How To Know A Coupon Will NOT Double Or Triple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

lucibello has posted more than 10 good deals
How to know a coupon will NOT double or triple

(in spite of what the coupon might say)...

It seems that every coupon says that it is not to be doubled or tripled, but (at least at my store) some will and some won't. I really need to know ahead of time which ones will, since my store always doubles them and sometimes has triples weekends. Knowing allows to me determine my savings ahead of time.

I asked a manager at my store. He said to look at the number code below the bar code. There is a tiny far-left number, usually a 5. If it is a 9, he said, it will NOT double. He said that the first number of the line of numbers must also NOT be a 9.

He said that there are sometimes other ways that the manufacturers mark the coupons to not be doubled, but that is the most basic way to know (the "9" rule).

Maybe this can help someone. Does anyone else know another way to tell?
The Following User Says Thank You to lucibello For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM

RE: How to know a coupon will NOT double or triple

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
from what I've been reading from those with doubles/triples having problems,

there are many cashiers/stores that disregard the 5 or 9 in the barcode, IF the coupon says

DO NOT DOUBLE/TRIPLE, that is what they follow. In fact many cashiers have been reported to un-double/un-triple coupons manually to follow management. technically, they are right and that covers their behind in case a complaint is lodged against them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bethaliz6894 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
my hostess coupons says do not double, they dont double and they start with 5. in fact all of my coupons that have looked at start with 5. what ones start with a 9?

my meijer use to double 2 like coupons up to 50 cents. now they have it so that some dont double. i just found out MY meijer started this today. i went through u-scan and they didnt double.i would love to find a way around this, legally. it will take some time to get into the habit of half my coupons doubling.
The Following User Says Thank You to bethaliz6894 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Coupons give me the warm and fuzzys

My Mood/Status:
Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Elizabeth8214 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I had some Hefty $.20 peelie and Halls Refresh $.50 that did not double, both started with 9. I have never had any problem with coupons that begin with 5, they always double for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth8214 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mommysclippingcoupons has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our stores only double up to a $1 and they will NOT......EVER! Double or Triple any q's that state on the top to not do so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& WONDERFUL DAUGTHER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

If my post helps you..............please click to say................................
The Following User Says Thank You to mommysclippingcoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!gingersnap61 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Too bad so many in the Safeway forum think it's ok no mater what the coupon says. I've tried to point this out in a few threads but no one seems to care. I'm sorry but if the coupon says Do Not Double then you should not try to double it. The store will end up taking the losses.
Where are the mods at AFC? why can't someone set up a few rules in the Safeway forum. I don't even want to read anything in that forum anymore. Things have gotten way out of hand here.

If you read the fine print on most coupons, you'll note that the manufacturer promises to pay the store back the face value of the coupon, plus usually 8 cents for handling. But with many stores offering double or triple coupons all the time, the manufacturer wants to be clear that it will only pay the face value. When a store chooses to double or triple coupons anyway, the store is basically taking a loss on the doubled part of the coupon.

So, for example, if you have a 50-cent coupon and the store doubles it to $1, the manufacturer will pay the store back 50 cents for the coupon, plus that 8 cents for handling. But the other 42 cents comes out of the store's pocket. Many stores choose to go ahead and double coupons anyway because it's a way to compete with other stores in the super-competitive grocery industry. And that is really good for shoppers!

----->23 yr ds
---->3 yr. ds

Currently collecting Nutro Dog or Cat food UPC codes, need 7 more.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 AM

AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap61 View Post
Too bad so many in the Safeway forum think it's ok no mater what the coupon says. I've tried to point this out in a few threads but no one seems to care. I'm sorry but if the coupon says Do Not Double then you should not try to double it. The store will end up taking the losses.
Where are the mods at AFC? why can't someone set up a few rules in the Safeway forum. I don't even want to read anything in that forum anymore. Things have gotten way out of hand here.

If you read the fine print on most coupons, you'll note that the manufacturer promises to pay the store back the face value of the coupon, plus usually 8 cents for handling. But with many stores offering double or triple coupons all the time, the manufacturer wants to be clear that it will only pay the face value. When a store chooses to double or triple coupons anyway, the store is basically taking a loss on the doubled part of the coupon.

So, for example, if you have a 50-cent coupon and the store doubles it to $1, the manufacturer will pay the store back 50 cents for the coupon, plus that 8 cents for handling. But the other 42 cents comes out of the store's pocket. Many stores choose to go ahead and double coupons anyway because it's a way to compete with other stores in the super-competitive grocery industry. And that is really good for shoppers!
Many stores choose to double or triple coupons that state "do not double/triple," even though they only receive face value for the coupon plus a handling fee. Store policies on doing this vary, so please be aware of your store policy when using coupons that say do not double/triple.

Also, if anyone reads a post that is promoting the misuse of coupons, we ask that you hit the "report" button in the bottom corner of each post, so that the mod/admin team can take a look at it. We cannot read every post on the boards, so we depend on our wonderful members to report anything they see that violates AFC rules, which you can find here: AFC Guidelines & TOS- A Full Cup - Coupons.

The Following User Says Thank You to aidan&logansmommy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap61 View Post

I understand what you're saying and your concerns. I know someone wrote to Safeway corporate and even posted the corp policy on accepting RRs which they DO NOT ACCEPT for reasons that they will not be reimbursed for catalinas that say redeemable at certain stores. the attention of mods were also called but I guess these issues that are left to each couponer's discretion.

as to the not doubling/tripling of DND and DNT coupons, it is up to store management if they choose to still double/triple in order to keep their customers. BUT if they choose not to, then customers can voice their protest via their wallets.

People will try their luck to save a buck; and if they can, they will, regardless of what written corp policy is. I guess that is the prevailing mindset around here. It may help you to just accept the principle of to each his own. Then you won't feel stressed about it.

Tags
double coupon, triple coupon