Coupon Binder Basics/How To

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM

RE: Coupon Binder Basics/How to

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

erinstrickland has posted more than 10 good deals
I just set up my binder and have to say while it was time consuming it was well worth it. The hardest part was trying to figure out what would work for me. I'm sure it will be a work in progress but for now I have a Case it Z style binder. Its like 2 1.5 inch binders in one. One side holds my food in alphabetical order by brand the other is non food organized by category. It's working well so far. I had a bunch of envelopes for food organized by category and found I wouldn't remember what category I put certain items in.

BTW Great post to help newbies start with their binder!
The Following User Says Thank You to erinstrickland For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:32 PM

My Mood/Status:
nvjend has posted more than 25 good deals
Thank you this was very helpful!
The Following User Says Thank You to nvjend For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM

linnatu has posted more than 5 good deals
were you in my house? I set up the same notebook. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to linnatu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Raising ethically home grown meat.
Super Mommy

My Mood/Status:
motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!
I have 2 binders. One for Food Coupons, one for non-food coupons. Together they weigh in at 11.4lbs. I choose to organize them alphabetically by manufacturer as listed on the coupon. I have ocd and have found this way works best for me. I can see the drawbacks and the pluses to all plans though, so way to go all!
The Following User Says Thank You to motherofcoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
OnyxRDragon has posted more than 200 great deals!OnyxRDragon has posted more than 200 great deals!OnyxRDragon has posted more than 200 great deals!
Thank you for the information! Whoever posted about putting the coupon policy and the store coupons in the binder, also thank you! Never even thought about that!
The Following User Says Thank You to OnyxRDragon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Super Mommy

My Mood/Status:
motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!motherofcoupons has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRDragon View Post
Thank you for the information! Whoever posted about putting the coupon policy and the store coupons in the binder, also thank you! Never even thought about that!
It definitely comes in handy for when you get a cashier that doesn't know, or a CSM that doesn't know, just remember to always be polite and gentle when making your corrections. It's not what you say but how you say it and they are more willing to work with you on future deals/discounts if you don't treat them like crap today.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
OnyxRDragon has posted more than 200 great deals!OnyxRDragon has posted more than 200 great deals!OnyxRDragon has posted more than 200 great deals!
I quite dislike treating people poorly, so I always try to be as courteous as possible, or at least I hope I am. I worked as a cashier for awhile and would feel bad if I suddenly treated one poorly. I actually usually feel bad for making the cashiers have to scan my coupons sometimes
The Following User Says Thank You to OnyxRDragon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Searching for deals!

2save4us has posted more than 100 good deals!2save4us has posted more than 100 good deals!
I have been using my binder for 3 years. While it is time consuming, it is well worth it! Organization for me is key!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2save4us For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Trying to be a Proverbs 31 woman
"My Home" Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Great breakdown!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Colton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, & Reagan

Join us in
!
The Following User Says Thank You to brieclark For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Super Mommy

My Mood/Status:
It is very well worth it. For example, when I went to the store with my mom the other day, I saved $52.50. For a minimum wage job, take-home pay is about that much per day, so a few hours of work translated to a day's pay, not bad at all.

And I don't like treating people poorly either as I dont want my kids to think that it's acceptable in any way. One of my biggest pet peeves (having been a cashier at Walmart on front lines and in the Pharmacy) are those customers that refuse to get off their cell phones while checking out, so as a shopper I strive to never let that happen unless it's an absolute emergency like a phone call from a doctor. I just dont see what is so important that it can't afford you a few minutes to be courteous to people.

I love my binders and I've only been couponing since April! I view them as a source of pride that I'm helping my husband (the job holder) stretch every single dollar that comes into this house as far as it can go.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Mel!

vanklema has posted more than 200 great deals!vanklema has posted more than 200 great deals!vanklema has posted more than 200 great deals!
I actually have two binders, one I take into the store with Q's I'm going to use in it (or might use in the future) and the other binder stays at my computer and is my FSOT (for sale or trade) binder. It is organized categorically, while the one I take into the store is alphabetical. I find that having a FSOT binder eliminates the need for a coupon tracking spreadsheet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vanklema For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Super Mommy

My Mood/Status:
I actually don't feel the need for a spreadsheet myself, and I'm pretty good on the FSOT front, and have sent several AFC envies off this week and am joining a train. I think all that matters is that you adopt an interesting plan/strategy and then adapt it to what your personal needs/wants are and then go from there. The possibilities are endless really!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Anna_guitreau has posted more than 5 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRDragon
Where would you find the policy for each store online?
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna_guitreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 AM

My Mood/Status:
snarry83 has posted more than 10 good deals
Thank you so much for the grommet idea, I have a 1 year old that I have to carry and this will make it so much easier to carry my binder and purse.
The Following User Says Thank You to snarry83 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 PM

joyful224 has posted more than 1 good deal
joyful224

Like so many others, I'm new to couponing, as well as in a financially difficult place. I'm reading everything I can find on beginning before I attempt shopping. Does anyone know of another couponer in my area? My sister and I would love getting together and sharing info. We live north of Phila. in Doylestown and Chalfont, Pa.

Thanks for the help
The Following User Says Thank You to joyful224 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 AM

thriftysb has posted more than 75 good deals!
thanks for the binder tips! right now, I just use a small accordian file. I don't have enough space to break up the categories, so it takes me forever to sift through to find something when I see an unexpected sale at the store. definitely will be working on my binder!
The Following User Says Thank You to thriftysb For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Super Mommy

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftysb View Post
thanks for the binder tips! right now, I just use a small accordian file. I don't have enough space to break up the categories, so it takes me forever to sift through to find something when I see an unexpected sale at the store. definitely will be working on my binder!
A great tip if you are on a tight budget and can't afford the average $10 pricetage for a zipup binder (I recommend this especially if you have kids so you don't end up with Jr. accidentally dropping all your Q's out of the binder), try to stretch what you have for a little bit longer until the back to school sales kick in when you'll probably be able to get them on sale for a cheap amount!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:35 PM

thriftysb has posted more than 75 good deals!
Great idea! I can hold out for another month or so
The Following User Says Thank You to thriftysb For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 PM

My Mood/Status:
mzinkan has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofcoupons
I have 2 binders. One for Food Coupons, one for non-food coupons. Together they weigh in at 11.4lbs. I choose to organize them alphabetically by manufacturer as listed on the coupon. I have ocd and have found this way works best for me. I can see the drawbacks and the pluses to all plans though, so way to go all!
Great idea! I'll have to try this!
The Following User Says Thank You to mzinkan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM

What a bunch of good ideas. Thanks, I can't wait tp begin.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:51 PM

Couponing with Allergies

happydorkgirl has posted more than 75 good deals!
I'm wrapping up my second week of couponing and, thus far, a small accordion filer is all I've needed. I don't seem to need the amount of coupons everyone else does, though; I have so many allergies and need to be brand-specific on most things, while my parents are VERY brand specific and won't buy any item in a different brand regardless of coupon!

Maybe I'll need to upgrade as I get further into couponing. I'm doing a lot of trades now; I may need to organize those! I never thought of keeping the coupon guidelines with me. I should probably do that too.

I have this month's P&G, SS, and more! Check FSOT. PLEASE trade with me!
The Following User Says Thank You to happydorkgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Super Mommy

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydorkgirl View Post
I'm wrapping up my second week of couponing and, thus far, a small accordion filer is all I've needed. I don't seem to need the amount of coupons everyone else does, though; I have so many allergies and need to be brand-specific on most things, while my parents are VERY brand specific and won't buy any item in a different brand regardless of coupon!

Maybe I'll need to upgrade as I get further into couponing. I'm doing a lot of trades now; I may need to organize those! I never thought of keeping the coupon guidelines with me. I should probably do that too.
At first all I needed was a small accordion file. Then I got too many coupons and started keeping them unclipped and filed that way. As I got too many again I finally graduated to the binder method. If you have a lot of allergies and are determined to stay brand specific, then you might or might not evolve into a binder. For others, it's the only way to go as if I saw a sale in a store and wanted to check for a specific coupon, I could beat an accordion filer hands down in most cases, I say in most because as you start to get a lot, it's easier to lose track of them in an accordion file. Whichever you choose, just have fun with it and gl!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:10 PM

iT'S amazing how many of us are in the same boat. Relatively new to such a level of
couponing. I'm having such a great time. Thanks to everyone for for their generosity & help.
Joyce
Old 06-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Super Mommy

My Mood/Status:
I'm only 2months old in the ways of the couponer...but it's so fun that I can't help it. I actually was interested before the show came out and made it explode.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM

My Mood/Status:
jlugo1125 has posted more than 1 good deal
I found your info very useful!! Thanks so much

Tags
binder, how to