Coupon Binder Basics/How To

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 AM

RE: Coupon Binder Basics/How to

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Cheapest Dad (& Mom)

My Mood/Status:
pgree3 has posted more than 75 good deals!
I LOVE my binder!

I started with envelopes, moved to a box. Tried the full inserts in folders, but ended with the binder which is my favorite method because I can just leave it in the car and take it with me if I decide to pop into a store for something.

I use an old business card holder, which I keep in my purse for restaurant coupons, savings cards and the like.

I prefer alphabetical by manufacturer, however I do have a few categories, arranged alphabetically in my binder: "cereal", "feminine products", "makeup" and "Kroger". I find the cereal and fem products most challenging when determining the best deals (size on coupon vs size on sale...which specific cereal etc, the Kroger is for the store Cats and kroger specific coupons I get in the mail, and the makeup is separated so my 16yo daughter can just grab it and go when she is shopping for makeup.

Always looking for helpful organizational tips. Thank you so must for this post! You put a lot of really helpful information together and great links!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Cheapest Dad (& Mom) on the Block
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pgree3 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:41 PM

AAE0419
Thank you so much for this. I am very new to couponing and to be honest, it kind of frightens me a little. My husband just lost his job a few weeks ago and he was the main bread-winner for our family (by far). We have a 10 month old and lots of bills, so i figured I better do something to help us save what little money we do have coming in from my job. I really appreciate the time you have spent breaking down the details about couponing to newbies I have been telling my husband for the past week how much I'd love to sit down with a veteran couponer and pick their brain, but you have done just that with your posts! Thank you so much!

I wanted to ask you - since I'm new to this, I don't quite understand all of the AFC lingo yet. I get what qs are, but I'm puzzled about tp, pt and ones like that! Could you please educate me?

I do have one problem; I shop at Winn-Dixie (in Jacksonville, FL). I asked the store manager for a copy of their coupon policy and he looked at me like my face was turing green. He said he had never had anyone ask for one and to his knowledge, such a thing doesn't exist. I wrote a letter to the corporate office about getting a copy and never heard back from them. My dad has worked in the corporate office at Winn-Dixie for almost 35 years and he even said he doesn't think they have one. What should I do about that? They say they don't have a written policy, however when I tried to use more than one coupon for an item (the coupon did NOT say "not to be combined with any other coupon or offer"), they told me that I couldn't do that. I said, "well, If you don't have a coupon policy, then how do you know I can't do that"!? The told me that I'd have to call the corporate office. I was pretty irritated, needless to say. Anyhow, I was wondering if you could give me some advise on what to do in that situation - if a store does not have a written coupon policy. Thank you for the help!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 AM

lovin AFC
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAE0419 View Post
Thank you so much for this. I am very new to couponing and to be honest, it kind of frightens me a little. My husband just lost his job a few weeks ago and he was the main bread-winner for our family (by far). We have a 10 month old and lots of bills, so i figured I better do something to help us save what little money we do have coming in from my job. I really appreciate the time you have spent breaking down the details about couponing to newbies I have been telling my husband for the past week how much I'd love to sit down with a veteran couponer and pick their brain, but you have done just that with your posts! Thank you so much!

I wanted to ask you - since I'm new to this, I don't quite understand all of the AFC lingo yet. I get what qs are, but I'm puzzled about tp, pt and ones like that! Could you please educate me?

I do have one problem; I shop at Winn-Dixie (in Jacksonville, FL). I asked the store manager for a copy of their coupon policy and he looked at me like my face was turing green. He said he had never had anyone ask for one and to his knowledge, such a thing doesn't exist. I wrote a letter to the corporate office about getting a copy and never heard back from them. My dad has worked in the corporate office at Winn-Dixie for almost 35 years and he even said he doesn't think they have one. What should I do about that? They say they don't have a written policy, however when I tried to use more than one coupon for an item (the coupon did NOT say "not to be combined with any other coupon or offer"), they told me that I couldn't do that. I said, "well, If you don't have a coupon policy, then how do you know I can't do that"!? The told me that I'd have to call the corporate office. I was pretty irritated, needless to say. Anyhow, I was wondering if you could give me some advise on what to do in that situation - if a store does not have a written coupon policy. Thank you for the help!

Hi! I am glad I've been able to help you.Feel free to ask any questions on any of my how/to threads and I'll try to answer them as quickly as I can. I live on the computer so it shouldn't take me long to reply!

Lingo: tp = toilet paper, pt = paper towels. You won't find those on the lingo list - we as coupons just get lazy and shorten everything we can! Another one people get stumped on is poo = shampoo.

I don't have Winn Dixie but from what i have heard from other couponers that have one is that they are horrible about coupons. They don't have an official policy, refuse to make one, and will use any excuse they can to not take a coupon. I know most couponers basically stop shopping there. It's one of the few chains out there without a set policy. Another trouble maker is Safeway - it has an official policy but says the store managers get the final word. So anytime you get a grouchy manager who likes to make their own rules and change them on a whim you are out of luck.

Do you have any other stores near you? Hopefully you have somewhere else you can shop with a clear cut policy they follow. If not you'll have to work with it. Stores are getting harder and harder to coupon in. What generally works best is to do lots of little trips - not exactly practical with a little one - but may make it a bit easier for you. They tend to be much nicer when you shop with 10-15 coupons versus 50+. Without a set policy basically they can change the rules randomly and you have to go with their whims. That can be insanely annoying but you can work with it. Just know that they may get weird with the rules. But it can be done, and savings money will be worth the bit of butt pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomadicpixie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
awood279 has posted more than 100 good deals!awood279 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Thank you so much for this info. I was debating on either making my own or buying one off ebay. This helps a lot in that decission.

New at Couponing! Need help & guidance!!

The Following User Says Thank You to awood279 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Jules

julesbebanks has posted more than 10 good deals
i love how helpful this website is
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julesbebanks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2011, 07:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
awood279 has posted more than 100 good deals!awood279 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I'm a newbie, only about 2 weeks into this adventure! I've got my binder set up but am only putting q's that I would use in it. I've got a stack of other q's I've clipped for trades & trains. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them; either set up another binder ($$) or a large filing box (shoe box style) and organize them that way.

Any suggestions? I know I will just have to play with it but I was wondering if anyone had any wisdom they could provide that would help me avoid things that are known to fail.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM

lovin AFC
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awood279 View Post
I'm a newbie, only about 2 weeks into this adventure! I've got my binder set up but am only putting q's that I would use in it. I've got a stack of other q's I've clipped for trades & trains. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them; either set up another binder ($$) or a large filing box (shoe box style) and organize them that way.

Any suggestions? I know I will just have to play with it but I was wondering if anyone had any wisdom they could provide that would help me avoid things that are known to fail.
For all the coupons I have to trade or I won't generally use I put in one of two bins/tubs/boxes. One is food, and the other is non-food items. Other than that i don't sort them too much. When I go to trade I just flip through them. I'm too lazy to sort them more since I just drop them in the bins as I receive them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomadicpixie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicpixie View Post
For all the coupons I have to trade or I won't generally use I put in one of two bins/tubs/boxes. One is food, and the other is non-food items. Other than that i don't sort them too much. When I go to trade I just flip through them. I'm too lazy to sort them more since I just drop them in the bins as I receive them.
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I really didn't feel like putting all the q's I wouldn't use into my binder.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

My Mood/Status:
marysmith24 has posted more than 1 good deal
how do you get products for free i might save 1 dollar here and there but how in the world is it free? thanks denise
The Following User Says Thank You to marysmith24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
Denise,
I'm super new at this but I will attempt to answer your question with what I do....

I clip all the coupons I can, papers & online, then file them and wait for the "match-up" so be posted. (match-up: posted on multiple websites and list what current sales pair up with what current coupons.) Once those are posted, I look over them and see if I have any coupons that would make a deal work. If I do, I hit the store and grab up some deals. If I don't, I look on the FSOT section or coupon database to see if anyone else has the coupons I'm interested in & work out a deal.

An example of a recent deal was at Farm Fresh this Wednesday ($1 Double Q Day). They had Softsoap Hand Soap on sale for $1.00 each and I had a coupon for $1.00 off 2. The coupon doubled to $2.00, so I got both of them for FREE!

Another example, Harris Teeter had Gold Peak Ice Tea on sale for 2 for $4.00 and they were tripling coupons. I had 2 coupon for $.75 off 1 which tripled to $4.50 off (no overage) so I got them for FREE.

I guess the secret is simple, just save up lots of coupons for things you'd normally buy or aren't too picky on brand about, then sit tight and wait for the sale to hit.

Hope that helps. I still have LOTS to learn but that has worked for me over the last couple weeks.

-Angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysmith24 View Post
how do you get products for free i might save 1 dollar here and there but how in the world is it free? thanks denise

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awood279 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM

GOONIES!
When it rains, it pours...

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awood279 View Post

I have all of the q's I know I won't use in an old shoe box with dividers that match up to the categories in my binder. It comes in VERY helpful when I'm doing trains or ROAK's.
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM

GOONIES!
When it rains, it pours...

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysmith24 View Post
Most people who coupon infrequently get into the habit of using a coupon the same week it comes out in the insert. STOP!! Check the ad previews for the stores you shop here on AFC. Wait until a REALLY good sales comes along and use your q's then!

Example: My 5yo son will not drink juice boxes at lunch. He only wants milk but the milk boxes they sell at his school cost $.75 each and I can't send him milk due to his lunch not being refridgerated during the school day.

SO, I waited and waited until the Horizon Organic Milk Boxes that he likes went on a mega sale at Kroger two weeks ago. Typically they cost between $2.99 and $3.99 for a three pack depending on what store I'm shopping at. The mega sale had them on sale for $2.49 - $.50 when you bought 10. SO, I traded for as many $1/2 q's as I possibly could and was able to bring home 100 - 3 packs for $1.49 each. That's a 50-75% savings off retail. I will not have to purchase him milk boxes for nearly 2 years.

The other way to save more than the $1 you are now is by shopping at the drug stores as much as possible for all of your health and beauty needs. With all of the promos they run, you should NEVER be spending money on things like toothpaste, toothbrushes, body wash, soap, shampoo, lotion, hairspray, etc, etc, etc.

HTH.
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
Momuv5 has posted more than 1 good deal
Thanks, very helpful! I tried my sons baseball card sleeves, I am def.using photo ones! Thanks again.....jennifer
The Following User Says Thank You to Momuv5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
Momuv5 has posted more than 1 good deal
great advice on saving the coupons!
Jen
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 PM

jimmyandrobin has posted more than 150 good deals!jimmyandrobin has posted more than 150 good deals!
I use the binder system with baseball card holders. At the front of the binder I have a couple of pages labeled for each store I shop at. When I am filing my coupons into their categories, if I see one I want to use or check on at a particuar store I put it in the page for that store. Then next time I am at the store I am not fumbling through a dozen or more q's, I just look at the page(s) for that store, it also serves as my shopping list. If I decide to use the coupon I take it out of its holder and put it in the front pocket to give to the cashier. This system works for me.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM

lovin AFC
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
bump so I can find this thread, get back to top to help others

The Following User Says Thank You to nomadicpixie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 AM

My Mood/Status:
lbrude has posted more than 25 good deals
binders

I posted this the other day on the staples forum the other day but when I saw this one figured I'd post it here as well. Saturday I went to staples looking for the baseball card insets and found binders on clearance. they had duel ring regularly 19.99 marked to 4.50 and single ring regularly 19.99 marked to 3.50. needless to say I bought 3 of them (kicking myself now that I didn't buy more). I also was able to buy 10 packs of the inserts. my binder is now put together and I love it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lbrude For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 PM

niffernay has posted more than 5 good deals
Thank you for the post. It is very informative and helpful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niffernay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM

khieb has posted more than 10 good deals
Thank you for this post - VERY helpful!
The Following User Says Thank You to khieb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 03:26 PM

PLEASE SEE MY VISITOR MESSAGES!!!
Why do PIF's have to be soo ADDICTIVE???

My Mood/Status:
Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Jennah73 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Thank you!!!!

Jennifer, wife to a wonderful man
Bruce, mother to William
6yrs old, Ashleigh
15yrs old, Jessica
18yrs old, and step-daughter Shannon
15yrs old, and Tinkerbell
(8yr old Cha-weinie)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jennah73 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Had a great day shopping!

My Mood/Status:
frugalmommy2012 has posted more than 5 good deals
Thank you, I had started but you gave me some great ideas on how to make it better. Another thing that I have found is keeping my store coupons separate from my mfr coupons. That way I can find them quickly and easily in the store.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 PM

livingston has posted more than 1 good deal
Thanks! This is so incredibly helpful!! It is so hard to know where to start and also how to organize. I have realized no matter what it is in my life, it always goes better if I can find a way to organize it properly to begin with!!
The Following User Says Thank You to livingston For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM

AlPal has posted more than 25 good deals
Thanks! Right now i am using an accordion folder which seams to be working ok but i think how being able to actually see each coupon with out taking them out might be more time efficient! I may have to upgrade soon. First i have to get it all down pat and figure everything out....
Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 AM

Ashleynichole86 has posted more than 5 good deals
THANK YOU soooo MUCH FORE YOUR so awesome !!!!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 AM

AlPal has posted more than 25 good deals
Can someone post a picture of your binder? I am having trouble visualizing what it should/can look like.

Tags
binder, how to