect for me! I made divider tabs for my categories. My subcategories are pieces of card stock folded in half (so coupons don't end up on the bottom of the bag). Filing coupons goes so much faster this way. I love it.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Oops...sorry for the sideways pictures.
That is nice! I'll have to look for something like that.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 AM

My Mood/Status:
francesbaca has posted more than 10 good deals
I got a coupon binder that has handles on it, you can utube and find them, a friend of mine made me one for Christmas. I use currency holders from ebay for my printed coupons works great! baseball card holders for papers and mags. coupons. outgrowing binder, but love it! Have to stay organized, try to spend at least five hours a week to keep it up..... good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to francesbaca For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Thanks everyone. I have never tried a box version and the whole thing scares me but I'm seriously thinking of trying it. Great idea with the coleman. Can you tell me the dementions of the binder? Seems kind of deap, do you lose your coupons or do they stay in place? I am off this week and plan on spending some time to try a new method or get my binder back in shape.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 AM

LOVE AFC!!!

My Mood/Status:
Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
cgpother, can you tell me where you found your Coleman lunchbox? I LOVE IT!
The Following User Says Thank You to Losingitagain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 AM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klc92201 View Post
Thanks everyone. I have never tried a box version and the whole thing scares me but I'm seriously thinking of trying it. Great idea with the coleman. Can you tell me the dementions of the binder? Seems kind of deap, do you lose your coupons or do they stay in place? I am off this week and plan on spending some time to try a new method or get my binder back in shape.
It is about 9" wide, 7" tall and 6" deep. I cut some cardboard and put in the bottom to raise it up a bit. I have subcategory folders that hold my coupons. Think upside down thank you card.

For instance, under my "Store Qs" category, I have one of these "cards" labeled for CVS, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Food Lion, Publix, Walgreens, Walmart, Winn Dixie. I have about 26 categories and about 80 subs. You could personalize it however you like.

Here is a pic of my subcategory card folder thingy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (186.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losingitagain View Post
cgpother, can you tell me where you found your Coleman lunchbox? I LOVE IT!
It was with the camping equipment at Walmart.

Thanks! I think this might be it for me.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
SisterIt has posted more than 150 good deals!SisterIt has posted more than 150 good deals!
I love this idea too!
I have tried envelopes, shoe boxes, coupon boxes, binders, throw everything in my purse...uncut inserts. I give up!! I can't find a system that doesn't take a TON of time to do. I wouldn't mind spending the time if it actually worked when I went to the store. I go shopping max once a week because the stores are over an hour from me. Some weeks I don't go and only go every two weeks.
I think I have one of those coolers. I'm going to think about this. I also like how you folded the paper in half and it contains that coupons so you can pull them out without them scattering down the aisles!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mom to Johnathan 2, Thomas 3, Sophie 6, Ann 9, Sarah 9, Christopher 19, Jason 21 and Brandy 26. Wife of almost 23 years to my Sweetheart, Doug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 YTD Savings $255.62
The Following User Says Thank You to SisterIt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 AM

What not to love about a sassy penguin?

My Mood/Status:
Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I bought a box from an ebay seller and looooooove it!!!!!

No I'm not one of thoooose couponers!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassypenguin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 08:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
celloraisen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!celloraisen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!celloraisen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!celloraisen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!celloraisen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!celloraisen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I just got a Coupon Clutch (.com) and I love it. You just slide a binder into it then unvelcro the sides to open it up. Mine is red with brown and white giraffe print. It's very chic! It just looks like a cool tote bag. I had been using a 3" zipper binder with one set of rings but I really didn't need all that space. I only clip what I know I will use and file the rest so this works for me. I only wish that it had a zipper pocket for my calculator and mini scissors. I could easily add a zipper pencil case or sew something on the inside flap. Anyone interested in my pink Caseit? LMK!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Family first, coupons a close second!

My Mood/Status:
jenmarie84 has posted more than 100 good deals!jenmarie84 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Here are steps I used to help me get clutter free, and happy with my coupon organization!

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Hope this helps! I've tried several methods, and these 4 steps helped me clean up my coupons!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenmarie84 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
nocnurse has posted more than 100 good deals!nocnurse has posted more than 100 good deals!
When you just file inserts......how do you keep track of what coupons are in each insert?
I was thinking about writing a list out but it seems like a pain to have to look through several lists to find the insert and coupon you need!
The Following User Says Thank You to nocnurse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM

My Mood/Status:
jenmarie84 has posted more than 100 good deals!jenmarie84 has posted more than 100 good deals!
The blogs tell you! And you can search coupondad.com, howtoshopforfree.net and various other sites to find a coupon database. Type in the coupon you are looking for and it will tell you what insert and week the coupon is located in.
The Following User Says Thank You to jenmarie84 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM

I have been doing that too. Looking for coupon match ups and searching coupon databases which are great but what do you do when you are shopping and see a great deal. The way I'm doing it now, I don't have my coupons with me at the store and would have to go back to get it. I have good intentions to go back but I work and after running kids around I just miss out on lots of deals. Then I have to buy things at full price because I need it and by that time it isn't on sale or my coupon has expired. I don't want to have to cut coupon is the store as I always have kids with me and it is just too much work in the store. I think I prefer to do the prep work but stuffing into a binder is just too much work for me when I can do a search and see that I should have a coupon for something.

I'm only hesitant because after I put them into a "box" method, how do I know what is in there? Do you still do a coupon search to see if the coupon exsists? Does it make it harder to coupon match up?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
I sort of remember what I have from just cutting them out. You could search the database if you weren't sure what you have.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM

What not to love about a sassy penguin?

My Mood/Status:
Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
With my box system everything is filled under item name so if I saw a great sale on pizza then I can go to my pizza section and see what I have.

No I'm not one of thoooose couponers!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassypenguin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Anyone seen or used this? I saw this when browsing around looking for idea's. I'm sure I could make something but I was also concidering buying something ready to go?

Mega Large Coupon Organizer Holder Black and Candy by glowgirl16
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klc92201 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
I have been doing that too. Looking for coupon match ups and searching coupon databases which are great but what do you do when you are shopping and see a great deal. The way I'm doing it now, I don't have my coupons with me at the store and would have to go back to get it. I have good intentions to go back but I work and after running kids around I just miss out on lots of deals. Then I have to buy things at full price because I need it and by that time it isn't on sale or my coupon has expired. I don't want to have to cut coupon is the store as I always have kids with me and it is just too much work in the store. I think I prefer to do the prep work but stuffing into a binder is just too much work for me when I can do a search and see that I should have a coupon for something.

I'm only hesitant because after I put them into a "box" method, how do I know what is in there? Do you still do a coupon search to see if the coupon exsists? Does it make it harder to coupon match up?
This is the thing, some things you know will go on sale soon. Cereal goes on sale about every 3-4 months. Makeup is always on clearance at Wags, seasonal times baking goods, frying foods, grilling foods etc go on sale as well. If you have makeup coupons in the inserts that are higher value than usual (covergirl always has a $1/1 q it seems), then I file it in my binder always! My hubby loves pizza, so I'll file high value pizza qs if we are getting close to needing them. If I know a cereal sale is coming up in a month or so, I begin to clip and organize those coupons in my free time (which a cereal sale should be in the next couple weeks...) If I need to stock up on a certain item, I clip those coupons before filing my inserts and keep them in my binder. I don't have time to clip all my coupons, and you aren't going to get EVERY deal. I also don't have time to shop around the store either. So this method works wonders for me. When I know I need something, I keep my eye out for that item, check blogs, and have those coupons in my binder. My binder always goes to the vehicle with me! Only once was I really unprepared for a frozen food clearance. When I got home, I clipped all the coupons and sent my hubby out like a mad woman! We got our moneys worth!
The Following User Says Thank You to jenmarie84 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Anyone seen or used this? I saw this when browsing around looking for idea's. I'm sure I could make something but I was also concidering buying something ready to go?

Mega Large Coupon Organizer Holder Black and Candy by glowgirl16
That is exactly what I ordered! I ordered the waterproof one in the flower material. It's cute, but, wasn't big enough for me.

Etsy Transaction - Waterproof Mega Large Coupon Organizer

If I were making it, I would change a few things. It is only about 4" deep from front to back. I would add velcro to the front. There is a button with a band on the bottom of the etsy one. I was scared it would get too full and pull the button off, but, I like the button for securing it to the shopping cart.

If you don't cut every coupon, it would probably work. I really like the idea of it. It just didn't quite fit my personal needs.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpother View Post
That is exactly what I ordered! I ordered the waterproof one in the flower material. It's cute, but, wasn't big enough for me.

Etsy Transaction - Waterproof Mega Large Coupon Organizer

If I were making it, I would change a few things. It is only about 4" deep from front to back. I would add velcro to the front. There is a button with a band on the bottom of the etsy one. I was scared it would get too full and pull the button off, but, I like the button for securing it to the shopping cart.

If you don't cut every coupon, it would probably work. I really like the idea of it. It just didn't quite fit my personal needs.
So your Coleman is larger than this? I don't clip anything but I want too. I haven't been clipping at all but when I did my binder I didn't clip everything because by the time I sorted and clipped, it took to long to put everything in my binder I couldn't clip everything.

Did you see her custom ones that are larger?

Coupon Organizer Holder 6 Deep Mega Deluxe Choose by glowgirl16
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klc92201 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
shelly2234 has posted more than 300 great deals!shelly2234 has posted more than 300 great deals!shelly2234 has posted more than 300 great deals!shelly2234 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I use the envelope method and my envies are starting to fall apart after about 6 months so I think I'll go back to the binder. I never really had a problem with the envelope method. Everytime I went to the store I would quicky locate the Q's I needed, pull them, put them in my purse and head out. I get 12-18 inserts a my week and my family makes time each Sunday to help me clip them all. I think you just need to find the method that works for you. I tried the whole filing complete inserts and I hated it but others love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to shelly2234 For This Useful Post: