Looking For A Fish That Isn't Fishy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
cybilx10 has posted more than 150 good deals!cybilx10 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Looking for a Fish that isn't fishy?

I am trying to eat more fish and chicken and lean off of the red meat.

I love fried perch, but that isnt very healthy. I am looking for a type of fish that isnt very fishy tasting or smelling? Salmon, halibut? I dont know anything about fish, so any help would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ISO BTFE's and CLFE's
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 AM

RE: Looking for a Fish that isn't fishy?

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would say no to the salmon; it tends to be strong unless it's super fresh. Tilapia is so mild that it really doesn't taste like much of anything but you can dress it up with all sorts of stuff such as mango salsa.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't think salmon is a gross fish though - try it at least once. If you have a good grocery store with fresh stuff, try that and cook it the same day you get it. I don't have much access to fresh, so I buy the frozen stuff at Walmart and have always been happy with it. It's in a pink/black bag - you can either get a full half a salmon which is many servings or you can get a smaller bag that is single/double serving. Try the small bag - it's a good fish for broiling/grilling meaning it'll be healthier than frying. DH likes it with a little butter, dill & lemon on it. I like to marinate it in a teriyaki and I've had it with an orange glaze. The other good thing about salmon is that it's good cold. I like to make a big serving and then have leftovers on a salad the next day.
Andrew, Mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mallory, Missy, Summer, Boo Dog, Maggie & Slick),
(George),
(Cajun, Sonny, Rooster) and of course many many
The Following User Says Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 AM

What not to love about a sassy penguin?

My Mood/Status:
Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Sassypenguin has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Tilapia is an excellent non fishy fish, so is whiting. My new favorite fish is swai, it has a very sweet taste and bakes up very nice. All three come out of the oven very good and similar to fried if you brush them with olive oil, roll in bread crumbs and season with your favorite flavors (ours is lemon pepper). Bake for a few minutes on each side then switch to broil for two minutes and it's super crispy and delicious!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassypenguin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 PM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I didn't mean to imply that salmon was not delicious. In fact, it's one of my favorite fish. I just think it tends to be a little strong for someone who isn't particularly fond of fish in the fist place, and it's a little pricey to experiment with. For those who enjoy it, Costco has the best ever ready-to-bake salmon. It's called salmon with milano butter and you don't have to do anything to it but pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Super yummy!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayline View Post
I didn't mean to imply that salmon was not delicious. In fact, it's one of my favorite fish. I just think it tends to be a little strong for someone who isn't particularly fond of fish in the fist place, and it's a little pricey to experiment with. For those who enjoy it, Costco has the best ever ready-to-bake salmon. It's called salmon with milano butter and you don't have to do anything to it but pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Super yummy!
I hope I didn't offend - I just wanted to put my vote in for salmon. I agree if it's old it can be strong, but when fresh or a good quality frozen I think it's AWESOME. It's actually the only fish I can get DH to eat. And it's so versatile. I think it's worth trying at least once
Andrew, Mom to
(Mallory, Missy, Summer, Boo Dog, Maggie & Slick),
(George),
(Cajun, Sonny, Rooster) and of course many many
Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
holsha3 has posted more than 150 good deals!holsha3 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I can get everyone in our house to eat the blue hake that we get off the Schwan's truck. Just wanted to throw that out there if you wanted to try different kinds. It isn't very strong tasting. I usually just roll in flour then pan fry with olive oil & a pat of butter, salt & pepper to taste. HTH
Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lady_hlh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Catfish, cod, halibut and mahi mahi are all very mild fish. I miss fish, my DD won't eat it so I rarely get to have any.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
RoxieE has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!RoxieE has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!RoxieE has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!RoxieE has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!RoxieE has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!RoxieE has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Mahi Mahi is my favorite, especially grilled with blackening spices and lemon juice. yum!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 PM

anthonyn345 has posted more than 25 good deals
Swai is a nice flaky white fish that's good
The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyn345 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 05:17 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was severely allergic to seafood growing up (and everything else might I add) and I grew up in a predominantly vegetarian household, where my mom only ate veg options and seafood.. it was interesting.. so I kind of hate seafood.

I think shrimp is awful and crab tastes like chicken to me. Most fish tastes like a bad fried egg to me.

However, I can occasionally manage about 2 oz of tuna (canned)

Frozen wild salmon and super SUPER fresh wild salmon are okay too.

I LOOOVE tilapia. I love cajun encrusted tilapia. Cajun seasoning, a little extra black pepper and a spritz of olive oil. Thats it, I bake it (I don't like pan frying anything really, to be honest its just a preference) and it comes out AMAZING. I do however wrap it in tinfoil to keep it flaky and moist.

It really doesn't have a flavor of its own, in my experiences whitefish usually don't, so its definitely a good place to start.

Most people I know love those little round things.. (brain fart!) scallops I think, and you can season them pretty easily too.

My best suggestion would be try a nip of something here and there if someone you are comfortable with is having it. Its pretty easy to recreate restaurant dishes with fish.

Also.. although I despise shrimp theres a white wine shrimp appetizer that Olive Garden does.. its HEAVENLY.

I know I'm not much help, but I'm sure other ladies here are far better versed in seafood than I!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act