Savings Tracker And Price Guide Spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Slightly overwhelmed with this site

dgphelps has posted more than 25 good deals
Savings Tracker and Price Guide Spreadsheet

I mentioned this in another thread and thought it might be useful to others.

I've created a spreadsheet to track how much we spend and save and what good deals are. Here is a link to a template in Google Docs. If you'd like to use it yourself go to File --> Make a Copy and it will copy and editable version to your own Google Docs.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...thkey=CJK0wOoP

There are two parts to this worksheet:

Savings Tracker:
This is where I track each trip to the store for groceries and calculate the regular price, the price after sales and coupons, the total savings, and the percent saved.

At the end of each month I tally up by store to see where I spent the most and what my spend was per week. This sheet is easy to use and quick though it may require adding new stores into the month total section which is easy if you copy the formulas.

Grocery Itemized Pricing:
This is the time consuming page. It stands alone and does not speak to the other sheet. This sheet tracks each item per visit along with the regular cost and sales cost and breaks it out into a weight and a unit price. In the sample, I have sorted the rows by name of item to give a month summary of what was purchased. If you look at sugar, you can see that I got a much better deal at Safeway and in the future I will shoot to stock up when I see it that price or lower.

The idea for this sheet is to get a picture over time of what the regular cost is per item we frequently buy and what kind of deals (and when) we get. I plan to print this out and keep it handy when planning shopping trips so we know how much is too much and when/where to buy.

There is likely a lot more I could add to this. If anyone has any specific requests or questions let me know and I can try to fiddle with it to update and make it better for general use.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 PM

RE: Savings Tracker and Price Guide Spreadsheet

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Coupon Goldie

My Mood/Status:
busysoaplady has posted more than 10 good deals
this is great! thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
Kerikay has posted more than 1 good deal
I may need to start tracking. Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
SouthernladyRTR has posted more than 1 good deal
That's great! Thanks =)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!1NMMom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
This is great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Anne
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 PM

I started my stockpile =)

My Mood/Status:
AmersBee has posted more than 10 good deals
Excellent idea. I need to track better. I am scared I won't know what the best deal for something is when I see it. I might think it is the best deal but it might not be. So thanks bunches =)
Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 AM

kharlan
This is great, thanks.

I've been playing with this idea for a few weeks now trying to decide how I wanted to organize a spreadsheet and you've done an excellent job!

I've also been saving my sales ads for a few weeks so I can create a spreadsheet of the products we use and track the sales cycles of the different stores, ie: CVS, Riteaid, WAGS, Kroger, etc.

Karen
Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Eboonesews has posted more than 300 great deals!Eboonesews has posted more than 300 great deals!Eboonesews has posted more than 300 great deals!Eboonesews has posted more than 300 great deals!
This is great. I love it.
What is the "Thrown out" column for?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:11 PM

taking a break

My Mood/Status:
vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thank you so much for this! The grocery itemized page is a little confusing to me but I'm sure after I play around with it I'll understand it better! The savings tracker is exactly what I was trying to do but for some reason I just couldn't get it to work for me. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM

MLM5787 has posted more than 25 good deals
I want to do a price tracker so bad but I dont feel like we consistently buy a specifuc product
Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM

I
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
tre8jse has posted more than 50 good deals
Thanks for sharing!!! This is a great idea!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

Sorry I forgot to mention throw out. That's my attempt to keep an eye on foods that spoil or don't get used. There is nothing worse than throwing out meat or produce so this is my attempt to be extra diligent by tracking what I am throwing away in terms of cost.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Thankful, and oh so blessed!
Looser of Marbles

My Mood/Status:
~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!~Em~ has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks that is clever! I don't know much about these documents, but going to look into it a bit more
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM

kathyc13357
Thank you! I'll try it!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 AM

My Mood/Status:
wiser_dude has posted more than 50 good deals
I've thought about doing the same thing except I can never seem to get the register receipt and sit down long enough to do it. I have all of my coupons listed in an Excel spreadsheet and keep track of the expiration dates through it.

I've just begun the learning curve to couponing and am still trying to figure out what how to be effective and efficient while getting the most bang for my buck.

Thank you - SO MUCH - for sharing your spreadsheet with us. Yours is quite a bit more sophisticated than the one I started.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
luv2qpon has posted more than 1 good deal
Thank you sooooo much for this. I've always thought about doing this, but just didn't have a clue in putting it together. So thank you thank you!!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 AM

NanaMG has posted more than 1 good deal
I made a copy of the first worksheet and it is going to be immensely helpful, but where is the second worksheet? I am so glad I ran into this forum, you just don't know!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Hi Nana, you should see two tabs at the bottom which will take you to each sheet. I imagine your copy has both already.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
CKNu2Saving has posted more than 1 good deal
This is awesome! Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
dzingirl has posted more than 10 good deals
Great ideas - thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Nnitabugg has posted more than 75 good deals!
WOW...thanks so much. I can see this will be very useful...now, to make myself focus on tracking it.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:41 AM

ello!

My Mood/Status:
xxdrksideofthemoonxx has posted more than 1 good deal
Thanx a bunch! but one question whats the best way to keep track of what coupons you have and they're expiration dates using a spreadsheet?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
Secret Shopper
This is great! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM

My Mood/Status:
wiser_dude has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdrksideofthemoonxx View Post
Thanx a bunch! but one question whats the best way to keep track of what coupons you have and they're expiration dates using a spreadsheet?
Spreadsheets are very flexible. Let me answer the expiration question first.

In order to know which coupons I have that are coming up for expiration, I sort the sheet by the expiration date - oldest date first - which is the ascending option within sort.

To keep track, you must delete coupons that you have redeemed and add new coupons to the sheet. Deleting redeemed coupons isn't a big deal and can be done very easily. Adding coupons is the toughest part. You have to find a way to get them added and that could mean entering them in the sheet by typing. If you use my listing of the new coupons being issued, you first enter (if you want) the number of coupons you have and then copy my spreadsheet and paste it into yours, then save it with the changes.

So, knowing your way around Excel to maintain the spreadsheet is a necessity if you are to utilize a spreadsheet to manage your coupon inventory.

I have the ability to take the raw data from the Sunday coupon review and use the text file to create an Excel spreadsheet with very little work using Excel to automate the process for me. I will continue posting the files as long as I am able - currently, I am unemployed and am using couponing to make my available dollars stretch to the max. If I should find employment, I may still coupon, but may not have time to post in these forums to the extent I am now.

If I have enough people that like the spreadsheet that I am creating and posting, I will stop posting it for free and charge a small sum for my work by emailing it directly to all who subscribe to receive it. I've spent the last twenty years expanding my computer and software knowledge and should be able to use those developed skills to help earn a living while I am unemployed by offseting my time and effort providing the spreadsheet as a time saver for all those here who want to use a spreadsheet, but don't have the level of skill needed to produce the sheet without typing to input it into their spreadsheet.

I hope I've answered your question and haven't rambled on too long about my situation.

I will continue posting the spreadsheet for a couple of weeks for all to use. After that, if it is a time saver for those using it and people are using it to manage their coupons, I'd like to charge a small fee (to be determined - probably not more tha $1.00 per week) to supplement my lack of income while providing a useful service.

Last edited by wiser_dude; 06-08-2011 at 09:23 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wiser_dude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM

My Mood/Status:
whatshequilted has posted more than 25 good deals
Thanks!!

Tags
excel, price guide, savings, spreadsheet, tracker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: