Tips & Tricks For Using Food Stamps And Couponing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Just lookin for those deals!

My Mood/Status:
kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Goldbox Tips & Tricks for Using Food Stamps and Couponing

Okay, now if you do a search the site for "food Stamps" and "Couponing" you get a whole list, mostly just the same thing over and over again "Can I use coupons with food stamps?" The answer is you can, but sometimes theres little tips & Tricks to how to do it. So I figure we should start this thread and anyone who has any tips/tricks to using q's with food stamps, please post them here for everyone. Try not to repeat tips.

I will start:

(I see this happen all the time at the store)
If you have coupons for both food and non-food items and are using EBT you can use them in one order but you will have to do it like this: Let the cashier ring it all up then hand them ONLY the food coupons. Then pay by food stamps. You should now have a total that is only the non-food items that the food stamps did not cover (such as paper products, HHB, etc.) Now hand over the remaining non-food item coupons. Then pay.

Why do you have to do it this way? Because if you just give all the coupons over at the start, then the computer takes the coupons off of the food items automatically. So your remaining balance will be much larger. If you do it the way I posted, you reduced your OOP because the non-food coupons will be taken off of the products it is supposed to be taken off of.

Hope that makes sense!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to our little girl, and an avid saver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

{{{{No longer a coupon newbie
}}}

WARNING: NEVER MAKE ME SKIP MY COFFEE

AND I'M NEVER AFRAID TO SPEAK MY MIND

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kholland19 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 PM

RE: Tips & Tricks for Using Food Stamps and Couponing

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!
At my local Walmart, coupons are taken off the non food items, not the food items. Granted, you will have less on your EBT card, but if you are in a pinch and out of a non food item, you end up only paying tax. Don't know if it is a glitch in the entire Walmart system or just my store. Anyone else run into this happening ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Danira For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Doesn't work like that at Cub Foods - you HAVE to separate your food from your non-food by doing separate transactions. I learned this the hard way! I tried the way you posted about, but when the cashier rang the coupons they didn't take ANY off my total and it then said FS change $23.00 (amount of coupons). Anyway, the q's there get taken off of the food instead of the non-food so I have learned to do my trans separately
The Following User Says Thank You to marcie26 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Just lookin for those deals!

My Mood/Status:
kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kholland19 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
It must be the different stores, cause everytime I go it is all just rung up together and the computer seperates it. Maybe it's a regional/store thing?
to our little girl, and an avid saver

{{{{No longer a coupon newbie
}}}

WARNING: NEVER MAKE ME SKIP MY COFFEE

AND I'M NEVER AFRAID TO SPEAK MY MIND

Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marcie26 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have no issues at CVS or Walgreens, but since the weekend I have not been able to use my card at either one - weird, huh? Says invalid card payment and yes there is money on my card - I called to have a new one sent to me because I can't get it to even swipe anyway since 2 weeks after I got it - what a pain in the butt
The Following User Says Thank You to marcie26 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 AM

kim_g_23966 has posted more than 1 good deal
Thanks

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I am going to be getting my EBT card soon and didn't even know you could use coupons for food with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kim_g_23966 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Ready for Vacation !

My Mood/Status:
phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!phoopaugh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for posting this ,It will be a lot of help to us.!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to phoopaugh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM

Starting a new job!

My Mood/Status:
srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!
I have never had a problem with giving all my Qs and then paying it all at the end. I'm confused about what you're saying OP.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
jenn_seratt has posted more than 100 good deals!jenn_seratt has posted more than 100 good deals!
Thanks for this thread. I'm scheduled to teach a couponing class and had no idea how these items worked together.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dani113077 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Ok for the people who are a little confused with what the OP is saying I forgot to separate my food/non food purchases.

I had several food items
2 ajax dish soaps (1.19 each)
-food coupons
-2 (.50 ajax coupons) doubled

The coupons doubled so my cash total should have only been .19 for each dish soap plus tax. (.38 + tax). However they took the coupon amount off of my food purchase ($2). So I had to pay 2.38 plus tax in cash.
So I still got my $2 off, but it came off of my food total that I could pay for with EBT and not my cash total. I am one of the few who really NEEDS it to come off of my cash total. I would have loved to pay .38 plus tax for 2 dish soaps.

Some stores do separate it in the computer, but I just go ahead and separate it in different transactions that way I can keep a better eye on it myself. It freaks me out when my total is $30 and I only have $5 cash on me!!!

Also I am charged tax on the coupon total even of food items. If I have $10 in food coupons I will pay .50 (roughly) to use them.

Also this is a very old thread... Almost 8 months old????

Last edited by dani113077; 03-17-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-18-2011, 11:38 AM

Starting a new job!

My Mood/Status:
srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!srbracelin has posted more than 400 great deals!
My food stamps are already gone for the month, so I'll have to wait till next month to see if there really is a difference. In my experience at some stores, the EBT covers the total cost of food, and the Qs are taken off my cash costs. Not sure why, but it doesn't make sense. I've checked out at Target before, expecting to pay $10 cash, and only forking out $2.50

Tags
couponing, ebt, food stamps, tips