Poor DH On Life Support & Dialysis~Update:Has Pneumonia& MayHaveHad A StrokeMonthsAgo

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM

RE: Poor DH on Life Support & Dialysis~Update:Has Pneumonia& MayHaveHad A StrokeMonthsAgo

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

ChemgioKs1
Wow! Like this picture
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 AM

RE: Poor DH on Life Support & Dialysis~Update:Has Pneumonia& MayHaveHad A StrokeMonthsAgo

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Hi Iris. don't worry about putting us to sleep. I know I've mentioned this before but we almost moved out there after Andy retired from the Navy he was going to work for NASA but basically the job fell through with the shut downs. Just as well, not much longer after that things went down hill and months later with testing we found out about the MS and the climate here works for him,plus at the time we had 10+ years into a mortgage during a buyers market. I want to say he's doing well but we are still having issues with getting his steroid treatment. The medical community is such a mess. I understand your frustration with staff that are just in for a paycheck. You and John are just so strong. Once again just Email me if I you need anything.

Love and Hugs,
Lyn and family.
The Following User Says Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM

I'm in a New York state of mind...

My Mood/Status:
forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Help Sign

Quick shout out for some help:<br>
<br>
John has to take potassium every day since he's taking a diuretic for swelling/fluid reduction.<br>
<br>
Potassium pills are like horse pills; they're huge. Even breaking them in half is still hard to take cause then one side is rough and still super wide.
<br>
Each pill is 20 meqs' s. He takes 2 pills twice a day.<br>

When he was in the hospital once, he was given potassium pills that were large-ish round like a disc shape ; orange in color. The same&nbsp; hospital gave him the horse pills so I think they just ran out of the other manufacturer. <br>

Anyway, I'm trying to find this orange pill.&nbsp; I called the pharmacy where all his 100 RXs are; they';re so lazy and useless. <br>

Anyway, is anyone familiar with this other manufscturer/pill?<br>

Thanks in advance for any help.<br>

Gotta run for now.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

It doesn't matter that you get knocked down in life;
all that matters is that you have to get up.
The Following User Says Thank You to forevergrateful For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!forevergrateful has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Update; well, sort of; no solution yet

After I posted my above post about the potassium, I googled it & found a site that had all the different pills; strengths; names, photos, manufacturers & even the national number so I could give it to the pharmacist.

I couldn't find what I was looking for. There were a number of 10 mEq ones, but then he'd have to take twice as many, so that was sort of defeating the purpose. Then I called and spoke to a pharmacist I know and some of the capsules and/or 10 mEq pills were just as large.

Anyway, I called the drs nurse and explained the situation to her & asked if she could prescribe something that wasn't so large. So we shall see. Nothing yet.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Hi Iris~Can't help you with the Rx, but there is another source of pure Potassium. Used to take K+ 20mEq twice daily, too big & high co-pay.
I can't recommend this, but will share what I do with my MD OK since I can't take the high sugar powder formula.

1). Nu-Salt Salt Substitute~ is 100% powdered Potassium Chloride, exactly what is in Potatssium pills, sold at Grocery Stores.
3oz/$2.18. By Cumberland Corp. in a royal blue shaker.

2). My dose=1/6 teaspoon=530mg twice a day in 8oz fluid with food, replaces the 2 pills/day. John's needs & body may be different per MD.

3). Potassium pills are in milliequivalents(mEq), Nu-salt is in milligrams(mg) which are entirely different measurements.
Correct measurement is crucial, since too high or too low Potassium levels effect the heart rhythm, so that is why my MD follows my levels freq.

4). Pourfect 13pc measuring spoons, Amazon~
Pourfect is what I use to measure the Nu-Salt Potassium replacement. Cost=$17.95, & start at 1/32 teaspoon, 1/16 t, 1/8 t, 1/6 t, 1/3 t on up.
Using the 1/6 teaspoon has worked well for 30 years, I'm able to swallow it & saved a lot of $$$$ on co-pays.

5). Though you may never use it, it is a relief to have a last resort in place.

I'm still Praying for you & John, Zo.

Last edited by nowpoints; 02-19-2017 at 06:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
zemat3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!zemat3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!zemat3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!zemat3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!zemat3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!zemat3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!zemat3 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Hi Iris, I agree - there is a powder formula. DH used to take K-Lite (or K-Lyte?) but I'm not sure they make it anymore (or the name changed). Much easier than the pills. Try looking up K-Lor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zemat3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Years ago I had to take Potassium and they gave me some capsules that you opened and poured into a glass of water. It tasted terrible but much easier than the horse pills they try to give you in the hospital.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Interesting explanation on why health care is so crappy in Texas: https://www.texasobserver.org/anatomy-tragedy/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 03:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
Thank you all for the info on the potassium. The drs office wound up suggesting a liquid; gets mixed with 8 oz of water; twice a day, so it's sort of defeating the purpose of him being on a fluid restriction.

The nurse at the drs office said it's super expensive and the insurance will probably deny it; so they would appeal it. Well, his ibsurance approved it right away, which was good.

It costs over $1,700.00 for one months supply.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John has to meet a $4,900. deductible every year for RXs and then he has low copays (that continue to go up every year, of course); so since he's met that, his company was low; but can you imagine????? For potassium????? That's insane!!!

Anyway; have to run, but thank you all for your tremendous help. I haven't been on since I posted that and remembered recently I had to update what we went with.

Hopefully he'll be off the diuretic soon and then be able to stop the potassium.

I wound up getting two more months supply though since his co pay is the same for one month or three; the pharmacy has in their computer they are always supposed to fill the 3 months but of course they forgot.

Thanks again to everyone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forevergrateful For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 03:05 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock View Post
Interesting explanation on why health care is so crappy in Texas: https://www.texasobserver.org/anatomy-tragedy/
Thank you; will check it out and reply next time I'm on, as I have to run now. Would love to figure it out. Five years later and I'm still at a loss. There's really no excuse.

Thanks always!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM

My Mood/Status:
Unhappy Please pray for John....

We're in the ER; had to call an ambulance; not sure if GFB DH had a stroke.

I'm really scared.

More later.

Mega prayers please.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forevergrateful For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 03:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Oh Iris, sending prayers yours and Johns way.
Giant Hugs,
Lyn
The Following User Says Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 PM

Missing you all
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Drea has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Hi my dear lost friend. Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you and my boyfriend . How's everything going. Not so good it seems. Are you still in Tx I haven't spoke to you in so long now. I've been in De taking care of my grandson but would love to hear from you. How are you doing and your problems did you take care of them yet. Hugs to you both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 05:20 PM

is truly blessed!!

My Mood/Status:
preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Iris, I am praying for you and John.
Go ahead......
Say something!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preciousgirl1120 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 02:15 AM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Praying for you & John.
The Following User Says Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post: