Need Ideas For Homemade Frozen Dinners?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Food Need Ideas for homemade frozen dinners?!?

So I purchased a few packs of these Ziploc divided containers at KMart during doubles last week and now I am trying to figure out great uses for them.

Do any of you fabulous frugalistas have any ideas for freezer meals that could be reheated in these containers?

I would love to be able to put something together that can be popped out of the freezer and into the microwave for those nights when I don't feel like cooking or DH is home by himself.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ziploc.JPG (19.9 KB, 7 views)
I was an "extreme couponer" before that phrase existed on TV. I just called myself the the crazy coupon lady! I got out of the game for a few years because I was working too much, but I got to live off of my stockpile (still haven't bought toiletries). Now I'm unemployed and trying to get back in the game.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katt42saves For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:52 PM

RE: Need Ideas for homemade frozen dinners?!?

My Mood/Status:
Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Dominochic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think you could freeze almost any of your favorite casseroles in your ziploc containers. If you cooked a whole casserole, then split it into portions in your containers and froze them, then all you would have to do is pop them out of the freezer and into the microwave. I think lasagna and enchiladas would both work really well this way, and I can't see why any other casserole wouldn't work. HTH - Good luck!
Stay-at-Home Mommy to Andrielle (4 years) and Grayden (2 years)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Positive Thoughts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominochic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 AM

SMART SHOPPER

My Mood/Status:
MS.TAMPA has posted more than 400 great deals!MS.TAMPA has posted more than 400 great deals!MS.TAMPA has posted more than 400 great deals!MS.TAMPA has posted more than 400 great deals!MS.TAMPA has posted more than 400 great deals!
i agree with the above poster. anything taste as great the 2nd time around just my oppion.
The Following User Says Thank You to MS.TAMPA For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 AM

CRAZY

My Mood/Status:
prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
read

I hate to be a kill-joy, but its really important to realize that you shouldn't cook/reheat food in plastic containers. I was a huge fan of ziplock containers, but I read that chemicals cook into your food when microwaved in plastic. Believe me, I had done this for years myself! I got worried and went and bought a load of corning glassware (the clear kind) to use in the microwave (on Amazon.com). I got a large assortment of sizes from 1 cup up to 2 quart, all with plastic lids. I now use those to cook/reheat in the microwave, and still use the ziplock, etc. just for fridge/freezer storage.
If you plan to freeze dinners in ziplocks, fine, but please read up about cooking in them. Perhaps you could freeze, then when ready to use, pop it out of the container and put into something made of glass.
Just my opinion, but I want everyone to be safe and healthy
Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
If I make a casserole to freeze, I don't season them highly because freezing concentrates salt.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cathyw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!katt42saves has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidavidson View Post
I hate to be a kill-joy, but its really important to realize that you shouldn't cook/reheat food in plastic containers. I was a huge fan of ziplock containers, but I read that chemicals cook into your food when microwaved in plastic. Believe me, I had done this for years myself! I got worried and went and bought a load of corning glassware (the clear kind) to use in the microwave (on Amazon.com). I got a large assortment of sizes from 1 cup up to 2 quart, all with plastic lids. I now use those to cook/reheat in the microwave, and still use the ziplock, etc. just for fridge/freezer storage.
If you plan to freeze dinners in ziplocks, fine, but please read up about cooking in them. Perhaps you could freeze, then when ready to use, pop it out of the container and put into something made of glass.
Just my opinion, but I want everyone to be safe and healthy

Thank you for your concern regarding my health and the health of others. Before you scare everybody, you should do additional research. As far as the safety of plastics used for food usage (storage, freezing and heating) these items are safe. There has been a multitude of research regarding food safety and plastics, especially these days with all the concerns of consumers and parents.

Ziploc and many other brands of food storage are perfectly safe and all of this information can be gained by a simple web search. Here is a link to an article that is clearly written and easily understood (unlike so many research articles) regarding the safety of these items: Dangers of Heating Food in Plastic - Microwave Health Risks - Bisphenol A - Goodhousekeeping.com

Thank you again for your concern for everyone's health. We appreciate it. I just hate to see misinformation spread without research.

I mostly use glass in my kitchen, but it is so much easier to pack a meal to go in plastic. It is hard enough to get my DH to pack his meal for work, and if it takes some plastic containers- so be it.
I was an "extreme couponer" before that phrase existed on TV. I just called myself the the crazy coupon lady! I got out of the game for a few years because I was working too much, but I got to live off of my stockpile (still haven't bought toiletries). Now I'm unemployed and trying to get back in the game.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katt42saves For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM

CRAZY

My Mood/Status:
prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!prep54 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I never meant to frighten anyone, but I do thank you for the informative article. I have a lot of faith in the Good Housekeeping seal of approval, so I stand corrected on my thoughts.
Sorry folks!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 AM

wants 2 save more this yr

My Mood/Status:
LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
as pp i think any meal can be a frozen dinner lets say you make rice veggies and meat you can easily freeze that as well as tacos minus the tortilla/shell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaLax2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 04:14 PM

SVinnie

My Mood/Status:
SVinnie has posted more than 10 good deals
Our favorites for freezer cooking are: Chili, Mac-n-cheese, cream of mushroom soup, beef stew, quiche, and shepherds pie. All of which I've used ziplock bags & storage containers straight from the freezer to the microwave (though I do usually take them out of the containers before heating - but hubby doesn't)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVinnie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2010, 06:49 AM

My Mood/Status:
lilacii has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lilacii has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lilacii has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lilacii has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lilacii has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lilacii has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lilacii has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
If I may, check out Money Saving Mom's blog. She (and others) do a freezer baking day- Great ideas and recipes are included! (I love the muffins!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilacii For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 PM

loves to crochet
proud nana !!! love my Karson !

My Mood/Status:
vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I make a large lasagna and then freeze individual sized portions with the left overs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicki518 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Jesus I trust in you

My Mood/Status:
atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!atinywhisperingsound has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by katt42saves View Post
So I purchased a few packs of these Ziploc divided containers at KMart during doubles last week and now I am trying to figure out great uses for them.

Do any of you fabulous frugalistas have any ideas for freezer meals that could be reheated in these containers?

I would love to be able to put something together that can be popped out of the freezer and into the microwave for those nights when I don't feel like cooking or DH is home by himself.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
I have some 3 section freezables and one serving freezables. They are great for inserting leftovers; and when you are in a hurry and very hungry they are GREAT! Used one today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atinywhisperingsound For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM

JulieBoolie has posted more than 400 great deals!JulieBoolie has posted more than 400 great deals!JulieBoolie has posted more than 400 great deals!JulieBoolie has posted more than 400 great deals!JulieBoolie has posted more than 400 great deals!
One day I was reheating some chili in the microwave and when I went later to wash the plastic container I'd used, I could NOT get the stain out.

Looking closer at the container, I could see where it had pitted the surface and changed texture.

I sat and thought for a minute.

"Now just where did all that extra melted plastic go to?"

It went into the food I ate obviously.

I don't reheat in plastic anymore. I do reheat in glass. I do freeze in plastic as well, but transfer it to glass for cooking.

Tags
freezer cooking, meals