Spreadsheet Or Database For Coupon Maintaining?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

LTParis has posted more than 50 good deals
Spreadsheet or database for coupon maintaining?

So until the day that someone comes out with an online database for coupon maintenance I wonder how many people maintain spreadsheets or databases of their coupon collection? I am starting to get to the point of starting one, but wonder if it's worth the additional maintenance effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to LTParis For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 PM

RE: Spreadsheet or database for coupon maintaining?

Crazy for CVS

OUMomof3 has posted more than 10 good deals
I do one and update it each week when I receive the new inserts. I get way too frustrated with regional differences and not being able to find a coupon only to realize that it didn't come in our paper in the first place. I have a spreadsheet that I enter in everything posted online, then add in what we received additionally, and then move what we did not get into another workbook. This way, if we didn't get a hot coupon, I know I should get on and find it for trade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OUMomof3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 01:19 PM

What kind of time and effort do you put into this? Right now I am thinking it will take me an hour or two at least to cover what I have in my folder now.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Crazy for CVS

Depending on how many inserts we get that week it can take as long as an hour (when we had the 5 inserts a few weeks back) to as little as 20 minutes for one or two. It was a long process at first but I've put in some macros into Excel that has really helped to speed it up.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
wiser_dude has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMomof3 View Post
Depending on how many inserts we get that week it can take as long as an hour (when we had the 5 inserts a few weeks back) to as little as 20 minutes for one or two. It was a long process at first but I've put in some macros into Excel that has really helped to speed it up.
I also have a spreadsheet with all of my coupons and, today, sat down and entered all three inserts on my spreadsheet and then copied just the new ones from today to the attached sheet.

I'm not a real fast typist and it took me about four hours to enter all of the coupons. I'd like to find out about the macros and compare your sheet to mine so we can get the best from both to exploit.

Please take a look at the attached file and let me know what you think.

Thanx!

Last edited by wiser_dude; 06-18-2011 at 11:07 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wiser_dude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 AM

NanaMG has posted more than 1 good deal
You're a genius! I copied yours, modified it how I want it to be and I know it is going to be very helpful.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 AM

Wow that spreadsheet is very detailed. I started last night a basis for a price sheet and with any luck I might be able to create formulas that will match the coupon database. If I am successful I will of course share.
The Following User Says Thank You to LTParis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 AM

kharlan
This will be very helpful, thanks!!

Karen
Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Crazy for CVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser_dude View Post
I also have a spreadsheet with all of my coupons and, today, sat down and entered all three inserts on my spreadsheet and then copied just the new ones from today to the attached sheet.

I'm not a real fast typist and it took me about four hours to enter all of the coupons. I'd like to find out about the macros and compare your sheet to mine so we can get the best from both to exploit.

Please take a look at the attached file and let me know what you think.

Thanx!
NICE SPREADSHEET! I really like how you have broken everything down. Very detailed. Mine doesn’t have nearly as many columns. I have placed a copy here.

First I get the list online from Sunday Coupon Preview dot com (no spaces). I paste it into a word document and run the macro. (Attached here in a notepad document. You can add it to yours by clicking Alt-F11 and pasting everything into the box at right, then saving.) You could easily add more to it to place tabs anywhere you want a new column. You’ll have to use ‘wildcards’ in the find and replace to get the Brand and Description separated for your spreadsheet. I am not sure if all those items are separated by commas.

I then copy everything and paste into excel. (I put each insert on its own worksheet.) This divides everything up into the different columns. There are always a few that are a little ‘off’ and I fix these first. I then take the Amount off column and move it to the column A, just so it is easier to see. Sometimes we receive a different value. Next, I sort by the Product column alphabetically. Then add a column in front.

When I go through my inserts, I put an ‘x’ into the first column for the coupons I received and add any that we also received at the bottom. After I have finished looking through the insert, I cut all the non ‘x’-ed rows and paste them further down the list. Then I delete the first column.

HTH. I hope I explained it okay. This week took me 30 minutes.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CouponListMacro.txt (2.4 KB, 646 views)
File Type: xls 6.5.xls (41.0 KB, 522 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OUMomof3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
Greetings:

I tried to upload the spreadsheet for 6/12 - both RP and SS - in the same forum as the text was posted. However, the attachment tool isn't available there, so I'm going to post it here.

Thank you (whoever the original typist is) for your hard work.

The Excel file attachment has both the Red Plum and SmartSource coupons listed in spreadsheet format.

I, obviously, cannot input the SKU numbers and you probably don't need them anyway.

All you need to do is insert the number of copies for each coupon you have (if you need or want that information) then bring it into your spreadsheet column by column.

I have a system (now) for getting the information from the raw form into the spreadsheet so it was hardly any work for me and very, very little typing to straighten up a few formatting problems.

Enjoy! If you have any suggestions for improving the sheet, please leave me feedback.

Last edited by wiser_dude; 06-18-2011 at 11:07 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wiser_dude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 AM

What is the method where are are getting your data in raw form? This would certainly solve a lot of issues with time!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
What is the method where are are getting your data in raw form? This would certainly solve a lot of issues with time!
I took the information directly from the SS and RP previews posted yesterday from this site and left a "Thank You" to the typist who originated the post.

Last edited by wiser_dude; 06-07-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Nnitabugg has posted more than 75 good deals!
Thank you both for sharing your spreadsheets. I kept one once, but it took so long to maintain. You have inspired me to try again. I really liked being about to see at a glance what I had.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
dee15mom has posted more than 100 good deals!dee15mom has posted more than 100 good deals!
I'm not seeing the spreadsheet.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee15mom View Post
I'm not seeing the spreadsheet.
Post number 5 has June 5th coupons
Post number 8 has June 12th coupons

Please look at the bottom left hand side of the post and see the "Attachment area".

You may left click and open the file or right click and save the file to your hard drive, then open it from My Documents or whatever directory you saved it in.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
dee15mom has posted more than 100 good deals!dee15mom has posted more than 100 good deals!
I was on my ipad app, so it wasn't showing up. Now it is, thank you !
Old 06-18-2011, 01:20 AM

ello!

My Mood/Status:
xxdrksideofthemoonxx has posted more than 1 good deal
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser_dude View Post
Greetings:

I tried to upload the spreadsheet for 6/12 - both RP and SS - in the same forum as the text was posted. However, the attachment tool isn't available there, so I'm going to post it here.

Thank you (whoever the original typist is) for your hard work.

The Excel file attachment has both the Red Plum and SmartSource coupons listed in spreadsheet format.

I, obviously, cannot input the SKU numbers and you probably don't need them anyway.

All you need to do is insert the number of copies for each coupon you have (if you need or want that information) then bring it into your spreadsheet column by column.

I have a system (now) for getting the information from the raw form into the spreadsheet so it was hardly any work for me and very, very little typing to straighten up a few formatting problems.

Enjoy! If you have any suggestions for improving the sheet, please leave me feedback.

Thanks a bunch for posting your spreadsheets, they helped me out a bunch!

-Megan
Old 06-18-2011, 01:28 AM

Re-newbie.

My Mood/Status:
Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
But if you're taking it from the previews - what happens when you don't get a certain coupon because of regional differences? If you're missing one, or have one not listed, y our list is still off.

Obviously you could go through and compare, but keep in mind the preview may not mean you have them or that you may get ones not listed!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhold View Post
But if you're taking it from the previews - what happens when you don't get a certain coupon because of regional differences? If you're missing one, or have one not listed, your list is still off.

Obviously you could go through and compare, but keep in mind the preview may not mean you have them or that you may get ones not listed!
I discovered that exact thing when looking through the June 12th coupons. The Houston area had many, many more coupons in it than the preview. I inventoried each coupon in the insert against the preview and have a complete adjusted listing of every coupon for the Houston area. Also, there were a few coupons listed that we didn't get.

I've attached it so you can see the differences. In column "C" labeled Cpn Qty, any row with a zero ( 0 ) is a preview that we did not get and any quantity with a ( + ) preceeding the quantity is a coupon which the Houston area received that was not listed in the preview.

One of my earlier posts here mentioned that differences between the preview and the actual coupons received would need reconciliation. In the June 12th printing, there were 48 additions made to the spreadsheet to reconcile the differences between the preview and the coupons received in the Sunday paper. When I saw the preview, I thought the coupon insert would be thin. Then, I got the insert and couldn't believe the differences between the preview and the actual insert.

Of course, some of the inserts we received in the Houston area are for products that are not available in other areas of the country such as Blue Bell Ice Cream so it wouldn't be applicable anyway to other regions.

The best I can do is format the preview and hope that regional differences don't take too long to make corrections. Hopefully, formatting the preview will cut down on the time each person spends on typing and most of the time provide a fairly complete insert to use as a starting point.

The Cpn Qty column is the column I use to "inventory" the insert. As I turn through each page looking at the coupons and find them on the sheet, I enter the "1" or "+1" depending on whether the coupon is listed in the preview or it's not in the preview but in the local insert.

Thanks for your input. H.T.H.
Attached Files
File Type: xls June 12 - Coupon Inserts.xls (34.0 KB, 369 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
The SmartSource preivew wasn't posted at the same time the Red Plum insert was available and I just formatted the SmartSource preview and combined it with the Red Plum to yield the preview for June 19th.

There aren't many coupons listed in the SmartSource and i expect to see regional differences again this week. I can post the amended spreadsheet once I have the regional differences (for my region - Houston) corrected in the spreadsheet.
Attached Files
File Type: xls June 19 - Coupon Inserts.xls (21.5 KB, 245 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Bouncing around the room!
Midwest Couponers Train (MWC) Rocks!!!!

My Mood/Status:
gypciz has posted more than 200 great deals!gypciz has posted more than 200 great deals!gypciz has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
So until the day that someone comes out with an online database for coupon maintenance I wonder how many people maintain spreadsheets or databases of their coupon collection? I am starting to get to the point of starting one, but wonder if it's worth the additional maintenance effort.
I created a spreadsheet for my coupons and my husband is currently converting it into a database for me. Works better than opening a binder and sorting (in the store) for every sale. I'll post again when the database is done.
The Following User Says Thank You to gypciz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypciz View Post
I created a spreadsheet for my coupons and my husband is currently converting it into a database for me. Works better than opening a binder and sorting (in the store) for every sale. I'll post again when the database is done.
A database requires quite a bit more work in maintenance than an Excel spreadsheet. The upside to a database is the ease in determining if you have a particular coupon. But, I don't think the time saved will overcome the maintenance needed to delete each coupon which you use and keeping track and deleting every coupon that expires before you use it.

Of course, depending on the amount of programming that accompanies the database, you could have a customized database which will yield the best of both worlds - it is possible. However, the programming needed would be extensive. I've thought about doing the same for myself, but it's just too exhaustive for the return on investment - unless you wanted to market it commercially. And then, I don't know if you could find a market for it at an affordable price. That's what has stopped me from developing a database for my coupons - I initially thought I might market it commercially, but after reading though this site, I decided that it wouldn't be worth my time for the return on my investment - although, I just might be wrong and sorry that I didn't do it first!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Re-newbie.

My Mood/Status:
Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
For awhile I did a spreadsheet but it was just too much time involved. I figured "If I am going to spend this much time, I might as well just do a binder!" so, I did.

2 binders later, I decided to just go back to a box method (I'm still working on it and will post pictures later tonight hopefully) but now I'm back to not knowing what I have, haha.

I hope by making more specific categories, it will tremendously help, but if not, I will go back to making a spreadsheet. I'm lucky that SOuthernsavers posts what the exact coupons the AJC gets weekly are, but they do not list the coupons I get in Atlanta's Evening Edge (the free paper).

I only get 4 AJC, so I cut those, but I get 50-60 of the AEE from neighbors and file those whole, so I imagine I will need to figure something out soon enough.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Rite Aid is my new favorite store!

My Mood/Status:
Amccordford has posted more than 25 good deals
These are so wonderful! Thank you both so very very much! Is there a way to convert the spreadsheets into a Google Document? Or sync it or whatever the term is? I can easily access my Google Docs with my iPhone, but I haven't figured out Excel or OpenOffice...
Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 PM

All4Savings
I cannot thank you enough for these spreadsheets. I have a 5 month old baby and no time to clip.. I just have a mess... of coupons and inserts now.

I was wondering about starting the spreadsheet but no idea what would be good to input. THANKS!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: