Having A Hard Time Coping After Losing House To Hurricane Sandy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
FruNor has posted more than 50 good deals
Help Sign Having a hard time coping after losing house to Hurricane Sandy

During Hurricane Sandy our house was flooded with 3 feet of water destroying our home and a lot of our belongings. It has been completely devastating for us and our 2 sons.

We have gutted our house and thrown away all of our wet furniture, clothes, toys, books, appliances, etc. which was really hard to come to terms with. I know we are lucky to be alive, but I just feel so hopeless right now. Our flood insurance doesn't cover the contents of our house and will only pay a fraction of what it costs to fix it. I have no idea where we will get the money from or what to do. FEMA has denied us assistance because we have flood insurance. And now we have gotten 2 estimates and the cost of fixing our house is almost the same as demolishing and rebuilding. I am also worried about all the mold because our 3-year-old has severe asthma.

I just miss my home and seeing my husband and boys happy. (My mom has let us move in to her extra bedroom for the next few months until we figure out what to do.)

Everything is so overwhelming and I am so tired of fighting with insurance, FEMA and contractors. My 2 little boys are having such a hard time dealing with everything and I feel like we are all on a sinking ship and I can't do anything to save my family. My 3-year-old was playing with his Legos and I asked him what he had built. He told me it was a hurricane shelter to keep babies safe so that they don't die during Hurricanes. That broke my heart.

I know somehow it will all work out, but I am having a really hard time staying positive. Usually I am so strong and can handle anything, but this is just more than I can take.

Sorry for rambling. I just need some support right now. :-(
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FruNor For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM

RE: Having a hard time coping after losing house to Hurricane Sandy

marycoupon879 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!marycoupon879 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!marycoupon879 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!marycoupon879 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!marycoupon879 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!marycoupon879 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!marycoupon879 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I'm so sorry that this happened to you and the running around that you are having to deal with. It is like a catch22, and you are on the losing end. I do believe that things will work out in the end. Just hang in there and keep the family safe and intact. I'm praying for you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marycoupon879 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
kerijak6 has posted more than 400 great deals!kerijak6 has posted more than 400 great deals!kerijak6 has posted more than 400 great deals!kerijak6 has posted more than 400 great deals!kerijak6 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I am deeply sorry for your lost and struggle, I can only begin to imagine what you and your family have gone through. God has a plan for everything and just keep believing that everyday and he will see you through this better than you were before.
Please don't feel bad for rambling, it's understandable . You and your family are in my prayer and I wish many blessings and prosperity for you guys in 2013!!
I can never understand these insurance policies, they are just taking all the premiums and when time to pay off there is always an issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hi, I am Tasha and I am a coupon junkie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kerijak6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Trying to be a Proverbs 31 woman
"My Home" Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
This is heartwrenching. Praise God that your family is safe, but I completely understand your concern and hurting. Hurricane Katrina changed my life just by experiencing it, and we didn't even have any real damage. I will be praying for you to receive clear answers and positive results.
, Colton
, & Reagan

Join us in
!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brieclark For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 AM

Always Clipping, Clipping, Clipping!!
AFC Moderator =o)

My Mood/Status:
MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MommaOf2Many has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!

Are you an Active, Deal Sharing Member??? - You can be a
Volunteer!

Love AFC? Like Helping Others? Please post in
for more info on becoming part of the Buddy and/or Welcome Wagon team!

Hi! I'm Heather! ... and these are my Kiddos:
Elijah 16
, Khiara 8
, Kabreena 6
, Teigan 1
and SoCo 9
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MommaOf2Many For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 AM

couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!
Wow, I share your pain..I live on the south shore of Long Island. I lost my car to the surge we had and I had several rooms under water. We also gutted rooms. I didnt even know I had to do that. I also have a flood policy and was denied by fema for the same reason. I do have contents on it thank goodness so I hope I wont lose too much money. I threw a lot of stuff out the days after the storm without taking photos because I was so upset, now I know better. I am hoping anything that can mold is out of the house . i sat in a wet house for 2 weeks with no electric and no fresh food. The house was 44 degrees. I was getting sick. I lost my washer and dryer also so havent had clean laundry in a month. I am repairing the rooms right now so I hope that things will get back to almost normal soon. State Farm just took my car away this Friday it took them almost a month to get it. Now I have to wait for payment. I had to buy a car off of a dealers lot because there were no cars to rent and I had no car for 3 weeks. I dont know how people go through these flood over and over again
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to couponfiend For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruNor View Post
My 3-year-old was playing with his Legos and I asked him what he had built. He told me it was a hurricane shelter to keep babies safe so that they don't die during Hurricanes. That broke my heart.
Sending prayers for your family.. Your son gave me tears. Please give him a hug and let him know we think he is strong heartful young man.

Working mommy to 6yr old
and 5mth old
;
Mr. Jericho and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArwenEvenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
You & your family are in my thoughts & prayers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momabrown3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM

Proud mother of two wonderful young men.

My Mood/Status:
FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!FOOTBALLMOM2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I'll pray for you and your family tonight. Hope things work out for all of you. Keep your head high for your lovely children.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sweety33 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweety33 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I am so sorry. Take one day at a time. Praying for all those who were affected by Sandy...Hugs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bookwormpeg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Favorite Time of the Year!

My Mood/Status:
CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CouponSanta has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I am so sorry - Hurricane Sandy did an incredible amount of damage.

I am sending uplifting thoughts and prayer.
!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CouponSanta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM

is thankful for holidays that bring family home

My Mood/Status:
brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Sorry for your losses

Things will get better, so be persistent in seeking help...some of these agencies are trained to say no, hoping you go away, especially insurance

Sent from my DROIDX using AFullCup
-
- - Brook6 - -
-
-
- -

> - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - >
-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brook6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM

My Mood/Status:
Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive words. I really appreciate it.

It looks like we will most likely have to demolish ad rebuild. :-( We had an architect/structural engineer come out because it seemed like the back of our house shifted. The back door wouldn't close and there was a crack on the Sheetrock. Turns out the foundation pretty much washed away and it is hollow underneath the back extension! (I added a pic.)

I feel like we uncover a new issue everyday! I guess that is always how it is when you are demolishing and rebuilding or doing construction. Ugh!

Monday afternoon I have a company coming to give us an estimate on fixing the foundation, so then I will know exactly how serious it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1606178817.jpg (72.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM

"Believe the Impossible"
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mkrmylove has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm sorry that you and your family are suffering through the affects of Sandy.

I pray that God will guide you,comfort you and provide you everything you need to get through this.

Kroger Ad Scan

The Following User Says Thank You to mkrmylove For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Spring, spring, spring!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I am so, so sorry. The losses incurred by sandy are devastating. I can't imagine the devastation and lack of control you are feeling. Your DS brought tears to my eyes. Hugs to your family. I hope you are able to come out of this with things looking better than before. I just donated a lot of my stockpile to Sandy victims (our local FD made a trip). I still have plenty of HBAs as well as a 3 year old so I have some kids' stuff. You van have the stuff, not the 3 year old! Please let me know if I can RAOK a box for you.

Positive Thoughts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM

Happy New Year!
Rockin' Coupon Mom (& Wife!)

My Mood/Status:
GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm so so sorry....

I have a special place in my heart or Hurrican Sandy victims as my family is in NJ currently and lots of friends and family were affected in No. NJ and NY.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GardenCat1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
A little update from me:

Before I update on our situation I must thank a few people. I don't know where to post this, but I am hoping this will be seen by all of you who have been so kind to me. I have been receiving cards from people on here with beautiful words of encouragement and even some generous packages and presents. Most of you haven't written a return address or username, rather how you are "a cup filler". I am amazed and so deeply touched by all of you on here who have been so kind, thoughtful and generous. Coming home and checking the mail has been the highlight of our gloomy days this last few weeks. It has been like a little game to us seeing if anything has arrived in the mail and then opening it up without a clue what it is or who it is from. It is such a great feeling knowing that people care and that we aren't alone. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart...it has meant so much to my family and I.

As far as our situation goes, not much is new. We have been at a bit of a standstill. Until we know how much money we will get from our flood insurance, we won't know if we will be able to afford to rebuild or have to give up our house. We have been trying to gather estimates but it is so hard just to get contractors, electricians, roofers, etc. out to give us estimates and many are now charging to do so. We have also been fighting our homeowner's insurance who gave us a ridiculous settlement for our roof and rainwater damage and are still waiting to hear what the flood insurance will offer us. So nothing new there.

On December 1st my oldest son turned 5. It was the first time we haven't had a birthday party at our house, so it was a little sad for my husband and I, although my son had a great time (it was at one of those indoor bouncy house places).

The boys are doing ok. It seems like we all have good days and bad days. The boys still get angry, sad and confused about it all and say they just want to go home. The holidays make it all a little harder too. They keep asking if Santa will know where to go because we have no house and no Christmas tree.

After the hurricane and now the horrific event on Friday, I am once again reminded of what is really important in life: family and friends. That is what I am trying to remember when I feel down about losing the house and our things. I am so grateful that we are all alive and together. And I am forever grateful to all of you who have brightened my hopeless days.

Tags
flood, hurricane sandy, support